Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 24, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3
6.5

1. Oct 22, 2013
    While this series may have gotten off to a slow and frankly rather disappointing start, I feel that it's definitely beginning to develop its somewhat two-dimensional characters, and is definitely showing signs of more interesting if not intricate plots. The dialogue is still a little cheesy and clunky after S01E04, but to me it is definitely still an improvement from the pilot episode,While this series may have gotten off to a slow and frankly rather disappointing start, I feel that it's definitely beginning to develop its somewhat two-dimensional characters, and is definitely showing signs of more interesting if not intricate plots. The dialogue is still a little cheesy and clunky after S01E04, but to me it is definitely still an improvement from the pilot episode, which contained far too many cliches and bland plotting. In terms of their acting, I must admit, maybe with the exception of Ming Na Wen and Clark Gregg, is still currently sub par to me, even taking into account their short filming time. That was one of its down sides for me.

It may not be the agents of shield many were expecting, frankly it wasn't the one I was expecting either, but at its current trajectory, I can definitely see it going to greater heights.

I recommend watching it, and sticking with it for a while longer, before judging it again
  2. Nov 8, 2013
    First episodes were a bit boring but it gets better and better! Keep watching, I'm glad I did.
    I really like the little references to other Marvel movies. Skye is awesome!
  3. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The worst thing you can do when watching this show EVER is expect movie budget and super heroes.
    None were advertised, you know what you're going in to, don't the show is really badass.
    First episodes was okay, kicked off the series, second episode was ...Irrelevant, might as well not exist.
    And the third episode ...Holy that was so amazing.
    As I said, the show is called Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. so you already know what it's about, expecting a ton of super heroes and super villains (All thought we already saw Graviton) then you're better off watching the movies alone and figuring out the references by yourself.
  4. Nov 23, 2014
    I'm RE-REviewing this season.

The episodes Prior to the avengers easily deserve a 4-5. They were mneh at best, with a couple stand out moments.

Yet post CA:TWS? In-CREDIBLE. WAY TO GO DISNEY! You ROCKED IT!
  5. Nov 13, 2013
    While the show's premise isn't what everyone is expecting and its slow development in its first few episodes, the show gets interesting week by week and the viewers just needs to be patient and realize that this show is about S.H.I.E.L.D. itself, not The Avengers.
  6. Oct 29, 2013
    Well go figure Marvel! Marvel's new show Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D looks so surprising for any Marvel fans, or any Comic Book Guys. It follows The Avengers footsteps and it brought Agent Coulson's return.
  7. Oct 12, 2013
    I was expecting so much from the first episode well because it's MARVEL but i wasn't impressed so i gave it another chance well because it's MARVEL and i'm glad i gave it a second shot because the second episode showed more story-lines, more action, more adventure, and definitely more charm between some characters! the third episode took place on yet another country which is what's soI was expecting so much from the first episode well because it's MARVEL but i wasn't impressed so i gave it another chance well because it's MARVEL and i'm glad i gave it a second shot because the second episode showed more story-lines, more action, more adventure, and definitely more charm between some characters! the third episode took place on yet another country which is what's so great about this show.. it is very adventerous and action packed! well done Joss Whedon Expand
  8. May 14, 2014
    It took a while to get off the ground. The first half of the season was very hit and miss but the second half was very good. It still isn't the best show in the world, but the Captain America crossover during the season's second half brought a lot to the show. It's worth watching if you can get past the first ten so-so episodes.
  9. Apr 15, 2014
    Being a huge fan of Marvel Movies how could I turn down a show named Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I was a little disappointed in the first few episodes and almost stopped watching it, but I'm glad I hung in there. Around the 5th and 6th episode it really started to pick up and hasn't disappointed. The show has been action packed with kick ass agents, powerful villains and weapons,Being a huge fan of Marvel Movies how could I turn down a show named Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I was a little disappointed in the first few episodes and almost stopped watching it, but I'm glad I hung in there. Around the 5th and 6th episode it really started to pick up and hasn't disappointed. The show has been action packed with kick ass agents, powerful villains and weapons, also I'm glad the writers incorporated Asgardians in a few of their episodes and now Hydra characters (villains/agents). This show has definitely been worth the wait and the watch. Expand
  10. Nov 6, 2013
    This series has slowly been picking up steam after a up-and-down beginning to the season. The characters are developing over time (as one would expect), and the situations are becoming more and more dynamic. As for the acting, it is uneven, but Clark Gregg is really a tent pole for the cast. His performance alone is worth the watching. Too many would-be critics wrote this show off far too quickly.
  11. Apr 12, 2014
    I agree the show was real slow and very off topic on the first 10 episodes, but you always have to let a show pick up so it can get with the flow. To many people rated it badly off the bat because its not what they wanted it to be. When you give a new experimental show some time it will show its colors soon enough. After episode 10 the show really is making much more sense of things. andI agree the show was real slow and very off topic on the first 10 episodes, but you always have to let a show pick up so it can get with the flow. To many people rated it badly off the bat because its not what they wanted it to be. When you give a new experimental show some time it will show its colors soon enough. After episode 10 the show really is making much more sense of things. and showing backgrounds into some of marvels other heroes and villains, like Deathlok. I find this as a great idea, like how justice league unlimited showed heroes that were never given a TV series. Expect a lot from this series, its Marvel you know. Expand
  12. Jan 22, 2014
    This is the kind of show that will continue to get better the longer it is on the air. More characters will get introduced. More in general will happen. Remember how the second X-Men, Spider-Man, and Thor movies were so much better than the first? That’s what will happen with the second season of MAOS.

