• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 24, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
6.3

1. Sep 28, 2013
    Watching T Avengers and then watching this is like one day eating lobster and then the next day eating a 99p microwaveable fish pie. Completely let down by its Hammy dialogue and un-engaging characters. Hard to believe this was made by Joss Whedon. What a disappointment.
  2. Sep 26, 2013
    I had high hopes for this show, but I was honestly let down. It is truly and ABC not a Marvel production, at least that's how it feels. This first episode was very lackluster, and so cheesy I almost expected everyone to break out into song. The filmography felt very dated, and the script more contrived then what I've come to expect from the experienced J.W. It played out like an earlyI had high hopes for this show, but I was honestly let down. It is truly and ABC not a Marvel production, at least that's how it feels. This first episode was very lackluster, and so cheesy I almost expected everyone to break out into song. The filmography felt very dated, and the script more contrived then what I've come to expect from the experienced J.W. It played out like an early episode of Buffy. I was honestly hoping for something more attuned to recent Marvel/Hollywood aesthetics but what I got was a cheesy hodgepodge of forcing a stereotypical bunch of c level actors into a contrived setting. The flying car at the end is what really made me roll my eyes. This show isn't even grounded in the same universe that Marvel is(which is pretty fantastical.) My suspense of disbelief withered within the first two minutes, much like the most recent efforts of shows like "the cape" and "hero's" I don't see this show lasting very many seasons. My advice, cut your loses now. Most people positively reviewing this show are fan-boys with high-hopes. Joss isn't untouchable, and fortunately for this show it's to high budget to continue past one season. End this charade before it ruins the franchise that Marvel/Disney have bet their marbles on. Expand
  3. Oct 3, 2013
    The writing reminds me of a disney show. Every is bickering like teenagers. The show is just silly and all the characters are unoriginal. It's not a good show.
  4. Sep 30, 2013
    I'm sorry... the critics have been WAY too kind with this show. The plot/script was convoluted and
    just uninteresting to be perfectly honest. I was greatly disappointed!! If you're going to get involved in any show that where the the characters have super-powers... just watch HEROES.
  5. Sep 24, 2013
    Great pilot, delicious teasers, more than a few nods to the Marvel movie history. There is just enough CGI to be interesting and the ratio of reality and fantasy is perfect to keep you immersed and enamored.

And the casting, of course, is just perfect.
  6. Oct 9, 2013
    I really wanted to like this show, but it reminds me of Terra Nova. A lot of promise, but never delivers and instead has a cheesy plot line, poor CGI, bad acting and limited presence of what people thought they would see. In the case of Terra Nova, people wanted to see dinosaurs. In AOS, people are expecting to see B-line superheroes and villians....instead we get a mis-matched group of nobodies.
  7. Sep 27, 2013
    Pilot episode was boring and predictable.Cheap casting and meaningless dialog and want be last than first season because surely rating gonging to be down an ABC network has notorious history of canceling shows,
  8. Sep 28, 2013
    Ill keep this short and sweet...bad acting, ridiculously bad dialogue, other than skye, no likeable characters, and a boring and predictable story line. If you want a great superhero show watch "Arrow" miles above and beyond this drivel. Lets hope its cancelled soon to make room for a good show
  9. Oct 1, 2013
    Expected so much more. That's all I can say. The worst humor out of every Marvel production ever.
    Needless to say, I will continue to watch. This isn't the worst show on the air, but I would not be surprised if this show got canceled after the first season. The characters are flat, the story line is dull. And frankly, incredibly cheesy.
  10. Oct 2, 2013
    It's really, really stupid. The cheese factor is unbearably high, the acting is bad, the dialogue is bad, the visuals are overdone. The jokes aren't funny, and the plot is boring. There's nothing at all about the first episode which makes me want to watch the second..
  11. Sep 25, 2013
    I have to say i expected more i have nothing to say...everything about the pilot is average and 5 is an average no stand out acting directing or anything average with a great universe and they did this.
  12. Sep 29, 2013
    I am not sure if people are joking when they say Marvel's Agents of SHIED is anything but terrible. Everything that could have gone with the show did with bad acting, bad dialog and horrific jokes. It is like they took what was good about the avengers and made it really really s**t. Even Clark Gregg sucks dick in this which i thought would be the only redeeming factor but no. The show as aI am not sure if people are joking when they say Marvel's Agents of SHIED is anything but terrible. Everything that could have gone with the show did with bad acting, bad dialog and horrific jokes. It is like they took what was good about the avengers and made it really really s**t. Even Clark Gregg sucks dick in this which i thought would be the only redeeming factor but no. The show as a whole is just plain bad with nothing that is even remotely good or even exceptionable from the people involved. The amount of money just wasted on this is embarrassing and you who think they would get a half decent script together or one good actor in the mix but no they just spent it all on large set pieces and special effects which suck anyway. Cheesier then High School Musical and not even as funny as You Me and Dupree, this is a monumental failure for everyone involved. DO NOT WATCH! Expand
  13. Sep 25, 2013
    wow is all I can say. That's not cause of the tv show. Im a huge avengers fan and a Joss whedon fan by miles. Yet the episode 1 of shield is pretty awful. I'm sure it'll get better but some of the lead chars are to happy with themselves, and there's to many cheesy 1 liners. I see a lot of people giving this show high scores but seriously and you all know this to be true but some ofwow is all I can say. That's not cause of the tv show. Im a huge avengers fan and a Joss whedon fan by miles. Yet the episode 1 of shield is pretty awful. I'm sure it'll get better but some of the lead chars are to happy with themselves, and there's to many cheesy 1 liners. I see a lot of people giving this show high scores but seriously and you all know this to be true but some of you are just not being honest. I give it a 4 based on the over the top acting and to much time spent on trying to make it comical, defiantly doesn't feel like a joss production, but if it is then np im sure hell sort it, and help develop it into a good series after all its only episode 1. and he gave us avengers and fire fly and buffy ect Soz joss had to give the show a 4 and I really didn't want too. Expand
  14. Oct 1, 2013
    I managed to catch the first and second episode and I can tell you right now. If the show keeps heading in this direction it will be canceled like Zero Hour.

Where do I begin. The show runs like a terrible B movie. The CGI is used in almost every scene and looks very unrealistic. The acting is very poor (Clark Gregg, I'm looking at you..) The explosions and fake firefights are over the top. And the worst is the corny jokes throughout the dialogue.

