• Network: AMC
  • Series Premiere Date: Aug 11, 2013
  • Season #: 1
7.0

1. Sep 15, 2013
    It's just boring and uninteresting, I couldn't even last an episode. Just another Cop drama that has piss poor acting and bad writing. It seems like AMC isn't having much luck with creating any new dramas as of late.
  2. Oct 7, 2013
    People who watch ‘Low Winter Sun’ fall into one of two categories: those who enjoy the show because they like Mark Strong, and those who like Mark Strong but don’t enjoy the show. It starts well. The first episode opens in a dark room lit with candles (I have no idea why), an exotic leitmotif (which works despite its incongruity) and a close up of a weeping Frank Agnew staring at the camera. It’s a powerful scene that provokes instant sympathy for the protagonist, and justifies what he’s about to do. Unfortunately, in the episodes that follow, LWS conscientiously unravels both the sympathy and the heady atmosphere it set up in the first two minutes.

This show is giving viewers what it THINKS they want (a white middle-class antihero with no hair and some personal problems, a glimpse at a criminal underworld, stuff about drugs) without truly understanding what it was that made shows like Breaking Bad so appealing. LWS is too dark, too joyless, and MUCH too sordid. There is an excess of drugs, alcohol, prostitutes and (bizarrely) toilets. People talk about toilets, they use toilets, they shove people’s heads INTO toilets AFTER they have used them and the prostitutes FILM themselves using toilets. The whole fictional Detroit scene LWS sets up is so dark, so dirty, that it left me wondering why any of these people would stay in those jobs in that city. We were promised a theme of redemption, but I haven’t been able to find it.

The story is both overwrought and underdeveloped, with an awkward surplus of Serious Acting to compensate for the deficiencies of the plot. I wasn’t interested at all in the B-story with Damon and Maya, David Costabile is wasted here, and while I could happily watch Athena Karkanis reading from the phonebook, even she can’t lend the story some much needed beauty and moral relief from the relentless thematic and visual darkness of the show. I’d love to see Mark Strong in a sympathetic leading role. This isn’t it.
  3. Sep 12, 2013
    I watched 2 episodes of it and then I was done. It's just so boring and uninteresting, Far too slow as well. Almost makes the show unwatchable in my opinion.
  4. Sep 1, 2013
    I've watched every episode so far, feels like I have watched 5 or 6 already, when it has really only been three. Maybe seeing a glimmer of hope I will finally find something interesting about these characters or situations, but I am not optimistic.
  5. Aug 26, 2013
    Who would care to watch a show that fails so poorly in the development of the characters? If feels like the show started in the middle of the season.
    The storyline has action and drama but who cares since we have not been allowed to know who these people are. Do they really expect to work backward with the character development?
    Everything that makes shows like Homeland, Breaking Bad,
    and Dexter great is missing from Low Winter Sun. The name of the show is cool but the show itself falls flat it's a waste of my time. Expand
  6. Sep 14, 2013
    As cold and turgid as a bowl of unheated turnip soup. The characters lack depth and the narrative is unrelentingly dour. Whether these cop murderers are found out is of little interest to this viewer.

1. Reviewed by: Oliver Jones
    Aug 16, 2013
    The gutted-out city is perhaps the show's most compelling character. [26 Aug 2013, p.38]
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Aug 12, 2013
    Not since HBO’s The Wire left the air five years ago has a television series combined urban decay and moral decrepitude in such stark--and yet compulsively watchable--terms.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Aug 12, 2013
    While scenes with a crime crew drag, in part because it's not always clear what's going on with them, anytime the focus shifts to crooked cops Frank Agnew (Mark Strong) and Joe Geddes (Lennie James), Low Winter Sun proves to be a gripping drama with a vibe most reminiscent of "The Wire."