• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 24, 2013
Season #: 1, 2
6.5

1. Mar 29, 2014
    The cast may be ever so slightly inadequate and the plotting seems confused (like it can't decide what it is) and melodramatic. Yet, it's complaisant viewing and it has an undeniably sweet feel about it, as it really is just convivial fun perfect for a family viewing, since it has eye candy, inconsequential violence, stomach-clenching action and a witty script.
  2. Oct 2, 2013
    It's really, really stupid. The cheese factor is unbearably high, the acting is bad, the dialogue is bad, the visuals are overdone. The jokes aren't funny, and the plot is boring. There's nothing at all about the first episode which makes me want to watch the second..
  3. Oct 1, 2013
    Expected so much more. That's all I can say. The worst humor out of every Marvel production ever.
    Needless to say, I will continue to watch. This isn't the worst show on the air, but I would not be surprised if this show got canceled after the first season. The characters are flat, the story line is dull. And frankly, incredibly cheesy.
  4. Sep 25, 2013
    I have to say i expected more i have nothing to say...everything about the pilot is average and 5 is an average no stand out acting directing or anything average with a great universe and they did this.
  5. May 17, 2014
    Agents of SHIELD has an interesting Pilot, then a lot of disappointing episodes, and then once the Hydra reveal happened after Captain America 2 came out the show started to pick back up, and the season ended on a high note. I think this show can absolutely go in interesting directions in Season 2.
  6. Nov 17, 2013
    I didn't even believe it at first that this was actually going to be on the TV. It just seemed too big for a TV show to cover. The superheroes, the superpowers, the complex universe, and to keep them all in continuum.

After seeing the pilot, I was a little bit uneasy because the series seemed to have a potential to be good but at the same time, the pilot just didn't really impress me as much as I had hoped it would. It was definitely a weak pilot. But I still gave more episodes a shot. And I guess now I have to come to a conclusion that the show is just not working. At least not for me. And if I had to say the one thing that ruins the show, it's the procedural style it's being made in. I have NCIS and The Blacklist for that.
  7. Sep 25, 2013
    wow is all I can say. That's not cause of the tv show. Im a huge avengers fan and a Joss whedon fan by miles. Yet the episode 1 of shield is pretty awful. I'm sure it'll get better but some of the lead chars are to happy with themselves, and there's to many cheesy 1 liners. I see a lot of people giving this show high scores but seriously and you all know this to be true but some ofwow is all I can say. That's not cause of the tv show. Im a huge avengers fan and a Joss whedon fan by miles. Yet the episode 1 of shield is pretty awful. I'm sure it'll get better but some of the lead chars are to happy with themselves, and there's to many cheesy 1 liners. I see a lot of people giving this show high scores but seriously and you all know this to be true but some of you are just not being honest. I give it a 4 based on the over the top acting and to much time spent on trying to make it comical, defiantly doesn't feel like a joss production, but if it is then np im sure hell sort it, and help develop it into a good series after all its only episode 1. and he gave us avengers and fire fly and buffy ect Soz joss had to give the show a 4 and I really didn't want too. Expand
  8. Oct 2, 2013
    I have very mixed feelings about this show. Some things I really liked and some things I didn't. For instance the scripts are full of funny little moments, the same kind of moments that made The Avengers so enjoyable. However Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. overuses these kind of jokes to the point that it gets really annoying. I did however like the pacing of the show. It felt like a big scaleI have very mixed feelings about this show. Some things I really liked and some things I didn't. For instance the scripts are full of funny little moments, the same kind of moments that made The Avengers so enjoyable. However Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. overuses these kind of jokes to the point that it gets really annoying. I did however like the pacing of the show. It felt like a big scale action movie, with a constantly changing location and elaborate set pieces. Which brings to another positive aspect of the show; visual effects. The visual effects in this show blew my mind. From the cgi Plane to the HUD to J. August Richards face glowing everything looked like it could have been in a major summer blockbuster. So despite all the flaws in character and dialogue the show makes up for it with great action and special effects. Hopefully the show gets better with time but even if it doesn't it is still a solid show that is worth watching. Expand
  9. Oct 3, 2013
    I've gotten as far as the second episode. Overall, the characters themselves are very lackluster and not very creative. For the most part, none of the characters are particularly engaging like Torchwood's (first and second season). The involvement in the Avenger's universe is pretty cool as there are nods here and there. But big explosions and CGI can only carry this show so far.
  10. Oct 12, 2013
    At the time of writing this review I've only seen three episodes of ABC's new series. I will be sticking with it for a little longer and am willing to change my mind if things improve but what I have seen so far has left me underwhelmed. Its not terrible by any means but being a fan of the Marvel movies, and an even bigger fan of Josh Whedon, I was simply expecting more.

