• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 22, 2004
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7
8.6

1. May 25, 2011
    Best show ever made! Absolutely amazing, best acting, storyline, or plot ever. I don't know one thing wrong with the show because it is the best ever.
  2. May 25, 2013
    Following the cracking season three finale expectations were high for this slightly shortened season four, fortunately it mostly delivered.

Throughout the season new characters were introduced as Lost's universe is expanded outside of life on the island and the 'flash-forward' technique gradually revealed the ultimate fates of some of the original survivors. With the end goal now firmly
    insight Lost yet again made for compulsive viewing and watching the show on DVD certainly makes it easier to comprehend the complex plot. Now if only we could find out the answers to some of those long lingering questions! Expand
  3. Jun 7, 2012
    Season 4 is an anomaly. It turns you every which way without offering a true north and yet it's great. Yes there are more questions, but at least they're worth getting in to. The pulse of this show remains strong and the story engaging. It's as good as any previous season of Lost and is wonderful to watch with Netflix as you can just pound out each episode without commercials. The new characters aren't immediately valuable from a viewers standpoint, but given a little time you'll take to them like they were part of the original crash survivors. There's no reason to stop watching Lost in its fourth season. Expand
  4. Nov 19, 2010
    Absolutely fantastic first season. The premise was unique and fascinating, and the ensemble cast was wonderful. I honestly couldn't believe how good this show was. I was hooked, but then their best writer left after season 1, and they proceeded to make those OTHER seasons. The fact is that the remaining writers never even came close to recapturing the clever storytelling of season 1. The additions to the cast starting in season 2 were all disasters, and from that season onward the writers just seemed to have no solid direction whatsoever for the story. By the end of the series, it established itself as one of the greatest disappointments in television history. Expand
  5. Dec 4, 2010
    Lost is beginning to Lose It. The same mistake made here was made in Heroes season 4 also. Too many plot-lines and not enough time to keep up with them all. Kudos for an intricate weaving of story-lines but in this case the KISS rule needed to be remembered. Keep It Simple Stupid. The story-lines themselves didn't go over our heads. That's not the simplification that was needed but rather the sheer volume of them needed to be decreased so as to keep up with them every episode. The flash-forwards and flash-backs needed to be titled such as '1 year from now'. It wasn't obvious whether the scene was forward or backward making the series a bit of a flop. Jack Shephard played by Matthew Fox finally becomes fallible, however he falls too hard, too fast with seemingly little reason and his discovery that baby Aaron is his nephew hardly has any response attached to it. Kate Austen played by Evangeline Lilly becomes mum to baby Aaron. This is not even slightly believable and in the doing the character becomes unlikeable and overly self-righteous. This season - FAIL. We can only hope the writers get it together for season 5. Expand
  6. Jan 12, 2011
    Not sure why user rating is higher for season 4 then season 3. This is where the show took somewhat of a downturn for me. Some episodes were a little boring. While hard to follow Season 1, 2 and 3 at least tried. With Season 4 I wasn't a big fan of the flash forwards.
  7. Oct 16, 2013
    Although still gripping season four just doesn't have writing that is on par with the other seasons. It focuses too much on the mystery of the island and not as much on surviving and the characters themselves. Despite being good that definitely makes it weaker.
  8. Feb 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Season 4 of Lost is my favourite Season since the first. Its tighter narrative means less filler, and each scene seems to be of the utmost impotence. The story of the Oceanic Six and the people they've left behind is perhaps Lost's best arc ever.

The off-island flash-forwards change the way the story is told. It's surprising to learn that the Oceanic Six's lives off the island aren't as good as they've hoped. Last Season, Ben asked Jack why he wanted to leave the island so badly. After losing Kate, it turned out Ben was right as Jack develops a pill addiction, feeling morally unsteady since he left so many behind.

Life's not going so well with Hurley, Sayid, and Sun either. Believing that he's dead, he's locked away in a mental institution once again. After reuniting with Nadia, Sayid loses her and finds himself working with an unlikely accomplice, Ben Linus. And Sun had her baby, but is still mourning Jin's death.

The non-linear structure brilliantly sets up the Season finale. We knew where the pieces would be when the Season ended. However, learning how we got there was the fun. I think this is fantastic storytelling and not many shows are bold enough to play their hand right from the outset.

I think "The Constant" is an episode that hugely benefited from the shortened Season. Usually, a big new concept in Lost would be revealed at one point and explained later down the line. Instead, this episode introduces time travel, and it explains exactly how it works with little questions asked. Also, how sweet was the moment when Desmond called Penny? Aw...