I wanted to like this show. I'm a fan of Marvel and basically all superhero fantasy and sci-fi. But this show is just too cheesey. It seems like a parody of a real TV show.
  15. Oct 3, 2013
    ...as comic book fans we expect a lot more!! Especially related to the Marvel Super Hero's!!! ABC don't Lois and Clark this show or I am done!!! Don't apply the ABC formula of predictable silly romance shows...
  16. Oct 12, 2013
    I honestly can't believe this show is getting "generally favorable" reviews. It is sub-par on every single level. Terrible acting, bland characters, cringe-worthy dialogue, and a plot worthy of some forgettable CSI-type police procedural. This doesn't even measure up to Heroes, let alone the excellent movies Marvel has been putting out. Huge disappointment. Definitely not worth your time.
  17. Sep 24, 2013
    Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is a fun and faithful addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The pilot episode contains loads of Easter eggs that are sure to be appreciated by old-school comics fans and newer MCU fans alike. Joss Whedon is a master lore builder, deftly laying the foundation for another fan favorite. It's genuinely funny, imaginative and well paced. And the cool-factorMarvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is a fun and faithful addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The pilot episode contains loads of Easter eggs that are sure to be appreciated by old-school comics fans and newer MCU fans alike. Joss Whedon is a master lore builder, deftly laying the foundation for another fan favorite. It's genuinely funny, imaginative and well paced. And the cool-factor of having a television show that ties into one of the most successful movie franchises of all time is off the charts. I'll definitely be sticking with this one. Expand
  18. Sep 29, 2013
    Terrible. characters are all so far over the top and unbelievable. the old lady spy does the whole, huge sunglasses with scowl look just about constantly. The hot hacker is super hot, but terribly unbelievable as a hacker...
  19. Oct 9, 2013
    Coulson is OK, but compared to the rest of the characters he is dazzling. The others are dull and many of them overact to an annoying degree, particularly the hacker. It is really off-putting. Furthermore, they seem to use the Warehouse 13 method of Unexplained Devices. That is, they have devices that can put the characters in jeopardy, but they never bother to explain where the devicesCoulson is OK, but compared to the rest of the characters he is dazzling. The others are dull and many of them overact to an annoying degree, particularly the hacker. It is really off-putting. Furthermore, they seem to use the Warehouse 13 method of Unexplained Devices. That is, they have devices that can put the characters in jeopardy, but they never bother to explain where the devices come from or why they are there--not a single spec of back story. OK, I may be wrong about this, as I didn't finish watching the second episode because I was so bored. But if they did use the Unexplained (or barely explained) Devices method, then it is lazy writing that leaves viewers unsatisfied. I hope they don't continue in this vein. Also, how old are most of these characters? Twelve? Let's have some variety in race, age, and looks. Everybody doesn't have to be pretty. I expected more from Whedon. I thought the Avengers film was very good and I never watch that type of film. Expand
  20. Oct 7, 2013
    This series is really silly and should be on a kids channel and not prime time television. I just can't understand the good reviews it received from critics.
  21. Jan 14, 2014
    While my suspension of disbelief still struggles to accommodate secretive government agents as the good guys and likely always will, I do continue to watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and enjoy it. But as the series progresses, the biggest flaw becomes more and more evident. The dialogue is so compressed, straightforward, and shoehorned in that it leaves no room for the viewer's imaginationWhile my suspension of disbelief still struggles to accommodate secretive government agents as the good guys and likely always will, I do continue to watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and enjoy it. But as the series progresses, the biggest flaw becomes more and more evident. The dialogue is so compressed, straightforward, and shoehorned in that it leaves no room for the viewer's imagination and intuition. As a result, scenes sometimes come across as a little insulting and very manipulative. However, the characters are still developing, so perhaps the dialogue will soon have room to slow down and smooth itself out, leaving room for both more of Whedon's trademark wit and for the intelligence of the viewer. Expand
  22. Oct 22, 2013
    I loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly, both brilliant shows about unrecognized heros fighting the good fight against overwhelming odds. Buffy and Mal were great characters I could root for.

I am not a fan of comic books, but I trusted what Whedon would do with the material. I should not have been so trustful. There is no character that can I root for like Buffy and Mal. The "agents" are not overwhelmed, if anything it is safe to assume they will always be able to find something that overpowers whatever enemy they are facing.

The show lost all credibility for me in the second episode, when a lot of drama was built up over the plane landing! Great visuals and powerful music to watch a plane land, really. That is never going to keep me interested in watching.
  23. Sep 24, 2013
    So far, "Marvel's Agents of Shield" is enticing, if a bit lackluster. The flow and pacing of the show feels very similar to "The Avengers", and the plot runs smoothly, but some of the dialogue is unrealistic, and a few characters feel shallow and stock. However, there's enough solid humor and intense action, as well as plot hooks, to keep viewers coming back for more.
  24. Oct 2, 2013
    I watched episode 1--"fine," I thought. "They're doing some introduction and backstory, it'll start swinging later on." But after the laughably bad episode 2, I'm going to have a hard time hanging in there for another one.

SHIELD is utterly conventional and most damningly, lacking in imagination. It's also horribly directed and written--it's like a linear first-person shooter game, where there's no sense of any roads not being taken. See the characters go through their little maze, see the boss fights, whoopee. Saddest of all, Clark Gregg's Agent Colson schtick, so entertaining in little doses on the big screen, turns out to be badly unsuited to carry a 40-minute show.

It's tempting to blame the direction for the bulk of the problems--and make no mistake, the direction is abysmal--but there is no "director." Instead, each episode appears to come with its own director, which while a very hip thing to do, means that there's no one with a vested interest in developing the show at the helm.

It's not like the actors can shoulder the burden of carrying the series, either. Brett Dalton (Grant Ward...or is it the other way around?) is perhaps the worst offender, in deeply over his head in his first major role. His resume (https://yaledrama.digication.com/brettdalton/Resume) doesn't list an age, but it's safe to assume he's around 24, and completely unbelieveable as the jaded special agent. It's not his fault, but he's seriously miscast. But then, so is the rest of the cast, most of whom are also in their (VERY) early Twenties.

Agents of SHIELD is a disaster from beginning to end. Music, sound design, and especially production values are bottom of the barrel. That was acceptable in a goofy, campy Joss Whedon story like "Buffy," but that's not how this has been positioned. It's almost unbelievable that a project this big could be so sloppy, thrown-together feeling and just plain unenjoyable...but then, this is the year that brought us "Under the Dome," so maybe instead of a blast from the darkest network past, this sort of tripe is the future.
  25. Sep 24, 2013
    I thought it was a solid start to a series. The character dialogue and story moved at a super fast pace but I guess it almost has to to be crammed into an hour slot. The guy who played the "hero" did a real good job and was the most interesting character. Looking forward to see how the series develops.
  26. Sep 25, 2013
    I'm so glad to see Joss back on TV! My only concern is common folk don't appreciate his humor. Which was classic Whedon!
    If he can control a pace of twists it could work. But cramming all that stuff in the first episode is gonna make mainstream confused and lack comprehension. Out of all people he should know that wont work for ratings.
    Loved the pilot!!!! Great hour and I fracking
    Loved the pilot!!!!
    Great hour and I fracking thought it was amazing.
    Anything Mr. Whedon does is always a joy to participate in.
  27. Oct 12, 2013
    Bland. I keep waiting for Whedon-esque characters to pop out, but it hasn't happened. Making references to great movies has the same effect as the Bourne Legacy: it reminds you that those movies exist, and makes you wonder why you're bothering to watch what's in front of you. Disappointing.
  28. Oct 23, 2013
    In my opinion this is the best new show on television this year. It packs great plot, action, and characters together in a show that ties in excellently with the established film franchise. I also have to give praise to the excellent special effects and fan-service. Everything looks realistic and the constant references to movies like The Avengers, Thor, and Iron Man really makes the fanIn my opinion this is the best new show on television this year. It packs great plot, action, and characters together in a show that ties in excellently with the established film franchise. I also have to give praise to the excellent special effects and fan-service. Everything looks realistic and the constant references to movies like The Avengers, Thor, and Iron Man really makes the fan in me geek out with excitement.

