• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 24, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
6.7

1. Sep 24, 2013
    Great pilot, delicious teasers, more than a few nods to the Marvel movie history. There is just enough CGI to be interesting and the ratio of reality and fantasy is perfect to keep you immersed and enamored.

And the casting, of course, is just perfect.
  2. Nov 8, 2013
    First episodes were a bit boring but it gets better and better! Keep watching, I'm glad I did.
    I really like the little references to other Marvel movies. Skye is awesome!
  3. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The worst thing you can do when watching this show EVER is expect movie budget and super heroes.
    None were advertised, you know what you're going in to, don't the show is really badass.
    First episodes was okay, kicked off the series, second episode was ...Irrelevant, might as well not exist.
    And the third episode ...Holy that was so amazing.
    As I said, the show is called Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. so you already know what it's about, expecting a ton of super heroes and super villains (All thought we already saw Graviton) then you're better off watching the movies alone and figuring out the references by yourself.
  4. Oct 22, 2013
    While this series may have gotten off to a slow and frankly rather disappointing start, I feel that it's definitely beginning to develop its somewhat two-dimensional characters, and is definitely showing signs of more interesting if not intricate plots. The dialogue is still a little cheesy and clunky after S01E04, but to me it is definitely still an improvement from the pilot episode,While this series may have gotten off to a slow and frankly rather disappointing start, I feel that it's definitely beginning to develop its somewhat two-dimensional characters, and is definitely showing signs of more interesting if not intricate plots. The dialogue is still a little cheesy and clunky after S01E04, but to me it is definitely still an improvement from the pilot episode, which contained far too many cliches and bland plotting. In terms of their acting, I must admit, maybe with the exception of Ming Na Wen and Clark Gregg, is still currently sub par to me, even taking into account their short filming time. That was one of its down sides for me.

It may not be the agents of shield many were expecting, frankly it wasn't the one I was expecting either, but at its current trajectory, I can definitely see it going to greater heights.

I recommend watching it, and sticking with it for a while longer, before judging it again
  5. Nov 23, 2014
    I'm RE-REviewing this season.

The episodes Prior to the avengers easily deserve a 4-5. They were mneh at best, with a couple stand out moments.

Yet post CA:TWS? In-CREDIBLE. WAY TO GO DISNEY! You ROCKED IT!
  6. May 25, 2015
    A lot of people didn’t like the show until Captain America: The Winter Solider’s events impacted the show. Honestly, as I was catching up to the show, I enjoyed the show already from the second episode. However, it was understandable why many people didn’t like the show because the first couple of episodes felt more of a procedural. However, I am glad those episodes helped establish theA lot of people didn’t like the show until Captain America: The Winter Solider’s events impacted the show. Honestly, as I was catching up to the show, I enjoyed the show already from the second episode. However, it was understandable why many people didn’t like the show because the first couple of episodes felt more of a procedural. However, I am glad those episodes helped establish the characters because by the time I reached the post Winter Solider episodes, my feels were leaked.

The cast performances in the show are actually great and I would totally disagree with the people who think the acting in the show is bad. All of the main cast played their roles so well that they became icons for Marvel Cinematic Universe nerds like me. However, the ones who had the best performances are Clark Gregg and Chloe Bennett as Phil Coulson and Skye respectively.

The arcs in this season were excellently executed and well-planned. I liked how the arcs had satisfying answers yet asks more questions about the same arc in the next season. I also liked how everything that has happened in the show is tracked back to one thing which I won’t spoil even though it’s already a year since the first season ended by the time I posted this review.

The character development has made me care about the characters and even though some of the characters were not given much development until the Winter Solider’s events that impacted the show, it helps to relate to those characters because those characters, especially FitzSimmons will have a bigger, much more emotional character development in the next season in which I am currently catching up by the time I posted this review.