It may not find it’s groove this season, but it will get there, and you’ll be glad you stuck with it. It would be a waste for this show to get cancelled before it reaches its potential.

Please don’t give up on it.
  13. May 28, 2014
    The first season was anything but predictable. SHIELD has great tie-ins with The Avengers for the comic book geeks, technology and gadgets for the 007 crowd, and great twists to keep everyone else wanting more. The main characters are a bit too defined by archetypal roles, but not so much as to get in the way of good television.
  14. Nov 22, 2014
    Get past the first few boring episodes and the show picks up and delivers. Mid way through season two now and the show in no way is slowing down. Hail Hydra!
  15. Nov 8, 2013
    The show has made huge strides in the last few weeks to make it feel less predictable. I would say that the last episode which had like 2 episodes went from not caring much about Fitz-Simmons to caring deeply about the character. I would like to know more about Agent Mei. She and Coulson are the two most interesting characters in this series. I hope they continue to make huge stridesThe show has made huge strides in the last few weeks to make it feel less predictable. I would say that the last episode which had like 2 episodes went from not caring much about Fitz-Simmons to caring deeply about the character. I would like to know more about Agent Mei. She and Coulson are the two most interesting characters in this series. I hope they continue to make huge strides in the series. Expand
  16. Nov 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really like Marvel's Agents of Shield, because it is very funny and it is filled with emotion and humor an action. I like the last few episodes but the beginning of the series wasn't the best but when I watch a few more episodes It is starting to get way better because the last few episodes had an action and agents they got more serious and it got a lot more cooler. They started to get in skies past and her parents Expand
  17. Nov 22, 2013
    After a shaky start, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is finally hitting it's stride, with characters being fleshed out, and a run of good episodes. Stick through the first few episodes and you'll find this show rewarding, and I've a strong feeling its only going to get better.
  18. Nov 25, 2013
    There is not much more that I can say other than I love this show. The characters are very engaging and well portrayed. The dialogue is wonderful and very witty at times. The pace of the show is just right, keeping you engaged by stretching out the plot, but doesn't take too long on reveals. I really like that they cast such amazing actors, many of them little known rather than findingThere is not much more that I can say other than I love this show. The characters are very engaging and well portrayed. The dialogue is wonderful and very witty at times. The pace of the show is just right, keeping you engaged by stretching out the plot, but doesn't take too long on reveals. I really like that they cast such amazing actors, many of them little known rather than finding well known actors. It can make you laugh one minute and then have you crying the next.

It follows The Avengers very well, making sure the audience knows that it is included in the Marvel universe by references to the characters, as well as incorporating the events of Thor 2. If you loved any of the other movies in the franchise, or are a fan of Marvel then this is the show for you.

My final comment is that Joss Whedon is an amazing director, and I do believe that he has another hit with Agents of SHIELD. I just hope he doesn't kill anyone off too soon.
  19. Apr 3, 2014
    Marvel’s Agents of Shield is far from perfect. Many fans criticized the show for not being “Marvel” enough, however the show is slowly taking viewer’s advice. With Mike Peters becoming Deathlok; Agent Maria Hill, Nick Fury, and Lady Sif making appearances; Donnie Gill from episode 12 becoming a version of Blizzard; Bill Paxton becoming Agent John Garrett; the strange blue alien at the endMarvel’s Agents of Shield is far from perfect. Many fans criticized the show for not being “Marvel” enough, however the show is slowly taking viewer’s advice. With Mike Peters becoming Deathlok; Agent Maria Hill, Nick Fury, and Lady Sif making appearances; Donnie Gill from episode 12 becoming a version of Blizzard; Bill Paxton becoming Agent John Garrett; the strange blue alien at the end of episode 14; and future tie-ins with Marvel movies (like Captain America: The Winter Soldier) the show is genuinely trying to improve. With each passing week, Agents of SHIELD. is becoming a more fully developed show; after many episodes it has finally managed to redeem itself. The show’s characters are generic, to say the least, but they have been changing for the better. I get that fans want to have more Marvel superheroes and stuff in the episodes, and I agree with that, but it’s a bit too much to ask for people like Robert Downey Jr and Scarlet Johansson to appear on the show. Another initial problem with SHIELD was that it had “case of the week”-like episodes. There was no overall story arc (a problem Fox’s Almost Human faced). Now though, there is Centipede and the Clairvoyant.

I liked the references to the Marvel Phase One group of movies with plot elements like Extremis. While I had my doubts when I watched the first episode, I think this show is good now and I now highly recommend it. I think it's better than The Avengers and the show has potential. My only major complaint is that it’s too unrealistic at times, like with the little robots and the flying car at the end of episode one, unlike the Marvel Cinematic Universe which is grounded in reality (for the most part). I also like the plot twists in the episodes and the premises. I think they should merge the Marvel One-Shot "Item 47" with this; that would be cool.
    I personally always liked the show, despite all its faults. I think a big problem was that some people had really high expectations for this show, and those high expectations weren’t met. I get that, because I had high expectations for The Avengers and Iron Man 3, and I was disappointed when they weren’t met. High expectations can ruin otherwise great films/TV shows, so I recommend that if you don’t already—don’t expect too much from this show. If you liked this review, read my other reviews on a wide variety of movies and TV shows by clicking on my name and mark this review as helpful. Remember, every vote counts and I’d really appreciate it.
  20. Mar 24, 2014
    i think its good im enjoying every episode wishing they were longer everything is building up to like when they bring in the heroes and villains its clever funny love all the characters its a good show that doesnt have to have alot of action all the time
  21. Apr 23, 2014
    I am always a little skeptical when watching any show Joss Whedon has anything to do with. Let's just say I didn't like Buffy the Vampire Slayer much. That aside, I enjoyed the premiere but was disappointed by the overall story arc up until the 2 episodes before Winter Soldier came out. The characters are becoming more defined and the actors look much more comfortable with their roles.I am always a little skeptical when watching any show Joss Whedon has anything to do with. Let's just say I didn't like Buffy the Vampire Slayer much. That aside, I enjoyed the premiere but was disappointed by the overall story arc up until the 2 episodes before Winter Soldier came out. The characters are becoming more defined and the actors look much more comfortable with their roles. Now, the show looks like it's firing on all cylinders. Full speed ahead! Expand
  22. May 1, 2014
    I think everyone who's written a negative review stopped watching after the 2nd episode. (Like I did before I binge watched the rest of the episodes purely out of boredom.)

