7.8

1. Jul 27, 2012
    I got hooked on this show after watching the pilot of season 1. In addition to having an interesting ongoing plot throughout the season, each episode has its own supernatural mystery. A big strength of the first season is the supporting cast and their chemistry with the lead character Bo. The relationship between Bo and Dyson is very compelling, and I love the friendship between Bo andI got hooked on this show after watching the pilot of season 1. In addition to having an interesting ongoing plot throughout the season, each episode has its own supernatural mystery. A big strength of the first season is the supporting cast and their chemistry with the lead character Bo. The relationship between Bo and Dyson is very compelling, and I love the friendship between Bo and Kenzi (Bo's roommate and former con-artist). Kenzi's character is hilarious, and manages to bring out the best in every character. Season 2 was a disappointment as it lacked the awesome camaraderie between Bo, Dyson and Kenzi. I'm hoping that the 3rd season brings back some of the qualities that I loved in the first season. Expand
  2. Jan 18, 2012
    Season 2 is finishing up here in Canada. I enjoyed the earlier episodes of season 1 -- though it becomes a bit boring and uninspired towards the end of season. The downward spiral continues in season 2, and I stopped watching after the first few episodes. The glowing eyes while someone's essence-cloud is sucked out gets old quick, unfortunately it's the most often used effect.

My favorite

My favorite is Lost Girl's sidekick, with comedic timing that rises above the material -- I expect she'll become a household name in years to come :-) A fun show early on, but the writers make it easy to give up on the show as it progresses to a 2nd season.
  3. Feb 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. I cant stand the starting of the show, for the pilot it was ok, not for the second season anymore. And the cheesy one-liners just do not work, they should give it up already. I did like the 1 season a lot, but im getting more and more annoyed with the show. Yes, we know the wolf-boy doesn't want the succubus anymore. Everybody knows that, besides the succubus. I never felt so neutral about a main character before. She is supposed to ge so important, with prophecies and all that, but when she actually does something in the show, she always gets her ass kicked first, while acting like a bad ass. Also this dragged out lesbian thing going on with the blond doctor? Never though seeing two women kiss could be so boring. The main character never uses her powers for anything, besides calming people down, which has to be the cheapest of all the tricks a succubus can do. I would like to just keep watching the show without her in it. Love the sidekick and the dwarf/bar owner/blood king though. I hope they start focusing more on all the creatures and magic. Collapse
  4. Jan 21, 2012
    Disclaimer: I only watched the first episode. It was so bad that I was unable to watch any more.

I gave this show a shot based on the Metacritic plot summary; seemed interesting enough. The show turned out to be what I'd term as "very TV" meaning that the directing, acting, writing, and design are all corny and far below the level of quality that you would expect from a movie. The

The costume and scenic design are both over the top and completely unbelievable. Not "unrealistic" in a clever way that makes any type of comment, but in an empty Hollywood way where every piece looks as though worked great as a standalone sketch on the drawing board. Somehow the elements don't come together as a whole.

The worst travesties begin with the writing. The initial concept had something going for it; the execution was more or less unimaginative beyond that point. The dialogue is full of cheesy one-liners that lack any real wit, and it is all delivered by actors who are by all means..."acting." I'm not sure there was even a director present who did anything more than tell the editor when to cut camera.
  5. Feb 10, 2013
    Overall, this is a good show with interesting and endearing characters as well as a pretty neat mythology. In lost girl, magical beings secretly live in modern society and are all various species of fae. There's succubi, werewolves, sirens, nymphs, and so on. These creatures are split in allegiance to two groups: the Light Fae, and the Dark. Bo, the protagonist, begins as a woman withOverall, this is a good show with interesting and endearing characters as well as a pretty neat mythology. In lost girl, magical beings secretly live in modern society and are all various species of fae. There's succubi, werewolves, sirens, nymphs, and so on. These creatures are split in allegiance to two groups: the Light Fae, and the Dark. Bo, the protagonist, begins as a woman with freaky powers who isn't sure what she is or who her real parents are (she was adopted). Bo comes to discover that she is a lost member of the fae community, but because she was raised apart from them she's unfamiliar with their culture and ways of doing things and becomes determined to continue to live her own life. She pairs up with a few allies and the show becomes a crime drama/fantasy hybrid.

