• Network: A&E
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 3, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3
8.2

1. Jul 9, 2012
    Craig Johnson's wonderful novels and their rich characters form the basis for this great show! The way the details about the characters are uncovered in each episode - keeps me intrigued. There's something comforting about Walt Longmire - the stoicism of classic Old West lawmen as memorialized by Clint Eastwood & John Wayne - are embodied in a modern day crime solver who does things in the "old school" way. He doesn't have a squad of forensic experts to rely on, he pulls his own prints, he picks up litter when he sees it and he'll not stop until he finds justice. Some have complained about its slow pace, but to me that is precisely one of the most attractive elements of the show. It gives the viewer time to enjoy the scenery, analyze the characters & to contemplate the dilemmas and their repercussions.

There's a diverse assortment of supporting cast surrounding Walt - including:

The big city detective Vic (Katee Sackhoff) - not yet comfortable with the wild west of Wyoming, but she's quickly earned her kudos; The eager deputy - The Ferg (Adam Bartley) - who earnestly questions his own qualifications all the while working diligently to prove he has them;

The overly ambitious Branch - who's literally gunning for Walt's job while criticizing his "old school" methods (which seem to be working just fine, thank you) and sleeping with his daughter;

Walt's childhood friend Henry (Lou Diamond Phillips) - who as a Native American - helps Walt navigate the sometimes tense relations between Longmire & tribal police. Just to name a few! I am surprised how quickly I've become invested in the characters. I want to know more about Walt's past, his deceased wife, about Vic's tenuous marriage and his daughter's choices for a romantic relationship. I can't wait for each Sunday and the new episode it brings. I celebrated upon learning that Longmire was picked up for another season! I'm already so infatuated with the cast, I cannot imagine a Sunday without them in it.
  2. Jul 15, 2012
    Rural Wyoming criminal investigation without the genre-typical CSI technology from the thirty-fifth century. So far the characters are mostly convincing and the setting keeps things interesting. It is a bit disappointing that it is always about murder, but on the other hand the actual cases are refreshingly ordinary.
  3. Jun 16, 2013
    Yes it starts out at a slower folksy tempo, but great writing, excellent character development and hands down superb casting pulls the intelligent viewer in. Take the time to watch them in order, and, by god, I swear when you get to episode 8 (one of the BEST episodes I've seen from ANY TV series) you will find yourself verbally interacting with the story (it's that good!). For example, I found myself cheering on a character I did not like early on. Interweaving character story lines along with secrets and insights slowly unfolding like peeling back an onion, at a seasonal building arc and tempo make this a finely crafted television series indeed. Expand
  4. Jul 8, 2012
    Our family can't get enough of this show. Very well written, fabulous cast. The sheriff does a great job and I can't wait to figure out the story behind all the flashbacks. If you haven't seen the show yet, I recommend you at least check out an episode or two.
  5. Sep 7, 2012
    I love this show. It's extremely well acted. It's real. It doesn't constantly shove homosexuality down your throat!! SO REFRESHING!!! And I love that part of the country. I lived out in Wyoming for 5 years and worked in Yellowstone and people out there are practical, matter of fact and non pretentious a lot like your show. The sheriff is the Matt Dillon (Gunsmoke) of my generation and I just love him Expand
  6. Aug 12, 2012
    Longmire is one of those shows that doesn't come along too often. It is believable (unlike many of the others cop shows I watch. A lot of the politics that are portrayed on Longmire are very real in law enforcement and the Longmire character is almost too real. I really love the show and its characters. I hope it remains and comes back next season
  7. Aug 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love a good western, but this really isn't a "Western" in the sense that you have a COWBOY and he is the Sheriff of the town and rides a horse, keeping the riff raff out of the saloon, but that's not to say those entities do not exist in this show. There is even an Indian reservation that the Sheriff had a hand in taking care of a "crooked" "Indian land" sheriff if you want to call him that, so Walt, the main character isn't really completely loved by those on the the Reservation, but he is respected. I love the show, the way it was set up, kind of like the movie "Unforgiven" where there really are no "good guys" on the show, but for the most part, Walt is as GOOD as one can get these days, and he really cares about ALL the citizens he is the Sheriff of. He even cares about the Indians on the reservation and he isn't so quick to always blame them for anything that may point in their direction. The show is very addicting, and has a lot of ways to draw you in as a viewer. You find yourself caring for each character in their own way. Each one has flaws, but you overlook them for the greater good and I like that about this show, a LOT. I am like others, interested in reading the actual books this show is based on. Season 1 ended last night in the Season 1 finale, and I am so glad they didn't cancel this show, and I pray that A&E extends to Longmire a much longer contract for more shows for Season 2. It definitely warrants it, their ratings, along with the iTunes and other ways to watch the show should count towards it's total viewership. I bought the season pass from iTunes because I love watching commercial free, and I realize that A&E doesn't get ad revenue from that venue, but they do get a portion of the $3 I paid per episode for HD versions, and that's about how much you probably more than you get from the advertisers that pay you on a per person rate most likely. I don't know how all that goes, but I just know I love the show and am willing to pay for it even though I could DVR it, but I like the commercial free part, and it's a show worth every penny.

Please, order more episodes for Season 2, there are a LOT of questions that need to be answered, but I just love each character on the show, they each have their own qualities, and they need to be explored more. I look forward to really getting to know all these characters and their stories as the next season unfolds. I hope Walt opens up to his daughter about her mother's murder and how he avenged her, which came out in the last episode. We will have to see. I can't wait until the next season, which I hope is this FALL, not waiting until next Summer to bring it out. This show is every bit as good as ANYTHING the Alphabet's are putting out there (their Canned TV shows that mimic each other "Glass House" - "Big Brother"...are you kidding me? Really?
  8. Jul 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What character development! This may be the best written police show on TV right now. It is also set in some of the most beautiful part of America. Like so may interesting characters, Walt Longmire has plenty of problems. He has a election to win and his wife just died. He also likes his "Ranier" beer a little too much. Give this a watch. Expand
  9. Nov 3, 2013
    Longmire is captivating and draws you leaving you wanting more. I only wish they could air it all year long! I love Katee Sackhoff and Robert Taylor (who I hadn't heard of before but he's a renowned Australian actor) and of course Lou Diamond Phillips. I, too, have read all of Craig Johnson's books and was thrilled when the TV series debuted and it has not let me down. Cowboy meets CSI with native American shamanism thrown in. The casting is bang on, the producers have brought Craig Johnson's characters to life. Robert Taylor plays Walt Longmire flawlessly and Katee Sackhoff plays Vick with just as much sass and provocation as the books. This show is definitely in my top 5 shows. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Jun 5, 2012
    As with any pilot, Longmire barely scratches the surface of the possible directions it could go but the premiere does an excellent job establishing a sense of place and character. It's enough to make a viewer want to return for more.
  2. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Jun 4, 2012
    Longmire isn't a conventional show. The mystery tonight might be slight, but the pilot is a dusty little gem.
  3. Reviewed by: Maysa Hattab
    Jun 4, 2012
    Despite its early dependence on Western and Gender War clich├ęs, Longmire shows potential.