Lost : Season 4

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 22, 2004
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
8.6

1. Oct 13, 2017
    With only thirteen episodes, "Lost: Season 4" benefits from a much leaner and faster paced narrative arc, as well as an expandable number of beautiful, dazzling set-pieces that enhance both the show's mythology and its character dynamic.

"I always have a plan."

Final Score: 8/10
  2. Feb 12, 2016
    Season 4 of Lost is really good, the storyline begins trying to explain the past events that happened on the island before Oceanic flight 815 ever crashed.
  3. Sep 21, 2015
    Add more action-sequences, questions and mind-bending plot-details to the third season; and you got this fourth installment.

Lost continues to impress, with even more nuanced and depth to the characters. The complexity of the story is just as the same and it still manages to squeeze out more mind-blowing events. But there’s a big difference between this, and the previous seasons of Lost. This one is far more high-paced, action-packed and much more nuanced when it comes to the story. It might have ‘lost’ its horror-genre to a certain amount, but its mystery is still present as a big and powerful ingredient. We continue to face new sides to our characters, more twists and turns, and dramatic moments that both make our minds and hearts grow fonder (and blown away). There’s still much focus on mysteries, coincidence, religion, fate, etc. It’s one of those aspects that makes Lost so uniquely great! In fact; this season totally is the best so far. Season one and two felt more like background and character introductions. But the third, and especially this fourth got much development, both to the characters and the story. To keep it short; this is definitely the best season so far, there are no moments that I would define as overly-dramatic or boring. It’s even critically perfect, with no flaws. Just smaller details that could have been even greater.

Overall personal rating for each episode: 8.51.
    (+ 0.40 since S03)

Personal rating: 9/10
    Critical rating: 10/10
  4. May 31, 2015
    Best show ever made! Absolutely amazing, best acting, storyline, or plot ever. I don't know one thing wrong with the show because it is the best ever.
  5. Nov 26, 2014
    Tenía mis dudas sobre si esta temporada iba a decaer o algo, pero en absoluto ha sido así.
    Los primeros capítulos son buenos a secas, el quinto es genial y a partir del séptimo se vuelve genial. Es la temporada mas corta pero quizás así se quitaron de encima mas capítulos de relleno. Personalmente me encanta esta serie, realmente te tiene enganchado en cada capítulo.
    Ya solo quedan dos
    Ya solo quedan dos temporadas...
  6. Oct 2, 2014
    Для меня это последний сезон Лоста, во время которого у меня не возникало желания как следует поспать.
  7. Aug 15, 2014
    great show but i found this one a little worse than they others it was still great just not as good it was a little worse than season 2 overall lost is still great my ratting 8.6/10.
  8. Feb 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Season 4 of Lost is my favourite Season since the first. Its tighter narrative means less filler, and each scene seems to be of the utmost impotence. The story of the Oceanic Six and the people they've left behind is perhaps Lost's best arc ever.

The off-island flash-forwards change the way the story is told. It's surprising to learn that the Oceanic Six's lives off the island aren't as good as they've hoped. Last Season, Ben asked Jack why he wanted to leave the island so badly. After losing Kate, it turned out Ben was right as Jack develops a pill addiction, feeling morally unsteady since he left so many behind.

Life's not going so well with Hurley, Sayid, and Sun either. Believing that he's dead, he's locked away in a mental institution once again. After reuniting with Nadia, Sayid loses her and finds himself working with an unlikely accomplice, Ben Linus. And Sun had her baby, but is still mourning Jin's death.

The non-linear structure brilliantly sets up the Season finale. We knew where the pieces would be when the Season ended. However, learning how we got there was the fun. I think this is fantastic storytelling and not many shows are bold enough to play their hand right from the outset.

I think "The Constant" is an episode that hugely benefited from the shortened Season. Usually, a big new concept in Lost would be revealed at one point and explained later down the line. Instead, this episode introduces time travel, and it explains exactly how it works with little questions asked. Also, how sweet was the moment when Desmond called Penny? Aw...

This Season also introduces some great new characters whose goal is to hunt down Ben Linus. The stand out from the new recruits has to be Jeremy Davies as Daniel Faraday. He's a physicist who's the only one that isn't absolutely clueless about the island's secrets. He's hilariously awkward, but it's clear he has a good heart, as he actually cares about the survivors, unlike most of his comrades.

