Love Monkey : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Apr 11, 2006
7.9

1. Woo
    Jan 18, 2006
    Yes, there's potential, but looks to be designed overall for boy-crazy girls of all ages. I'll watch one more time and if there's nothing transcendent, that's all for Ed, I mean LM.
  2. JohnJ
    Jan 18, 2006
    The concept is here but the follow through was not. The scenes were hoaky and lame and the dialogue boring.
  3. TomM
    Jan 20, 2006
    Although the show tries hard to be a realistic treatise on the banality of modern popular music, it fails in the most important element. The highly sought after "Wayne" embodies all that is wrong with modern popular music, namely a clone of John Mayer with sappy pretentious lyrics. They need to use the brilliant Eric Bogosian much more.
  4. BertieV
    Jan 25, 2006
    Heaven help us if this alternate reality ever collides with the alternate reality of Gilmore Girls. What this show fails to appreciate is that the Waynes of today are the Hansons (and Starships) of tomorrow. Catchy pop hooks are not a sin. Derivative garbage is. It's the difference between a guilty pleasure and just plain guilt. I wish I could think this show would become a guilty Heaven help us if this alternate reality ever collides with the alternate reality of Gilmore Girls. What this show fails to appreciate is that the Waynes of today are the Hansons (and Starships) of tomorrow. Catchy pop hooks are not a sin. Derivative garbage is. It's the difference between a guilty pleasure and just plain guilt. I wish I could think this show would become a guilty pleasure for me, but I just love music too damn much. Expand
  5. MattR
    Jan 29, 2006
    It was OK, but I was hoping for High Fidelity, but I guess I was hoping too much. I never had a problem with Hanson. They were real musicians, which, apparently no one told the writers of this show.
  6. EricR
    Jan 19, 2006
    While the show has potential, the writing was sloppy. Anyone who knows as much about music as Tom is supposed to would know: 1. Not to put records on those crappy metal shelves in his apartment 2. That Hanson did not lip-synch, nor were they a 'boy band' in the sense that he was arguing: Hanson wrote, produced, and played their own songs. Comparing them to Ashlee Simpson was While the show has potential, the writing was sloppy. Anyone who knows as much about music as Tom is supposed to would know: 1. Not to put records on those crappy metal shelves in his apartment 2. That Hanson did not lip-synch, nor were they a 'boy band' in the sense that he was arguing: Hanson wrote, produced, and played their own songs. Comparing them to Ashlee Simpson was ignorant. 3. The Bob Dylan compilation that kept getting passed around does not have anywhere near "every song he's ever written." If the show is being marketed to music fans, get the facts right. It's trying to be a cross between "High Fidelity" and "Jerry Maguire" and it needs work. Expand

1. The premise of an attractive group of friends living and loving in the Big Apple is not exactly a novel idea, but there's always room for a series that resonates with a distinctive new take, a unique perspective or memorable characters. Unfortunately, this isn't it.
    I was initially concerned that this was going to become a male Grey’s Anatomy... but Love Monkey creator Michael Rauch... keeps facile wisdom to a bare minimum, and a certain urban energy level turned up.
    To say that Love Monkey is derivative and predictable is not quite the same as saying it's bad.