For me the

For me the biggest issue is that it is clearly aiming to please as big an audience as possible. Considering the huge cost of making the show (which is clear in the movie quality special effects) that is somewhat understandable but as with all these 'family friendly' dramas it simply lacks the punch and complexity of the very best drama series. Aside from Agent Coulson the characters aren't particularly interesting either. Many of them fall into broad stereotypes, something which is surprising when you consider some of the great characters Josh Whedon has created over the years.

Anyone that has watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer will know that even that great show took time to find it's feet so there is hope for the Agents of Shield yet but as of now I'm unconvinced.
  11. Oct 8, 2013
    2 episodes in and I'm still waiting for it to get going. Wanted this to be so much more. Lacking the drama and fun of Avengers tie in movies. Could be good, but so far 'meh'
  12. Oct 9, 2013
    There is a lot riding on Marvel's Agents of Shield. First of all, it takes place in the same world as one of the best movies the world has ever seen, The Avengers. Second, it's written by TV hero Joss Whedon. So the expectations for this show are high. From the first 3 episodes, it has not delivered, at all, on these expectations. But there is good news; Due to an overwhelming pre-fanThere is a lot riding on Marvel's Agents of Shield. First of all, it takes place in the same world as one of the best movies the world has ever seen, The Avengers. Second, it's written by TV hero Joss Whedon. So the expectations for this show are high. From the first 3 episodes, it has not delivered, at all, on these expectations. But there is good news; Due to an overwhelming pre-fan base, and a very open premise with tons of lore to draw upon, this show will almost undoubtedly be renewed and it has lots of time to improve. So far over the course of 3 episodes, it has improved already by 150%. The pilot was one of the campiest, cheesiest, corniest, worst things I've ever seen, while still being about a subject I love so that's pretty hard to do. It was almost unbearable, as if watching a Parody of itself. The characters were cookie-cutter, the acting was horrid, the dialogue was reminiscent of amateur night at a comedy club and the tech and gadgets were meh. BUT, episode 2 improved all that by about 45%, and episode 3 by another 65% so stick with it, if you can, and before long, it should be a decent show. You want to like it. I want to like it, so lets give it a little time to fix itself before we come down too hard. Expand
  13. Oct 15, 2013
    I had high hopes, but no, this is garbage. And annoying garbage at that. Outside of Coulson and um, sometimes that May woman, the characters on this show are horribly written and acted. And they are not half as interesting, cool, or quick-witted as they think they are. If they wanted to save this show, which I predict will last this season and plummet the next, in my opinion they needI had high hopes, but no, this is garbage. And annoying garbage at that. Outside of Coulson and um, sometimes that May woman, the characters on this show are horribly written and acted. And they are not half as interesting, cool, or quick-witted as they think they are. If they wanted to save this show, which I predict will last this season and plummet the next, in my opinion they need to kill off the team except Coulson, and reboot with characters that have more life than a corpse and are not as egotistical as a teenager. Seriously though, why if this was such a top secret project, did they recruit a bunch of 14 year olds who look as if they're in the middle of a growth spurt? And they act like 14 year olds too! Honestly, I keep waiting for the episode where they study for their SATs. Ugh, my head hurts thinking how disappointing this whole thing is, can't watch anymore. Also, scale the writing back, not everything needs to be a pun, or quippy, I feel like I'm watching an episode of Sex and the City. Expand
  14. Sep 25, 2013
    I have to say i expected more i have nothing to say...everything about the pilot is average, i really expect the show get better with time, i like the mistery of Agent Coulson, where he was?, what happened to him?
  15. Oct 13, 2013
    Aside from having the Marvel name attached to it, There is nothing special about this show. The acting is average, The plot is very generic, and it fails to keep you entertained or interested. Would not recommend.
  16. Oct 14, 2013
    Stereotypical characters (stoic squared-jawed hero, geeky english tech people, improbably hot hacker babe with a past, etc), predcitable plots, cheesy dialogue. A handful of high-school kids flying around in their special plane. Loads of tech and resources available to them but every mission ends up with the same few people having to do all the work (even the boss gets roped in). Loads ofStereotypical characters (stoic squared-jawed hero, geeky english tech people, improbably hot hacker babe with a past, etc), predcitable plots, cheesy dialogue. A handful of high-school kids flying around in their special plane. Loads of tech and resources available to them but every mission ends up with the same few people having to do all the work (even the boss gets roped in). Loads of references to events that took place in the Avengers assemble film, and every time it gets talked about by the characters you'd rather just be watching the film again.

