• Network: AMC
  • Series Premiere Date: Jul 19, 2007
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 7.5
8.5

1. Apr 10, 2015
    The first season of Mad Men I've actually seen twice. The first season is just such a great introduction. The shows pilot episode is one of my personal favorites. Jon Hamm captivates us for the beginning as Don Draper. Draper is one of the most interesting characters that have ever been on television. Despite Draper's obvious flaws I am incredibly drawn to him and then you see his completeThe first season of Mad Men I've actually seen twice. The first season is just such a great introduction. The shows pilot episode is one of my personal favorites. Jon Hamm captivates us for the beginning as Don Draper. Draper is one of the most interesting characters that have ever been on television. Despite Draper's obvious flaws I am incredibly drawn to him and then you see his complete opposite in the antagonist Pete Campbell who you hate as much as you love Draper. The show really captures the point in time that it is sent in which is 1960. The Kennedy vs Nixon election is one of the most pivotal moments of the season. The show starts off wonderfully but also the last three episodes of the season are amazing. Expand
  2. Feb 5, 2015
    polka dot corpse

polka dot corpse

Mad Men successfully established the prototype for the new cable serial drama. It has the look and feel of something splendid. It is set in the 60's, yet never truly demonstrated just how profound that decade was. The period and setting is reduced to simple decor without a soul. Like advertising. Like the man who calls himself Don Draper. The 60's may well be the most significant decade in America, one that spawned promises we are still coming to terms with and catching up to, but in Mad Men it is merely peripheral embellishment, window dressing. Despite it's minimalist execution and vapid content, Mad Men has the lure and semblance of profound significance. In it's entire bouquet of 86 episodes, little actually happened. It could all have been effectively distilled into a 90 minute movie. Yet it was all so very seductive and entrancing. It ensnared us with a false nostalgia, those simple, innocuous times. It teased us with a sly grin more enigmatic than the Mona Lisa. Above all, it manufactured a tender impression of comfort and familiarity. Like a narcissistic mirrored experience, punctuated by misguided sexual impulses. Provoking in us to question the flimsiness of our own psyche. At it's core Mad Men is a zombie flick. Empty characters in a soulless world, carrying on despite the absence of meaning and identity. We aren't Don Draper. Jon Hamm isn't Don Draper. Not even Don Draper is Don Draper. I'm still waiting to see the final 7 episodes but I predict (**** Warning! Imaginary Spoiler Ahead! Stop Now or Proceed With Caution! ****) it may end like it began: Don Draper kills Don Draper, possibly sparing his wife. More likely though: nothing much.
  3. Jan 25, 2015
    When the first season of Mad Men was shown on TV, I thought it was absolutely brilliant. I loved everything about it: the accuracy of the details, the wonderful costumes, the slow pace - finally a show that does not flow at manic speed and where there is more than car chase and explosions.

I found it delightful that the focus of the show was an advertisement agency and not hospitals and police stations, as it happens all too often. All this and one of the most mysterious, magnetic characters to grace the screen (Don Draper) and you have one of the best TV shows of the decade.
  4. Nov 15, 2014
    Requires a little patience, a few episodes from the second episode, but when you go watching, you goes enjoying it, trying to understand the ideas, the concepts of the time.
  5. Oct 13, 2014
    I know a lot of people love this show and I respect that, but I honestly find it very boring. The plot is uninteresting to me and there is almost no action. To me mad men just seems like a well-written soap opera. If you think cinematography and writing matter more than simple enjoyment, this is definitely worth watching for you. If you just want a good show that doesn't make you askI know a lot of people love this show and I respect that, but I honestly find it very boring. The plot is uninteresting to me and there is almost no action. To me mad men just seems like a well-written soap opera. If you think cinematography and writing matter more than simple enjoyment, this is definitely worth watching for you. If you just want a good show that doesn't make you ask yourself ''when is this going to be over?'' and a show that's not so slow and more exciting, than I'd highly recommend you skip it. Expand
  6. May 26, 2014
    Mad Men is a great show; it really is an intriguing world that the writers have created and the acting is sublime. Although the decision to make a mid-season finale is dreadful as it was with Breaking Bad, I can't wait until I can finish this epic and I am curious to see if it all comes to a fantastic crescendo.
  7. May 15, 2014
    Mad men made this show alright. I don't know what kind of audience they are trying to target with Mad Men but I'm 20 and this show doesn't appeal to me at all, I guess they are going with the older crowd. This show has very poor dialog, very uninteresting plots nobody cares about, I like the idea of a show being set in the 1960s but couldn't they have picked anything more boring than anMad men made this show alright. I don't know what kind of audience they are trying to target with Mad Men but I'm 20 and this show doesn't appeal to me at all, I guess they are going with the older crowd. This show has very poor dialog, very uninteresting plots nobody cares about, I like the idea of a show being set in the 1960s but couldn't they have picked anything more boring than an advertising agency?

I don't care about this show at all, it's completely boring and bad.
  8. Mar 7, 2014
    I think that Mad Men is a great piece of TV/AMC history. I seriously think that Donald Draper is one of the best TV characters ( With Tony Soprano, Walter White, Frank Agnew, Harvey Spector AND Micheal Westin) But Madmen is a great piece of TV Histore it is for 14+ But I advise you.................... To watch this show
  9. Jan 18, 2014
    The feminist in me had trouble getting into the show during the first episode. After hearing friends recommend it highly, I stuck with it and it's now one of my favorite shows. It's brilliantly done, expertly crafted characters with a story line that grabs a hold of you and doesn't let go. I love Betty (January Jones), she is compelling in a magnetic way. And Elisabeth Moss (Peggy) is theThe feminist in me had trouble getting into the show during the first episode. After hearing friends recommend it highly, I stuck with it and it's now one of my favorite shows. It's brilliantly done, expertly crafted characters with a story line that grabs a hold of you and doesn't let go. I love Betty (January Jones), she is compelling in a magnetic way. And Elisabeth Moss (Peggy) is the redeeming voice for women. For me, the show would've gotten a 10 if they had toned down the gratuitous nakedness. Overall, the psychology of the characters is fascinating, and the plot line addictive. Expand
  10. Jan 4, 2014
    An intelligent, cool, refreshing and very enjoyable TV show. The representations of its time, place and people couldn't be more accurate nor interesting. Great, the beginning of a great series.
  11. Sep 20, 2013
    So amazing. The character development is phenomenal. Although I wasn't born quite a bit AFTER the 50's, 60's and 70's, I love taking a look into that world, in those times, with these characters. My advice: Just. Watch. It.
  12. Aug 19, 2013
    I wasn't sure about the score. Truth is, this show's somewhere in between seven and eight. I watched the whole thing, and it really has you connecting with some damn real characters and background. But there wasn't enough things going on for me. The events in season one were mostly, too expected.