I can't wait to see where they take the show from here, and I hope that maybe we'll see some of the movie characters make it into the show and vise-versa. Overall if you are a fan of Marvel's latest films then I don't see why you wouldn't like this show just as well. The way it ties into the movies alone is enough to make anyone's inner Marvel fan smile. To be honest I couldn't be more impressed with the show.
  29. Nov 8, 2013
    While I originally gave this show a 6, I know give it a 10 because in the long run its very entertaining. It is certainly not perfect, but if you can get past the cheesy one-liners, stereotypical characters, and dialogue you will be able to find this show to be enjoyable. I liked the references to the Marvel Phase One group of movies with plot elements like Extremis. While I had my doubtsWhile I originally gave this show a 6, I know give it a 10 because in the long run its very entertaining. It is certainly not perfect, but if you can get past the cheesy one-liners, stereotypical characters, and dialogue you will be able to find this show to be enjoyable. I liked the references to the Marvel Phase One group of movies with plot elements like Extremis. While I had my doubts when I watched the first episode, I think this show is good and I now highly recommend it. I think it's better than The Avengers and the show has potential. My only major complaint is that its to unrealistic at times, like with the little robots and the flying car at the end of episode one. (Unlike the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which is grounded in reality, for the most part.) I also like the plot twists in the episodes and the premises. I think they should merge the Marvel One-Shot "Item 47" with this; that would be cool.

(P.S, I'm not just some Marvel fanboy either; read my reviews for Iron Man 3 and The Avengers.)

If you liked this review, read my other reviews on a wide variety of movies, TV shows, and videogames by clicking on my name and mark this review as helpful. Every vote counts!
  30. Sep 26, 2013
    Watch this show. It's entertaining, the characters are awesome and the story has a lot of potential.

Also, the writing was impressive. I was expecting another typical superhero show, but really the writing made this shine.
  31. Sep 26, 2013
    Absolutely terrific! Great pace, awesome visuals, a lot of references to the geek world and the Marvel Universe.

Agent Coulson is such a great character!

Whedon NAILED IT!
  32. Sep 28, 2013
    great show was everything I expected nice to see marvel on TV again and it's great to have joss running the show acting was great and the comedy was smooth
  33. Oct 2, 2013
    Since "Lost" and several others, there is a standard set for new and upcoming shows. A certain formula maybe... But that means only one: every show should thrive towards a golden ideal, every show should want to become the new show that would be followed.

This isn't that show. This is a "procedural" (in the worst possible sense), it's implausible, illogical and simply dumb. The male lead is a hunky, wooden ladies' man, the leading woman is a witty, bubbly, and somewhat geeky girl. The smart people of the team are guess what? British! It became a tradition in American shows to put the British as the villains or the smart-asses. Which is ridiculous!

The plot? It is boring and predictable. I didn't expect cameos of the Avengers, nor "film-budget" effects, but I expect cool and original characters and plot, which is a trademark for Whedon. This is a disgrace for his name and his work.

I am aware that the networks put a lot of pressure on the creators, but Whedon is not some new and young creator, he is a legend. And if he couldn't convince the producers about the actual writing then who? After all he is a writer, and HE should be the one writing it.
  34. Oct 2, 2013
    I was hoping for something more out of this series. I was greatly disappointed by the pilot and the second episode seems to be following the same treatment as the pilot episode when it comes the the corniness and cheesiness. With all the money Marvel and Disney has made with the films, one would expect something greater, not only script wise, but visually as well. The sets look cheap,I was hoping for something more out of this series. I was greatly disappointed by the pilot and the second episode seems to be following the same treatment as the pilot episode when it comes the the corniness and cheesiness. With all the money Marvel and Disney has made with the films, one would expect something greater, not only script wise, but visually as well. The sets look cheap, almost like something from a 90's TV series. Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman comes to mind. Very disappointing and gimmick cameos isn't saving this series for me. Expand
  35. Oct 10, 2013
    I created an account on this website just to complain about this show. The best way I can describe this show is a churched up version of mighty morphin power rangers. (that might be doing a disservice to the thespian that was the yellow ranger) The script is terrible and cliche filled and the characters are extremely campy. I get the feel that the actors are reading me a comic book thatI created an account on this website just to complain about this show. The best way I can describe this show is a churched up version of mighty morphin power rangers. (that might be doing a disservice to the thespian that was the yellow ranger) The script is terrible and cliche filled and the characters are extremely campy. I get the feel that the actors are reading me a comic book that they have for the first time. The nerd-lets for scientists are unbelievable. Hand them a popular science instead of a comic book for a script at least. The hacker might have worked if this was McGyver in the earliest of the 90's but not in 2013 where my nephew can legitimately hack in 6th grade. The "hunky" spy has what i call Faux-tensity. McGruber. That fake intensity that a 7th grade drama class can recreate. How is Marvel allowing this desicration of art? It is beyond me. Maybe I have been overly spoiled by "premium cable" drama (GoT, Breaking Bad, Homeland...) but I have to believe there is a better understanding of human nature available for interpretation on network TV. The American Dairy lobbyist must have forked over some money for all this cheese on prime time TV.

