• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 24, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
6.3

1. Sep 28, 2013
    Watching T Avengers and then watching this is like one day eating lobster and then the next day eating a 99p microwaveable fish pie. Completely let down by its Hammy dialogue and un-engaging characters. Hard to believe this was made by Joss Whedon. What a disappointment.
  2. Sep 26, 2013
    I had high hopes for this show, but I was honestly let down. It is truly and ABC not a Marvel production, at least that's how it feels. This first episode was very lackluster, and so cheesy I almost expected everyone to break out into song. The filmography felt very dated, and the script more contrived then what I've come to expect from the experienced J.W. It played out like an early episode of Buffy. I was honestly hoping for something more attuned to recent Marvel/Hollywood aesthetics but what I got was a cheesy hodgepodge of forcing a stereotypical bunch of c level actors into a contrived setting. The flying car at the end is what really made me roll my eyes. This show isn't even grounded in the same universe that Marvel is(which is pretty fantastical.) My suspense of disbelief withered within the first two minutes, much like the most recent efforts of shows like "the cape" and "hero's" I don't see this show lasting very many seasons. My advice, cut your loses now. Most people positively reviewing this show are fan-boys with high-hopes. Joss isn't untouchable, and fortunately for this show it's to high budget to continue past one season. End this charade before it ruins the franchise that Marvel/Disney have bet their marbles on. Expand
  3. Oct 3, 2013
    The writing reminds me of a disney show. Every is bickering like teenagers. The show is just silly and all the characters are unoriginal. It's not a good show.
  4. Sep 30, 2013
    I'm sorry... the critics have been WAY too kind with this show. The plot/script was convoluted and
    just uninteresting to be perfectly honest. I was greatly disappointed!! If you're going to get involved in any show that where the the characters have super-powers... just watch HEROES.
  5. Oct 9, 2013
    I really wanted to like this show, but it reminds me of Terra Nova. A lot of promise, but never delivers and instead has a cheesy plot line, poor CGI, bad acting and limited presence of what people thought they would see. In the case of Terra Nova, people wanted to see dinosaurs. In AOS, people are expecting to see B-line superheroes and villians....instead we get a mis-matched group of nobodies.
  6. Sep 27, 2013
    Pilot episode was boring and predictable.Cheap casting and meaningless dialog and want be last than first season because surely rating gonging to be down an ABC network has notorious history of canceling shows,
  7. Sep 24, 2013
    Great pilot, delicious teasers, more than a few nods to the Marvel movie history. There is just enough CGI to be interesting and the ratio of reality and fantasy is perfect to keep you immersed and enamored.

And the casting, of course, is just perfect.
  8. Sep 28, 2013
    Ill keep this short and sweet...bad acting, ridiculously bad dialogue, other than skye, no likeable characters, and a boring and predictable story line. If you want a great superhero show watch "Arrow" miles above and beyond this drivel. Lets hope its cancelled soon to make room for a good show
  9. Oct 1, 2013
    Expected so much more. That's all I can say. The worst humor out of every Marvel production ever.
    Needless to say, I will continue to watch. This isn't the worst show on the air, but I would not be surprised if this show got canceled after the first season. The characters are flat, the story line is dull. And frankly, incredibly cheesy.
  10. Oct 2, 2013
    It's really, really stupid. The cheese factor is unbearably high, the acting is bad, the dialogue is bad, the visuals are overdone. The jokes aren't funny, and the plot is boring. There's nothing at all about the first episode which makes me want to watch the second..
  11. Sep 25, 2013
    I have to say i expected more i have nothing to say...everything about the pilot is average and 5 is an average no stand out acting directing or anything average with a great universe and they did this.
  12. Sep 29, 2013
    I am not sure if people are joking when they say Marvel's Agents of SHIED is anything but terrible. Everything that could have gone with the show did with bad acting, bad dialog and horrific jokes. It is like they took what was good about the avengers and made it really really s**t. Even Clark Gregg sucks dick in this which i thought would be the only redeeming factor but no. The show as a whole is just plain bad with nothing that is even remotely good or even exceptionable from the people involved. The amount of money just wasted on this is embarrassing and you who think they would get a half decent script together or one good actor in the mix but no they just spent it all on large set pieces and special effects which suck anyway. Cheesier then High School Musical and not even as funny as You Me and Dupree, this is a monumental failure for everyone involved. DO NOT WATCH! Expand
  13. Sep 25, 2013
    wow is all I can say. That's not cause of the tv show. Im a huge avengers fan and a Joss whedon fan by miles. Yet the episode 1 of shield is pretty awful. I'm sure it'll get better but some of the lead chars are to happy with themselves, and there's to many cheesy 1 liners. I see a lot of people giving this show high scores but seriously and you all know this to be true but some of you are just not being honest. I give it a 4 based on the over the top acting and to much time spent on trying to make it comical, defiantly doesn't feel like a joss production, but if it is then np im sure hell sort it, and help develop it into a good series after all its only episode 1. and he gave us avengers and fire fly and buffy ect Soz joss had to give the show a 4 and I really didn't want too. Expand
  14. Oct 1, 2013
    I managed to catch the first and second episode and I can tell you right now. If the show keeps heading in this direction it will be canceled like Zero Hour.

