• Network: TNT
  • Series Premiere Date: Aug 13, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3
7.2

1. Feb 6, 2014
    Could be a great show,but for Mary McDonnell.I find she is so wooden,and shows no facial expressions. She always seems to be reading off a cue card,and badly.
  2. Sep 3, 2012
    Major Crimes, following up The Closer, tries to inherit the cult of fans from its predecessor by keeping its entire cast (except for the main, of course). I tried to go into this show with an open mind and not as much as a sequel. Mary McDonnell, a great actress, gets stuck with the most boring character possible. She isn't allowed to show any type of emotion at any times and she acts professional 24/7. Most annoying of all, she inserts herself into situations too much. Obviously as the lead character & as Captain of the LAPD's Major Crimes, she's bound to be around a lot to make sure the suspects are locked up and convicted. However, Captain Sharon Raydor is a nuisance and constant bother where she should just let the investigation hold itself. The main characters also have no chemistry or charisma on this TNT installment whatsoever, even less than their final season on "The Closer" where they were closer than ever. Not to mention that adding two more detective is not only excessive, but confusing to the fanbase. Major Crimes forces its viewers to focus on and only on Captain Raydor, who is constantly disrespectful and ignorant to any suggestions or insertions by her Detective Lieutenants. The biggest distraction in the room is the unnecessary addition of Raydor's adoptive son, Rusty Beck. In an backdoor attempt to meet the burden of getting into Raydor's personal life in comparison to Brenda Leigh Johnson's, the showrunners add Beck to show the compassion and care Raydor can have (which fails terribly). All of this is added onto a basic, if not terrible, kindergarten-like Crime Drama script. Even with McDonnell's unfortunately getting stuck with a mediocre character, the rest of the cast is colorful, well played and intelligent.
    Unfortunately, "Major Crimes" is nothing as advertised, and has yet to prove how it is starting "a new chapter" in LAPD's Major Crimes Unit. If you look at it with enough of an open mind and without focusing on Raydor too much, It's worth watching if there's nothing better on. Just don't DARE compare it to "The Closer"
  3. Sep 3, 2012
    Slow and boring. The old characters have been diluted and the new lead is weak. The Rusty story is improbable and irrelevant. Very little to hold my attention. I watched my last episode tonight.
  4. Aug 14, 2012
    The intensity of Brenda's character coupled with the fast pace of the plot made The Closer highly successful. And since the debut of Major Crimes was intentionally billed as a hand-off, it failed. It promised something but did not deliver and the failure is due to the slow-paced, deliberate style of Major Raydor whose personality suits a support character--and fails as the pivotal lead. Provenza's character is groping for some strength, but it's not clear he will deliver. And if the excitement is around plea bargaining--which is what is suggested--then this series will focus on arrogant lawyers glaring across a table and not the kick-ass smarts of a great detective. It's a recipe for boring. Expand
  5. Aug 14, 2012
    Major Crimes was a major disappointment for me. By retaining almost the entire cast of The Closer the show invites a comparison in which, in my opinion, it comes off as a pale imitation of the original. While Mary McDonnell is a fine actress her character is not likable and the manner in which she is installed as the head of Major Crimes made that situation even worse for me.

That same
    situation and the events that it causes also made me dislike Assistant Chief Taylor even more that I did in the first few seasons of The Closer. The same was true of Chief Pope even though he did not appear on screen. While their actions can be attributed to political realities that fact does not make any of them more sympathetic to the audience.

Added to this is the addition of another cast member whose character is also made to be rather unlikable by the manner in which she gets her promotion to the squad.

For me all that Major Crimes accomplished was to make me miss The Closer. I will watch the second episode to give it a chance to change my mind but if it is more of the same I won't be watching the third. I do not enjoy watching shows when this many cast members are not likable.

1. Reviewed by: Gail Pennington
    Aug 27, 2012
    If you were a "Closer" fan, I'd like to make a case for giving her a chance, because otherwise, Major Crimes is a winner.
  2. Reviewed by: Matthew Gilbert
    Aug 13, 2012
    Will the writing of the crimes continue to be as strong as it was on "The Closer"? I'm cautiously optimistic.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Aug 13, 2012
    The first two cases, involving a gang of murderous thieves and the death of a personal trainer, are ho-hum. McDonnell, a fine actress, finally has a chance to inject some dry wit into her stoic investigator.