This is one of those shows that got surprisingly better over the course of the season. The plot is pretty amazing and well thought out. (I just wish that they would have gotten to it sooner than episode 4 like they did.) The tie-ins to the (Disney) Marvel cinematic universe is just pure awesomeness and I can see the potential of each season making a reference to the goings on in said universe.

I'm only giving this show a 10 because I don't feel that the User Score of 6.2 is justified with this show. I will be sad if abc cancels because they failed miserably on the first two episodes.

For those of you that stopped watching after the first few episodes, I implore you to get caught up. You will not be disappointed.
  23. Oct 2, 2013
    I was skeptical of this show going in, literally saying to my flatmate as it was downloading: "There's plenty of avenues for this to end up in Suckitude Town." and I found the first moments of dialogue to be dreadfully painful, but then after the first few scenes it hit me. The show is deliberately dancing on both sides of that line that divides cheezy and entertaining in a playfulI was skeptical of this show going in, literally saying to my flatmate as it was downloading: "There's plenty of avenues for this to end up in Suckitude Town." and I found the first moments of dialogue to be dreadfully painful, but then after the first few scenes it hit me. The show is deliberately dancing on both sides of that line that divides cheezy and entertaining in a playful manner when approaching those standard/stereotypical cliched scenes, and I have to say it does it quite brilliantly.

This is not going to be one of those grittier darker Whedon shows that many of us loved, and it can't be given that Marvel is now a "family friendly" franchise so we get something a bit more lighthearted and "fun" that fits an episodic format with a hint of a possibly intriguing story arc (2 episodes in is really to early to tell).

If you came in expecting one thing and didn't get it, obviously you're going to be dissapointed. But if you see it and can appreciate it for what it is it really is pretty enjoyable so far. It gets an 8 from me for the laughs it gave so far and the potential it holds, but I'm really holding judgement for at least a few more episodes.
  24. Nov 13, 2013
    Just bear through the first episode and you'll thank yourself once you watch the second. I love Fitz-Simmons. They are my favorite because of the inside jokes and witty, genius-science remarks they make. The most recent episodes have been incredible so far. The earlier episodes, not so much. I gave this a 10 not because it's an amazing tv show, but because I didn't believe it would turnJust bear through the first episode and you'll thank yourself once you watch the second. I love Fitz-Simmons. They are my favorite because of the inside jokes and witty, genius-science remarks they make. The most recent episodes have been incredible so far. The earlier episodes, not so much. I gave this a 10 not because it's an amazing tv show, but because I didn't believe it would turn into something this good. Joss Whedon is by far my favorite writer ever. Expand
  25. Oct 23, 2013
    In my opinion this is the best new show on television this year. It packs great plot, action, and characters together in a show that ties in excellently with the established film franchise. I also have to give praise to the excellent special effects and fan-service. Everything looks realistic and the constant references to movies like The Avengers, Thor, and Iron Man really makes the fanIn my opinion this is the best new show on television this year. It packs great plot, action, and characters together in a show that ties in excellently with the established film franchise. I also have to give praise to the excellent special effects and fan-service. Everything looks realistic and the constant references to movies like The Avengers, Thor, and Iron Man really makes the fan in me geek out with excitement.

I can't wait to see where they take the show from here, and I hope that maybe we'll see some of the movie characters make it into the show and vise-versa. Overall if you are a fan of Marvel's latest films then I don't see why you wouldn't like this show just as well. The way it ties into the movies alone is enough to make anyone's inner Marvel fan smile. To be honest I couldn't be more impressed with the show.
  26. Nov 8, 2013
    While I originally gave this show a 6, I know give it a 10 because in the long run its very entertaining. It is certainly not perfect, but if you can get past the cheesy one-liners, stereotypical characters, and dialogue you will be able to find this show to be enjoyable. I liked the references to the Marvel Phase One group of movies with plot elements like Extremis. While I had my doubtsWhile I originally gave this show a 6, I know give it a 10 because in the long run its very entertaining. It is certainly not perfect, but if you can get past the cheesy one-liners, stereotypical characters, and dialogue you will be able to find this show to be enjoyable. I liked the references to the Marvel Phase One group of movies with plot elements like Extremis. While I had my doubts when I watched the first episode, I think this show is good and I now highly recommend it. I think it's better than The Avengers and the show has potential. My only major complaint is that its to unrealistic at times, like with the little robots and the flying car at the end of episode one. (Unlike the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which is grounded in reality, for the most part.) I also like the plot twists in the episodes and the premises. I think they should merge the Marvel One-Shot "Item 47" with this; that would be cool.