This Season also introduces some great new characters whose goal is to hunt down Ben Linus. The stand out from the new recruits has to be Jeremy Davies as Daniel Faraday. He's a physicist who's the only one that isn't absolutely clueless about the island's secrets. He's hilariously awkward, but it's clear he has a good heart, as he actually cares about the survivors, unlike most of his comrades.

The only flaw I can think of this Season is the lack of Jack. He's probably the most instantly likeable and important member, and he's oddly not given a whole lot to do. The only Jack episode of the Season was "Something Nice Back Home", where his appendicitis didn't allow him to do much of anything. Juliet's surgery went fine and the episode didn't amount to a whole lot since Jack was up and running by the Season finale.

Like in Season 3, Season 4 is capped off with a masterful, action-packed two hours of television. "There's No Place Like Home Part 2" was so full of great moments that it's hard to pinpoint them all. After The Others, teamed up with Sayid and Kate, stymie Widmore's gang in an awesome action scene, Ben actually moves the island, causing some odd events to transpire, leading into Season 5.

We also learn exactly why everyone was lying to the press about their rescue. And how sad was Jin's death? Kim Yoon-jin rally sold her performance as an emotionally destroyed Sun. The sadness is later contrasted by Desmond and Penny's touching reunion.

And the Jeremy Bentham mystery is resolved in the final seconds of this phenomenal episode. Richard saying John Locke had to die seemed to be unfortunately true. Though, any fan can probably guess that this isn't Locke's last scene.

Season 4 of Lost is the first Season to benefit from a clear vision and a leaner narrative. Unlike previous Seasons, it's hard to feel frustrated at any point during this run. With the final two chapters coming up, let's hope Lost continues at this outstanding pace.
  9. Jan 7, 2013
    Lost is the only show I know where seemingly secondary characters take charge of matters for whole episodes and you feel like the story must be about them. The Constant comes to mind, which is my second favorite episode after Walkabout. Some reason should have been given for the hostility of Naomi's companions towards the inhabitants of the island. Locke believes they are hostile, but the viewers are given no reason to agree. If the writers had used foreshadowing to hint us about the newcomers' intentions, the plot would have felt like it had arisen naturally from what had preceded instead of feeling contrived. It seemed the writers came up with this particular plot line well into the third season. Why would anyone want to look for such a Godforsaken place is beyond me. The writers should have expanded upon Ben's background and told us a little bit about the source of the conflict with Whidmore. That would have spiked my interest considerably. I think the Lost team had no reason to give at this point as they had not come up with it yet. Expand
  10. Oct 9, 2013
    Spectacular television. Full of emotion and curiosity, Lost is mind bending and exciting. The narrative is so well written and full of questions so you certainly have to give it your full attention.
  11. Nov 7, 2013
    The fourth season of Lost lives up to the critically-acclaimed spirit of Season 1, improving its character development, emotional brutality, and suspense thrills into a huge level of appreciation. It contains many of the best episodes and many of the shocking twists/turns in the whole series, and it expands its emotional connection to its protagonists, better than ever. Its flash-forward section is yet another new addition to the season, as the current events reveals the group of survivors, who is now split into two, as they confront a new bigger threat, than just the Others or the black smoke monster, and it also reveals how some of the survivors get off the island and come back into real society, but can't manage to cope with it, after the disastrous events, foreshadowing a couple of hints that shock me, until at the end of the season finale. From the promising events of the season premiere to the shocking moments of the season finale, I was hungry for more by watching the last two seasons of Lost. The fourth season is what you expect: expanded, impressive, and a complete riot. Expand
  12. Oct 19, 2013
    after three good seasons the fourth starts falling income, from here the series starts making secrets and intrigue boring and somewhat meaningless and it made me very angry.
  13. Oct 27, 2013
    I think is the second best season of all the show. Well done the work about how the Oceanic 6 are rescued. Perfectly written. The acting is so intense for Jack, Kate, Hurley, John, Ben, Sawyer, Sun. Well done.One of the best TV shows of all times!!
  14. Dec 3, 2013
    Awesome t.v. series! The best I have ever seen. Great acting from an enormous ensemble, interesting characters with plenty of character development, cool mysteries, and intense action all add up to a great show that beats the hell out of Breaking Bad.
  15. Aug 15, 2014
    great show but i found this one a little worse than they others it was still great just not as good it was a little worse than season 2 overall lost is still great my ratting 8.6/10.

I blissfully enjoyed every minute of Lost’s smashing Season 4 start.
  2. ABC's dense, unblinking and occasionally surreal tale of plane-crash survivors on a strange tropical island moves into its fourth season Thursday with its compass still in good working order.
  3. Reviewed by: Diane Werts
    This stuff is good. No, superb.