Where do I begin. The show runs like a terrible B movie. The CGI is used in almost every scene and looks very unrealistic. The acting is very poor (Clark Gregg, I'm looking at you..) The explosions and fake firefights are over the
    top. And the worst is the corny jokes throughout the dialogue.

I wanted to like this show. I'm a fan of Marvel and basically all superhero fantasy and sci-fi. But this show is just too cheesey. It seems like a parody of a real TV show.
  15. Oct 3, 2013
    ...as comic book fans we expect a lot more!! Especially related to the Marvel Super Hero's!!! ABC don't Lois and Clark this show or I am done!!! Don't apply the ABC formula of predictable silly romance shows...
  16. Oct 12, 2013
    I honestly can't believe this show is getting "generally favorable" reviews. It is sub-par on every single level. Terrible acting, bland characters, cringe-worthy dialogue, and a plot worthy of some forgettable CSI-type police procedural. This doesn't even measure up to Heroes, let alone the excellent movies Marvel has been putting out. Huge disappointment. Definitely not worth your time.
  17. Sep 24, 2013
    Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is a fun and faithful addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The pilot episode contains loads of Easter eggs that are sure to be appreciated by old-school comics fans and newer MCU fans alike. Joss Whedon is a master lore builder, deftly laying the foundation for another fan favorite. It's genuinely funny, imaginative and well paced. And the cool-factor of having a television show that ties into one of the most successful movie franchises of all time is off the charts. I'll definitely be sticking with this one. Expand
  18. Sep 29, 2013
    Terrible. characters are all so far over the top and unbelievable. the old lady spy does the whole, huge sunglasses with scowl look just about constantly. The hot hacker is super hot, but terribly unbelievable as a hacker...
  19. Oct 9, 2013
    Coulson is OK, but compared to the rest of the characters he is dazzling. The others are dull and many of them overact to an annoying degree, particularly the hacker. It is really off-putting. Furthermore, they seem to use the Warehouse 13 method of Unexplained Devices. That is, they have devices that can put the characters in jeopardy, but they never bother to explain where the devices come from or why they are there--not a single spec of back story. OK, I may be wrong about this, as I didn't finish watching the second episode because I was so bored. But if they did use the Unexplained (or barely explained) Devices method, then it is lazy writing that leaves viewers unsatisfied. I hope they don't continue in this vein. Also, how old are most of these characters? Twelve? Let's have some variety in race, age, and looks. Everybody doesn't have to be pretty. I expected more from Whedon. I thought the Avengers film was very good and I never watch that type of film. Expand
  20. Oct 7, 2013
    This series is really silly and should be on a kids channel and not prime time television. I just can't understand the good reviews it received from critics.
  21. Jan 14, 2014
    While my suspension of disbelief still struggles to accommodate secretive government agents as the good guys and likely always will, I do continue to watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and enjoy it. But as the series progresses, the biggest flaw becomes more and more evident. The dialogue is so compressed, straightforward, and shoehorned in that it leaves no room for the viewer's imagination and intuition. As a result, scenes sometimes come across as a little insulting and very manipulative. However, the characters are still developing, so perhaps the dialogue will soon have room to slow down and smooth itself out, leaving room for both more of Whedon's trademark wit and for the intelligence of the viewer. Expand
  22. Oct 22, 2013
    I loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly, both brilliant shows about unrecognized heros fighting the good fight against overwhelming odds. Buffy and Mal were great characters I could root for.

I am not a fan of comic books, but I trusted what Whedon would do with the material. I should not have been so trustful. There is no character that can I root for like Buffy and Mal. The
    "agents" are not overwhelmed, if anything it is safe to assume they will always be able to find something that overpowers whatever enemy they are facing.

The show lost all credibility for me in the second episode, when a lot of drama was built up over the plane landing! Great visuals and powerful music to watch a plane land, really. That is never going to keep me interested in watching.
  23. Sep 24, 2013
    So far, "Marvel's Agents of Shield" is enticing, if a bit lackluster. The flow and pacing of the show feels very similar to "The Avengers", and the plot runs smoothly, but some of the dialogue is unrealistic, and a few characters feel shallow and stock. However, there's enough solid humor and intense action, as well as plot hooks, to keep viewers coming back for more.
  24. Oct 2, 2013
    I watched episode 1--"fine," I thought. "They're doing some introduction and backstory, it'll start swinging later on." But after the laughably bad episode 2, I'm going to have a hard time hanging in there for another one.