No super-heroes anywhere.
  17. Dec 10, 2013
    The pilot was exciting, fun, and really got me interested. I'm a fan of Marvel comics, Marvel movies, and good TV. Unfortunately after the pilot this stopped being good TV. There are moments of goodness, but they are very few and far between. Meanwhile the actors seem hand-selected purely on looks (I like the scientists the soldiers are about as boring as they come). There areThe pilot was exciting, fun, and really got me interested. I'm a fan of Marvel comics, Marvel movies, and good TV. Unfortunately after the pilot this stopped being good TV. There are moments of goodness, but they are very few and far between. Meanwhile the actors seem hand-selected purely on looks (I like the scientists the soldiers are about as boring as they come). There are allusions to superheroics going on elsewhere, but the audience is never really let in on it they are merely tie-ins to movies. Which leaves a sub-par spy show with average-at-best special effects and action sequences, barely passable dialogue, and mediocre acting. There's very little investment in character, and although the show never strives to take itself seriously, its balancing act between comedy and action is a bit tenuous. I actually stopped watching after the fifth show, which is saying a lot given my Marvel/superhero fanboy status. This show isn't terrible, but it's not very good, and given how much it must cost to produce, I don't see it lasting beyond a season, two tops. Expand
  18. Sep 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really hope that the pilot episode is not a sign of things to come. I found it relied too heavily on links to the Marvel Phase One group of movies via references and even plot elements like Extremis (personally I did not want to be so blatantly reminded of Iron Man 3). I did not like the computer hacker character Skye very much, as she seems to be a Mary Sue, although that could be remedied with character development and better writing down the road, so I'm not going to write her off just yet. The character played by J. August Richards, an out-of-work factory worker and single father, unfairly fired by his greedy, evil employers could not have had a more trite background if they'd tried to give him one; he ends up being an angry black man (never a good cliche) who signs up to be a guinea pig for medical experiments being conducted by some shadowy organization (probably A.I.M. or maybe Hydra), whose anger threatens to cause him to explode... literally. There's definitely room for improvement, and I hope this show does. It has the potential to remind fans of the better Marvel superhero movies rather than the middling ones (like Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor). Expand
  19. Oct 7, 2013
    After watch the first episode I'm split opinion.
    Visually and technically, you can not complain but the actors are poorly chosen.
    They show a good performance but you will not have access to the people. They all lead to superficial and are treated just uninteresting. the figure a Walter White from "Breaking Bad" or Clark Kent from "Smallville" were much better reception.
  20. Nov 28, 2013
    The series has a great potential which has been not unveiled yet.
    I think the story and the dialogs should be more lively and less theatrical.
    Also the action and the storyline should be more intense and complex.
    Seems like I am watching a teen series. Please Mr Whedon, make the series more like Firefly and less like Buffy!
  21. Dec 22, 2013
    Add in mentions of Marvel's beloved world into your typical weekly TV show, and you have a gist of what this series is like. While not exactly cerebral or witty, it's alright for your background entertainment you don't really need to pay attention to know what happened/will happen. I just feel a bit disappointed that what could have potentially been a very interesting perspective of thisAdd in mentions of Marvel's beloved world into your typical weekly TV show, and you have a gist of what this series is like. While not exactly cerebral or witty, it's alright for your background entertainment you don't really need to pay attention to know what happened/will happen. I just feel a bit disappointed that what could have potentially been a very interesting perspective of this universe has turned into yet another flat storyline I'm someone in between the general categories of fanboy and casual viewer, but sentiment garnered from this franchise's predecessing flicks can only stretch so far, and the more I watch, the thinner the veneer of interest in this particular addendum to the franchise. Expand
  22. Nov 20, 2013
    The GOOD: a very likable cast. The BAD: the writing is very lame.

