• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 24, 2013
Season #: 1, 2
6.5

1. Sep 28, 2013
    Watching T Avengers and then watching this is like one day eating lobster and then the next day eating a 99p microwaveable fish pie. Completely let down by its Hammy dialogue and un-engaging characters. Hard to believe this was made by Joss Whedon. What a disappointment.
  2. Oct 22, 2013
    While this series may have gotten off to a slow and frankly rather disappointing start, I feel that it's definitely beginning to develop its somewhat two-dimensional characters, and is definitely showing signs of more interesting if not intricate plots. The dialogue is still a little cheesy and clunky after S01E04, but to me it is definitely still an improvement from the pilot episode,While this series may have gotten off to a slow and frankly rather disappointing start, I feel that it's definitely beginning to develop its somewhat two-dimensional characters, and is definitely showing signs of more interesting if not intricate plots. The dialogue is still a little cheesy and clunky after S01E04, but to me it is definitely still an improvement from the pilot episode, which contained far too many cliches and bland plotting. In terms of their acting, I must admit, maybe with the exception of Ming Na Wen and Clark Gregg, is still currently sub par to me, even taking into account their short filming time. That was one of its down sides for me.

It may not be the agents of shield many were expecting, frankly it wasn't the one I was expecting either, but at its current trajectory, I can definitely see it going to greater heights.

I recommend watching it, and sticking with it for a while longer, before judging it again
  3. Nov 8, 2013
    First episodes were a bit boring but it gets better and better! Keep watching, I'm glad I did.
    I really like the little references to other Marvel movies. Skye is awesome!
  4. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The worst thing you can do when watching this show EVER is expect movie budget and super heroes.
    None were advertised, you know what you're going in to, don't the show is really badass.
    First episodes was okay, kicked off the series, second episode was ...Irrelevant, might as well not exist.
    And the third episode ...Holy that was so amazing.
    As I said, the show is called Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. so you already know what it's about, expecting a ton of super heroes and super villains (All thought we already saw Graviton) then you're better off watching the movies alone and figuring out the references by yourself.
  5. Nov 23, 2014
    I'm RE-REviewing this season.

The episodes Prior to the avengers easily deserve a 4-5. They were mneh at best, with a couple stand out moments.

Yet post CA:TWS? In-CREDIBLE. WAY TO GO DISNEY! You ROCKED IT!
  6. Mar 29, 2014
    The cast may be ever so slightly inadequate and the plotting seems confused (like it can't decide what it is) and melodramatic. Yet, it's complaisant viewing and it has an undeniably sweet feel about it, as it really is just convivial fun perfect for a family viewing, since it has eye candy, inconsequential violence, stomach-clenching action and a witty script.
  7. Nov 13, 2013
    While the show's premise isn't what everyone is expecting and its slow development in its first few episodes, the show gets interesting week by week and the viewers just needs to be patient and realize that this show is about S.H.I.E.L.D. itself, not The Avengers.
  8. Oct 29, 2013
    Well go figure Marvel! Marvel's new show Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D looks so surprising for any Marvel fans, or any Comic Book Guys. It follows The Avengers footsteps and it brought Agent Coulson's return.
  9. Oct 12, 2013
    I was expecting so much from the first episode well because it's MARVEL but i wasn't impressed so i gave it another chance well because it's MARVEL and i'm glad i gave it a second shot because the second episode showed more story-lines, more action, more adventure, and definitely more charm between some characters! the third episode took place on yet another country which is what's soI was expecting so much from the first episode well because it's MARVEL but i wasn't impressed so i gave it another chance well because it's MARVEL and i'm glad i gave it a second shot because the second episode showed more story-lines, more action, more adventure, and definitely more charm between some characters! the third episode took place on yet another country which is what's so great about this show.. it is very adventerous and action packed! well done Joss Whedon Expand
  10. May 14, 2014
    It took a while to get off the ground. The first half of the season was very hit and miss but the second half was very good. It still isn't the best show in the world, but the Captain America crossover during the season's second half brought a lot to the show. It's worth watching if you can get past the first ten so-so episodes.
  11. Apr 15, 2014
    Being a huge fan of Marvel Movies how could I turn down a show named Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I was a little disappointed in the first few episodes and almost stopped watching it, but I'm glad I hung in there. Around the 5th and 6th episode it really started to pick up and hasn't disappointed. The show has been action packed with kick ass agents, powerful villains and weapons,Being a huge fan of Marvel Movies how could I turn down a show named Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I was a little disappointed in the first few episodes and almost stopped watching it, but I'm glad I hung in there. Around the 5th and 6th episode it really started to pick up and hasn't disappointed. The show has been action packed with kick ass agents, powerful villains and weapons, also I'm glad the writers incorporated Asgardians in a few of their episodes and now Hydra characters (villains/agents). This show has definitely been worth the wait and the watch. Expand
  12. Nov 6, 2013
    This series has slowly been picking up steam after a up-and-down beginning to the season. The characters are developing over time (as one would expect), and the situations are becoming more and more dynamic. As for the acting, it is uneven, but Clark Gregg is really a tent pole for the cast. His performance alone is worth the watching. Too many would-be critics wrote this show off far too quickly.
  13. Apr 12, 2014
    I agree the show was real slow and very off topic on the first 10 episodes, but you always have to let a show pick up so it can get with the flow. To many people rated it badly off the bat because its not what they wanted it to be. When you give a new experimental show some time it will show its colors soon enough. After episode 10 the show really is making much more sense of things. andI agree the show was real slow and very off topic on the first 10 episodes, but you always have to let a show pick up so it can get with the flow. To many people rated it badly off the bat because its not what they wanted it to be. When you give a new experimental show some time it will show its colors soon enough. After episode 10 the show really is making much more sense of things. and showing backgrounds into some of marvels other heroes and villains, like Deathlok. I find this as a great idea, like how justice league unlimited showed heroes that were never given a TV series. Expect a lot from this series, its Marvel you know. Expand
  14. Jan 22, 2014
    This is the kind of show that will continue to get better the longer it is on the air. More characters will get introduced. More in general will happen. Remember how the second X-Men, Spider-Man, and Thor movies were so much better than the first? That’s what will happen with the second season of MAOS.