I might give season two a shot, not sure yet.
  13. Aug 16, 2013
    Addictive and engaging yet subtle. Beautifully shot and acted with multi layered characters. The plot is always detailed and never obvious. Mad Men is unique and clever but always entertains.
  14. Aug 10, 2013
    Mad Men is a severely overrated drama containing hardly any drama, which is sort of critical to a drama. And with all of the sex, deceit, lies, secrets, infidelity, and shady motives, the lack of drama and intrigue is no less than shocking.
    The performances are monotonous with precisely two exceptions, the characters are monotonous with precisely two exceptions, the writing is monotonous providing only a superficial spectrum of the time period it's set in giving little to no historical insight, the long running story has almost no continuity as the actions and behaviors and the people these characters interact with hardly ever carry on or tie in later in the show, and there's never any kind of a perspective or a point given. Mad Men just kind of floats along with no objective, no motive, and no story, which is fine in some cases, like Pulp Fiction, but it at least Pulp Fiction is actually entertaining, and its characters have strong and likable personalities. Mad Men has no redemptive qualities other than its aesthetics. Yes, it looks and feels exactly like the 60s, but you can get about as much out of Mad Men as you can from google searching advertising campaigns from the 60s.
  15. Jul 12, 2013
    Most of the bad reviews on this website for this show don't understand one of two things:

1. This is an extremely accurate portrayal of the 60s. Everyone dressed like this, and many women acted like this. 2. As one reviewer said: Mad Men is a hamfisted portrayal of a some of the more obvious biases and blindnesses of the early 60s. As if every day dawned in 1960 in order to provide

2. As one reviewer said: Mad Men is a hamfisted portrayal of a some of the more obvious biases and blindnesses of the early 60s. As if every day dawned in 1960 in order to provide white men with opportunities to manifest their sexual and racial biases"

Not all white men were provide with "opportunities to manifest their sexual and racial biases," but the ad men on Madison Avenue were. They were notorious, but most men were relatively similar to today with maybe some sexism and racism mixed in.

I personally think it is one of the best dramas, if not the best drama I have ever seen. It's not exciting so to speak, and not much really even happens in the first season, but it is an EXTREMELY accurate portrayal of people and their interactions with each other that I find fascinating and sometimes hilarious. I for one probably find the show much more comical than I'm supposed to, but sometimes the characters get angry/sad for the dumbest of reasons and I find that really funny because even though the reason is stupid, half the time the character is too and nothing is inaccurate.
  16. Jul 4, 2013
    One of the best shows ever written for television. It's 4 Best Drama Emmy awards can attest to that bold claim. It was ripped off of a record setting 5th in a row but whatever. No show has sustained the level of excellence that Mad Men has for 6 seasons in a row. They are supposed to have one final season as the show will culminate in 1969. I've always said that I want the show to endOne of the best shows ever written for television. It's 4 Best Drama Emmy awards can attest to that bold claim. It was ripped off of a record setting 5th in a row but whatever. No show has sustained the level of excellence that Mad Men has for 6 seasons in a row. They are supposed to have one final season as the show will culminate in 1969. I've always said that I want the show to end before we see Don Draper in bell-bottom jeans. However, if anyone could pull off that look it would be Dandy Don. Expand
  17. Apr 2, 2013
    Mad Men is certainly not a show that instantly grabs your attention like "24" or "Lost" but the subtle, yet well written, script and fantastic performances will slowly draw most viewers in over the course of this first season.

I can certainly see why some may complain that Mad Men is dull as the show certainly takes its time to introduce us to the characters and there motivations. Stick with it through the first half dozen episodes however and you will be rewarded with a show that continues to improve season upon season producing some of the most intelligent and interesting drama ever seen on television.
  18. Mar 4, 2013
    True to its time, and blatantly a goldmine for those whom fantasize of sophisticated dialogue, classy way of life, and superficiality in all its ostensible glory. I find myself deeply desiring more of Don Draper's business life, coinciding with his witticism and cliche-like presentations with clients, substantially more than his petty affairs. Perhaps such a hybrid not only exemplifies hisTrue to its time, and blatantly a goldmine for those whom fantasize of sophisticated dialogue, classy way of life, and superficiality in all its ostensible glory. I find myself deeply desiring more of Don Draper's business life, coinciding with his witticism and cliche-like presentations with clients, substantially more than his petty affairs. Perhaps such a hybrid not only exemplifies his character but also tends to market more to the feminine demographic. Expand
  19. Jan 16, 2013
    This is one of the few shows I really love and must see on TV. AMC does a good job with most. Seasons 1-2 were excellent. Season 3 was good, but things are beginning to run their course. Same thing happened with Breaking bad and Nip Tuck after 2 good seasons.