(P.S, I'm not just some Marvel fanboy either; read my reviews for Iron Man 3 and The Avengers.)

If you liked this review, read my other reviews on a wide variety of movies, TV shows, and videogames by clicking on my name and mark this review as helpful. Every vote counts!
  27. Jan 14, 2014
    While my suspension of disbelief still struggles to accommodate secretive government agents as the good guys and likely always will, I do continue to watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and enjoy it. But as the series progresses, the biggest flaw becomes more and more evident. The dialogue is so compressed, straightforward, and shoehorned in that it leaves no room for the viewer's imaginationWhile my suspension of disbelief still struggles to accommodate secretive government agents as the good guys and likely always will, I do continue to watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and enjoy it. But as the series progresses, the biggest flaw becomes more and more evident. The dialogue is so compressed, straightforward, and shoehorned in that it leaves no room for the viewer's imagination and intuition. As a result, scenes sometimes come across as a little insulting and very manipulative. However, the characters are still developing, so perhaps the dialogue will soon have room to slow down and smooth itself out, leaving room for both more of Whedon's trademark wit and for the intelligence of the viewer. Expand
  28. Sep 24, 2013
    So far, "Marvel's Agents of Shield" is enticing, if a bit lackluster. The flow and pacing of the show feels very similar to "The Avengers", and the plot runs smoothly, but some of the dialogue is unrealistic, and a few characters feel shallow and stock. However, there's enough solid humor and intense action, as well as plot hooks, to keep viewers coming back for more.
  29. Sep 25, 2013
    I'm so glad to see Joss back on TV! My only concern is common folk don't appreciate his humor. Which was classic Whedon!
    If he can control a pace of twists it could work. But cramming all that stuff in the first episode is gonna make mainstream confused and lack comprehension. Out of all people he should know that wont work for ratings.
    Loved the pilot!!!! Great hour and I fracking
    Loved the pilot!!!!
    Great hour and I fracking thought it was amazing.
    Anything Mr. Whedon does is always a joy to participate in.
  30. Sep 24, 2013
    Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is a fun and faithful addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The pilot episode contains loads of Easter eggs that are sure to be appreciated by old-school comics fans and newer MCU fans alike. Joss Whedon is a master lore builder, deftly laying the foundation for another fan favorite. It's genuinely funny, imaginative and well paced. And the cool-factorMarvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is a fun and faithful addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The pilot episode contains loads of Easter eggs that are sure to be appreciated by old-school comics fans and newer MCU fans alike. Joss Whedon is a master lore builder, deftly laying the foundation for another fan favorite. It's genuinely funny, imaginative and well paced. And the cool-factor of having a television show that ties into one of the most successful movie franchises of all time is off the charts. I'll definitely be sticking with this one. Expand
  31. Oct 20, 2013
    I'm loving this show! It's got all that special Whedon quirkiness that fans have come to love and look forward to. Plus plenty of references and tie-ins to the movies that I am just adoring, throw in a Stan Lee cameo and I'll be squealing. People who are bashing this show, in my view, seem to not really understand Joss Whedon's style, and can't seem to appreciate it for what it is. Yes itI'm loving this show! It's got all that special Whedon quirkiness that fans have come to love and look forward to. Plus plenty of references and tie-ins to the movies that I am just adoring, throw in a Stan Lee cameo and I'll be squealing. People who are bashing this show, in my view, seem to not really understand Joss Whedon's style, and can't seem to appreciate it for what it is. Yes it can't measure up to the movies, nor is it trying to, the show should be considered its own product that's doing well considering what its related. And its not fair to make a comparison between the show and the movies, the movies have budgets of 10's of millions of dollars, tv works with substantially less. And one more thing, why is everyone complaining about the the flying car? That scene was really cool, troped yes, but cool all the same. And furthermore it ties in with the movies, if you recall in Captain America during the technology expo Howard Stark revealed a prototype flying car, it's quite likely that Coleson's car uses the same technology making it a great tie-in with the movies. Expand
  32. Oct 9, 2013
    It's lighthearted fun in the same vein as Avengers. It's typical Joss Whedon fare with a small ensemble of uniquely different characters who somehow find a way to come together to accomplish things. I'm not exactly sure what people (Whedon fans in particular) have against the quarky/humor-laden writing in S.H.I.E.L.D. considering how Firefly was EXACTLY the same. I remember people panningIt's lighthearted fun in the same vein as Avengers. It's typical Joss Whedon fare with a small ensemble of uniquely different characters who somehow find a way to come together to accomplish things. I'm not exactly sure what people (Whedon fans in particular) have against the quarky/humor-laden writing in S.H.I.E.L.D. considering how Firefly was EXACTLY the same. I remember people panning Firefly for not taking itself serious.. But that's just what Whedon does and it worked for Avengers. For me, its just a fun show that I know my family will be able to enjoylike avengers. Its no breaking bad/walking dead but its trying to be. If all S.H.I.E.L.D. does is promote marvel and kkeep people somewhat engaged and thinking about MARVEL until the next movie than it has served a purpose. Expand
  33. Apr 22, 2015
    Like all new series, it started off just slightly creaky as the main characters find "themselves"; the special effects originally were a solid "B" or "B+" - definitely not Game of Thrones quality - but the writing was phenomenal, and keeps you guessing over and over. The actors found themselves (and it's a nice mix of newer and experienced talent), the fx budget improved, and the writingLike all new series, it started off just slightly creaky as the main characters find "themselves"; the special effects originally were a solid "B" or "B+" - definitely not Game of Thrones quality - but the writing was phenomenal, and keeps you guessing over and over. The actors found themselves (and it's a nice mix of newer and experienced talent), the fx budget improved, and the writing has become even better. It's just so much fun, so well done, and you really begin to care for the characters, and some of the scenes are heartbreaking. It's a great mix of action, dialogue, and fantasy. Expand
  34. Apr 28, 2014
    I was one of many negative reviewers to begin with.. Sorry to say, and apologies to the people who star and make this show. The things that I complained about initially either grew on me or repaired themselves. In short watch this show past the first 5 or 6 episodes and you have something good on your hands. As for how "un-Marvel this show seems at first becomes very Marvel the more youI was one of many negative reviewers to begin with.. Sorry to say, and apologies to the people who star and make this show. The things that I complained about initially either grew on me or repaired themselves. In short watch this show past the first 5 or 6 episodes and you have something good on your hands. As for how "un-Marvel this show seems at first becomes very Marvel the more you watch it.
    I decided to give this show another chance after my friend carried on watching it where as I gave up in the first few episodes, and all she said was good things about it. Glad I listened.
    Lets hope us former "haters" haven't spoiled the chances for a season 2 and beyond.
  35. May 2, 2014
    It is almost the end of the season and I am very addicted. Joss and Marvel are a great combination!