The only flaw I can think of this Season is the lack of Jack. He's probably the most instantly likeable and important member, and he's oddly not given a whole lot to do. The only Jack episode of the Season was "Something Nice Back Home", where his appendicitis didn't allow him to do much of anything. Juliet's surgery went fine and the episode didn't amount to a whole lot since Jack was up and running by the Season finale.

Like in Season 3, Season 4 is capped off with a masterful, action-packed two hours of television. "There's No Place Like Home Part 2" was so full of great moments that it's hard to pinpoint them all. After The Others, teamed up with Sayid and Kate, stymie Widmore's gang in an awesome action scene, Ben actually moves the island, causing some odd events to transpire, leading into Season 5.

We also learn exactly why everyone was lying to the press about their rescue. And how sad was Jin's death? Kim Yoon-jin rally sold her performance as an emotionally destroyed Sun. The sadness is later contrasted by Desmond and Penny's touching reunion.

And the Jeremy Bentham mystery is resolved in the final seconds of this phenomenal episode. Richard saying John Locke had to die seemed to be unfortunately true. Though, any fan can probably guess that this isn't Locke's last scene.

Season 4 of Lost is the first Season to benefit from a clear vision and a leaner narrative. Unlike previous Seasons, it's hard to feel frustrated at any point during this run. With the final two chapters coming up, let's hope Lost continues at this outstanding pace.
  9. Dec 3, 2013
    Awesome t.v. series! The best I have ever seen. Great acting from an enormous ensemble, interesting characters with plenty of character development, cool mysteries, and intense action all add up to a great show that beats the hell out of Breaking Bad.
  10. Nov 7, 2013
    The fourth season of Lost lives up to the critically-acclaimed spirit of Season 1, improving its character development, emotional brutality, and suspense thrills into a huge level of appreciation. It contains many of the best episodes and many of the shocking twists/turns in the whole series, and it expands its emotional connection to its protagonists, better than ever. Its flash-forwardThe fourth season of Lost lives up to the critically-acclaimed spirit of Season 1, improving its character development, emotional brutality, and suspense thrills into a huge level of appreciation. It contains many of the best episodes and many of the shocking twists/turns in the whole series, and it expands its emotional connection to its protagonists, better than ever. Its flash-forward section is yet another new addition to the season, as the current events reveals the group of survivors, who is now split into two, as they confront a new bigger threat, than just the Others or the black smoke monster, and it also reveals how some of the survivors get off the island and come back into real society, but can't manage to cope with it, after the disastrous events, foreshadowing a couple of hints that shock me, until at the end of the season finale. From the promising events of the season premiere to the shocking moments of the season finale, I was hungry for more by watching the last two seasons of Lost. The fourth season is what you expect: expanded, impressive, and a complete riot. Expand
  11. Oct 27, 2013
    I think is the second best season of all the show. Well done the work about how the Oceanic 6 are rescued. Perfectly written. The acting is so intense for Jack, Kate, Hurley, John, Ben, Sawyer, Sun. Well done.One of the best TV shows of all times!!
  12. Oct 19, 2013
    after three good seasons the fourth starts falling income, from here the series starts making secrets and intrigue boring and somewhat meaningless and it made me very angry.
  13. Oct 16, 2013
    Although still gripping season four just doesn't have writing that is on par with the other seasons. It focuses too much on the mystery of the island and not as much on surviving and the characters themselves. Despite being good that definitely makes it weaker.
  14. Oct 9, 2013
    Spectacular television. Full of emotion and curiosity, Lost is mind bending and exciting. The narrative is so well written and full of questions so you certainly have to give it your full attention.
  15. May 25, 2013
    Following the cracking season three finale expectations were high for this slightly shortened season four, fortunately it mostly delivered.