Disappointed to disbelief. Power Rangers Go!
  36. Oct 13, 2013
    I really wanted this show to be good,the fact is that it is boring...given the material they have to work with there is no excuse for the sloppy plot and forced references.i would recommend sticking with the marvel movies as this heap of dung is just a waste of time
  37. Oct 20, 2013
    I'm loving this show! It's got all that special Whedon quirkiness that fans have come to love and look forward to. Plus plenty of references and tie-ins to the movies that I am just adoring, throw in a Stan Lee cameo and I'll be squealing. People who are bashing this show, in my view, seem to not really understand Joss Whedon's style, and can't seem to appreciate it for what it is. Yes itI'm loving this show! It's got all that special Whedon quirkiness that fans have come to love and look forward to. Plus plenty of references and tie-ins to the movies that I am just adoring, throw in a Stan Lee cameo and I'll be squealing. People who are bashing this show, in my view, seem to not really understand Joss Whedon's style, and can't seem to appreciate it for what it is. Yes it can't measure up to the movies, nor is it trying to, the show should be considered its own product that's doing well considering what its related. And its not fair to make a comparison between the show and the movies, the movies have budgets of 10's of millions of dollars, tv works with substantially less. And one more thing, why is everyone complaining about the the flying car? That scene was really cool, troped yes, but cool all the same. And furthermore it ties in with the movies, if you recall in Captain America during the technology expo Howard Stark revealed a prototype flying car, it's quite likely that Coleson's car uses the same technology making it a great tie-in with the movies. Expand
  38. Nov 8, 2013
    The show has made huge strides in the last few weeks to make it feel less predictable. I would say that the last episode which had like 2 episodes went from not caring much about Fitz-Simmons to caring deeply about the character. I would like to know more about Agent Mei. She and Coulson are the two most interesting characters in this series. I hope they continue to make huge stridesThe show has made huge strides in the last few weeks to make it feel less predictable. I would say that the last episode which had like 2 episodes went from not caring much about Fitz-Simmons to caring deeply about the character. I would like to know more about Agent Mei. She and Coulson are the two most interesting characters in this series. I hope they continue to make huge strides in the series. Expand
  39. Oct 8, 2013
    1st episode was okay. 2nd totally killed it completely for me. I was 'watching' it for 30 mins before I realized I hadn't been paying attention for the last 20 mins and was more focused on cleaning my fingernails than giving a single uck about this show or it's characters.
  40. Oct 8, 2013
    This is the first sign of a major problem with Marvel's Avengers strategy. The show has high aspiration, on par with the rest of the franchise, the problem lies in the fact that this is a cash in, plain and simple. The writing, attempts the style of the films. Cheeky good fun, while having serious under tones, but the writing isn't there. It is cheap and cliche. The dialogue is goofy whenThis is the first sign of a major problem with Marvel's Avengers strategy. The show has high aspiration, on par with the rest of the franchise, the problem lies in the fact that this is a cash in, plain and simple. The writing, attempts the style of the films. Cheeky good fun, while having serious under tones, but the writing isn't there. It is cheap and cliche. The dialogue is goofy when i tries to be serious and lame when it tries to be funny. Frankly the writers lack the skill and or supervision of the films writers to be truly effective, this is only compounded by the casting. While Ming Na and Clark Gregg hold there own, quite well actually, the rest of the cast falls flat on their face. They are some of the most miscast, cast ever put to screen. It's not just that they look to young, but that they can't deliver the dialogue in the way that would make it fun. Brett Dalton suffers the worst, imagine that Zac Efron was cast as the Punisher. It doesn't match and it is painfully evident when you watch it. Even when the acting is good it is held back by the poor writing, Ming Na is a great example of this, she does her best and actually pulls it off for the most part, but when the writing fails her, it fails her so epiclly it reduces her entire character to a cliched stereotype.Wade sits for a moment watching as the two leave. Then we get to the sfx. One would expect a level of quality, becoming of a major show, not neccesarily matching the films, but great never the less. To bad they went the quick route, making it stand out as fake. It would look fine in any other sci-fi show, but not one with this pedigree, BSG still stands up as the prime example of sci-fi production values. Finally we get to Coulson, the only character who is truly handled well. Clark Gregg finally gets a chance to shine and he makes the most of it, even if his death is handled poorly by the writers. His character is the only one who actually functions like he should in the universe that has been put to screen. In closing this show is a faliure. It took a wondrous franchise and reduced it too cliches written by unimaginative writers. We were promised something good, if not great. Something worthy of the Avengers franchise. Instead we get a show that shows he first cracks in the franchise and have no confusion these a cracks that are terribly deep. Expand
  41. Sep 29, 2013
    this series is quiet good, I don't get why there are a lot of negative scores for the series (user scores),
    I loved the pilot episode, the plot wasn't that series and that interesting, but I loved it, what I loved most was all of the references to the movies, in a normal situation I whould give it a 8.5/10 but because there are a lot of negative scores I whould give it a 10, its not breaking bad, but if you a fan of the films, it could be very good.
  42. Oct 22, 2013
    While this series may have gotten off to a slow and frankly rather disappointing start, I feel that it's definitely beginning to develop its somewhat two-dimensional characters, and is definitely showing signs of more interesting if not intricate plots. The dialogue is still a little cheesy and clunky after S01E04, but to me it is definitely still an improvement from the pilot episode,While this series may have gotten off to a slow and frankly rather disappointing start, I feel that it's definitely beginning to develop its somewhat two-dimensional characters, and is definitely showing signs of more interesting if not intricate plots. The dialogue is still a little cheesy and clunky after S01E04, but to me it is definitely still an improvement from the pilot episode, which contained far too many cliches and bland plotting. In terms of their acting, I must admit, maybe with the exception of Ming Na Wen and Clark Gregg, is still currently sub par to me, even taking into account their short filming time. That was one of its down sides for me.

It may not be the agents of shield many were expecting, frankly it wasn't the one I was expecting either, but at its current trajectory, I can definitely see it going to greater heights.

I recommend watching it, and sticking with it for a while longer, before judging it again
  43. Oct 1, 2013
    Love it. It had action, lots of new ideas, and references to the marvel universe. The characters are pretty well defined and I think the nerd duo will work well after a while, but my favorite was the Black Ops guy. I hope the hawk shows up in the show, because he is one of my favorite agents. Every pilot has some bugs, but this one was one of the better pilots I've seen for a show.
  44. Oct 1, 2013
    The show is great in my opinion. Good balance with humor and action. I was expecting a good TV SHOW not a good MOVIE and thats exactly what I got! Oh and for those who find the flying car too over the top, it is seen at the world fair scene of the captain America movie as one of Mr stark's attempted inventions, so that to was an Easter egg. Learn the facts before rolling your eyes. Great show!
  45. Oct 2, 2013
    perfect. It is an amazing show, from the first episode, great for those who hadn't watched the Marvel movies, great acting, lots of mystery and tonnes of reason to continue watching!
  46. Oct 2, 2013
    I was skeptical of this show going in, literally saying to my flatmate as it was downloading: "There's plenty of avenues for this to end up in Suckitude Town." and I found the first moments of dialogue to be dreadfully painful, but then after the first few scenes it hit me. The show is deliberately dancing on both sides of that line that divides cheezy and entertaining in a playfulI was skeptical of this show going in, literally saying to my flatmate as it was downloading: "There's plenty of avenues for this to end up in Suckitude Town." and I found the first moments of dialogue to be dreadfully painful, but then after the first few scenes it hit me. The show is deliberately dancing on both sides of that line that divides cheezy and entertaining in a playful manner when approaching those standard/stereotypical cliched scenes, and I have to say it does it quite brilliantly.

This is not going to be one of those grittier darker Whedon shows that many of us loved, and it can't be given that Marvel is now a "family friendly" franchise so we get something a bit more lighthearted and "fun" that fits an episodic format with a hint of a possibly intriguing story arc (2 episodes in is really to early to tell).