What is funny is I looked at the bad reviews for this season and pretty much all are in Sept / Oct. This is the classic curse of Joss. He spends the first several episodes establishing characters and giving them depth but most people don't want that, they was action action action. Well the patients for the die hard fans has paid off because the entire second half of the season is full of it. So many plot twists and "didn't see that coming" and "they did what?" going on it is great.

If you watched only the first few episodes, you owe it to yourself to try one of the more recent ones, you might be surprised at the results.
  36. Oct 19, 2013
    The show is one of the better shows on tv this fall! I love the special effects, there is just the right amount so it looks realistic. I love the references to the marvel movies, but the show does not depend on them and the ones that it does depend on are explained for viewers who have yet to see the movies. However, the plot can be cheesy, cliche, and predictable at times.
  37. Dec 4, 2013
    Whilst the pilot was intriguing I found the first few episodes a little weak, however with each subsequent episode the show continues to improve and find it's feet. Do not expect the Avengers or you will be disappointed, but this show is one to watch.
  38. Dec 11, 2013
    This show gets better the more I watch it. The stories often take unexpected turns, usually in a good and interesting way. It has variety of characters; it's nice that not everyone has the same personality. It has a lot of cliffhangers, which always makes me anxious to see the next episode.
  39. Apr 20, 2014
    Now that it's broken free of its former episodic format and moved on to continuous story a la Lost, this show's gotten so much better. If you can make it past the first six or so episodes, you'll find a much better show than the one you began with.
  40. Jan 15, 2014
    Show took time to build but it looks to be finding its footing after exploring all their characters and piecing each of them together. Story arcs are coming full circle and the show has become very intriguing. Understand what the writers are trying to do as they take time in developing their cast and making them shine when they ought to. The show runners know what they are doing and knowShow took time to build but it looks to be finding its footing after exploring all their characters and piecing each of them together. Story arcs are coming full circle and the show has become very intriguing. Understand what the writers are trying to do as they take time in developing their cast and making them shine when they ought to. The show runners know what they are doing and know where they are headed. This isn't some in your face show where everything is obvious and you just enjoy the ride. This is a well fleshed out story where different people are brought together and find that you can't always do things on your own. When times are tough, you have to lean on your allies. But that doesn't mean all of your allies are good. Expand
  41. Jan 15, 2014
    Thank God Joss Whedon has a show going again. Following his standard story arch, mid season of season 1 is when it gets interesting. After tonight my full confidence is behind the show.

If you're not familiar with Joss Whedon's work, give it a season and you will see what a master can do. I don't give praise lightly, and I can't give enough to Joss. Thank you for coming back to TV.
  42. Feb 5, 2014
    Good pilot, first episodes a little weak, but from the sixth/seventh episode onwards was a revelation and now it keeps getting better and better! Characters are becoming very interesting too.
  43. May 13, 2014
    Marvels Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - It started slow and for a time, I drifted away from it. But as I caught back up with the show, I was slowly but surely being attracted to it. It has been getting better and better ever since. I look forward to the season finale and season two.
  44. Sep 24, 2013
    I thought it was a solid start to a series. The character dialogue and story moved at a super fast pace but I guess it almost has to to be crammed into an hour slot. The guy who played the "hero" did a real good job and was the most interesting character. Looking forward to see how the series develops.
  45. Sep 26, 2013
    Watch this show. It's entertaining, the characters are awesome and the story has a lot of potential.

Also, the writing was impressive. I was expecting another typical superhero show, but really the writing made this shine.
  46. Sep 28, 2013
    great show was everything I expected nice to see marvel on TV again and it's great to have joss running the show acting was great and the comedy was smooth
  47. Sep 26, 2013
    Absolutely terrific! Great pace, awesome visuals, a lot of references to the geek world and the Marvel Universe.

Agent Coulson is such a great character!

Whedon NAILED IT!
  48. Nov 17, 2013
    SHIELD is increasingly achieving what it is intended to do for its fan base.

SHIELD is increasingly achieving what it is intended to do for its fan base.