I love this so much, I often have watched the encore presentation back to back
  20. Nov 1, 2012
    Though it takes quite a bit of time and effort to really submit into the world of "Mad Men", after a few episodes it's worth the patience. Once you become submerged in the business world of the '60's, it's ruthless, realistic atmosphere is so interesting that it's impossible to not be convinced that the actors involved really exist in our time. The show is consistently well-written, andThough it takes quite a bit of time and effort to really submit into the world of "Mad Men", after a few episodes it's worth the patience. Once you become submerged in the business world of the '60's, it's ruthless, realistic atmosphere is so interesting that it's impossible to not be convinced that the actors involved really exist in our time. The show is consistently well-written, and every performance, particularly by Jon Hamm and January Jones, give it a sense of power that most TV shows beg for. Expand
  21. Apr 22, 2012
    The hype around this show was killing me and I really wanted to watch it, so I did and i did not regret wasting my time on it. Mad Men is awesome the era in which the show takes place is awesome the events that occur during each episode are interesting, the Actors are great and the backstory is great nonetheless. Big fan of the series so far !!
  22. Mar 26, 2012
    Excellent. Was a bit skeptical at first; due to the subject of the show. It didn't really pique my interest at first. But, I gave the first episode a try, and was completely drawn in by all of it. The atmosphere and authenticity of the time period is nailed perfectly here; you really do feel like your watching real life in the '60s. From the offices and rooms of the advertising agency, toExcellent. Was a bit skeptical at first; due to the subject of the show. It didn't really pique my interest at first. But, I gave the first episode a try, and was completely drawn in by all of it. The atmosphere and authenticity of the time period is nailed perfectly here; you really do feel like your watching real life in the '60s. From the offices and rooms of the advertising agency, to the musty bars and taverns -- everything feels spot on. The characters are well developed & interesting; there's a lot to enjoy just from the characters themselves. The character development in this show is very in-depth and well thought out. Characters don't just stay stagnant and stay the same, they change and grow over time (Peggy being the greatest example of that -- this season, at least) as the show progresses. The acting is top-notch as well; Hamm, Moss, & Slattery in particular.

There is no reason not to love this show. Give it a try before you knock it.
  23. Jan 16, 2012
    Art of Seduction 101! Don Draper can make TV women drop their panties with swagger. The Pick Up Artist! The only TV series with class and clever dialogue. No show can match its wit or office politics. Power play!
  24. Dec 30, 2011
    Without any doubt the best serie I've ever seen. It has a nice story, which is very realistic. The early 60's are protayed very well - by great actors such as Jon Hamm and Elisabeth Moss.

Also January Jones fits her character perfectly, I haven't seen one scene of her where she didn't act wonderfully.

I can't wait to see the next season.
  25. Dec 29, 2011
    Mad Men is intelligent and eclectic. A brilliant depiction of an ad firm back when capitalism was just growing into the propaganda monster it has now become. The show is rarely short of beautiful women as they seem to serve as short-term muses to Don Draper, the show's maddest man.
  26. Dec 16, 2011
    We love this show! Not very many shows out there give an honest representation of the American family but, this show has hit a nerve. America can't be summed up with a inane joke and a laugh track. We need to delve into our wonderful history and embrace both the good and the bad!
  27. Sep 30, 2011
    I seriously doubted that this season would be any good, to be honest. The first few episodes were, to say the worst, a bit boring. But as the show went on, I grew more and more involved with the story, characters and everything. Pretty damn good, though
  28. BKM
    Sep 23, 2011
    I gravely misjudged this series when I first viewed it. I mistakenly assumed that it was an exercise in style over substance. But the truth is that Mad Men is a series that moves at a deliberately slow pace as it peels away layer after layer of the facades that its characters have created to protect themselves from their own emotions and from the radical social changes that are beginningI gravely misjudged this series when I first viewed it. I mistakenly assumed that it was an exercise in style over substance. But the truth is that Mad Men is a series that moves at a deliberately slow pace as it peels away layer after layer of the facades that its characters have created to protect themselves from their own emotions and from the radical social changes that are beginning to forever change the cultural landscape. It rewards patience and loyalty with large emotional dividends. Expand
  29. Sep 5, 2011
    Let me preface with this statement: I wanted to like Madmen. I really really wanted to like it. I have been in a horrible lull in television. All of my staples are off air for a while and NetFlix has been making me question its loyalty to distracting me from being stuck in rural hell. I started Madmen because I religiously check Metacritic for show ideas and it just kept coming up on greatLet me preface with this statement: I wanted to like Madmen. I really really wanted to like it. I have been in a horrible lull in television. All of my staples are off air for a while and NetFlix has been making me question its loyalty to distracting me from being stuck in rural hell. I started Madmen because I religiously check Metacritic for show ideas and it just kept coming up on great shows lists.

Let's begin with what I do like. I constantly mental note the fashion. Jane is a bad ass **** Jon Hamm's acting skills aren't horrendous... thinking... thinking... grasping... I've got nothing. I can honestly think of nothing more. I couldn't even finish the available episodes because I simply can't give a **** about a single character or story line. Please allow me to go further.

I suppose Madmen writers and creators will say that the show is a bit of a satire. But it's satire like blackface is satire. It is... but you're a dick if you do it because you're not hitting your point. Shows in the 1950's/60's like Leave it to Beaver and I Love Lucy, flooded the airwaves with subservient domestic wives. The effects of this plus the push from lady's magazines caused an era of repressed, sad women that felt that their red lipstick and roasts were the only glue that kept their families together. Madmen does poke a little at this past sociological dark period, but at times I feel the glorification and glamorization of Mrs. Draper leans a little towards the promotion of the doormat wife. Madmen further punches women in the proverbial snatch by making Jon Hamm's incessant affairs so god damn acceptable all the while Mrs. Draper's perfectly reasonable reactions to her husband's affairs are portrayed in a way that make her seem difficult and nosy.

Yes, Madmen is a period piece. Yes, the period was one of psychological and sociological repression of women, but where the show takes a wrong turn is in a further promotion of the misogynistic attitudes that should not be apparent in the 21st century. Why does the show make Mrs. Draper so **** when she kicks her cheating husband out of the house? Why is Mr. Draper shown to be such a classy, evolved man, when his behavior is modeled after Hank Moody of Californication (or the real David Duchovny for that matter.)