Throughout the season new characters were introduced as Lost's universe is expanded outside of life on the island and the 'flash-forward' technique gradually revealed the ultimate fates of some of the original survivors. With the end goal now firmly insight Lost yet again made for compulsive viewing and watching the show on DVD certainly makes it easier to comprehend the complex plot. Now if only we could find out the answers to some of those long lingering questions!
  16. Jan 7, 2013
    Lost is the only show I know where seemingly secondary characters take charge of matters for whole episodes and you feel like the story must be about them. The Constant comes to mind, which is my second favorite episode after Walkabout. Some reason should have been given for the hostility of Naomi's companions towards the inhabitants of the island. Locke believes they are hostile, but theLost is the only show I know where seemingly secondary characters take charge of matters for whole episodes and you feel like the story must be about them. The Constant comes to mind, which is my second favorite episode after Walkabout. Some reason should have been given for the hostility of Naomi's companions towards the inhabitants of the island. Locke believes they are hostile, but the viewers are given no reason to agree. If the writers had used foreshadowing to hint us about the newcomers' intentions, the plot would have felt like it had arisen naturally from what had preceded instead of feeling contrived. It seemed the writers came up with this particular plot line well into the third season. Why would anyone want to look for such a Godforsaken place is beyond me. The writers should have expanded upon Ben's background and told us a little bit about the source of the conflict with Whidmore. That would have spiked my interest considerably. I think the Lost team had no reason to give at this point as they had not come up with it yet. Expand
  17. Jun 7, 2012
    Season 4 is an anomaly. It turns you every which way without offering a true north and yet it's great. Yes there are more questions, but at least they're worth getting in to. The pulse of this show remains strong and the story engaging. It's as good as any previous season of Lost and is wonderful to watch with Netflix as you can just pound out each episode without commercials. The newSeason 4 is an anomaly. It turns you every which way without offering a true north and yet it's great. Yes there are more questions, but at least they're worth getting in to. The pulse of this show remains strong and the story engaging. It's as good as any previous season of Lost and is wonderful to watch with Netflix as you can just pound out each episode without commercials. The new characters aren't immediately valuable from a viewers standpoint, but given a little time you'll take to them like they were part of the original crash survivors. There's no reason to stop watching Lost in its fourth season. Expand
  18. Jan 12, 2011
    Not sure why user rating is higher for season 4 then season 3. This is where the show took somewhat of a downturn for me. Some episodes were a little boring. While hard to follow Season 1, 2 and 3 at least tried. With Season 4 I wasn't a big fan of the flash forwards.
  19. Dec 4, 2010
    Lost is beginning to Lose It. The same mistake made here was made in Heroes season 4 also. Too many plot-lines and not enough time to keep up with them all. Kudos for an intricate weaving of story-lines but in this case the KISS rule needed to be remembered. Keep It Simple Stupid. The story-lines themselves didn't go over our heads. That's not the simplification that was needed but ratherLost is beginning to Lose It. The same mistake made here was made in Heroes season 4 also. Too many plot-lines and not enough time to keep up with them all. Kudos for an intricate weaving of story-lines but in this case the KISS rule needed to be remembered. Keep It Simple Stupid. The story-lines themselves didn't go over our heads. That's not the simplification that was needed but rather the sheer volume of them needed to be decreased so as to keep up with them every episode. The flash-forwards and flash-backs needed to be titled such as '1 year from now'. It wasn't obvious whether the scene was forward or backward making the series a bit of a flop. Jack Shephard played by Matthew Fox finally becomes fallible, however he falls too hard, too fast with seemingly little reason and his discovery that baby Aaron is his nephew hardly has any response attached to it. Kate Austen played by Evangeline Lilly becomes mum to baby Aaron. This is not even slightly believable and in the doing the character becomes unlikeable and overly self-righteous. This season - FAIL. We can only hope the writers get it together for season 5. Expand
  20. Nov 19, 2010
    Absolutely fantastic first season. The premise was unique and fascinating, and the ensemble cast was wonderful. I honestly couldn't believe how good this show was. I was hooked, but then their best writer left after season 1, and they proceeded to make those OTHER seasons. The fact is that the remaining writers never even came close to recapturing the clever storytelling of season 1. TheAbsolutely fantastic first season. The premise was unique and fascinating, and the ensemble cast was wonderful. I honestly couldn't believe how good this show was. I was hooked, but then their best writer left after season 1, and they proceeded to make those OTHER seasons. The fact is that the remaining writers never even came close to recapturing the clever storytelling of season 1. The additions to the cast starting in season 2 were all disasters, and from that season onward the writers just seemed to have no solid direction whatsoever for the story. By the end of the series, it established itself as one of the greatest disappointments in television history. Expand