It may not find it’s groove this season, but it will get there, and you’ll be glad you stuck with it. It would be a waste for this show to get cancelled before it reaches its potential.

Please don’t give up on it.
  15. May 28, 2014
    The first season was anything but predictable. SHIELD has great tie-ins with The Avengers for the comic book geeks, technology and gadgets for the 007 crowd, and great twists to keep everyone else wanting more. The main characters are a bit too defined by archetypal roles, but not so much as to get in the way of good television.
  16. Nov 22, 2014
    Get past the first few boring episodes and the show picks up and delivers. Mid way through season two now and the show in no way is slowing down. Hail Hydra!
  17. Nov 8, 2013
    The show has made huge strides in the last few weeks to make it feel less predictable. I would say that the last episode which had like 2 episodes went from not caring much about Fitz-Simmons to caring deeply about the character. I would like to know more about Agent Mei. She and Coulson are the two most interesting characters in this series. I hope they continue to make huge stridesThe show has made huge strides in the last few weeks to make it feel less predictable. I would say that the last episode which had like 2 episodes went from not caring much about Fitz-Simmons to caring deeply about the character. I would like to know more about Agent Mei. She and Coulson are the two most interesting characters in this series. I hope they continue to make huge strides in the series. Expand
  18. Oct 9, 2013
    I really wanted to like this show, but it reminds me of Terra Nova. A lot of promise, but never delivers and instead has a cheesy plot line, poor CGI, bad acting and limited presence of what people thought they would see. In the case of Terra Nova, people wanted to see dinosaurs. In AOS, people are expecting to see B-line superheroes and villians....instead we get a mis-matched group of nobodies.
  19. Oct 2, 2013
    It's really, really stupid. The cheese factor is unbearably high, the acting is bad, the dialogue is bad, the visuals are overdone. The jokes aren't funny, and the plot is boring. There's nothing at all about the first episode which makes me want to watch the second..
  20. Oct 12, 2013
    I honestly can't believe this show is getting "generally favorable" reviews. It is sub-par on every single level. Terrible acting, bland characters, cringe-worthy dialogue, and a plot worthy of some forgettable CSI-type police procedural. This doesn't even measure up to Heroes, let alone the excellent movies Marvel has been putting out. Huge disappointment. Definitely not worth your time.
  21. Oct 7, 2013
    This series is really silly and should be on a kids channel and not prime time television. I just can't understand the good reviews it received from critics.
  22. Nov 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really like Marvel's Agents of Shield, because it is very funny and it is filled with emotion and humor an action. I like the last few episodes but the beginning of the series wasn't the best but when I watch a few more episodes It is starting to get way better because the last few episodes had an action and agents they got more serious and it got a lot more cooler. They started to get in skies past and her parents Expand
  23. Nov 22, 2013
    After a shaky start, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is finally hitting it's stride, with characters being fleshed out, and a run of good episodes. Stick through the first few episodes and you'll find this show rewarding, and I've a strong feeling its only going to get better.
  24. Nov 25, 2013
    There is not much more that I can say other than I love this show. The characters are very engaging and well portrayed. The dialogue is wonderful and very witty at times. The pace of the show is just right, keeping you engaged by stretching out the plot, but doesn't take too long on reveals. I really like that they cast such amazing actors, many of them little known rather than findingThere is not much more that I can say other than I love this show. The characters are very engaging and well portrayed. The dialogue is wonderful and very witty at times. The pace of the show is just right, keeping you engaged by stretching out the plot, but doesn't take too long on reveals. I really like that they cast such amazing actors, many of them little known rather than finding well known actors. It can make you laugh one minute and then have you crying the next.