I feel that in order for Madmen to pull the audience into the 1960's, they have lost integrity in their characters and their story. They have taken the fictional Leave it to Beaver Cleaver family as the reality for the 50's/60's family. When truly, by this time in American history nearly 40% of women and mothers were already in the workforce, most families were lower middle class, and many families adhered deeply to their cultural/ethnic heritage. Sociologist and TV aficionado Stephanie Coontz writes, "Contrary to popular opinion, Leave it to Beaver was not a documentary." Madmen missed that message.

to read more of my reviews go to: televisionhypnotism.blogspot.com
  30. Aug 20, 2011
    Just superb television. Works on so many different levels; like a lasagne. On the plus side watching this series has made me appreciate style and the joy of wearing a fine suit. On the downside it has made me want to start smoking again ;(
  31. Jun 18, 2011
    Mad Men is along with Breaking Bad the best show on TV. If you have not seen the show you are missing out. This is a show you have to watch from the beginning. The show is so subtle and nuanced. I can't even begin to describe how much I love this show. WATCH IT.
  32. Jun 8, 2011
    Season One: The Show is pretty good however the show lacks actual motive, structure and even plot but somehow the season is still entertaining which in itself is very impressive.
  33. May 5, 2011
    This was the gem that got away (from HBO)...but gratefully, a show made all the more accessible to viewers on AMC. The music and strategic placement of the era songs, fashion and advertising campaigns make the ad family of Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce (formerly Sterling Cooper) very alluring from a social-cultural perspective. That most of the cast are virtually new to many of us viewersThis was the gem that got away (from HBO)...but gratefully, a show made all the more accessible to viewers on AMC. The music and strategic placement of the era songs, fashion and advertising campaigns make the ad family of Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce (formerly Sterling Cooper) very alluring from a social-cultural perspective. That most of the cast are virtually new to many of us viewers (except those of us who fondly remember Robert Morse back in the day) compels us to keep our eye on the script and story driven developments. The stylish look, the visual and audio nuances and the political and cultural backdrop are enticements to keep us all watching from Season to Season. Many of us had hoped to see MAD MEN go off into the hemisphere....moving through the Camelot years of the 60s, through the roaring turbulence of the 70s....incorporating some of the Disco era....to the Morning in America, when our long national nightmare would really be over. Yet, negotiations appear to deprive us from this so there remains only 3 seasons left. What to do....what to do?? Expand
  34. Feb 8, 2011
    Mad Men shows great depths to the Characters, but is unfortunately lax with their story lines. I think the former makes up for the latter, and besides slack pacing, there really isn't a lot to complain about. One of the strong points of the whole series is how it says things without words, like the beautiful final shots of Don Draper that leave us wondering how one character can feel soMad Men shows great depths to the Characters, but is unfortunately lax with their story lines. I think the former makes up for the latter, and besides slack pacing, there really isn't a lot to complain about. One of the strong points of the whole series is how it says things without words, like the beautiful final shots of Don Draper that leave us wondering how one character can feel so much misery ,or eloquence, depending on the mood. Expand
  35. Jan 20, 2011
    Just started watching this show. Extremely entertaining. This show is not supposed to be life changing, it's just entertainment. I would like to ask the individuals that have rated this show below a score of "5" what they consider to be a "10" score this season. Please feel free to respond.
  36. Dec 13, 2010
    overrated. just started watching the show. the first season was average. i should stop here. but since its "the best show on tv" i'm guessing it gets better in the second season.
  37. Nov 24, 2010
    finally a show that makes you THINK! there is time to figure out what is going on for yourself, they don't spell it all out. characters are complex, unclear, frustrating, loveable--just like real people. great show!!!
  38. Oct 15, 2010
    Mad Men is an impressive new show and the brilliance doesn't stop at how decadent and accurate it is. The show boasts an remarkable cast of characters, in particular the cunning and striking Don Draper played by Jon Hamm in a remarkable iconic performance, the co-head of the company Roger Sterling who portrayed by John Slattery is brilliant in the episode "Long Weekend" and January JonesMad Men is an impressive new show and the brilliance doesn't stop at how decadent and accurate it is. The show boasts an remarkable cast of characters, in particular the cunning and striking Don Draper played by Jon Hamm in a remarkable iconic performance, the co-head of the company Roger Sterling who portrayed by John Slattery is brilliant in the episode "Long Weekend" and January Jones as Don's beautiful housewife Betty Draper who just brings both a beautiful charm and a hidden agenda to her portrayal. This show will go on to be remembered for the ages, the problem is that the show won't be as appealing to some audiences. Expand
  39. Oct 15, 2010
    Love the show, especially the stuff set in the business world vs the home-life stuff. One question though-- do the writers have some sort of competition on going for how unlikable they can make Betty?
  40. Oct 8, 2010
    Mad Men is poorly written, it spews continually lackluster dialogue, and it struggles with one boring plot line after another. The show boasts quite the cast, but this only underscores how poorly the writers have done in utilizing the talent at their disposal. When it first came out I was intrigued, and subsequently watched several episodes, but it didn't take long to come to theMad Men is poorly written, it spews continually lackluster dialogue, and it struggles with one boring plot line after another. The show boasts quite the cast, but this only underscores how poorly the writers have done in utilizing the talent at their disposal. When it first came out I was intrigued, and subsequently watched several episodes, but it didn't take long to come to the realization that there is simply no "there" there. Short of the somewhat unique premise of the series, there is absolutely nothing about this show that warrants the attention it is getting. Are people really so shallow that they fall for this sophomoric, gimmicky drivel? When I heard that it was actually winning awards I couldn't even believe by ears. Mad Men is every bit as trite and pathetic as our modern movies and music. Style over substance, nothing more. Expand
  41. Sep 17, 2010
    There is not a hair out of place on these actors nor a prop mis-acquired. The era is represented prefectly. As a woman, watching this can be quite shocking, it does help me put myself in my mother's shoes and understand her life.
  42. Aug 16, 2010