It is delivering on both the graphic novel/comic book and long-arc plot genres. It has action, tech, emotions and romantic overtures that other programs can only hope for. It can appeal to a range of demographics. From a arc perspective, each week pulls back the curtain on tech gee wiz (the plane hover!), character back-story and undercurrents (internal SHIELD intrigue and villains).

Balance is difficult. Unfolding too fast and superficial would disappoint core fans hungering for depth. Too slow will make it more difficult to engage new-comers. Some criticize for insufficient tie from episode to episode. Yet, how many times have series failed by being so serialized, new-comers can't easily join in?

Stress is on the strengths. As the storyline unfolds it's generally getting better and planting seeds for a rich list of future episodes. While I have my favorite episodes (6 & 7 were especially strong in many ways compared to the pilot), mostly would be delighted to be a fly on the wall in the writing room to see the chemistry that produces the scripts and inspired the casting. Recall, it was the writing team and Clark Gregg that breathed life into Phil Coulson a character not in the the Marvel canon. That's a fan accomplishment.

Consider the business model. ABC's, really Disney's, commitment to the franchise and excellent track record in managing such franchises, gives SHIELD runway to unfold in this balanced way that could weave together the movies and games for years to come. Too many reviewers emphasize the number drop without realizing numbers are still respectable and the integrated business model might be quite respectable including the Verizon tag-on. SHIELD's demographics also are pleasing buyers for key advertisers.
  49. Oct 1, 2013
    The show is great in my opinion. Good balance with humor and action. I was expecting a good TV SHOW not a good MOVIE and thats exactly what I got! Oh and for those who find the flying car too over the top, it is seen at the world fair scene of the captain America movie as one of Mr stark's attempted inventions, so that to was an Easter egg. Learn the facts before rolling your eyes. Great show!
  50. Oct 2, 2013
    perfect. It is an amazing show, from the first episode, great for those who hadn't watched the Marvel movies, great acting, lots of mystery and tonnes of reason to continue watching!
  51. Sep 24, 2013
    Great pilot, delicious teasers, more than a few nods to the Marvel movie history. There is just enough CGI to be interesting and the ratio of reality and fantasy is perfect to keep you immersed and enamored.

And the casting, of course, is just perfect.
  52. Sep 29, 2013
    this series is quiet good, I don't get why there are a lot of negative scores for the series (user scores),
    I loved the pilot episode, the plot wasn't that series and that interesting, but I loved it, what I loved most was all of the references to the movies, in a normal situation I whould give it a 8.5/10 but because there are a lot of negative scores I whould give it a 10, its not breaking bad, but if you a fan of the films, it could be very good.
  53. Sep 28, 2013
    Esta serie será una de mis favoritas. Me encantó el primer episodio. Los efectos especiales están bien. Espero que a medida que avance la serie se vayan incorporando nuevos personajes y que la historia siga poniéndose interesante.
  54. Oct 6, 2013
    Slightly cheesy to begin with, but it looks promising looks like it can improve over the course of the season. It's not excellent, by no means, as it is a television show therefore the scale of the budget isn't as big or as good as the Marvel films. The little references to the Marvel Film Universe are nice to see but I'm wondering how it is going to work alongside the film universe!Slightly cheesy to begin with, but it looks promising looks like it can improve over the course of the season. It's not excellent, by no means, as it is a television show therefore the scale of the budget isn't as big or as good as the Marvel films. The little references to the Marvel Film Universe are nice to see but I'm wondering how it is going to work alongside the film universe! We're just going to have to wait every week. Expand
  55. Apr 19, 2014
    A very good show. It started off very well, but I lost interest about half way through because the story didn't seem to be going anywhere. Towards the end it gets much better with more plot twists, character development, and connections to the MARVEL movies. It's filled with action and drama.
  56. Apr 27, 2014
    Whatever you do, do not judge this show by the first few episodes. I did, and found later that was a grave mistake. The first eight or so episodes are slow, and feel unimportant in comparison to the larger scale of the movies this show shares a universe with. However, it was in the season's mid-section things started to greatly improve. Of course, Agent Coulson is a major draw, but atWhatever you do, do not judge this show by the first few episodes. I did, and found later that was a grave mistake. The first eight or so episodes are slow, and feel unimportant in comparison to the larger scale of the movies this show shares a universe with. However, it was in the season's mid-section things started to greatly improve. Of course, Agent Coulson is a major draw, but at first glance, the other characters seem bland with cookie-cutter love triangles surrounding them. However, it was around the ninth or so episode that it started to truly show progress. Not only was it getting more exciting, but it also began to focus more on the real reason we all started watching this show: Marvel, and Coulson. Coulson's character becomes more fleshed out, and the mystery of his death and resurrection become increasingly more interesting with every reveal. Not only that, but more and more characters from the comics begin to appear, such as Victoria Hand and Lorelei, character who, while important, wouldn't necessarily get their own movies. Not only that, but several villains from the comics get their origin stories and begin to make appearances, along with characters from the movies like Sif and Jasper Sitwell. The characters we know become far more interesting as time goes on, from the ones who appear bland to the ones you already have started to like. As for those filler episodes at the beginning, focusing on a rather boring story macguffins, all of them turned out to be leading to a fascinating end game as the season went on. As for how it ties into the movies, the shows Thor: The Dark World tie-in felt like it didn't really tie in. Just mentions of Asgard and the title character were pretty disappointing, but what was surprising was the way it handled the tie-in to Captain America: The Winter Soldier. It was outstandingly well done, and really felt like the two had an impact on each other. It wasn't just a one off tie-in either. The events of the film have had major repercussions for the TV show, leading to an entire overhaul of the plotline, including some surprisingly unexpected plot twists that this show used brilliantly. Without spoiling either the show or the movie, let's just say that it truly makes this show feel like it belongs in the universe, standing proudly on its own two feet, without a need for random references to the Stark Tower of Thor. What is the moral of this story? Give this show a chance. If you have the opportunity to binge watch every episode, go for it. By the time you are caught up, you may find it was some time well spent in a universe as big as its comic book predecessors. Expand
  57. Oct 1, 2013
    Love it. It had action, lots of new ideas, and references to the marvel universe. The characters are pretty well defined and I think the nerd duo will work well after a while, but my favorite was the Black Ops guy. I hope the hawk shows up in the show, because he is one of my favorite agents. Every pilot has some bugs, but this one was one of the better pilots I've seen for a show.
  58. Sep 27, 2013
    One of my favorite fall tv show so far. Such a brilliant show and it just makes sense that Coulson should not die. Clark Gregg will always be apart of the marvel universe, even if he's not the superhero but he is still a hero to people. Chloe Bennet as Skye is funny. Not bad to look at either. Definitely will tune in more of this show.
  59. Sep 29, 2013
    Not that bad, but I get the feeling that this show was conceived as a commercial for Marvel and not much else. However despite this it feels kinda real and the characters are okay. The factors that drag it down are it's low budget and the fact that it does not know if it wants to be a funny family movie or a serious action/adventure movie.
  60. Feb 8, 2014
    The show is engaging and taking real time to develop new characters. There are plots and twists around every bend as is pretty typical of a Joss Whedon vehicle. Currently, they've really tightened up the story arc while not laying all the cards on the table. I love Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and eagerly wait for Tuesdays, despairing of the long breaks between critical episodes.The show is engaging and taking real time to develop new characters. There are plots and twists around every bend as is pretty typical of a Joss Whedon vehicle. Currently, they've really tightened up the story arc while not laying all the cards on the table. I love Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and eagerly wait for Tuesdays, despairing of the long breaks between critical episodes.