It follows The Avengers very well, making sure the audience knows that it is included in the Marvel universe by references to the characters, as well as incorporating the events of Thor 2. If you loved any of the other movies in the franchise, or are a fan of Marvel then this is the show for you.

My final comment is that Joss Whedon is an amazing director, and I do believe that he has another hit with Agents of SHIELD. I just hope he doesn't kill anyone off too soon.
  25. Apr 3, 2014
    Marvel’s Agents of Shield is far from perfect. Many fans criticized the show for not being “Marvel” enough, however the show is slowly taking viewer’s advice. With Mike Peters becoming Deathlok; Agent Maria Hill, Nick Fury, and Lady Sif making appearances; Donnie Gill from episode 12 becoming a version of Blizzard; Bill Paxton becoming Agent John Garrett; the strange blue alien at the endMarvel’s Agents of Shield is far from perfect. Many fans criticized the show for not being “Marvel” enough, however the show is slowly taking viewer’s advice. With Mike Peters becoming Deathlok; Agent Maria Hill, Nick Fury, and Lady Sif making appearances; Donnie Gill from episode 12 becoming a version of Blizzard; Bill Paxton becoming Agent John Garrett; the strange blue alien at the end of episode 14; and future tie-ins with Marvel movies (like Captain America: The Winter Soldier) the show is genuinely trying to improve. With each passing week, Agents of SHIELD. is becoming a more fully developed show; after many episodes it has finally managed to redeem itself. The show’s characters are generic, to say the least, but they have been changing for the better. I get that fans want to have more Marvel superheroes and stuff in the episodes, and I agree with that, but it’s a bit too much to ask for people like Robert Downey Jr and Scarlet Johansson to appear on the show. Another initial problem with SHIELD was that it had “case of the week”-like episodes. There was no overall story arc (a problem Fox’s Almost Human faced). Now though, there is Centipede and the Clairvoyant.

I liked the references to the Marvel Phase One group of movies with plot elements like Extremis. While I had my doubts when I watched the first episode, I think this show is good now and I now highly recommend it. I think it's better than The Avengers and the show has potential. My only major complaint is that it’s too unrealistic at times, like with the little robots and the flying car at the end of episode one, unlike the Marvel Cinematic Universe which is grounded in reality (for the most part). I also like the plot twists in the episodes and the premises. I think they should merge the Marvel One-Shot "Item 47" with this; that would be cool.
    I personally always liked the show, despite all its faults. I think a big problem was that some people had really high expectations for this show, and those high expectations weren’t met. I get that, because I had high expectations for The Avengers and Iron Man 3, and I was disappointed when they weren’t met. High expectations can ruin otherwise great films/TV shows, so I recommend that if you don’t already—don’t expect too much from this show. If you liked this review, read my other reviews on a wide variety of movies and TV shows by clicking on my name and mark this review as helpful. Remember, every vote counts and I’d really appreciate it.
  26. Mar 24, 2014
    i think its good im enjoying every episode wishing they were longer everything is building up to like when they bring in the heroes and villains its clever funny love all the characters its a good show that doesnt have to have alot of action all the time
  27. Apr 23, 2014
    I am always a little skeptical when watching any show Joss Whedon has anything to do with. Let's just say I didn't like Buffy the Vampire Slayer much. That aside, I enjoyed the premiere but was disappointed by the overall story arc up until the 2 episodes before Winter Soldier came out. The characters are becoming more defined and the actors look much more comfortable with their roles.I am always a little skeptical when watching any show Joss Whedon has anything to do with. Let's just say I didn't like Buffy the Vampire Slayer much. That aside, I enjoyed the premiere but was disappointed by the overall story arc up until the 2 episodes before Winter Soldier came out. The characters are becoming more defined and the actors look much more comfortable with their roles. Now, the show looks like it's firing on all cylinders. Full speed ahead! Expand
  28. May 1, 2014
    I think everyone who's written a negative review stopped watching after the 2nd episode. (Like I did before I binge watched the rest of the episodes purely out of boredom.)