    Boring..season 4 shows that the writers are losing interest and certainly we feel the same. I watched this show from day one and always looked forward to to the next one. It is hard enough to keep up since there are only 13 shows a year but the writers are flying through the 60's missing many opportunities for good stories. This season is nothing more than Don sleeping with everyone andBoring..season 4 shows that the writers are losing interest and certainly we feel the same. I watched this show from day one and always looked forward to to the next one. It is hard enough to keep up since there are only 13 shows a year but the writers are flying through the 60's missing many opportunities for good stories. This season is nothing more than Don sleeping with everyone and drinking. Alright already, we got that in the first season. Betty's marriage was not written about at all...I wondered if I had missed a show...This season is tedious to watch. I was a huge fan this past 3 years. This season I am sorry I spent $20 on Itunes to get the show at a better time than 10 pm sunday nights...Bcoooooo MadMen Expand
  43. EliasC
    Sep 10, 2009
    It has taken me awhile to get around to this series, and I have only watched the first 3 episodes, but my initial impression is that this will be a great series. I originally thought that this show was a boring time piece on 1950/60's advertising. Instead I watched 3 episodes that expertly captured the cultural mores and human interactions of that period of history. This is a show It has taken me awhile to get around to this series, and I have only watched the first 3 episodes, but my initial impression is that this will be a great series. I originally thought that this show was a boring time piece on 1950/60's advertising. Instead I watched 3 episodes that expertly captured the cultural mores and human interactions of that period of history. This is a show for those who remember those times. Some people may wax woefully about the good old days of the early 60's, but for most of us THIS was the reality. The actors behave as if they stepped out of 1960 complete with their cynicism, twisted morality, sexism, and racism. Thankfully most of us have matured beyond the behavior portrayed in 'Mad Men'. For the rest, this show will be a painful reminder. Expand
  44. EmilyW
    Aug 26, 2009
    Stunning.
  45. MarieG
    Aug 18, 2009
    I anxiously awaited the second season. I was greatly disappointed in the homosexual scene. I was offended by the visual content. I felt that it crossed the line and was very inappropriate.
  46. EvaR.
    Aug 18, 2009
    This series is marvelous. I would only point out to the writers that back in 1960/63, people had not yet started to talk in the absurd way they do now, using "they" all the time instead of "he" (or "she" in appropriate places). I heard, "Of course it's possible someone could distinguish THEMSELVES..." spoken by a BRITISH member of the cast! NOT in 1963!
  47. EricS
    Jun 16, 2009
    My wife and I watched two episodes. We won't be watching a third. Mad Men is a hamfisted portrayal of a some of the more obvious biases and blindnesses of the early 60s. As if every day dawned in 1960 in order to provide white men with opportunities to manifest their sexual and racial biases and -- along with all the women and negros -- to smoke all the day through. I can only My wife and I watched two episodes. We won't be watching a third. Mad Men is a hamfisted portrayal of a some of the more obvious biases and blindnesses of the early 60s. As if every day dawned in 1960 in order to provide white men with opportunities to manifest their sexual and racial biases and -- along with all the women and negros -- to smoke all the day through. I can only explain the positive reviews of this show by surmising that the critics like to be assured -- as this show does minute by minute -- that we in the early 20th century are so much more enlightened than those Neanderthals in the mid 20th. Don't waste yout time on this one. Expand
  48. NathanS
    Dec 1, 2008
    This show was fun at first, but the twists and turns are predictable and boring at times. I just watched the first seasons and will not be tuning in for the second. How did this get such rave reviews from the masses? The masses are distracted by pretty clothing, this show is junk. My friend Alison Murphy recommended this show to me and I will never take her advice again.
  49. JoanneG
    Oct 3, 2008
    I am stunned by the realistic complexity of the characters and plot. I'm addicted.
  50. AaronS.
    Sep 21, 2008
    Fine production values and sharp casting. But for some odd reason the show just left me cold. Ultimately I found it to be very overrated.
  51. E-Man
    Sep 8, 2008
    The tension of what the future holds is palpably daunting amid superb characterizations in this peeled back look at a time when people struggled to cope with what was perceived as the cutting edge of social progress. Cinematic in feel, rich in portrayal, half the fun is in anticipating which incredibly politically incorrect taboo the cast will violate next. No Darrin Stevens in this up The tension of what the future holds is palpably daunting amid superb characterizations in this peeled back look at a time when people struggled to cope with what was perceived as the cutting edge of social progress. Cinematic in feel, rich in portrayal, half the fun is in anticipating which incredibly politically incorrect taboo the cast will violate next. No Darrin Stevens in this up and coming Madison Avenue advertising firm that focuses on a philandering husband Don Draper, a re-chiseled man with a past who's one of the best at what he does. Office hussies either work or become victims to ogling men, co-workers enjoy morning shots at their desks, divorcees are neighborhood pariahs, picnickers litter openly, partiers drink and drive, kids not only romp over seats in moving cars, but they also play under dry cleaner plastic and prep their daddies Expand
  52. RowenaC.
    May 18, 2008
    This is the best TV I have ever seen, as was 6 feet under. Beats anything that the BBC or other UK channels offer. Please don't stop making it.
  53. William
    Mar 29, 2008
    Superb! Simply the best writing, acting and production on TV today. Astounding and subtle detail on the Way We Were in the early 1960s. WOW !
  54. margaretm.
    Mar 24, 2008
    Just watched the complete series One this weekend over 3 nights. At first I was repulsed at the ugliness (not of the film itself, its setting etc they were stunning) but of an era I had the misfortune to experience...I cringed as I watched one scene after another riddled with the sexual politics I either experienced or witnessed. However I had to watch the next episode to see if things Just watched the complete series One this weekend over 3 nights. At first I was repulsed at the ugliness (not of the film itself, its setting etc they were stunning) but of an era I had the misfortune to experience...I cringed as I watched one scene after another riddled with the sexual politics I either experienced or witnessed. However I had to watch the next episode to see if things got better and by the third episode I was hooked! Am not a fan of TV series usually - but this one is very addictive - great acting too....I think the episodes relied a bit less on stereotyping as they developed and the characters became more fully developed. 8.5 Expand
  55. BigShooter
    Jan 19, 2008