If you came in expecting one thing and didn't get it, obviously you're going to be dissapointed. But if you see it and can appreciate it for what it is it really is pretty enjoyable so far. It gets an 8 from me for the laughs it gave so far and the potential it holds, but I'm really holding judgement for at least a few more episodes.
  47. Oct 9, 2013
    It's lighthearted fun in the same vein as Avengers. It's typical Joss Whedon fare with a small ensemble of uniquely different characters who somehow find a way to come together to accomplish things. I'm not exactly sure what people (Whedon fans in particular) have against the quarky/humor-laden writing in S.H.I.E.L.D. considering how Firefly was EXACTLY the same. I remember people panningIt's lighthearted fun in the same vein as Avengers. It's typical Joss Whedon fare with a small ensemble of uniquely different characters who somehow find a way to come together to accomplish things. I'm not exactly sure what people (Whedon fans in particular) have against the quarky/humor-laden writing in S.H.I.E.L.D. considering how Firefly was EXACTLY the same. I remember people panning Firefly for not taking itself serious.. But that's just what Whedon does and it worked for Avengers. For me, its just a fun show that I know my family will be able to enjoylike avengers. Its no breaking bad/walking dead but its trying to be. If all S.H.I.E.L.D. does is promote marvel and kkeep people somewhat engaged and thinking about MARVEL until the next movie than it has served a purpose. Expand
  48. Nov 8, 2013
    First episodes were a bit boring but it gets better and better! Keep watching, I'm glad I did.
    I really like the little references to other Marvel movies. Skye is awesome!
  49. Nov 13, 2013
    Just bear through the first episode and you'll thank yourself once you watch the second. I love Fitz-Simmons. They are my favorite because of the inside jokes and witty, genius-science remarks they make. The most recent episodes have been incredible so far. The earlier episodes, not so much. I gave this a 10 not because it's an amazing tv show, but because I didn't believe it would turnJust bear through the first episode and you'll thank yourself once you watch the second. I love Fitz-Simmons. They are my favorite because of the inside jokes and witty, genius-science remarks they make. The most recent episodes have been incredible so far. The earlier episodes, not so much. I gave this a 10 not because it's an amazing tv show, but because I didn't believe it would turn into something this good. Joss Whedon is by far my favorite writer ever. Expand
  50. Oct 14, 2013
    This show gets more disappointing with every episode. My take let's say you give Avengers 100 out of 100. This show is just like the Avengers oh but with a bunch of dimwit gen-y actors (-15 points) minus the budget (-15) minus the script (-10), minus a plot (-20). And even making Clark Gregg into a douche (-20!). 100 80 20 out of 100 yeah, that's about right....
  51. Apr 28, 2014
    I was one of many negative reviewers to begin with.. Sorry to say, and apologies to the people who star and make this show. The things that I complained about initially either grew on me or repaired themselves. In short watch this show past the first 5 or 6 episodes and you have something good on your hands. As for how "un-Marvel this show seems at first becomes very Marvel the more youI was one of many negative reviewers to begin with.. Sorry to say, and apologies to the people who star and make this show. The things that I complained about initially either grew on me or repaired themselves. In short watch this show past the first 5 or 6 episodes and you have something good on your hands. As for how "un-Marvel this show seems at first becomes very Marvel the more you watch it.
    I decided to give this show another chance after my friend carried on watching it where as I gave up in the first few episodes, and all she said was good things about it. Glad I listened.
    Lets hope us former "haters" haven't spoiled the chances for a season 2 and beyond.
  52. Nov 6, 2013
    The writing is lackluster and cliche, but it's really the characters that damn the series. The actors have absolutely no presence or chemistry with each other. Is Joss Whedon even involved with this show? He's known for his ability to take mediocre actors and build a powerhouse ensemble performances out of them and it's really hard to believe he had any hand in this mess whatsoever.
  53. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The worst thing you can do when watching this show EVER is expect movie budget and super heroes.
    None were advertised, you know what you're going in to, don't the show is really badass.
    First episodes was okay, kicked off the series, second episode was ...Irrelevant, might as well not exist.
    And the third episode ...Holy that was so amazing.
    As I said, the show is called Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. so you already know what it's about, expecting a ton of super heroes and super villains (All thought we already saw Graviton) then you're better off watching the movies alone and figuring out the references by yourself.
  54. Sep 25, 2013
    I have to say i expected more i have nothing to say...everything about the pilot is average, i really expect the show get better with time, i like the mistery of Agent Coulson, where he was?, what happened to him?
  55. Oct 24, 2013
    Very disappointing. I like the idea, but not the delivery. It makes me feel like I'm watching a show from the "CW". It's predictable, clichéd, vanilla, and tedious. It has too many of those too young, too pretty, too unbelievably talented for their age, characters. This is all about the looks and the gizmos, and not the story. Does every show Whedon makes have to have the hot uber-womenVery disappointing. I like the idea, but not the delivery. It makes me feel like I'm watching a show from the "CW". It's predictable, clichéd, vanilla, and tedious. It has too many of those too young, too pretty, too unbelievably talented for their age, characters. This is all about the looks and the gizmos, and not the story. Does every show Whedon makes have to have the hot uber-women types? Which wouldn’t be horrible if there were other characters to counter balance them? Firefly was an awesome example of a show built around characters and imperfection. Here, there's no grit, no angst. The only attempts at any humor are cheesy one-liners, and any witty banter feels forced and is not very witty. There aren't any imaginative or interesting characters here, there's no stimulating dialogue. This show wants and tries so hard to be a hit and make everyone happy, it simply falls flat. Kids might like it, if I were 12, I might like it. If this show was on Saturday mornings, it would help me understand where its coming from a lot better. Expand
  56. Sep 28, 2013
    Esta serie será una de mis favoritas. Me encantó el primer episodio. Los efectos especiales están bien. Espero que a medida que avance la serie se vayan incorporando nuevos personajes y que la historia siga poniéndose interesante.
  57. Oct 2, 2013
    I have very mixed feelings about this show. Some things I really liked and some things I didn't. For instance the scripts are full of funny little moments, the same kind of moments that made The Avengers so enjoyable. However Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. overuses these kind of jokes to the point that it gets really annoying. I did however like the pacing of the show. It felt like a big scaleI have very mixed feelings about this show. Some things I really liked and some things I didn't. For instance the scripts are full of funny little moments, the same kind of moments that made The Avengers so enjoyable. However Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. overuses these kind of jokes to the point that it gets really annoying. I did however like the pacing of the show. It felt like a big scale action movie, with a constantly changing location and elaborate set pieces. Which brings to another positive aspect of the show; visual effects. The visual effects in this show blew my mind. From the cgi Plane to the HUD to J. August Richards face glowing everything looked like it could have been in a major summer blockbuster. So despite all the flaws in character and dialogue the show makes up for it with great action and special effects. Hopefully the show gets better with time but even if it doesn't it is still a solid show that is worth watching. Expand
  58. Oct 6, 2013
    Slightly cheesy to begin with, but it looks promising looks like it can improve over the course of the season. It's not excellent, by no means, as it is a television show therefore the scale of the budget isn't as big or as good as the Marvel films. The little references to the Marvel Film Universe are nice to see but I'm wondering how it is going to work alongside the film universe!Slightly cheesy to begin with, but it looks promising looks like it can improve over the course of the season. It's not excellent, by no means, as it is a television show therefore the scale of the budget isn't as big or as good as the Marvel films. The little references to the Marvel Film Universe are nice to see but I'm wondering how it is going to work alongside the film universe! We're just going to have to wait every week. Expand
  59. Oct 7, 2013
    This TV Show was one I was looking forward to but after the first 15 minutes, I was cringing at the horrible story and the awful characters, except Clark Gregg. As the only person on the show that has talent, he is not strong enough to save this deplorable sinking ship of losers. All of the females are ugly beyond compare and have absolutely no acting ability. The cringing I mentioned isThis TV Show was one I was looking forward to but after the first 15 minutes, I was cringing at the horrible story and the awful characters, except Clark Gregg. As the only person on the show that has talent, he is not strong enough to save this deplorable sinking ship of losers. All of the females are ugly beyond compare and have absolutely no acting ability. The cringing I mentioned is due to the overly sweet/brackish taste I got from listening to "people wanting to do the right thing". After 30 minutes I deleted the show and removed it from my Recordings. Expand
  60. Oct 9, 2013
    This show seemed promising enough considering it has so much Marvel content to work with, but just doesn't deliver.

My thoughts : - The 2 scientists get on my nerves with their jitteriness and unintelligent humor. - The pretty computer hacker does not fit the part. By her show's personality, i get the impression she could barely figure out how to turn on one. Her character needs to

My thoughts :
    - The pretty computer hacker does not fit the part. By her show's personality, i get the impression she could barely figure out how to turn on one. Her character needs to show a lot more intelligence.
    - I was expecting at least one member of the group with some super power but maybe that will come later.
    - CGI and special effects are poor for this day in age. Comparable to the 90's.
    - It needs a bit more of a serious edge to it. Feels a little Walt Disney, catering to younger folk. It reminds me of the movie Batman & Robin(1997) with George Clooney, when it should be more like The Dark Knight(2008), for those who saw both.
    - Have popular super heroes make cameo appearances now and then.
    - Increase the budget, I'm sure you have it Marvel! Do something, or this show won't be around for much longer.
  61. Oct 15, 2013
    Just like a lot of people said, the dialogs were bad. The characters are too predictable and the actors are not that good for a show 'this big'. The episode plot is very predictable as well and the characters make annoying comments that are not necessary at times. They all sound silly and I thought I was watching a kids show, because they all act like they are in a Disney movie orJust like a lot of people said, the dialogs were bad. The characters are too predictable and the actors are not that good for a show 'this big'. The episode plot is very predictable as well and the characters make annoying comments that are not necessary at times. They all sound silly and I thought I was watching a kids show, because they all act like they are in a Disney movie or something. Very disappointed that the critics were bought by Marvel to give high scores.. and also disappointed about the show itself. Expand
  62. Nov 8, 2013
    Thought this was going to be a great show, but it's pretty terrible. Pilot wasn't any good and I tried to watch two more episodes to give it a fair chance, but it's just terrible.
  63. Nov 17, 2013
    SHIELD is increasingly achieving what it is intended to do for its fan base.