This is one of those shows that got surprisingly better over the course of the season. The plot is pretty amazing and well thought out. (I just wish that they would have gotten to it sooner than episode 4 like they did.) The tie-ins to the (Disney) Marvel cinematic universe is just pure awesomeness and I can see the potential of each season making a reference to the goings on in said universe.

I'm only giving this show a 10 because I don't feel that the User Score of 6.2 is justified with this show. I will be sad if abc cancels because they failed miserably on the first two episodes.

For those of you that stopped watching after the first few episodes, I implore you to get caught up. You will not be disappointed.
  29. Oct 22, 2013
    I loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly, both brilliant shows about unrecognized heros fighting the good fight against overwhelming odds. Buffy and Mal were great characters I could root for.

I am not a fan of comic books, but I trusted what Whedon would do with the material. I should not have been so trustful. There is no character that can I root for like Buffy and Mal. The "agents" are not overwhelmed, if anything it is safe to assume they will always be able to find something that overpowers whatever enemy they are facing.

The show lost all credibility for me in the second episode, when a lot of drama was built up over the plane landing! Great visuals and powerful music to watch a plane land, really. That is never going to keep me interested in watching.
  30. Oct 2, 2013
    I watched episode 1--"fine," I thought. "They're doing some introduction and backstory, it'll start swinging later on." But after the laughably bad episode 2, I'm going to have a hard time hanging in there for another one.

SHIELD is utterly conventional and most damningly, lacking in imagination. It's also horribly directed and written--it's like a linear first-person shooter game, where there's no sense of any roads not being taken. See the characters go through their little maze, see the boss fights, whoopee. Saddest of all, Clark Gregg's Agent Colson schtick, so entertaining in little doses on the big screen, turns out to be badly unsuited to carry a 40-minute show.

It's tempting to blame the direction for the bulk of the problems--and make no mistake, the direction is abysmal--but there is no "director." Instead, each episode appears to come with its own director, which while a very hip thing to do, means that there's no one with a vested interest in developing the show at the helm.

It's not like the actors can shoulder the burden of carrying the series, either. Brett Dalton (Grant Ward...or is it the other way around?) is perhaps the worst offender, in deeply over his head in his first major role. His resume (https://yaledrama.digication.com/brettdalton/Resume) doesn't list an age, but it's safe to assume he's around 24, and completely unbelieveable as the jaded special agent. It's not his fault, but he's seriously miscast. But then, so is the rest of the cast, most of whom are also in their (VERY) early Twenties.

Agents of SHIELD is a disaster from beginning to end. Music, sound design, and especially production values are bottom of the barrel. That was acceptable in a goofy, campy Joss Whedon story like "Buffy," but that's not how this has been positioned. It's almost unbelievable that a project this big could be so sloppy, thrown-together feeling and just plain unenjoyable...but then, this is the year that brought us "Under the Dome," so maybe instead of a blast from the darkest network past, this sort of tripe is the future.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gregg has a deadpan ease that makes the engine purr. And his team is good-looking and stamped with just enough personality and humor: Without killing the fun, they ground the show. [14 Oct 2013, p.43]
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Greenfield
    Oct 3, 2013
    The show has a sound concept.... But the script, by Joss, Jed and Tancharoen, with Joss directing, is a mite too pleased with itself.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Sep 26, 2013
    There’s actually not a single weak link in the cast. The weakness of the premiere comes down to plotting. There’s a slightly melodramatic arc involving a commentary on the current economic state of the country.