    Have only watched 2 episodes so far, and, it's losing me... ...hopefully it picks up a bit.
  56. HarperA
    Jan 15, 2008
    Fascinating premise, lush and gorgeous cinematography, some excellent dialogue -- but wobbly execution at times. There are moments when the "oh, look at how terribly different the 1960s are!" tone becomes distracting and sophomoric. It's all a little too pat, and feels false. But this is true more in the early episodes than in the later episodes; the show is better when it digs deep Fascinating premise, lush and gorgeous cinematography, some excellent dialogue -- but wobbly execution at times. There are moments when the "oh, look at how terribly different the 1960s are!" tone becomes distracting and sophomoric. It's all a little too pat, and feels false. But this is true more in the early episodes than in the later episodes; the show is better when it digs deep into being a character drama. And like many of the other reviewers here, I think I become so intrigued by the premise that I am willing to overlook some of the eye-rolling moments. (FYI: if you think of this show as being a satisfying comedy, or a nostalgic look at "the good old days" when marriages worked and women knew their place, you are sincerely misunderstanding most of the serious themes of the show. But please continue to watch so that the show will stay on the air.) Expand
  57. MarkS
    Dec 20, 2007
    Phenomenal insight into the American psyche in 1960. Cinematography absolutely divine. I can practically smell the hairspray and Lucky Strike from the TV. Characters fit their roles wonderfully. Robert Morse is the perfect bridge character from that era. Good going!!!!!!!!!!!
  58. MartinS.
    Nov 28, 2007
    I couldn't take my eyes off of this show.
  59. DuncanB.
    Nov 16, 2007
    This is certainly the best drama since the first season of the Sopranos. Mature, elegant, exquisite writing and art direction. And compelling, voluptuously braided story lines.
  60. guyd.
    Oct 21, 2007
    The series started off with charm, wit and sophistication -- and actually got even better with each episode. But... was everyone so handsome and beautiful in 1960?
  61. TimH.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Better than just about everything on the broadcast channels - the acting and writing in this show is great. The schlocky "look at the 1960's technology" that was present in early episodes faded into the background, most likely because the you are completely absorbed by the characters. One of the best shows on television right now, and one of the best shows in the last decade. If you Better than just about everything on the broadcast channels - the acting and writing in this show is great. The schlocky "look at the 1960's technology" that was present in early episodes faded into the background, most likely because the you are completely absorbed by the characters. One of the best shows on television right now, and one of the best shows in the last decade. If you haven't checked it out, you are missing out. Expand
  62. Crystal
    Oct 19, 2007
    I love this show. It's very entertaining and witty. I really look forward to watching it and really hope it will be back on AMC for more of the same next season. I'm addicted to the show!
  63. samk
    Oct 19, 2007
    I love this show. It is a gift, a real treasure. I never thought television would ever be this mature, enlightened even. This show's first season is on par with the best in cinema as far as I can tell. Very smart writing, perfect execution, enigmatic tone. From the opening titles and their terrifying sense of free falling through the thin ice of modern life, to the fascinating I love this show. It is a gift, a real treasure. I never thought television would ever be this mature, enlightened even. This show's first season is on par with the best in cinema as far as I can tell. Very smart writing, perfect execution, enigmatic tone. From the opening titles and their terrifying sense of free falling through the thin ice of modern life, to the fascinating characters and superb cast, this is great stuff. I find it particularly interesting to watch Don Draper and Peggy Olsen inventing themselves before our eyes, riding a razor's edge. But I most enjoy the heady and heavy tone, delivering a wicked good story with cool style, variously reminiscent of Douglas Sirk, Stanley Kubrick and Yasujiro Ozu. Matthew Weiner has achieved a perfect recreation of the period's psychological atmosphere, as complete as Ang Lee's "The Ice Storm." You are there! Sorry Tom Schales, you simply don't get it. To those who find it boring, you should watch some ADD show instead. To those offended by the values and lifestyles portrayed, experiencing that is the point, because that is us and you just aren't aware of your own history. Expand
  64. petera.
    Oct 18, 2007
    Clearly the best show on TV, every week is funny, twisted and touching.
  65. JJ.
    Oct 15, 2007
    My husband and I are hard to please TV watchers--we don't like foul language but we like good drama and mystery and visually interesting scenes and dialogue with "sparks". We look forward to each new episode.
  66. CrisiK.
    Oct 9, 2007
    Mad Men is a refreshing realistic dose of what life was once like not too long ago. It's a way to feel comfortable and guilt-free about the lives our parents lived and it helps us to understand why life today is so different. The show is smart, funny and relevant. There are still so many issues in the home, workplace, and city-life that we still face today, just in a different Mad Men is a refreshing realistic dose of what life was once like not too long ago. It's a way to feel comfortable and guilt-free about the lives our parents lived and it helps us to understand why life today is so different. The show is smart, funny and relevant. There are still so many issues in the home, workplace, and city-life that we still face today, just in a different atmosphere. It's brilliant and well thought out. Expand
  67. LoriA.
    Sep 29, 2007
    This show keeps you coming back for more. You definitely have to wait for the "kicker" in each show, but it's worth the wait. The best was "Stepford Wife" Betty with her white-frame sunglasses and cigarette hanging out of her mouth, shooting the neighbor's homing pigeons!
  68. GeorgeD
    Sep 25, 2007
    Further proof that TV has vaulted past the movies in dramatic writing and even production design. Completely engaging.
  69. JoanL.
    Sep 24, 2007
    I had given up on watching TV until I started on this program. Here's hoping it continues.
  70. NikS.
    Sep 23, 2007
    This show is why marriages used to work. Wish the world was like this today. Women could learn a thing or two from this amazing show. Its like watching my grandparents when they were young. Ps. They're still together.
  71. JaneM.
    Sep 22, 2007
    Without a doubt the best drama on TV in 2007!
  72. BrianS.
    Sep 19, 2007
    Best Show On TV.
  73. LibD.
    Sep 18, 2007
    Awesome! couldn't love this show more.
  74. JeanM.
    Sep 17, 2007
    Finally----a good one!
  75. HollieW.
    Sep 13, 2007
    Amazing, beautiful and captivating.
  76. VICKIEP
    Sep 12, 2007
    This show is right on. You have to read between the lines but it is worth it. I love the subtleness and wit of the writers in developing the plots and the characters. Hope AMC does not give up on this gem!!!
  77. BillY.
    Sep 11, 2007