Where the show excels is definitely in its characters and the intrigue of getting to know the world. Bo is intensely likeable and empathic, despite her somewhat dark past (stemming from her uncontrollable and misunderstood abilities). Her friend and sidekick, a young human thief with street smarts, adds a lot of comedy and energy. Bo's also quickly given a very sexy hunk of a love interest. So between the warmth and budding bonds and the mystery of the Light and Dark that Bo struggles to at once stay away from and side with, it holds your attention. However, it's not perfect. The show's weakest points are when it delves to far into either standalone crime episodes and becomes typical Law Order with a little magic thrown in, or big action mythology arcs that get outlandish to the point of cheese and not being able to connect to it any longer. Additionally, minor pop-up characters are frequently hammy and b-movie to the extreme, which is especially glaring when they're supposed to serve an episodes' antagonist. I recommend it to genre fans looking for a good time and some new characters to get into (as the main cast is solid). It nowhere reaches the masterpiece heights of, say, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but it is comparable to shows like Being Human and Moonlight (although with a much heavier dose of magic). Maybe a better way to phrase it would be to say that it sits comfortably between a A-grade Buffy and a D-grade Charmed.
  6. Aug 15, 2014
    Just started watching this show and am catching up. Just finished looking at season 2. I must say i m very disappointed with the outcome of this storyline. They built up this war coming with the Garuda, who is supposed to be this all powerful being. Some Fae are being controlled by him, others leaving city out of fear of the coming battle. Now, what did we wind up getting? A cast ofJust started watching this show and am catching up. Just finished looking at season 2. I must say i m very disappointed with the outcome of this storyline. They built up this war coming with the Garuda, who is supposed to be this all powerful being. Some Fae are being controlled by him, others leaving city out of fear of the coming battle. Now, what did we wind up getting? A cast of thousands of light and dark Fae fighting it out with the Garuda minions on the bloodied plains? Nope, we got 15 people fighting it out in an abandoned asylum and the all powerful Garuda going out in a puff of smoke. Talk about anti-climatic. I'm done with this series.
    Worst character in this series is Kenzi. I mean do we really need a ''sidekick'' spewing out the one liners every time she opens her mouth? She just really gets on my nerves. Anyway, 'nuff said, i m outta here big time.
  7. Dec 2, 2013
    Smart and funny show with the biggest heart.

This show is about the characters and i have to say it has an amazing cast and they have fun making this and it really comes through. It deserves least a 9 because it achieves what it tries to, which is to have a good story with characters you love.
  8. Nov 26, 2014
    I have made it all the way to season 3, but is still a bit of a struggle, I find myself losing interest or skipping through scene's and when I do, I can see I haven't missed much.
    It is very same same, dark fae, light fae, I don't really see the difference. I found the only episode to be any different was when Bo was in Prison for a short time, because it felt like they were doing something different as the series was progressing outside the bar and the shack, but within the same episode, it was back to fighting the dark fae, her back in her shack and me losing interest again.
    Dyson, a boring mundane character, Hale who really is a pointless character in the whole series with whistling skills (whoop) that he barely ever uses (because they are pointless) Trick who just is an encyclopedia of fae's and pulls the odd pint. Kenzi is the only one of the characters who makes the show a little more entertaining with her craic and obviously Bo, well she is the eye candy that makes it worth watching.
    The only good thing they did mange with this show is to get good looking characters...all besides Lauren, who basically is just a block of wood that does not excud any sexual attraction whatsoever who should be fae...the robot fae.
    I don't know how this managed to pull off 5 seasons, but hopefully it will get better, but so far, it's pretty stuck in its ways and has no imagination for a good plot.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Feb 2, 2012
    Girl has a surprisingly casual sense of humor and Anna Silk is physically just right in the lead role. [13 Feb 2012, p.45]
  2. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Jan 17, 2012
    With a witty script by series creator Michelle Lovretta, Lost Girl mixes mystery-of-the-week plots and character stories with an overarching mythology in a way that's palatable for fans of serialized and procedural dramas.
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Jan 17, 2012
    The action and whimsy help compensate for an overall flatness in the rest of the ensemble casting and low-budget production.