• Network: AMC
  • Series Premiere Date: Jul 19, 2007
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 7.5
8.5

1. Apr 10, 2015
    The first season of Mad Men I've actually seen twice. The first season is just such a great introduction. The shows pilot episode is one of my personal favorites. Jon Hamm captivates us for the beginning as Don Draper. Draper is one of the most interesting characters that have ever been on television. Despite Draper's obvious flaws I am incredibly drawn to him and then you see his completeThe first season of Mad Men I've actually seen twice. The first season is just such a great introduction. The shows pilot episode is one of my personal favorites. Jon Hamm captivates us for the beginning as Don Draper. Draper is one of the most interesting characters that have ever been on television. Despite Draper's obvious flaws I am incredibly drawn to him and then you see his complete opposite in the antagonist Pete Campbell who you hate as much as you love Draper. The show really captures the point in time that it is sent in which is 1960. The Kennedy vs Nixon election is one of the most pivotal moments of the season. The show starts off wonderfully but also the last three episodes of the season are amazing. Expand
  2. Feb 5, 2015
    polka dot corpse

polka dot corpse

Mad Men successfully established the prototype for the new cable serial drama. It has the look and feel of something splendid. It is set in the 60's, yet never truly demonstrated just how profound that decade was. The period and setting is reduced to simple decor without a soul. Like advertising. Like the man who calls himself Don Draper. The 60's may well be the most significant decade in America, one that spawned promises we are still coming to terms with and catching up to, but in Mad Men it is merely peripheral embellishment, window dressing. Despite it's minimalist execution and vapid content, Mad Men has the lure and semblance of profound significance. In it's entire bouquet of 86 episodes, little actually happened. It could all have been effectively distilled into a 90 minute movie. Yet it was all so very seductive and entrancing. It ensnared us with a false nostalgia, those simple, innocuous times. It teased us with a sly grin more enigmatic than the Mona Lisa. Above all, it manufactured a tender impression of comfort and familiarity. Like a narcissistic mirrored experience, punctuated by misguided sexual impulses. Provoking in us to question the flimsiness of our own psyche. At it's core Mad Men is a zombie flick. Empty characters in a soulless world, carrying on despite the absence of meaning and identity. We aren't Don Draper. Jon Hamm isn't Don Draper. Not even Don Draper is Don Draper. I'm still waiting to see the final 7 episodes but I predict (**** Warning! Imaginary Spoiler Ahead! Stop Now or Proceed With Caution! ****) it may end like it began: Don Draper kills Don Draper, possibly sparing his wife. More likely though: nothing much.
  3. Jan 25, 2015
    When the first season of Mad Men was shown on TV, I thought it was absolutely brilliant. I loved everything about it: the accuracy of the details, the wonderful costumes, the slow pace - finally a show that does not flow at manic speed and where there is more than car chase and explosions.

I found it delightful that the focus of the show was an advertisement agency and not hospitals and police stations, as it happens all too often. All this and one of the most mysterious, magnetic characters to grace the screen (Don Draper) and you have one of the best TV shows of the decade.
  4. Nov 15, 2014
    Requires a little patience, a few episodes from the second episode, but when you go watching, you goes enjoying it, trying to understand the ideas, the concepts of the time.
  5. Oct 13, 2014
    I know a lot of people love this show and I respect that, but I honestly find it very boring. The plot is uninteresting to me and there is almost no action. To me mad men just seems like a well-written soap opera. If you think cinematography and writing matter more than simple enjoyment, this is definitely worth watching for you. If you just want a good show that doesn't make you askI know a lot of people love this show and I respect that, but I honestly find it very boring. The plot is uninteresting to me and there is almost no action. To me mad men just seems like a well-written soap opera. If you think cinematography and writing matter more than simple enjoyment, this is definitely worth watching for you. If you just want a good show that doesn't make you ask yourself ''when is this going to be over?'' and a show that's not so slow and more exciting, than I'd highly recommend you skip it. Expand
  6. May 26, 2014
    Mad Men is a great show; it really is an intriguing world that the writers have created and the acting is sublime. Although the decision to make a mid-season finale is dreadful as it was with Breaking Bad, I can't wait until I can finish this epic and I am curious to see if it all comes to a fantastic crescendo.
  7. May 15, 2014
    Mad men made this show alright. I don't know what kind of audience they are trying to target with Mad Men but I'm 20 and this show doesn't appeal to me at all, I guess they are going with the older crowd. This show has very poor dialog, very uninteresting plots nobody cares about, I like the idea of a show being set in the 1960s but couldn't they have picked anything more boring than anMad men made this show alright. I don't know what kind of audience they are trying to target with Mad Men but I'm 20 and this show doesn't appeal to me at all, I guess they are going with the older crowd. This show has very poor dialog, very uninteresting plots nobody cares about, I like the idea of a show being set in the 1960s but couldn't they have picked anything more boring than an advertising agency?