Those folks who want more superheroes obviously can't read a synopsis since this show is about the regular people who exist in the background as personified by Agent Coulson. It's taken time for me to grow to love all the team, but I have and I don't miss the Avengers one bit. I wanted a show about the behind the scenes, about the lives of agents, and that's what we're getting.
  61. Feb 4, 2014
    It started out a little weak but more than made up for it in later episodes. Plot is gripping with plot twists in every episode. Characters early in the season were a bit weak, but have grown on me since. And the humor helps lighten the mood. All around one of the best TV shows I've seen.
  62. May 11, 2014
    I love this show because it is FUN: Action, suspense, relationship development, clever writing, humor, lovable and engaging characters. Greatly amusing from the very start. I can't wait to see it every week!
  63. Jun 9, 2014
    Set in the Marvel universe, Agents of SHIELD is a fun science-fiction spy series featuring plenty of likeable and interesting characters. Chloe Bennet's Skye in particular is a engaging character, as is Coulson; both who have a great sense of mystery centered around them. Another character that shines is Elizabeth Henstridge's Simmons; a geeky scientist who either has met the Doctor fromSet in the Marvel universe, Agents of SHIELD is a fun science-fiction spy series featuring plenty of likeable and interesting characters. Chloe Bennet's Skye in particular is a engaging character, as is Coulson; both who have a great sense of mystery centered around them. Another character that shines is Elizabeth Henstridge's Simmons; a geeky scientist who either has met the Doctor from Doctor Who or is a Whovian.

The writing is strong throughout, which is hardly surprising judging by The Avengers. Everything about the show, in fact, is strong. Apart from one thing: Lola.

Coulson's flying car is rarely used and comes across as a wasted plot device. What's the point in it being there if it serves little purpose in the series? It's largely unnecessary and should either be used more or dropped from the show.
  64. Oct 2, 2014
    The first few episodes made me want to give this series a lower score. The actors are pretty decent, but it seems as though the writers of the show were continually struggling to find something interesting to bring to the audience. As the end result, they seemed to pull a lot of cliched ideas, and tossed in some cameos when it didn't seem all that appropriate. Don't get me wrong though,The first few episodes made me want to give this series a lower score. The actors are pretty decent, but it seems as though the writers of the show were continually struggling to find something interesting to bring to the audience. As the end result, they seemed to pull a lot of cliched ideas, and tossed in some cameos when it didn't seem all that appropriate. Don't get me wrong though, its not as though the first few episodes were bad (heck, I found them plenty more interesting than the Walking Dead series), but they were certainly far from standing up to the big marvel movies.

The second half of the season made me increase the score. The episodes were deep with story and plot, blended fairly well with the movies, jammed packed with action, and the characters developed further. It kept my interest, and allowed me to be continue watching.

I think a lot of the disappointment that comes with the show is that it is a shadow of what the movies are. The show isn't really about superheroes. It's about ordinary people (granted, with some high tech gadgets) living in a world of superheroes. This makes story writing a challenge, and would probably explain why the first few episodes seemed a bit bland. Yeah, there are a lot of cheesy parts in the series, but there are also a lot of wittier parts as well with some well thought out ideas.