The GOOD: a very likable cast. The BAD: the writing is very lame.

Imagine taking an ensemble drama loaded with quirky characters, in the style of, say, STAR TREK: TNG or NCIS, and then remove all interesting elements. Then make each episode have the exact same storyline as all the others. Do all this and you'll have "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.". But there is one thing to greatly appreciate: Clark Gregg and his fellow actors are making the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents feel like family, a quality reminiscent of Marvel's classic comics from the 1960's thru '80's, where the Fantastic Four is a nuclear family, the X-Men an extended family, and the Avengers that exclusive clique you always wanted to join in high school (not to mention Peter Parker, the amazing Spider-Man, who's either your best pal or soul mate). But, in the comic books, characters were always interacting with the real world, with substantial human drama occurring in the background. Our S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, perhaps by the nature of their jobs, are too isolated. There's no reason why TV viewers would relate to these characters or even find them sympathetic. Even S.H.I.E.L.D 's mission doesn't seem clear. Why should I care what the agents do? Worse, the scripts have no originality. I expected writing inspired by the best travel blogs, science fiction and social observations. I wanted a blend of genres, and a wit with good eyes for style and detail. But the cinematography greatly disappoints. It's all action, punching and fighting. I never feel transported to any new and magical world. And there is never any sense of rediscovery. "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." ultimately seems a marketing ploy meant to sell movies and toys, with not much thought put into the crafting of an art.

(But don't claim this is a show written with children in mind. There are boudoir-type elements that should have any parent reaching for the OFF switch!)

Eight episodes in and I'm bored. S.H.I.E.L.D. is now removed from my DVR list. Since I haven't seen any of the big Marvel blockbuster movies during the past 20 years, perhaps my judgment shouldn't influence others. I'm hoping some people will remain faithful to this show and become greatly rewarded for their patience. But I'm certain Marvel fans deserve far better (as do Gregg and company). Hire some talented writers, camera people and set designers!
  23. Apr 20, 2014
    Pure mediocrity. It doesn't have the cleverness that it would if Joss Whedon were involved in it rather than just overseeing it. Coulson continues to be what one would expect from the movie, but the light-skinned and somber supporting cast are largely a set of wasted opportunities, save for breakout star Chloe Benet. She has a sort of Starbuck quality (for Battlestar Galactica fans) wherePure mediocrity. It doesn't have the cleverness that it would if Joss Whedon were involved in it rather than just overseeing it. Coulson continues to be what one would expect from the movie, but the light-skinned and somber supporting cast are largely a set of wasted opportunities, save for breakout star Chloe Benet. She has a sort of Starbuck quality (for Battlestar Galactica fans) where her character is unlikable, yet relatable and demanding of attention. She also has approximately the ideal female body, which sure helps the show's boring moments go over.

It's inherent to the show that they can't use the really big stars from the numerous Marvel movies, but the plots they've come up with thusfar aren't entertaining. SHIELD is a boring organization that seems obsessed with shooting itself in the foot, while the bad guys are occasionally more interesting but aren't really bad enough. Coulson's dubious resurrection storyline doesn't generate much intrigue. The frequent technology gags often fall flat.

The production values just can't compete with feature films. The high point is the music by Bear McCreary, with an endearing theme and better big orchestral cues than many of the features.

I keep watching it thinking it'll go somewhere, but that seems less and less likely. The show did take a new direction with the release of the Captain America movie, having added a new layer of intrigue and deception, but the problem is that all the stuff above is still true. The characters still aren't that interesting and the show hasn't come together as a whole. Not moving the rating.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gregg has a deadpan ease that makes the engine purr. And his team is good-looking and stamped with just enough personality and humor: Without killing the fun, they ground the show. [14 Oct 2013, p.43]
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Greenfield
    Oct 3, 2013
    The show has a sound concept.... But the script, by Joss, Jed and Tancharoen, with Joss directing, is a mite too pleased with itself.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Sep 26, 2013
    There’s actually not a single weak link in the cast. The weakness of the premiere comes down to plotting. There’s a slightly melodramatic arc involving a commentary on the current economic state of the country.