SHIELD is utterly conventional and most damningly, lacking in imagination. It's also horribly directed and written--it's like a linear first-person shooter game,
    where there's no sense of any roads not being taken. See the characters go through their little maze, see the boss fights, whoopee. Saddest of all, Clark Gregg's Agent Colson schtick, so entertaining in little doses on the big screen, turns out to be badly unsuited to carry a 40-minute show.

It's tempting to blame the direction for the bulk of the problems--and make no mistake, the direction is abysmal--but there is no "director." Instead, each episode appears to come with its own director, which while a very hip thing to do, means that there's no one with a vested interest in developing the show at the helm.

It's not like the actors can shoulder the burden of carrying the series, either. Brett Dalton (Grant Ward...or is it the other way around?) is perhaps the worst offender, in deeply over his head in his first major role. His resume (https://yaledrama.digication.com/brettdalton/Resume) doesn't list an age, but it's safe to assume he's around 24, and completely unbelieveable as the jaded special agent. It's not his fault, but he's seriously miscast. But then, so is the rest of the cast, most of whom are also in their (VERY) early Twenties.

Agents of SHIELD is a disaster from beginning to end. Music, sound design, and especially production values are bottom of the barrel. That was acceptable in a goofy, campy Joss Whedon story like "Buffy," but that's not how this has been positioned. It's almost unbelievable that a project this big could be so sloppy, thrown-together feeling and just plain unenjoyable...but then, this is the year that brought us "Under the Dome," so maybe instead of a blast from the darkest network past, this sort of tripe is the future.
  25. Sep 24, 2013
    I thought it was a solid start to a series. The character dialogue and story moved at a super fast pace but I guess it almost has to to be crammed into an hour slot. The guy who played the "hero" did a real good job and was the most interesting character. Looking forward to see how the series develops.
  26. Sep 25, 2013
    I'm so glad to see Joss back on TV! My only concern is common folk don't appreciate his humor. Which was classic Whedon!
    If he can control a pace of twists it could work. But cramming all that stuff in the first episode is gonna make mainstream confused and lack comprehension. Out of all people he should know that wont work for ratings.
    Loved the pilot!!!!
    Great hour and I fracking
    thought it was amazing.
    Anything Mr. Whedon does is always a joy to participate in.
  27. Oct 12, 2013
    Bland. I keep waiting for Whedon-esque characters to pop out, but it hasn't happened. Making references to great movies has the same effect as the Bourne Legacy: it reminds you that those movies exist, and makes you wonder why you're bothering to watch what's in front of you. Disappointing.
  28. Oct 23, 2013
    In my opinion this is the best new show on television this year. It packs great plot, action, and characters together in a show that ties in excellently with the established film franchise. I also have to give praise to the excellent special effects and fan-service. Everything looks realistic and the constant references to movies like The Avengers, Thor, and Iron Man really makes the fan in me geek out with excitement.

I can't wait to see where they take the show from here, and I hope that maybe we'll see some of the movie characters make it into the show and vise-versa. Overall if you are a fan of Marvel's latest films then I don't see why you wouldn't like this show just as well. The way it ties into the movies alone is enough to make anyone's inner Marvel fan smile. To be honest I couldn't be more impressed with the show.
  29. Nov 8, 2013
    While I originally gave this show a 6, I know give it a 10 because in the long run its very entertaining. It is certainly not perfect, but if you can get past the cheesy one-liners, stereotypical characters, and dialogue you will be able to find this show to be enjoyable. I liked the references to the Marvel Phase One group of movies with plot elements like Extremis. While I had my doubts when I watched the first episode, I think this show is good and I now highly recommend it. I think it's better than The Avengers and the show has potential. My only major complaint is that its to unrealistic at times, like with the little robots and the flying car at the end of episode one. (Unlike the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which is grounded in reality, for the most part.) I also like the plot twists in the episodes and the premises. I think they should merge the Marvel One-Shot "Item 47" with this; that would be cool.

(P.S, I'm not just some Marvel fanboy either; read my reviews for Iron Man 3 and The Avengers.)

If you liked this review, read my other reviews on a wide variety of movies, TV shows, and videogames by clicking on my name and mark this review as helpful. Every vote counts!
  30. Sep 26, 2013
    Watch this show. It's entertaining, the characters are awesome and the story has a lot of potential.

Also, the writing was impressive. I was expecting another typical superhero show, but really the writing made this shine.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gregg has a deadpan ease that makes the engine purr. And his team is good-looking and stamped with just enough personality and humor: Without killing the fun, they ground the show. [14 Oct 2013, p.43]
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Greenfield
    Oct 3, 2013
    The show has a sound concept.... But the script, by Joss, Jed and Tancharoen, with Joss directing, is a mite too pleased with itself.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Sep 26, 2013
    There’s actually not a single weak link in the cast. The weakness of the premiere comes down to plotting. There’s a slightly melodramatic arc involving a commentary on the current economic state of the country.