Oh and Phil Coulson has to be the most badass smiley guy in a suit in television/movie history. The show isn't for everyone, but I think it's entertaining enough if you give it the chance.
  65. Nov 16, 2014
    The first season lacked quite a bit when the show started out but it was still quite good and had the classic Whedon feel to it and is better than most people give it credit for. Thankfully the second season doesn't need me to defend it because that's where the show proves to everyone it knows what it's doing and does a great job in making the show one of Whedon's best.
  66. Nov 30, 2013
    An enjoyable show but so far it seems too procedural to me. If you're missing an episode usually you don't miss much. Sure there are signs that there's something bigger going on but most episodes don't relate to that storyline. If Agents of Shield wants to keep its ratings on a decent level then I think it needs to rely less on standalone-episodes. There would be a lot potential here. AndAn enjoyable show but so far it seems too procedural to me. If you're missing an episode usually you don't miss much. Sure there are signs that there's something bigger going on but most episodes don't relate to that storyline. If Agents of Shield wants to keep its ratings on a decent level then I think it needs to rely less on standalone-episodes. There would be a lot potential here. And maybe put conflicts between the main characters more in the center. Expand
  67. Nov 25, 2013
    A good show. But it has some missteps. And that's coming from a guy who has only seen 3 episodes. I didn't see the first 6 or so. I'll catch up later.
  68. May 25, 2015
    A lot of people didn’t like the show until Captain America: The Winter Solider’s events impacted the show. Honestly, as I was catching up to the show, I enjoyed the show already from the second episode. However, it was understandable why many people didn’t like the show because the first couple of episodes felt more of a procedural. However, I am glad those episodes helped establish theA lot of people didn’t like the show until Captain America: The Winter Solider’s events impacted the show. Honestly, as I was catching up to the show, I enjoyed the show already from the second episode. However, it was understandable why many people didn’t like the show because the first couple of episodes felt more of a procedural. However, I am glad those episodes helped establish the characters because by the time I reached the post Winter Solider episodes, my feels were leaked.

The cast performances in the show are actually great and I would totally disagree with the people who think the acting in the show is bad. All of the main cast played their roles so well that they became icons for Marvel Cinematic Universe nerds like me. However, the ones who had the best performances are Clark Gregg and Chloe Bennett as Phil Coulson and Skye respectively.

The arcs in this season were excellently executed and well-planned. I liked how the arcs had satisfying answers yet asks more questions about the same arc in the next season. I also liked how everything that has happened in the show is tracked back to one thing which I won’t spoil even though it’s already a year since the first season ended by the time I posted this review.

The character development has made me care about the characters and even though some of the characters were not given much development until the Winter Solider’s events that impacted the show, it helps to relate to those characters because those characters, especially FitzSimmons will have a bigger, much more emotional character development in the next season in which I am currently catching up by the time I posted this review.

The first season of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. may not be everyone’s favorite but this season is totally underrated and I suggest that everyone who is considering watching this show to be patient with the filler episodes because it’s going to be worth it when you watch the episode that has turned the show around.
  69. Aug 4, 2014
    A fun Action packed marvel tv show that balances action humor and drama. Agents of Sheild is not perfect but it is a fun watchable TV show.

my ratting 7.2/10
  70. Sep 26, 2014
    I will let the rating speak for itself.I will let the rating speak for itself. AWESOME! Expand
  71. May 30, 2015
    This show started out incredibly rough. But about halfway through the season, the show started improving with some cool action and an interesting, developing plot. Everything gradually improves overtime throughout the season and it's worth watching to see where things will go.
  72. Tui
    Dec 29, 2014
    Marvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is a captivating series, engulfing viewers in a flux of intricate plots and subplots. This excellent TV Show allows us glimpses into the obscurities of S.H.I.E.L.D and provides light to some major questions of its workings. A must watch for comic book fans and anybody else looking for good TV.
  73. Feb 7, 2015
    I think the 1st season got really good around the end, but at the beginning it was just OK. I personally liked all of the episodes, but did felt like some of them were either pointless or a bit boring. However, when watching a show like "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.", you shouldn't try and compare it to the Marvel Cinematic Universe films. If you do, this show is inferior, by far. Just remember,I think the 1st season got really good around the end, but at the beginning it was just OK. I personally liked all of the episodes, but did felt like some of them were either pointless or a bit boring. However, when watching a show like "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.", you shouldn't try and compare it to the Marvel Cinematic Universe films. If you do, this show is inferior, by far. Just remember, this series is about agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., not superheroes. Expand
  74. May 30, 2015
    There's a lot of reviews from 2013 here. This has slowly become the best show on TV. It's FUN. Not realistic, not shocking (although there are is a great story, full of twists and surprises), it's not gritty or gory or anything like that. It's fun, and there isn't enough of that on TV. They have a great trend of taking things you may find unconvincing or even weak, and turning it on itsThere's a lot of reviews from 2013 here. This has slowly become the best show on TV. It's FUN. Not realistic, not shocking (although there are is a great story, full of twists and surprises), it's not gritty or gory or anything like that. It's fun, and there isn't enough of that on TV. They have a great trend of taking things you may find unconvincing or even weak, and turning it on its head, using any potential weakness as a strength... which is a stunning habit to have in a show! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gregg has a deadpan ease that makes the engine purr. And his team is good-looking and stamped with just enough personality and humor: Without killing the fun, they ground the show. [14 Oct 2013, p.43]
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Greenfield
    Oct 3, 2013
    The show has a sound concept.... But the script, by Joss, Jed and Tancharoen, with Joss directing, is a mite too pleased with itself.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Sep 26, 2013
    There’s actually not a single weak link in the cast. The weakness of the premiere comes down to plotting. There’s a slightly melodramatic arc involving a commentary on the current economic state of the country.