  21. roberti
    Dec 20, 2009
    This anti-"Survivor" reminds us how low reality tv has sunk. Second only to the Sopranos and I Love Lucy in my list of all-time tv faves, Lost manages to take you to the brink every time...full-production television at its very, very best.
  22. ZacW
    Oct 6, 2009
    This is the greatest show that has ever been on television. The way Lost makes me feel when i watch it, whether I am angry at the characters, sad, filled with joy or mystery... Very few forms of media have ever been able to make me feel this way. The theme is extremely varied from the innocent mystery of season one but this is good. Lost would not have made it this far if it kept to the This is the greatest show that has ever been on television. The way Lost makes me feel when i watch it, whether I am angry at the characters, sad, filled with joy or mystery... Very few forms of media have ever been able to make me feel this way. The theme is extremely varied from the innocent mystery of season one but this is good. Lost would not have made it this far if it kept to the mood and basic plot of the first season. Each season is innovative and fresh, and this makes Lost a standout television show above all others. Expand
  23. MarylynL
    Sep 21, 2009
    I just started watching Lost a bit more than a week ago. I am currently on the 4th Season, so far I feel it has been the weakest, but seems to be getting better. Lost is the most brilliant written tv series I have ever seen. I can't believe I haven't been watching it!!!
  24. AdamP
    Sep 18, 2009
    Lost is lost. Still entertaining, but without the tension of the first couple seasons before they left the island. Ever since, the story is full of time travel gimmicks and seems desperate to try to recreate that (lost) mystery.
  25. MatthewS.
    Mar 19, 2009
    Great Show and Season.... and people who don' like it probably do not understand, or most likely lack the mental ability to comprehend it.
  26. RoryO.
    Jul 1, 2008
    Could have been so much more than what it was. What once took 1 episode to take place now can take 4 or 5 episodes as they drag the show on and on and on.
  27. DavidB.
    Jun 27, 2008
    Best Season since the brilliant first, so fast paced and plus we get loads of answers. Cast were at there best in this season. Bring on Jan 09.
  28. LiamH.
    Jun 3, 2008
    I really cant wait until the new year for season 5! Season 4 was amazing though!
  29. thedude
    May 30, 2008
    I really think this might be my all-time favorite television show. I'm in my early thirties, and whenever I start to get sad of what sad fate befell the Star Wars, and now Indiana Jones franchises that were so stellar in my youth, I just remind myself that I'm getting to see that same kind of magic that those had back then right now on tv, in that I'm treated to something I really think this might be my all-time favorite television show. I'm in my early thirties, and whenever I start to get sad of what sad fate befell the Star Wars, and now Indiana Jones franchises that were so stellar in my youth, I just remind myself that I'm getting to see that same kind of magic that those had back then right now on tv, in that I'm treated to something special that will stick with me and I can look back on fondly for the rest of my life. It's true, I don't know if they'll come up with a satisfying answer for all the questions, and the show has definitely had its ups and downs, but just when I start to lose faith in it, it pulls me back in. I feel the first and fourth seasons have been the most consistent. The second was disappointing till Ben picked it up, and the third was really bad until they ramped it up for the last five or six episodes, but now the fourth season really only had one or two episodes I didn't thoroughly enjoy. I'm glad they set the 6 season limit, as they really seem to be moving the story along at a nice pace now, but I will be so sad when that day comes that it finally ends. Got to savor it while it lasts. Will they ever come up with a satisfying explanation for the numbers? I will be shocked if they do, but even if the pay-off isn't all there, the ride has been well worth it. Expand
  30. HarryB.
    May 30, 2008
    Having now viewed the entirety of season four, I can now say with authority that Lost is as stimulating and thought-provoking as it was in the first season. That final moment...I'm not sure how they'll top that, or explain what happened, but I can't wait to find out - and that is the measure of ANY show.

I blissfully enjoyed every minute of Lost’s smashing Season 4 start.
  2. ABC's dense, unblinking and occasionally surreal tale of plane-crash survivors on a strange tropical island moves into its fourth season Thursday with its compass still in good working order.
  3. Reviewed by: Diane Werts
    This stuff is good. No, superb.