    brilliantly written, acted, and directed. the details are amazing...everything from the social attitudes towards race, gender, politics...to the design, fashion, and even health. I'm not sure why it's on AMC, but I'm thankful that AMC has an HD Comcast On Demand channel. Fantastic show.
  78. GeoffR.
    Sep 10, 2007
    The show has potential but the storyline has got to get more interesting. For all of the praise showered on the writing I have found it to be uneven. There have been some good bits of writing but other bits of dialogue just don't ring true at all. Certainly the era has caught the interest of many people and it looks like this will certainly get a second season. But hope the producers The show has potential but the storyline has got to get more interesting. For all of the praise showered on the writing I have found it to be uneven. There have been some good bits of writing but other bits of dialogue just don't ring true at all. Certainly the era has caught the interest of many people and it looks like this will certainly get a second season. But hope the producers realize it isn't the Soprano's yet and they have a lot of work to hold the audience in the second year. Expand
  79. BarbaraS.
    Sep 2, 2007
    I have been watching this show since it began and look forward to every episode. While I was not in the business until the late '70's, even in that era I can still recall the similarities that still existed in 1978. In fact, my Aunt tells me that employment applications in 1960 asked for your religious persuasion, and friends have told me that their relatives married their I have been watching this show since it began and look forward to every episode. While I was not in the business until the late '70's, even in that era I can still recall the similarities that still existed in 1978. In fact, my Aunt tells me that employment applications in 1960 asked for your religious persuasion, and friends have told me that their relatives married their bosses. The episode that shows the junior executive keeping his position because of his family connections is right on! It is so true... Also entertaining is the tidbits about the sponsors' ad history. Lots of things I did not know. My son, who is a sophomore in college is addicted to this show. Great writing. Keep it up. I hope that AMC does not pull this show. In comparison to AMC's average rating, this show is really way ahead in viewership. Expand
  80. WilliamV.
    Sep 2, 2007
    IBM Selectric typewriters in 1960? They were not even introduced until late in 1961 (check Wikipedia). My point? The moral attitudes depicting have the same lack of accuracy. Someone was too lazy to actually do the research and get it right. You are given the current politically accepted stereotype of the times.
  81. judyt.
    Sep 1, 2007
    Absolutely the best progrm on tv in years(except the Sopranos) Please keep it on in the fall!
  82. GabrielA
    Aug 31, 2007
    Excellent, amazing show. Well done.
  83. LilaR.
    Aug 28, 2007
    I love this show. It is one of the first I have seen in a long time that I never want to miss. Kudos to AMC !
  84. JanetL.
    Aug 26, 2007
    I worked in Advertising in NYC on Lexington Avenue in the early 80's and am really enjoying this show. Women has come a long way baby - my boss was a female - I was a media trainee. The big expense accounts and elaborate gifts were flush then. I started out as a secretary in a pool to a group of "ad space" men. A truly enjoyable show. .
  85. EM
    Aug 25, 2007
    All the subtlety of a campaign commercial: there's nothing but preaching to the converted here. If you don't believe that everything good and holy in this world was invented sometime in -- and by -- the Kennedy administration, you won't believe this show. I found it particularly disappointing since the advertising leading into the premiere led me to expect a naughty (but All the subtlety of a campaign commercial: there's nothing but preaching to the converted here. If you don't believe that everything good and holy in this world was invented sometime in -- and by -- the Kennedy administration, you won't believe this show. I found it particularly disappointing since the advertising leading into the premiere led me to expect a naughty (but fun) show about naughty people doing naughty things with alcohol, cigarettes and sex at work before we decided (correctly) that these were all very bad. But still fun. Except no one on this show is having any fun at all. And neither will you (unless you require endless validation on how much better you are than your parents -- or their parents). Expand
  86. PaulaJ.
    Aug 25, 2007
    I found this in Comcast's On Demand. Completely engaging, wonderful costumes and sets. Addictive.
  87. DebbieS.
    Aug 23, 2007
    I am fascinated by how the show recreates this era. It is good for young people today to see what it was like in the days before feminism, when attitudes about race, religion, and sexual harrassment in the workplace stagnated opportunities for women, minorities, and gays. Things aren't perfect now, but at least there isn't a smoky haze creating a smug fictional perfection over I am fascinated by how the show recreates this era. It is good for young people today to see what it was like in the days before feminism, when attitudes about race, religion, and sexual harrassment in the workplace stagnated opportunities for women, minorities, and gays. Things aren't perfect now, but at least there isn't a smoky haze creating a smug fictional perfection over American life. Expand
  88. DaveC
    Aug 22, 2007
    Great humor in looking at how you used to live as a kid. Did we really survive playing with BB guns and dry cleaning bags? Oh yeah, we used to call the neighbors Mr. and Mrs. not by their first names. At minimum, Mad Men allows us to chuckle at ourselves. Beyond that, a deep look into the way the office used to operate -- good or bad -- makes us see how far we have come. However, the Great humor in looking at how you used to live as a kid. Did we really survive playing with BB guns and dry cleaning bags? Oh yeah, we used to call the neighbors Mr. and Mrs. not by their first names. At minimum, Mad Men allows us to chuckle at ourselves. Beyond that, a deep look into the way the office used to operate -- good or bad -- makes us see how far we have come. However, the personal issues we never seem to figure out. Fifty years later, we still can't get that straight. Expand
  89. robr.
    Aug 19, 2007
    Perfect television.
  90. DebbieE.
    Aug 17, 2007
    I can't wait to watch this show very week. At the end of each episode, I want more. I applaud the set deisgners for the detail. It's amazing to see items that remind you of your own home while growing up.
  91. BF.
    Aug 16, 2007
    Wonderful program, writing, acting, props,sets and drama. We loose sight of how the world was in the early 60's but this brings it back. The male supremacy, occasional independent woman and separation of male/female roles is hard to watch because it is so close to the truth.
  92. JimK.
    Aug 15, 2007
