• Network: AMC
  • Series Premiere Date: Jul 19, 2007
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 7.5
8.4

1. Apr 27, 2015
    This series has been one of the best I've ever seen, up through the end of season 5. But in season 6 it went off the rails, or became afraid of its own trajectory and retreated. Don Draper was set up to vault into totally unknown territory at the end of season 5, but season 6 did not follow through, and suddenly the whole theme of the show the whole thing about Don's identity has becomeThis series has been one of the best I've ever seen, up through the end of season 5. But in season 6 it went off the rails, or became afraid of its own trajectory and retreated. Don Draper was set up to vault into totally unknown territory at the end of season 5, but season 6 did not follow through, and suddenly the whole theme of the show the whole thing about Don's identity has become irrelevant. It is so strange. I'm not sure why the writers retreated, but instead of launching into where the story has brought them, the writers have backtracked and backpedalled and most of the show in season 6 and season 7 is nothing more than repeating things that have happened before in the series. This has been a real let down and is kind of shocking. Just pretend the series ends at the end of season 5, and it will seem like a really excellent series, and you can imagine what happened following season 5 rather than watch the sad truth. Expand
  2. Apr 22, 2013
    Sorry to be Debbie Downer but after all these seasons, I'm finding Mad Men's formula is getting a bit stale. (Warning, this got longer than I expected.) Let's see:

Don is the same old angsty, misogynist womanizer, cheating and demanding to get his way, as always, even though it's apparent he's starting to become a relic of the 1950's in a rapidly changing late 1960's world. Roger, who used to be one of my favorite characters, has become a caricature rather than a meaningful player (the epitome of this shift was season 5's LSD episodes). Pete's the same jerk he's been since day one, just with more power, while Harry and Ken are still bit pieces who have never been compelling to watch. Despite the events of season 5, Joan is still the same old Joan, confident but angry because of the glass ceiling, yet happy to employ the double standard of exploiting her sexuality while complaining about being treated like a sex pot.

I find myself NOT missing Betty, Henry, and Sally at all and the characters of Megan and Trudy are exceedingly stereotypical and grate my nerves to the point where I'd rather mute the TV when they're on.

Peggy is the only character this season who has undergone MEANINGFUL change this season and it's sad to see she's getting minimal screen time. More screen time than Betty, at least. Barely.

I miss the Mad Men of the first three seasons. Characters like Paul Kinsey and the dynamic story of his beliefs on civil rights and interracial relationships or characters like Salvatore Romano and dealing with homosexuality in the early 1960's. Those were compelling stories that ran along side the main story lines and they were GREAT secondary characters. Even recently, the story of Lane Pryce and his relocation from England, coming to terms with being an immigrant, and his tragic end was a solid secondary story line, yet his contributions to SCDP have been all but forgotten except in scant one liners.

The show used to feel fluid and organic. We knew who the main characters were but the secondary characters were interesting as well. They could craft a story about even the most mundane aspect of advertising and make it watchable. Now it just feels completely predictable. We know how the main characters are going to act and react, there are almost no plot "twists" that could shock the viewers anymore, and there are almost no compelling secondary characters or storylines.
  3. May 24, 2013
    I am probably ruining the popularity flow here but I am not feeling Mad Men as much as had in the past 5 seasons. I have been a devoted fan up until the start of season 6. I am getting a little tired, as someone else wrote here, "of the Mad Men formula". I think the demise of my interests also stems from the ability to feel like the story line is going somewhere. I think this is the end ofI am probably ruining the popularity flow here but I am not feeling Mad Men as much as had in the past 5 seasons. I have been a devoted fan up until the start of season 6. I am getting a little tired, as someone else wrote here, "of the Mad Men formula". I think the demise of my interests also stems from the ability to feel like the story line is going somewhere. I think this is the end of Mad Men for me and I must say with great sadness, "It has been a really great ride". Expand
  4. Jul 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After years of watching this show, I feel like all they're able to do is repeat the formula of the first few seasons. Don travels from being a depressed, unfaithful husband with Betty to being a depressed, unfaithful husband with Megan.

It is a relief to see his coworkers grow as tired of his routine as I have, but I find little to keep my interest in this show. And after seeing Top of the Lake in which Elisabeth Moss takes a lead role, I start hating the producers of Mad Men for not putting her talent to more use.

There are a few good lines and a few good moments here and there, but I can't help but wonder if the writers acknowledge any irony by having Megan play two roles in a soap opera on the show while the show has largely become exactly that.

1. Reviewed by: Jace Lacob
    May 30, 2013
    A beautifully realized and dazzling re-creation of our collective past and a glimpse of the infinite and unknowable.
  2. Season 6 jumps ahead in time and launches with a beautifully written, contemplative two-hour opener called "The Doorway."
  3. Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    Apr 5, 2013
    Terrific start to the 6th.