Major Crimes : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Aug 13, 2012
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
7.3

1. Aug 16, 2012
    Major Crimes is a great crime-solving series. I watched the first episode and it was interesting, intriguing and quite smart. The acting --especially McDonnell-- is superb. She's incredibly versatile and her character will grab your attention immediately. If you watched The Closer, this will feel familiar, but also renewed with new interesting things to explore. I'm definitely watching theMajor Crimes is a great crime-solving series. I watched the first episode and it was interesting, intriguing and quite smart. The acting --especially McDonnell-- is superb. She's incredibly versatile and her character will grab your attention immediately. If you watched The Closer, this will feel familiar, but also renewed with new interesting things to explore. I'm definitely watching the whole thing. Expand
  2. Aug 16, 2012
    This show takes what The Closer had going to new heights, Mary McDonnell is incredible and brings new perspective to what was becoming a monotonous tv series, can't wait for
  3. Aug 31, 2012
    Major Crimes basically picks up where The Closer left off. The cast seems to be trying extra hard to cover the hole left by the amazing Kyra Sedgwick. Maybe too hard. In one episode Mary McDonnell dramatically screams at a Lab Technician "don't put me on hold I am the police." The most interesting character might be the awkward yet strangely talented detective Amy Sykes played byMajor Crimes basically picks up where The Closer left off. The cast seems to be trying extra hard to cover the hole left by the amazing Kyra Sedgwick. Maybe too hard. In one episode Mary McDonnell dramatically screams at a Lab Technician "don't put me on hold I am the police." The most interesting character might be the awkward yet strangely talented detective Amy Sykes played by Kearran Giovanni. The writing on the show is still top notch. The cast may want to dial it back a notch. Expand
  4. Dec 28, 2014
    I watched The Closer sporadically because I felt like it was the same thing over and over again. I didn't feel like there was much insight into the cast as a team but more centered on Brenda and her alone (maybe that was the intent)... but I liked the cast so I watched when I could. I thought bringing in Captain Raydor really elevated the show and wished she was around more. Now withI watched The Closer sporadically because I felt like it was the same thing over and over again. I didn't feel like there was much insight into the cast as a team but more centered on Brenda and her alone (maybe that was the intent)... but I liked the cast so I watched when I could. I thought bringing in Captain Raydor really elevated the show and wished she was around more. Now with Major Crimes, I never miss an episode. The cast seems to shine and it doesn't focus solely on one central character but everyone as a team (and there always seems to be a time when one cast member shines and the others are the support). I like that we are seeing real people do their jobs and balance life issues. It feels like the real world. Expand
  5. Oct 18, 2012
    As this review is written, this series has shown four episodes. In some respects, this first season is a rehash of its progenitor, "The Closer." We have familiarity with most of the cast, including the new protagonist, Capt. Sharon Raydor, portrayed by Mary McDonnell, who has been a recurring character for the past three seasons. The creators' job is to somewhat rehabilitate this characterAs this review is written, this series has shown four episodes. In some respects, this first season is a rehash of its progenitor, "The Closer." We have familiarity with most of the cast, including the new protagonist, Capt. Sharon Raydor, portrayed by Mary McDonnell, who has been a recurring character for the past three seasons. The creators' job is to somewhat rehabilitate this character and make her more likable. The device they use is the "adoption" of a street kid who is a material witness in a serial murder. They also have her slowly winning over the squad who was intensely loyal to former chief, Brenda Leigh Johnson, who is no longer seen. The transition has been slow and plodding. The cases pursued by the squad have been less than potent compared to the prior series.

However, it's early yet. There are six more episodes to this season to be played out over the fall, and presumably, around the holidays. Will "Major Crimes" attain the popularity of its predecessor? The jury is still out.

UPDATE:

The first season has now concluded and the good news is that the series has gotten much better. The emphasis on making deals in order to close cases has been de-emphasized and the cases have more of the twist and turns that "The Closer" had in its cases.

The device of incorporating the street kid, Rusty Beck, into Sharon Raydor's life has been effective. It shows us another side of a character who, until exposed, has been an anathema to fans of "The Closer." In fact, by season's end, young Mr. Beck has been "adopted" not just by many of the fans and Capt. Raydor, but by the Major Crimes squad itself.

The other new character introduced, Det. Amy Skyes, was also distasteful in introductory episodes. However, by season's end, she also gained her footing and became an integral part of the squad.

There are still problems. It's incongruous when the FBI's Fritz Howard is around that no mention of Chief Johnson is made. Johnson, Gabriel and Pope are unseen and, with the exception of Pope, seldom mentioned.

However, the play's the thing and the quality of the stories have been much more compelling. The characters are even more "familiar" with one another with a simple device of addressing one another by first names.

All in all, "Major Crimes" has developed into a solid series. I'm looking forward to next summer's 13 episodes.
  6. Sep 26, 2012
    Extremely well done. This is "The Closer" part two, with the same high quality acting, writing and directing. Mary McDonnell does not have Kyra's personality, quirkiness or appeal, but she still pulls off her sterner, stiffer approach to crime solving. The segue from "closing" to "conviction without trials", was a major coup for the writers.
  7. JHG
    Oct 14, 2012
    Great show better than the closer after 5 year run. It was time for Brenda to go. Too predictable and Mary McDonald is an excellent replacement. I was a loyal fan of the closer but Branda's character just became to predicatable and irritating. All the lying and excuses every show to her family just became boring instead of cute and funny
  8. Oct 15, 2012
    Major Crimes is a well written show. We look forward to watching it every week. Thought we would miss the Closer but this show is so good we have not. Look forward to next summer when it returns.
  9. Jul 26, 2013
    Well written, familiar characters (from the closer) makes this a much watch. The same writers must be working on this show. While this is not my favorite show, it is in the top 5. I grew to love the characters on the closer so I am glad they got a second life on this show.
  10. Aug 6, 2013
    Really love this show I was terribly sad to lose the "Closer" but "Major Crimes" had pleasantly filled the gap. Sharon Raydor took a while to grow on me, but over time she has shown more compassion and a "human" side. The cast is amazing together, just as they were on the the Closer. The only thing that could make it better is to bring back Brenda Lee Johnson, Fritzy and Will Pope!

1. Reviewed by: Gail Pennington
    Aug 27, 2012
    If you were a "Closer" fan, I'd like to make a case for giving her a chance, because otherwise, Major Crimes is a winner.
  2. Reviewed by: Matthew Gilbert
    Aug 13, 2012
    Will the writing of the crimes continue to be as strong as it was on "The Closer"? I'm cautiously optimistic.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Aug 13, 2012
    The first two cases, involving a gang of murderous thieves and the death of a personal trainer, are ho-hum. McDonnell, a fine actress, finally has a chance to inject some dry wit into her stoic investigator.