SHIELD is increasingly achieving what it is intended to do for its fan base.

It is delivering on both the graphic novel/comic book and long-arc plot genres. It has action, tech, emotions and romantic overtures that other programs can only hope for. It can appeal to a range of demographics. From a arc perspective, each week pulls back the curtain on tech gee wiz (the plane hover!), character back-story and undercurrents (internal SHIELD intrigue and villains).

Balance is difficult. Unfolding too fast and superficial would disappoint core fans hungering for depth. Too slow will make it more difficult to engage new-comers. Some criticize for insufficient tie from episode to episode. Yet, how many times have series failed by being so serialized, new-comers can't easily join in?

Stress is on the strengths. As the storyline unfolds it's generally getting better and planting seeds for a rich list of future episodes. While I have my favorite episodes (6 & 7 were especially strong in many ways compared to the pilot), mostly would be delighted to be a fly on the wall in the writing room to see the chemistry that produces the scripts and inspired the casting. Recall, it was the writing team and Clark Gregg that breathed life into Phil Coulson a character not in the the Marvel canon. That's a fan accomplishment.

Consider the business model. ABC's, really Disney's, commitment to the franchise and excellent track record in managing such franchises, gives SHIELD runway to unfold in this balanced way that could weave together the movies and games for years to come. Too many reviewers emphasize the number drop without realizing numbers are still respectable and the integrated business model might be quite respectable including the Verizon tag-on. SHIELD's demographics also are pleasing buyers for key advertisers.
  64. Nov 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really like Marvel's Agents of Shield, because it is very funny and it is filled with emotion and humor an action. I like the last few episodes but the beginning of the series wasn't the best but when I watch a few more episodes It is starting to get way better because the last few episodes had an action and agents they got more serious and it got a lot more cooler. They started to get in skies past and her parents Expand
  65. Nov 22, 2013
    After a shaky start, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is finally hitting it's stride, with characters being fleshed out, and a run of good episodes. Stick through the first few episodes and you'll find this show rewarding, and I've a strong feeling its only going to get better.
  66. Nov 25, 2013
    There is not much more that I can say other than I love this show. The characters are very engaging and well portrayed. The dialogue is wonderful and very witty at times. The pace of the show is just right, keeping you engaged by stretching out the plot, but doesn't take too long on reveals. I really like that they cast such amazing actors, many of them little known rather than findingThere is not much more that I can say other than I love this show. The characters are very engaging and well portrayed. The dialogue is wonderful and very witty at times. The pace of the show is just right, keeping you engaged by stretching out the plot, but doesn't take too long on reveals. I really like that they cast such amazing actors, many of them little known rather than finding well known actors. It can make you laugh one minute and then have you crying the next.

It follows The Avengers very well, making sure the audience knows that it is included in the Marvel universe by references to the characters, as well as incorporating the events of Thor 2. If you loved any of the other movies in the franchise, or are a fan of Marvel then this is the show for you.

My final comment is that Joss Whedon is an amazing director, and I do believe that he has another hit with Agents of SHIELD. I just hope he doesn't kill anyone off too soon.
  67. Apr 3, 2014
    Marvel’s Agents of Shield is far from perfect. Many fans criticized the show for not being “Marvel” enough, however the show is slowly taking viewer’s advice. With Mike Peters becoming Deathlok; Agent Maria Hill, Nick Fury, and Lady Sif making appearances; Donnie Gill from episode 12 becoming a version of Blizzard; Bill Paxton becoming Agent John Garrett; the strange blue alien at the endMarvel’s Agents of Shield is far from perfect. Many fans criticized the show for not being “Marvel” enough, however the show is slowly taking viewer’s advice. With Mike Peters becoming Deathlok; Agent Maria Hill, Nick Fury, and Lady Sif making appearances; Donnie Gill from episode 12 becoming a version of Blizzard; Bill Paxton becoming Agent John Garrett; the strange blue alien at the end of episode 14; and future tie-ins with Marvel movies (like Captain America: The Winter Soldier) the show is genuinely trying to improve. With each passing week, Agents of SHIELD. is becoming a more fully developed show; after many episodes it has finally managed to redeem itself. The show’s characters are generic, to say the least, but they have been changing for the better. I get that fans want to have more Marvel superheroes and stuff in the episodes, and I agree with that, but it’s a bit too much to ask for people like Robert Downey Jr and Scarlet Johansson to appear on the show. Another initial problem with SHIELD was that it had “case of the week”-like episodes. There was no overall story arc (a problem Fox’s Almost Human faced). Now though, there is Centipede and the Clairvoyant.

I liked the references to the Marvel Phase One group of movies with plot elements like Extremis. While I had my doubts when I watched the first episode, I think this show is good now and I now highly recommend it. I think it's better than The Avengers and the show has potential. My only major complaint is that it’s too unrealistic at times, like with the little robots and the flying car at the end of episode one, unlike the Marvel Cinematic Universe which is grounded in reality (for the most part). I also like the plot twists in the episodes and the premises. I think they should merge the Marvel One-Shot "Item 47" with this; that would be cool.
    I personally always liked the show, despite all its faults. I think a big problem was that some people had really high expectations for this show, and those high expectations weren’t met. I get that, because I had high expectations for The Avengers and Iron Man 3, and I was disappointed when they weren’t met. High expectations can ruin otherwise great films/TV shows, so I recommend that if you don’t already—don’t expect too much from this show. If you liked this review, read my other reviews on a wide variety of movies and TV shows by clicking on my name and mark this review as helpful. Remember, every vote counts and I’d really appreciate it.
  68. Mar 24, 2014
    i think its good im enjoying every episode wishing they were longer everything is building up to like when they bring in the heroes and villains its clever funny love all the characters its a good show that doesnt have to have alot of action all the time
  69. Oct 3, 2013
    I've gotten as far as the second episode. Overall, the characters themselves are very lackluster and not very creative. For the most part, none of the characters are particularly engaging like Torchwood's (first and second season). The involvement in the Avenger's universe is pretty cool as there are nods here and there. But big explosions and CGI can only carry this show so far.
  70. Oct 15, 2013
    I had high hopes, but no, this is garbage. And annoying garbage at that. Outside of Coulson and um, sometimes that May woman, the characters on this show are horribly written and acted. And they are not half as interesting, cool, or quick-witted as they think they are. If they wanted to save this show, which I predict will last this season and plummet the next, in my opinion they needI had high hopes, but no, this is garbage. And annoying garbage at that. Outside of Coulson and um, sometimes that May woman, the characters on this show are horribly written and acted. And they are not half as interesting, cool, or quick-witted as they think they are. If they wanted to save this show, which I predict will last this season and plummet the next, in my opinion they need to kill off the team except Coulson, and reboot with characters that have more life than a corpse and are not as egotistical as a teenager. Seriously though, why if this was such a top secret project, did they recruit a bunch of 14 year olds who look as if they're in the middle of a growth spurt? And they act like 14 year olds too! Honestly, I keep waiting for the episode where they study for their SATs. Ugh, my head hurts thinking how disappointing this whole thing is, can't watch anymore. Also, scale the writing back, not everything needs to be a pun, or quippy, I feel like I'm watching an episode of Sex and the City. Expand
  71. Oct 12, 2013
    At the time of writing this review I've only seen three episodes of ABC's new series. I will be sticking with it for a little longer and am willing to change my mind if things improve but what I have seen so far has left me underwhelmed. Its not terrible by any means but being a fan of the Marvel movies, and an even bigger fan of Josh Whedon, I was simply expecting more.

