• Network: AMC
  • Series Premiere Date: Jul 19, 2007
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8
8.6

1. Aug 5, 2014
    Mad Men successfully established the prototype for the new cable serial drama. It has the look and feel of something splendid. It is set in the 60's, yet never truly demonstrated just how profound that decade was. The period and setting is reduced to simple decor without a soul. Like advertising. Like the man who calls himself Don Draper. The 60's may well be the most significant decade in America, one that spawned promises we are still coming to terms with and catching up to, but in Mad Men it is merely peripheral embellishment, window dressing. Despite it's minimalist execution and vapid content, Mad Men has the lure and semblance of profound significance. In it's entire bouquet of 86 episodes, little actually happened. It could all have been effectively distilled into a 90 minute movie. Yet it was all so very seductive and entrancing. It ensnared us with its false nostalgia, those simple, innocuous times. It teased us with a sly grin more enigmatic than the Mona Lisa. Above all, it manufactured a tender impression of comfort and familiarity. Like a narcissistic mirrored experience. Provoking in us to ask "Who are we?". At it's core Mad Men is a zombie flick. Empty characters in a soulless world, carrying on despite the absence of meaning and identity. We aren't Don Draper. Jon Hamm isn't Don Draper. Not even Don Draper is Don Draper. I'm still waiting to see the final 7 episodes but I predict (**** Warning! Imaginary Spoiler Ahead! Stop Now or Proceed With Caution! ****) it will end like it began. Don Draper kills Don Draper. Either literally or in a dream he can't wake up from. Expand
  2. May 26, 2014
    The first half of Mad Men season 7 lived up to my high expectations that I set when I heard the final season would be split into two parts. The first two episodes were very good: easily living up to Mad Men standards. Field Trip was the first episode I loved. It was followed by The Monolith, one of my favorite Mad Men episodes to date, an episode packed with symbolism and passionate outbursts. The next episode, The Runaways, is almost certainly the weirdest, most surprising Mad Men episode I've ever seen, but it was still incredible. The last two episodes were consistently excellent, with moments that stand alongside my favorite moments in the whole show. The mid-season finale made me want more, but not in the cheap way of most shows: I am intrigued without feeling like my emotions were manipulated. I am eagerly awaiting the series finale, and I can't wait to see what all the writers will create next! Expand
  3. Apr 29, 2014
    A lackluster, been-there-done-that season so far. Season 6 ended poised on the edge of a huge change for Don Draper. This season has been spent backpedaling. Instead of going forward with his new honest attitude, facing his past and identity in an unvarnished way, and facing the consequences of that, which would have provided viewers and writers with plenty of dramatic conflict, Don is simply trying to patch over the honesty and get back to his old tricks. As a result the show is just one big retread of things that were already a retread as it was. Even the shock-of-your-life Sally got last season has been swept under the run almost as if it never happened. SO hugely disappointing. It appears Mad Men will go out with a whimper. Expand
  4. Apr 27, 2014
    Two seasons ago Mad Men descended into cliche with fights, deaths, each episode seemed to have a cliffhanger but now thankfully we're back to the slow burn weirdness where so little happens it is actually more compelling. Also thankfully its not on the media radar so much, there was a point when it was getting so trendy it got overblown. It seems to be descending into a sort of murky world suited for fans as opposed to being picked over every day the way breaking bad was. So that's all good. The one thing for me is that I still don't uderstand why don draper is seen as some tragic figure hurtling into an abyss. To me he seems to have had a pretty awesome time! Women, money, cars, family who stick with him, what's the problem? Expand
  5. Apr 14, 2014
    A very strong season opener to what I'm sure will be an outstanding final season to one of the greatest TV shows ever made.

Mad Men is one of those rare shows that is able to nail almost everything perfectly. The acting performances are outstanding , the cinematography and the gorgeous production values are stunning, and the rich,intricate writing is as razor-sharp as always. Whatever
    way you put it, Mad Men is a landmark Television show and one of the prime examples of the so called "TV Golden Age". Its definitely a show in the league of all-time greats like "The Wire", "The Sopranos" and "Mad Men". As always its a joy to watch.

Its going to be sad to see it go, but all great things have to come to an inevitable end eventually. Cant wait to see the rest of the season. I'm already hooked.
  6. Apr 14, 2014
    the ending was the best part of the whole episode. otherwise it doesn't really look too interesting. same old, same old so far. Hopefully the rest of the season improves.
  7. Apr 14, 2014
    Mad Men is finally back, and the beginning of the end is off to a great start. The pilot may have been trying to pack a little too much story into it's allotted time, but even with a slightly overstuffed hour, this seems like one of the series better season openers. If the final scene is any indication, we are in for a sullen end.
  8. Apr 14, 2014
    Don't listen to the naysayers who think the only valid criticism is to carp and complain.

Mad Men continues to be one of the most brilliantly written, acted, and directed programs on TV. Anyone who claims that the first episode was predictable and the performances phoned in just does not have the inherent capacity to appreciate what they're watching. Matt Weiner still has the ability
    to both fullfill and upend viewers' expectations at the same time. It's what makes Mad Men so compelling. Expand
  9. Apr 14, 2014
    Mad Men really feels like a show that's run a season too long. It started feeling that way towards the in season 6 and, sadly, season 7 follows suit as it limps out of the gate. Whatever connections I felt with these characters from seasons 1-4 have slowly been whittled away by seasons 5 and 6. Now in Season 7, I can't bring myself to really care about them anymore. Don is the same old Don. Peggy is the same old Peggy. Sterling is the same old Sterling, now with 100% more LSD instead of booze. Pete has changed for the (somewhat) better but at the cost of everyone else at SC&P, who have all become jerks.

Like LamontRaymond said in his review of the pilot, it just feels like we've been here before... Over and over and over again. The suspense and drama of the character interactions ran their course a long time ago. Meanwhile, the promo videos show Pete talking to someone on the phone about breaking away and starting yet another agency? We've seen that plot line once already...
  10. Apr 13, 2014
    It's only been one episode, but this season feels mailed-in. Workaday. Been there,done that. I'm intrigued by the Freddy storyline, and the Neve Campbell scene was cool, but the rest felt oh so .... standard.

1. Reviewed by: Kristi Turnquist
    Jun 24, 2014
    With its signature mixture of tiny details providing texture and easy storytelling flow, Mad Men lures us back into its final season with all the confidence in the world.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Apr 15, 2014
    There’s a confidence in the writing in this episode that’s been missing the last few years, in which it sometimes felt like we were spinning our wheels.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Apr 14, 2014
    You will find things still generally a mess come Sunday, but now there is at least the possibility of light.