I don't care about this show at all, it's completely boring and bad.
  8. Mar 7, 2014
    I think that Mad Men is a great piece of TV/AMC history. I seriously think that Donald Draper is one of the best TV characters ( With Tony Soprano, Walter White, Frank Agnew, Harvey Spector AND Micheal Westin) But Madmen is a great piece of TV Histore it is for 14+ But I advise you.................... To watch this show
  9. Jan 18, 2014
    The feminist in me had trouble getting into the show during the first episode. After hearing friends recommend it highly, I stuck with it and it's now one of my favorite shows. It's brilliantly done, expertly crafted characters with a story line that grabs a hold of you and doesn't let go. I love Betty (January Jones), she is compelling in a magnetic way. And Elisabeth Moss (Peggy) is theThe feminist in me had trouble getting into the show during the first episode. After hearing friends recommend it highly, I stuck with it and it's now one of my favorite shows. It's brilliantly done, expertly crafted characters with a story line that grabs a hold of you and doesn't let go. I love Betty (January Jones), she is compelling in a magnetic way. And Elisabeth Moss (Peggy) is the redeeming voice for women. For me, the show would've gotten a 10 if they had toned down the gratuitous nakedness. Overall, the psychology of the characters is fascinating, and the plot line addictive. Expand
  10. Jan 4, 2014
    An intelligent, cool, refreshing and very enjoyable TV show. The representations of its time, place and people couldn't be more accurate nor interesting. Great, the beginning of a great series.
  11. Sep 20, 2013
    So amazing. The character development is phenomenal. Although I wasn't born quite a bit AFTER the 50's, 60's and 70's, I love taking a look into that world, in those times, with these characters. My advice: Just. Watch. It.
  12. Aug 19, 2013
    I wasn't sure about the score. Truth is, this show's somewhere in between seven and eight. I watched the whole thing, and it really has you connecting with some damn real characters and background. But there wasn't enough things going on for me. The events in season one were mostly, too expected.

I might give season two a shot, not sure yet.
  13. Aug 16, 2013
    Addictive and engaging yet subtle. Beautifully shot and acted with multi layered characters. The plot is always detailed and never obvious. Mad Men is unique and clever but always entertains.
  14. Aug 10, 2013
    Mad Men is a severely overrated drama containing hardly any drama, which is sort of critical to a drama. And with all of the sex, deceit, lies, secrets, infidelity, and shady motives, the lack of drama and intrigue is no less than shocking.
    The performances are monotonous with precisely two exceptions, the characters are monotonous with precisely two exceptions, the writing is monotonous providing only a superficial spectrum of the time period it's set in giving little to no historical insight, the long running story has almost no continuity as the actions and behaviors and the people these characters interact with hardly ever carry on or tie in later in the show, and there's never any kind of a perspective or a point given. Mad Men just kind of floats along with no objective, no motive, and no story, which is fine in some cases, like Pulp Fiction, but it at least Pulp Fiction is actually entertaining, and its characters have strong and likable personalities. Mad Men has no redemptive qualities other than its aesthetics. Yes, it looks and feels exactly like the 60s, but you can get about as much out of Mad Men as you can from google searching advertising campaigns from the 60s.
  15. Jul 12, 2013
    Most of the bad reviews on this website for this show don't understand one of two things:

1. This is an extremely accurate portrayal of the 60s. Everyone dressed like this, and many women acted like this. 2. As one reviewer said: Mad Men is a hamfisted portrayal of a some of the more obvious biases and blindnesses of the early 60s. As if every day dawned in 1960 in order to provide

2. As one reviewer said: Mad Men is a hamfisted portrayal of a some of the more obvious biases and blindnesses of the early 60s. As if every day dawned in 1960 in order to provide white men with opportunities to manifest their sexual and racial biases"

Not all white men were provide with "opportunities to manifest their sexual and racial biases," but the ad men on Madison Avenue were. They were notorious, but most men were relatively similar to today with maybe some sexism and racism mixed in.