For me the

For me the biggest issue is that it is clearly aiming to please as big an audience as possible. Considering the huge cost of making the show (which is clear in the movie quality special effects) that is somewhat understandable but as with all these 'family friendly' dramas it simply lacks the punch and complexity of the very best drama series. Aside from Agent Coulson the characters aren't particularly interesting either. Many of them fall into broad stereotypes, something which is surprising when you consider some of the great characters Josh Whedon has created over the years.

Anyone that has watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer will know that even that great show took time to find it's feet so there is hope for the Agents of Shield yet but as of now I'm unconvinced.
  72. Oct 13, 2013
    Aside from having the Marvel name attached to it, There is nothing special about this show. The acting is average, The plot is very generic, and it fails to keep you entertained or interested. Would not recommend.
  73. May 17, 2014
    Agents of SHIELD has an interesting Pilot, then a lot of disappointing episodes, and then once the Hydra reveal happened after Captain America 2 came out the show started to pick back up, and the season ended on a high note. I think this show can absolutely go in interesting directions in Season 2.
  74. Nov 13, 2013
    While the show's premise isn't what everyone is expecting and its slow development in its first few episodes, the show gets interesting week by week and the viewers just needs to be patient and realize that this show is about S.H.I.E.L.D. itself, not The Avengers.
  75. Oct 29, 2013
    Well go figure Marvel! Marvel's new show Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D looks so surprising for any Marvel fans, or any Comic Book Guys. It follows The Avengers footsteps and it brought Agent Coulson's return.
  76. Oct 12, 2013
    I was expecting so much from the first episode well because it's MARVEL but i wasn't impressed so i gave it another chance well because it's MARVEL and i'm glad i gave it a second shot because the second episode showed more story-lines, more action, more adventure, and definitely more charm between some characters! the third episode took place on yet another country which is what's soI was expecting so much from the first episode well because it's MARVEL but i wasn't impressed so i gave it another chance well because it's MARVEL and i'm glad i gave it a second shot because the second episode showed more story-lines, more action, more adventure, and definitely more charm between some characters! the third episode took place on yet another country which is what's so great about this show.. it is very adventerous and action packed! well done Joss Whedon Expand
  77. Oct 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I waited with review to second episode, and well...
    Scenario is so stupid, i cant watch more than 5 min per session. Every armed man must run without shoot into our agents, bandits have superuper-pistols they can shoot off pyramid with. Or at least shake it :D
    i will not give another examples, but this serie is for total idiots no more than 12 years old.
  78. May 14, 2014
    It took a while to get off the ground. The first half of the season was very hit and miss but the second half was very good. It still isn't the best show in the world, but the Captain America crossover during the season's second half brought a lot to the show. It's worth watching if you can get past the first ten so-so episodes.
  79. Apr 15, 2014
    Being a huge fan of Marvel Movies how could I turn down a show named Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I was a little disappointed in the first few episodes and almost stopped watching it, but I'm glad I hung in there. Around the 5th and 6th episode it really started to pick up and hasn't disappointed. The show has been action packed with kick ass agents, powerful villains and weapons,Being a huge fan of Marvel Movies how could I turn down a show named Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I was a little disappointed in the first few episodes and almost stopped watching it, but I'm glad I hung in there. Around the 5th and 6th episode it really started to pick up and hasn't disappointed. The show has been action packed with kick ass agents, powerful villains and weapons, also I'm glad the writers incorporated Asgardians in a few of their episodes and now Hydra characters (villains/agents). This show has definitely been worth the wait and the watch. Expand
  80. May 2, 2014
    It is almost the end of the season and I am very addicted. Joss and Marvel are a great combination!

What is funny is I looked at the bad reviews for this season and pretty much all are in Sept / Oct. This is the classic curse of Joss. He spends the first several episodes establishing characters and giving them depth but most people don't want that, they was action action action. Well the patients for the die hard fans has paid off because the entire second half of the season is full of it. So many plot twists and "didn't see that coming" and "they did what?" going on it is great.

If you watched only the first few episodes, you owe it to yourself to try one of the more recent ones, you might be surprised at the results.
  81. Sep 27, 2013
    One of my favorite fall tv show so far. Such a brilliant show and it just makes sense that Coulson should not die. Clark Gregg will always be apart of the marvel universe, even if he's not the superhero but he is still a hero to people. Chloe Bennet as Skye is funny. Not bad to look at either. Definitely will tune in more of this show.
  82. Sep 29, 2013
    Not that bad, but I get the feeling that this show was conceived as a commercial for Marvel and not much else. However despite this it feels kinda real and the characters are okay. The factors that drag it down are it's low budget and the fact that it does not know if it wants to be a funny family movie or a serious action/adventure movie.
  83. Oct 8, 2013
    2 episodes in and I'm still waiting for it to get going. Wanted this to be so much more. Lacking the drama and fun of Avengers tie in movies. Could be good, but so far 'meh'
  84. Oct 9, 2013
    There is a lot riding on Marvel's Agents of Shield. First of all, it takes place in the same world as one of the best movies the world has ever seen, The Avengers. Second, it's written by TV hero Joss Whedon. So the expectations for this show are high. From the first 3 episodes, it has not delivered, at all, on these expectations. But there is good news; Due to an overwhelming pre-fanThere is a lot riding on Marvel's Agents of Shield. First of all, it takes place in the same world as one of the best movies the world has ever seen, The Avengers. Second, it's written by TV hero Joss Whedon. So the expectations for this show are high. From the first 3 episodes, it has not delivered, at all, on these expectations. But there is good news; Due to an overwhelming pre-fan base, and a very open premise with tons of lore to draw upon, this show will almost undoubtedly be renewed and it has lots of time to improve. So far over the course of 3 episodes, it has improved already by 150%. The pilot was one of the campiest, cheesiest, corniest, worst things I've ever seen, while still being about a subject I love so that's pretty hard to do. It was almost unbearable, as if watching a Parody of itself. The characters were cookie-cutter, the acting was horrid, the dialogue was reminiscent of amateur night at a comedy club and the tech and gadgets were meh. BUT, episode 2 improved all that by about 45%, and episode 3 by another 65% so stick with it, if you can, and before long, it should be a decent show. You want to like it. I want to like it, so lets give it a little time to fix itself before we come down too hard. Expand
  85. Oct 13, 2013
    Really boring show. I´m a big Whedon & Marvel´s fan but this series make me yawn. I miss a black character here, not just only a small stellar appearance of mr. Jackson. The two scientist... I know they´re trying the Xander-Willow rol stuff here, but c´mon, I think with one of these guys is enough. The McGuffins used until now are mediocre. An hydra laser?? Please... I´m stuck with theReally boring show. I´m a big Whedon & Marvel´s fan but this series make me yawn. I miss a black character here, not just only a small stellar appearance of mr. Jackson. The two scientist... I know they´re trying the Xander-Willow rol stuff here, but c´mon, I think with one of these guys is enough. The McGuffins used until now are mediocre. An hydra laser?? Please... I´m stuck with the third episode, I stopped two days ago to go to the bathroom and... well... I dont really care what happens next so I left to see the season three of Teen Wolf, the worthy successor of a Joss Whedon tv show. So this is Agents of Shield, really flat characters and mediocre plots. I don´t expect the show goes better so i´ll stop watching this by now. Sorry if i had spelling mistakes, i haven´t written on english in a long time Collapse
  86. Oct 19, 2013
    The show is one of the better shows on tv this fall! I love the special effects, there is just the right amount so it looks realistic. I love the references to the marvel movies, but the show does not depend on them and the ones that it does depend on are explained for viewers who have yet to see the movies. However, the plot can be cheesy, cliche, and predictable at times.
  87. Oct 23, 2013
    I enjoy most superhero shows and movies, even the bad ones. But couldn't bear to watch this show. Fell asleep twice. The acting is just horrible, especially the actor playing Phil Coulson. He seems to be giggling at the camera all the time, his character seems so one dimensional and frankly, I think he's just a horrible actor, Marvel just needs someone to tie this to their films so figuredI enjoy most superhero shows and movies, even the bad ones. But couldn't bear to watch this show. Fell asleep twice. The acting is just horrible, especially the actor playing Phil Coulson. He seems to be giggling at the camera all the time, his character seems so one dimensional and frankly, I think he's just a horrible actor, Marvel just needs someone to tie this to their films so figured they'd put him in, which is definitely a mistake in my opinion as this man cannot act.