    Wow! I'm stunned at the failure to get this show by a great critic like Tom Schales, but man Mad Men is just terrific! It's portrayal of the era is spot on--my dad was Don Drapers' age in 1960 at McCann-Ericsson and we grew up in a neighborhood of "Mad Men" who took the train every day to agencies like DDB, Ted Bates and others. But Weiner isn't doing a documentary, Wow! I'm stunned at the failure to get this show by a great critic like Tom Schales, but man Mad Men is just terrific! It's portrayal of the era is spot on--my dad was Don Drapers' age in 1960 at McCann-Ericsson and we grew up in a neighborhood of "Mad Men" who took the train every day to agencies like DDB, Ted Bates and others. But Weiner isn't doing a documentary, instead he uses the era to tell us about the characters in it and in a way comment on our current society. Any young woman who disses feminism should check out this show. From the closeted gay art director, to Draper's agony at finding himself actually in love but locked into marriage to sorority girl who herself, knows something wrong with their "perfect" life, to Draper's boss, played by John Slattery, who is trapped in his own way as the son of the nutty dictator who founded the agency to Pete Campbell the entitled but still anguished junior account exec, and finally the new girl in the secretarial pool, who, after seeing a weeping co-worker and getting the skinny on the business from a cynical copywriter, might be on her way to something more perhaps (?), Mad Men delivers character after character worth caring about. Having seen the first four episodes, I can only say it's the best viewing experience I've had since season one of the Sopranos--like that show it took something I thought I knew about, and created a unique, and facinating world that seems very real. Don't miss it! Expand
  93. MarkS.
    Aug 14, 2007
    I gave this an unbaised shot at first, the show proved slow, akward, boring, and seemingly uncomfortable with itself, thus I wrote it off without a negative word to be said or written. However, I get innundated with nonstop self-aggrandizing commercials, "making-of" mini-movies, and bold quotes from professional critics whom I now USED to have respect for singing the praises of this I gave this an unbaised shot at first, the show proved slow, akward, boring, and seemingly uncomfortable with itself, thus I wrote it off without a negative word to be said or written. However, I get innundated with nonstop self-aggrandizing commercials, "making-of" mini-movies, and bold quotes from professional critics whom I now USED to have respect for singing the praises of this ridicilious piece of trash, so I feel compelled to dissertate in order to create, if even in only some marginally fractional inconsequential way, some balance to this very unwarranted hype. First off all the depictions of female stupidity, weakness and superficiality, of chauvinism, bigotry, racism and antisemitism, of simplistic "bad-habits", of manipulation and philandering in business and life, of unprepared, unmotivated, simple-minded advertising agency employees and typical office-politics are regressive and totally uninteresting to begin with, let alone when they are executed with bland, amateurish acting, bad timing, bad, nonsensical, inaccurate and even utterly incorrect writing when it tags itself as so totally realistic. And secondly, since when is it such an accomplishment to dress a period-piece accurately, especially with such simple props, locations and attire? Has this not been done in TENS OF THOUSANDS of television & film productions in the "pre mad-men" era, even "gasp" going back to the 1940's and "OMG" even prior to then! WOW! I find it amazing that some big critics are wiling to put their professional reputations on the line by assigning "perfect 10's", in other words "the absolute epitome of media production", to such a totally ineffectual, inconsequential waste of time. Expand
  94. GinnyW
    Aug 10, 2007
    Love this show. Love the subtle, restrained, conflicted characterization & the generational and gender juxtapositioning. Kudos to the writers & actors - Intelligent, artful drama on TV - What a concept!!
  95. SteveA.
    Aug 9, 2007
    Doctors have ER. Lifeguards have Baywatch. Now Salesman/women now have Mad Men. Suite up, Smile, Shake hands and SELL IT! Close the big deal, tell the spouse you will be late and in your spare time watch Mad Men becuase it will bring sanity to your Sales career.
  96. RobL.
    Aug 9, 2007
    This is one of thebest written shows I've ever seen. Great acting, great art direction. I was just a little kid in the late 50's and early 60's but more correctly than any film or TV show I have ever seen, "Mad Men" captures the look, the feel, the mores and the manners of that time period.
  97. otherK.
    Aug 7, 2007
    Set designs alone make this a must-watch. Was looking for a new drama and this (along with Weeds) is it!
  98. ChrisC
    Aug 6, 2007
    Out of all the differences between current culture and 1960's culture, Mad Men puts a hard focus on the aspects that are now considered the most politically incorrect, and it's obvious they're doing it just for shock value and to be 'HBO-like'. It's obvious a lot of effort and care was put into the theme and atmosphere, but unfortunately, the script is Out of all the differences between current culture and 1960's culture, Mad Men puts a hard focus on the aspects that are now considered the most politically incorrect, and it's obvious they're doing it just for shock value and to be 'HBO-like'. It's obvious a lot of effort and care was put into the theme and atmosphere, but unfortunately, the script is dreadfully boring. Expand
  99. MikeB.
    Aug 1, 2007
    A silly story wrapped in a gimmick. Actually, there hardly is a story -- mostly just the gimmick of the period costumes and the sexist, racist dialog. Well worth a miss.
  100. MikeN.
    Jul 28, 2007
    If you are going to make a character driven series, Step 1 is to make the characters interesting. And, unfortunately, there just are not any interesting characters here. Don Draper, the central figure, is so underplayed that he might as well be a prop. He sits, he muses, he smokes, he looks off into space. Occasionally, very occasionally, he will say something. Something supposed to be If you are going to make a character driven series, Step 1 is to make the characters interesting. And, unfortunately, there just are not any interesting characters here. Don Draper, the central figure, is so underplayed that he might as well be a prop. He sits, he muses, he smokes, he looks off into space. Occasionally, very occasionally, he will say something. Something supposed to be witty, or cutting or profound, but which is usually none of those things. The rest of the cast plays an assortment of characters based on 50's stereotypes. Which shows up the show's basically flawed premise: it is stupid to try to seriously explore the prejudices and follies of the early 1960s advertising men. I mean, who cares what their stupid opinions were? Does anybody really look back at the Rat Pack era as some sort of Golden Age? The ironic take used simply has no worthwhile target. It is like watching a guy beat up a drunk in an alleyway. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    May 29, 2013
    Interestingly, a lot of nothing adds up to a big something.
  2. It's very filmic both in execution and ambition as it explores life before Betty Friedan and the Surgeon General's warnings on cigarette packs.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    What gives Mad Men its zing is that play is part of work, sexual banter isn't yet harassment, and America is free of self-doubt, guilt, and countercultural confusion.