I personally think it is one of the best dramas, if not the best drama I have ever seen. It's not exciting so to speak, and not much really even happens in the first season, but it is an EXTREMELY accurate portrayal of people and their interactions with each other that I find fascinating and sometimes hilarious. I for one probably find the show much more comical than I'm supposed to, but sometimes the characters get angry/sad for the dumbest of reasons and I find that really funny because even though the reason is stupid, half the time the character is too and nothing is inaccurate.
  16. Jul 4, 2013
    One of the best shows ever written for television. It's 4 Best Drama Emmy awards can attest to that bold claim. It was ripped off of a record setting 5th in a row but whatever. No show has sustained the level of excellence that Mad Men has for 6 seasons in a row. They are supposed to have one final season as the show will culminate in 1969. I've always said that I want the show to endOne of the best shows ever written for television. It's 4 Best Drama Emmy awards can attest to that bold claim. It was ripped off of a record setting 5th in a row but whatever. No show has sustained the level of excellence that Mad Men has for 6 seasons in a row. They are supposed to have one final season as the show will culminate in 1969. I've always said that I want the show to end before we see Don Draper in bell-bottom jeans. However, if anyone could pull off that look it would be Dandy Don. Expand
  17. Apr 2, 2013
    Mad Men is certainly not a show that instantly grabs your attention like "24" or "Lost" but the subtle, yet well written, script and fantastic performances will slowly draw most viewers in over the course of this first season.

I can certainly see why some may complain that Mad Men is dull as the show certainly takes its time to introduce us to the characters and there motivations. Stick with it through the first half dozen episodes however and you will be rewarded with a show that continues to improve season upon season producing some of the most intelligent and interesting drama ever seen on television.
  18. Mar 4, 2013
    True to its time, and blatantly a goldmine for those whom fantasize of sophisticated dialogue, classy way of life, and superficiality in all its ostensible glory. I find myself deeply desiring more of Don Draper's business life, coinciding with his witticism and cliche-like presentations with clients, substantially more than his petty affairs. Perhaps such a hybrid not only exemplifies hisTrue to its time, and blatantly a goldmine for those whom fantasize of sophisticated dialogue, classy way of life, and superficiality in all its ostensible glory. I find myself deeply desiring more of Don Draper's business life, coinciding with his witticism and cliche-like presentations with clients, substantially more than his petty affairs. Perhaps such a hybrid not only exemplifies his character but also tends to market more to the feminine demographic. Expand
  19. Jan 16, 2013
    This is one of the few shows I really love and must see on TV. AMC does a good job with most. Seasons 1-2 were excellent. Season 3 was good, but things are beginning to run their course. Same thing happened with Breaking bad and Nip Tuck after 2 good seasons.

I love this so much, I often have watched the encore presentation back to back
  20. Nov 1, 2012
    Though it takes quite a bit of time and effort to really submit into the world of "Mad Men", after a few episodes it's worth the patience. Once you become submerged in the business world of the '60's, it's ruthless, realistic atmosphere is so interesting that it's impossible to not be convinced that the actors involved really exist in our time. The show is consistently well-written, andThough it takes quite a bit of time and effort to really submit into the world of "Mad Men", after a few episodes it's worth the patience. Once you become submerged in the business world of the '60's, it's ruthless, realistic atmosphere is so interesting that it's impossible to not be convinced that the actors involved really exist in our time. The show is consistently well-written, and every performance, particularly by Jon Hamm and January Jones, give it a sense of power that most TV shows beg for. Expand
  21. Apr 22, 2012
    The hype around this show was killing me and I really wanted to watch it, so I did and i did not regret wasting my time on it. Mad Men is awesome the era in which the show takes place is awesome the events that occur during each episode are interesting, the Actors are great and the backstory is great nonetheless. Big fan of the series so far !!
  22. Mar 26, 2012
    Excellent. Was a bit skeptical at first; due to the subject of the show. It didn't really pique my interest at first. But, I gave the first episode a try, and was completely drawn in by all of it. The atmosphere and authenticity of the time period is nailed perfectly here; you really do feel like your watching real life in the '60s. From the offices and rooms of the advertising agency, toExcellent. Was a bit skeptical at first; due to the subject of the show. It didn't really pique my interest at first. But, I gave the first episode a try, and was completely drawn in by all of it. The atmosphere and authenticity of the time period is nailed perfectly here; you really do feel like your watching real life in the '60s. From the offices and rooms of the advertising agency, to the musty bars and taverns -- everything feels spot on. The characters are well developed & interesting; there's a lot to enjoy just from the characters themselves. The character development in this show is very in-depth and well thought out. Characters don't just stay stagnant and stay the same, they change and grow over time (Peggy being the greatest example of that -- this season, at least) as the show progresses. The acting is top-notch as well; Hamm, Moss, & Slattery in particular.

There is no reason not to love this show. Give it a try before you knock it.
  23. Jan 16, 2012
    Art of Seduction 101! Don Draper can make TV women drop their panties with swagger. The Pick Up Artist! The only TV series with class and clever dialogue. No show can match its wit or office politics. Power play!
  24. Dec 30, 2011
    Without any doubt the best serie I've ever seen. It has a nice story, which is very realistic. The early 60's are protayed very well - by great actors such as Jon Hamm and Elisabeth Moss.

Also January Jones fits her character perfectly, I haven't seen one scene of her where she didn't act wonderfully.

