• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 19, 2014
  • Season #: 1
7.8

1. Feb 9, 2014
    The series covers gay topics that are relevant, however the lack of direction is alarming... Also the editing is atrocious with very choppy scene changes and awkward stops. Cinematography is very dusky and gives a general depressed feeling to the show. There is a general lack of character development in the first few episodes that would help establish rapport with different tribes of the gay community. The show lacks punch in really hitting home the themes it wants to establish, is it the growing geek/gaymer community, the bear community, the multi racial theme. Not that we want sex to drive every show, but it needs a bit of spit and polish to make this show shine. Youtube has better home made shows that would be a better use of bandwidth. Expand
  2. Apr 11, 2014
    this should not even be on hbo . its terrible, weird , distrubing . Burn in hell Creator Micheal Lannan . Grade F-......................................................................
  3. Apr 11, 2014
    According to this show, Juan Pablo was correct in saying that homos are perverts. Boy how HBO can get some shows totally right and then dump other greats meanwhile produce something as bad as this? I don't get it. Anyway. Looking is nothing more than a disgusting look at the big city materialistic American mentality. That is, sex drugs and I'm gay everybody look at me. Seriously, who cares. I'm not gay and don't look at me. What pathetic values these people have. Expand
  4. Mar 19, 2014
    This show is looking for some good writing, editing, and direction. The characters are completely dull and uni-dimensional, and after each episode I'm left feeling like 30 minutes passed and I was sitting in front of a screen with nothing but static and disparate Instagram photos of San Francisco with no apparent thematic relation or overall story line.

I get that the protagonist is
    flawed and has issues, but a skillful writer can take that concept and make it so the character isn't flat out annoying. The supporting protagonists are mere interlopers to the show as a whole, showing up just when you want to flip all the tables at every coffee shop in the mission because the main character is so annoying. After watching every episode of the first season I feel like I know nothing more about these people or their environment than I did when the first episode aired. Basically, there's no story at least not one that is interesting.

The editing and direction need serious help too. There are pregnant pauses and long overwrought sighs in the dialogue that are wasted moments for character development. Not to mention the long looks at computer screens for OKCupid or Grindr. I found myself adding my own dialogue in these moments and then questioned why I am even paying HBO for this show when I'm clearly doing a much better job of entertaining myself. There are out of place scenes that don't offer much and there are times when I felt like the director didn't even show up to the filming and the actors were winging it.

In the end this show is nothing but a concept, that being "Gay men. 2014. San Francisco." From the end product it looks like there was little or no thought past that. There needs to be something more than that, let us know where these people are from, what brought them to San Francisco, where do they want to go, how do they know each other? I will say this, my favorite part of the entire first season was the last 2 minutes of the last episode...where you are watching two of the protagonists watch the Golden Girls, a show with all of the attributes that Looking is looking for.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Feb 7, 2014
    The one thing lacking is writing that goes beyond fondness into truly funny. [17 Feb 2014, p.45]
  2. Reviewed by: Neil Drumming
    Feb 3, 2014
    Patrick is fidgety, disturbingly intense and possibly a bit snobbish to boot--not unwatchable, but, as yet, far from endearing. Fortunately, Looking has plenty else going for it.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Jan 21, 2014
    Looking might be the most provocative series of 2014. It’s just not original or memorable.