• Network: AMC
  • Series Premiere Date: Jul 19, 2007
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8
8.5

1. Oct 13, 2014
    I know a lot of people love this show and I respect that, but I honestly find it very boring. The plot is uninteresting to me and there is almost no action. To me mad men just seems like a well-written soap opera. If you think cinematography and writing matter more than simple enjoyment, this is definitely worth watching for you. If you just want a good show that doesn't make you askI know a lot of people love this show and I respect that, but I honestly find it very boring. The plot is uninteresting to me and there is almost no action. To me mad men just seems like a well-written soap opera. If you think cinematography and writing matter more than simple enjoyment, this is definitely worth watching for you. If you just want a good show that doesn't make you ask yourself ''when is this going to be over?'' and a show that's not so slow and more exciting, than I'd highly recommend you skip it. Expand
  2. May 15, 2014
    Mad men made this show alright. I don't know what kind of audience they are trying to target with Mad Men but I'm 20 and this show doesn't appeal to me at all, I guess they are going with the older crowd. This show has very poor dialog, very uninteresting plots nobody cares about, I like the idea of a show being set in the 1960s but couldn't they have picked anything more boring than anMad men made this show alright. I don't know what kind of audience they are trying to target with Mad Men but I'm 20 and this show doesn't appeal to me at all, I guess they are going with the older crowd. This show has very poor dialog, very uninteresting plots nobody cares about, I like the idea of a show being set in the 1960s but couldn't they have picked anything more boring than an advertising agency?

I don't care about this show at all, it's completely boring and bad.
  3. Aug 10, 2013
    Mad Men is a severely overrated drama containing hardly any drama, which is sort of critical to a drama. And with all of the sex, deceit, lies, secrets, infidelity, and shady motives, the lack of drama and intrigue is no less than shocking.
    The performances are monotonous with precisely two exceptions, the characters are monotonous with precisely two exceptions, the writing is monotonous providing only a superficial spectrum of the time period it's set in giving little to no historical insight, the long running story has almost no continuity as the actions and behaviors and the people these characters interact with hardly ever carry on or tie in later in the show, and there's never any kind of a perspective or a point given. Mad Men just kind of floats along with no objective, no motive, and no story, which is fine in some cases, like Pulp Fiction, but it at least Pulp Fiction is actually entertaining, and its characters have strong and likable personalities. Mad Men has no redemptive qualities other than its aesthetics. Yes, it looks and feels exactly like the 60s, but you can get about as much out of Mad Men as you can from google searching advertising campaigns from the 60s.
  4. Sep 5, 2011
    Let me preface with this statement: I wanted to like Madmen. I really really wanted to like it. I have been in a horrible lull in television. All of my staples are off air for a while and NetFlix has been making me question its loyalty to distracting me from being stuck in rural hell. I started Madmen because I religiously check Metacritic for show ideas and it just kept coming up on greatLet me preface with this statement: I wanted to like Madmen. I really really wanted to like it. I have been in a horrible lull in television. All of my staples are off air for a while and NetFlix has been making me question its loyalty to distracting me from being stuck in rural hell. I started Madmen because I religiously check Metacritic for show ideas and it just kept coming up on great shows lists.

Let's begin with what I do like. I constantly mental note the fashion. Jane is a bad ass **** Jon Hamm's acting skills aren't horrendous... thinking... thinking... grasping... I've got nothing. I can honestly think of nothing more. I couldn't even finish the available episodes because I simply can't give a **** about a single character or story line. Please allow me to go further.

I suppose Madmen writers and creators will say that the show is a bit of a satire. But it's satire like blackface is satire. It is... but you're a dick if you do it because you're not hitting your point. Shows in the 1950's/60's like Leave it to Beaver and I Love Lucy, flooded the airwaves with subservient domestic wives. The effects of this plus the push from lady's magazines caused an era of repressed, sad women that felt that their red lipstick and roasts were the only glue that kept their families together. Madmen does poke a little at this past sociological dark period, but at times I feel the glorification and glamorization of Mrs. Draper leans a little towards the promotion of the doormat wife. Madmen further punches women in the proverbial snatch by making Jon Hamm's incessant affairs so god damn acceptable all the while Mrs. Draper's perfectly reasonable reactions to her husband's affairs are portrayed in a way that make her seem difficult and nosy.

Yes, Madmen is a period piece. Yes, the period was one of psychological and sociological repression of women, but where the show takes a wrong turn is in a further promotion of the misogynistic attitudes that should not be apparent in the 21st century. Why does the show make Mrs. Draper so **** when she kicks her cheating husband out of the house? Why is Mr. Draper shown to be such a classy, evolved man, when his behavior is modeled after Hank Moody of Californication (or the real David Duchovny for that matter.)

I feel that in order for Madmen to pull the audience into the 1960's, they have lost integrity in their characters and their story. They have taken the fictional Leave it to Beaver Cleaver family as the reality for the 50's/60's family. When truly, by this time in American history nearly 40% of women and mothers were already in the workforce, most families were lower middle class, and many families adhered deeply to their cultural/ethnic heritage. Sociologist and TV aficionado Stephanie Coontz writes, "Contrary to popular opinion, Leave it to Beaver was not a documentary." Madmen missed that message.

to read more of my reviews go to: televisionhypnotism.blogspot.com
  5. Dec 13, 2010
    overrated. just started watching the show. the first season was average. i should stop here. but since its "the best show on tv" i'm guessing it gets better in the second season.
  6. Oct 8, 2010
    Mad Men is poorly written, it spews continually lackluster dialogue, and it struggles with one boring plot line after another. The show boasts quite the cast, but this only underscores how poorly the writers have done in utilizing the talent at their disposal. When it first came out I was intrigued, and subsequently watched several episodes, but it didn't take long to come to theMad Men is poorly written, it spews continually lackluster dialogue, and it struggles with one boring plot line after another. The show boasts quite the cast, but this only underscores how poorly the writers have done in utilizing the talent at their disposal. When it first came out I was intrigued, and subsequently watched several episodes, but it didn't take long to come to the realization that there is simply no "there" there. Short of the somewhat unique premise of the series, there is absolutely nothing about this show that warrants the attention it is getting. Are people really so shallow that they fall for this sophomoric, gimmicky drivel? When I heard that it was actually winning awards I couldn't even believe by ears. Mad Men is every bit as trite and pathetic as our modern movies and music. Style over substance, nothing more. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    May 29, 2013
    Interestingly, a lot of nothing adds up to a big something.
  2. It's very filmic both in execution and ambition as it explores life before Betty Friedan and the Surgeon General's warnings on cigarette packs.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    What gives Mad Men its zing is that play is part of work, sexual banter isn't yet harassment, and America is free of self-doubt, guilt, and countercultural confusion.