I can't wait to see the next season.
  25. Dec 29, 2011
    Mad Men is intelligent and eclectic. A brilliant depiction of an ad firm back when capitalism was just growing into the propaganda monster it has now become. The show is rarely short of beautiful women as they seem to serve as short-term muses to Don Draper, the show's maddest man.
  26. Dec 16, 2011
    We love this show! Not very many shows out there give an honest representation of the American family but, this show has hit a nerve. America can't be summed up with a inane joke and a laugh track. We need to delve into our wonderful history and embrace both the good and the bad!
  27. Sep 30, 2011
    I seriously doubted that this season would be any good, to be honest. The first few episodes were, to say the worst, a bit boring. But as the show went on, I grew more and more involved with the story, characters and everything. Pretty damn good, though
  28. BKM
    Sep 23, 2011
    I gravely misjudged this series when I first viewed it. I mistakenly assumed that it was an exercise in style over substance. But the truth is that Mad Men is a series that moves at a deliberately slow pace as it peels away layer after layer of the facades that its characters have created to protect themselves from their own emotions and from the radical social changes that are beginningI gravely misjudged this series when I first viewed it. I mistakenly assumed that it was an exercise in style over substance. But the truth is that Mad Men is a series that moves at a deliberately slow pace as it peels away layer after layer of the facades that its characters have created to protect themselves from their own emotions and from the radical social changes that are beginning to forever change the cultural landscape. It rewards patience and loyalty with large emotional dividends. Expand
  29. Sep 5, 2011
    Let me preface with this statement: I wanted to like Madmen. I really really wanted to like it. I have been in a horrible lull in television. All of my staples are off air for a while and NetFlix has been making me question its loyalty to distracting me from being stuck in rural hell. I started Madmen because I religiously check Metacritic for show ideas and it just kept coming up on greatLet me preface with this statement: I wanted to like Madmen. I really really wanted to like it. I have been in a horrible lull in television. All of my staples are off air for a while and NetFlix has been making me question its loyalty to distracting me from being stuck in rural hell. I started Madmen because I religiously check Metacritic for show ideas and it just kept coming up on great shows lists.

Let's begin with what I do like. I constantly mental note the fashion. Jane is a bad ass **** Jon Hamm's acting skills aren't horrendous... thinking... thinking... grasping... I've got nothing. I can honestly think of nothing more. I couldn't even finish the available episodes because I simply can't give a **** about a single character or story line. Please allow me to go further.

I suppose Madmen writers and creators will say that the show is a bit of a satire. But it's satire like blackface is satire. It is... but you're a dick if you do it because you're not hitting your point. Shows in the 1950's/60's like Leave it to Beaver and I Love Lucy, flooded the airwaves with subservient domestic wives. The effects of this plus the push from lady's magazines caused an era of repressed, sad women that felt that their red lipstick and roasts were the only glue that kept their families together. Madmen does poke a little at this past sociological dark period, but at times I feel the glorification and glamorization of Mrs. Draper leans a little towards the promotion of the doormat wife. Madmen further punches women in the proverbial snatch by making Jon Hamm's incessant affairs so god damn acceptable all the while Mrs. Draper's perfectly reasonable reactions to her husband's affairs are portrayed in a way that make her seem difficult and nosy.

Yes, Madmen is a period piece. Yes, the period was one of psychological and sociological repression of women, but where the show takes a wrong turn is in a further promotion of the misogynistic attitudes that should not be apparent in the 21st century. Why does the show make Mrs. Draper so **** when she kicks her cheating husband out of the house? Why is Mr. Draper shown to be such a classy, evolved man, when his behavior is modeled after Hank Moody of Californication (or the real David Duchovny for that matter.)

I feel that in order for Madmen to pull the audience into the 1960's, they have lost integrity in their characters and their story. They have taken the fictional Leave it to Beaver Cleaver family as the reality for the 50's/60's family. When truly, by this time in American history nearly 40% of women and mothers were already in the workforce, most families were lower middle class, and many families adhered deeply to their cultural/ethnic heritage. Sociologist and TV aficionado Stephanie Coontz writes, "Contrary to popular opinion, Leave it to Beaver was not a documentary." Madmen missed that message.

to read more of my reviews go to: televisionhypnotism.blogspot.com
  30. Aug 20, 2011
    Just superb television. Works on so many different levels; like a lasagne. On the plus side watching this series has made me appreciate style and the joy of wearing a fine suit. On the downside it has made me want to start smoking again ;(

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    May 29, 2013
    Interestingly, a lot of nothing adds up to a big something.
  2. It's very filmic both in execution and ambition as it explores life before Betty Friedan and the Surgeon General's warnings on cigarette packs.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    What gives Mad Men its zing is that play is part of work, sexual banter isn't yet harassment, and America is free of self-doubt, guilt, and countercultural confusion.