Story is very boring, generic, its even cheesier than Lois & Clark and even the old Flash show. The show feels like it can't figure out if it wants to be a cartoon (cause of the ridiculously stupid story line) or a live action show for adults. They need to take a hint from Heroes (Season 1) and Arrow. I guess we've just been spoiled lately by all the great shows and movies that a sub par show like this really shows its colours. I hope they cancel it soon, or atleast kill off Coulson again. Cause I cant watch this man act. I'd be surprised if this show lasts more than a season.
  88. Nov 6, 2013
    This series has slowly been picking up steam after a up-and-down beginning to the season. The characters are developing over time (as one would expect), and the situations are becoming more and more dynamic. As for the acting, it is uneven, but Clark Gregg is really a tent pole for the cast. His performance alone is worth the watching. Too many would-be critics wrote this show off far too quickly.
  89. Nov 17, 2013
    I didn't even believe it at first that this was actually going to be on the TV. It just seemed too big for a TV show to cover. The superheroes, the superpowers, the complex universe, and to keep them all in continuum.

After seeing the pilot, I was a little bit uneasy because the series seemed to have a potential to be good but at the same time, the pilot just didn't really impress me as much as I had hoped it would. It was definitely a weak pilot. But I still gave more episodes a shot. And I guess now I have to come to a conclusion that the show is just not working. At least not for me. And if I had to say the one thing that ruins the show, it's the procedural style it's being made in. I have NCIS and The Blacklist for that.
  90. Nov 20, 2013
    When there's nary a negative critic review to be found and a significant number of people who really dislike the show, it's a pretty fair indicator that critic reviews are bought and paid for.
  91. Nov 26, 2013
    I began watching this with high hopes, which were met within the pilot, but as soon as the Marvel fan goggles wore off it turned into a poorly developed, over-acted catastrophe. The Main characters bicker like children (even in instances which are about the fate of the world), and S.H.I.E.L.D itself is incredibly lacklustre, not identifying themselves as a secret organisation but more of aI began watching this with high hopes, which were met within the pilot, but as soon as the Marvel fan goggles wore off it turned into a poorly developed, over-acted catastrophe. The Main characters bicker like children (even in instances which are about the fate of the world), and S.H.I.E.L.D itself is incredibly lacklustre, not identifying themselves as a secret organisation but more of a new division within the NYPD. Expand
  92. Dec 4, 2013
    Whilst the pilot was intriguing I found the first few episodes a little weak, however with each subsequent episode the show continues to improve and find it's feet. Do not expect the Avengers or you will be disappointed, but this show is one to watch.
  93. Dec 11, 2013
    This show gets better the more I watch it. The stories often take unexpected turns, usually in a good and interesting way. It has variety of characters; it's nice that not everyone has the same personality. It has a lot of cliffhangers, which always makes me anxious to see the next episode.
  94. Dec 18, 2013
    I couldn't make it through the first episode. It's a shame because there is NOTHING on this time slot worth watching. I just turn off the tv until The Goldbergs come on after.
  95. Apr 20, 2014
    Now that it's broken free of its former episodic format and moved on to continuous story a la Lost, this show's gotten so much better. If you can make it past the first six or so episodes, you'll find a much better show than the one you began with.
  96. Jan 15, 2014
    Show took time to build but it looks to be finding its footing after exploring all their characters and piecing each of them together. Story arcs are coming full circle and the show has become very intriguing. Understand what the writers are trying to do as they take time in developing their cast and making them shine when they ought to. The show runners know what they are doing and knowShow took time to build but it looks to be finding its footing after exploring all their characters and piecing each of them together. Story arcs are coming full circle and the show has become very intriguing. Understand what the writers are trying to do as they take time in developing their cast and making them shine when they ought to. The show runners know what they are doing and know where they are headed. This isn't some in your face show where everything is obvious and you just enjoy the ride. This is a well fleshed out story where different people are brought together and find that you can't always do things on your own. When times are tough, you have to lean on your allies. But that doesn't mean all of your allies are good. Expand
  97. Jan 15, 2014
    Thank God Joss Whedon has a show going again. Following his standard story arch, mid season of season 1 is when it gets interesting. After tonight my full confidence is behind the show.

If you're not familiar with Joss Whedon's work, give it a season and you will see what a master can do. I don't give praise lightly, and I can't give enough to Joss. Thank you for coming back to TV.
  98. Apr 12, 2014
    I agree the show was real slow and very off topic on the first 10 episodes, but you always have to let a show pick up so it can get with the flow. To many people rated it badly off the bat because its not what they wanted it to be. When you give a new experimental show some time it will show its colors soon enough. After episode 10 the show really is making much more sense of things. andI agree the show was real slow and very off topic on the first 10 episodes, but you always have to let a show pick up so it can get with the flow. To many people rated it badly off the bat because its not what they wanted it to be. When you give a new experimental show some time it will show its colors soon enough. After episode 10 the show really is making much more sense of things. and showing backgrounds into some of marvels other heroes and villains, like Deathlok. I find this as a great idea, like how justice league unlimited showed heroes that were never given a TV series. Expect a lot from this series, its Marvel you know. Expand
  99. Jan 22, 2014
    This is the kind of show that will continue to get better the longer it is on the air. More characters will get introduced. More in general will happen. Remember how the second X-Men, Spider-Man, and Thor movies were so much better than the first? That’s what will happen with the second season of MAOS.

It may not find it’s groove this season, but it will get there, and you’ll be glad you stuck with it. It would be a waste for this show to get cancelled before it reaches its potential.

Please don’t give up on it.
  100. Feb 5, 2014
    Good pilot, first episodes a little weak, but from the sixth/seventh episode onwards was a revelation and now it keeps getting better and better! Characters are becoming very interesting too.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gregg has a deadpan ease that makes the engine purr. And his team is good-looking and stamped with just enough personality and humor: Without killing the fun, they ground the show. [14 Oct 2013, p.43]
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Greenfield
    Oct 3, 2013
    The show has a sound concept.... But the script, by Joss, Jed and Tancharoen, with Joss directing, is a mite too pleased with itself.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Sep 26, 2013
    There’s actually not a single weak link in the cast. The weakness of the premiere comes down to plotting. There’s a slightly melodramatic arc involving a commentary on the current economic state of the country.