The first season of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. may not be everyone’s favorite but this season is totally underrated and I suggest that everyone who is considering watching this show to be patient with the filler episodes because it’s going to be worth it when you watch the episode that has turned the show around.
  7. May 30, 2015
    There's a lot of reviews from 2013 here. This has slowly become the best show on TV. It's FUN. Not realistic, not shocking (although there are is a great story, full of twists and surprises), it's not gritty or gory or anything like that. It's fun, and there isn't enough of that on TV. They have a great trend of taking things you may find unconvincing or even weak, and turning it on itsThere's a lot of reviews from 2013 here. This has slowly become the best show on TV. It's FUN. Not realistic, not shocking (although there are is a great story, full of twists and surprises), it's not gritty or gory or anything like that. It's fun, and there isn't enough of that on TV. They have a great trend of taking things you may find unconvincing or even weak, and turning it on its head, using any potential weakness as a strength... which is a stunning habit to have in a show! Expand
  8. Nov 13, 2013
    While the show's premise isn't what everyone is expecting and its slow development in its first few episodes, the show gets interesting week by week and the viewers just needs to be patient and realize that this show is about S.H.I.E.L.D. itself, not The Avengers.
  9. Oct 29, 2013
    Well go figure Marvel! Marvel's new show Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D looks so surprising for any Marvel fans, or any Comic Book Guys. It follows The Avengers footsteps and it brought Agent Coulson's return.
  10. Oct 12, 2013
    I was expecting so much from the first episode well because it's MARVEL but i wasn't impressed so i gave it another chance well because it's MARVEL and i'm glad i gave it a second shot because the second episode showed more story-lines, more action, more adventure, and definitely more charm between some characters! the third episode took place on yet another country which is what's soI was expecting so much from the first episode well because it's MARVEL but i wasn't impressed so i gave it another chance well because it's MARVEL and i'm glad i gave it a second shot because the second episode showed more story-lines, more action, more adventure, and definitely more charm between some characters! the third episode took place on yet another country which is what's so great about this show.. it is very adventerous and action packed! well done Joss Whedon Expand
  11. May 14, 2014
    It took a while to get off the ground. The first half of the season was very hit and miss but the second half was very good. It still isn't the best show in the world, but the Captain America crossover during the season's second half brought a lot to the show. It's worth watching if you can get past the first ten so-so episodes.
  12. Apr 15, 2014
    Being a huge fan of Marvel Movies how could I turn down a show named Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I was a little disappointed in the first few episodes and almost stopped watching it, but I'm glad I hung in there. Around the 5th and 6th episode it really started to pick up and hasn't disappointed. The show has been action packed with kick ass agents, powerful villains and weapons,Being a huge fan of Marvel Movies how could I turn down a show named Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I was a little disappointed in the first few episodes and almost stopped watching it, but I'm glad I hung in there. Around the 5th and 6th episode it really started to pick up and hasn't disappointed. The show has been action packed with kick ass agents, powerful villains and weapons, also I'm glad the writers incorporated Asgardians in a few of their episodes and now Hydra characters (villains/agents). This show has definitely been worth the wait and the watch. Expand
  13. Nov 30, 2013
    An enjoyable show but so far it seems too procedural to me. If you're missing an episode usually you don't miss much. Sure there are signs that there's something bigger going on but most episodes don't relate to that storyline. If Agents of Shield wants to keep its ratings on a decent level then I think it needs to rely less on standalone-episodes. There would be a lot potential here. AndAn enjoyable show but so far it seems too procedural to me. If you're missing an episode usually you don't miss much. Sure there are signs that there's something bigger going on but most episodes don't relate to that storyline. If Agents of Shield wants to keep its ratings on a decent level then I think it needs to rely less on standalone-episodes. There would be a lot potential here. And maybe put conflicts between the main characters more in the center. Expand
  14. Nov 6, 2013
    This series has slowly been picking up steam after a up-and-down beginning to the season. The characters are developing over time (as one would expect), and the situations are becoming more and more dynamic. As for the acting, it is uneven, but Clark Gregg is really a tent pole for the cast. His performance alone is worth the watching. Too many would-be critics wrote this show off far too quickly.
  15. Apr 12, 2014
    I agree the show was real slow and very off topic on the first 10 episodes, but you always have to let a show pick up so it can get with the flow. To many people rated it badly off the bat because its not what they wanted it to be. When you give a new experimental show some time it will show its colors soon enough. After episode 10 the show really is making much more sense of things. andI agree the show was real slow and very off topic on the first 10 episodes, but you always have to let a show pick up so it can get with the flow. To many people rated it badly off the bat because its not what they wanted it to be. When you give a new experimental show some time it will show its colors soon enough. After episode 10 the show really is making much more sense of things. and showing backgrounds into some of marvels other heroes and villains, like Deathlok. I find this as a great idea, like how justice league unlimited showed heroes that were never given a TV series. Expect a lot from this series, its Marvel you know. Expand
  16. Jan 22, 2014
    This is the kind of show that will continue to get better the longer it is on the air. More characters will get introduced. More in general will happen. Remember how the second X-Men, Spider-Man, and Thor movies were so much better than the first? That’s what will happen with the second season of MAOS.

It may not find it’s groove this season, but it will get there, and you’ll be glad you stuck with it. It would be a waste for this show to get cancelled before it reaches its potential.

Please don’t give up on it.
  17. May 28, 2014
    The first season was anything but predictable. SHIELD has great tie-ins with The Avengers for the comic book geeks, technology and gadgets for the 007 crowd, and great twists to keep everyone else wanting more. The main characters are a bit too defined by archetypal roles, but not so much as to get in the way of good television.
  18. Nov 22, 2014
    Get past the first few boring episodes and the show picks up and delivers. Mid way through season two now and the show in no way is slowing down. Hail Hydra!
  19. May 30, 2017
    May leave you exhausted because of its complex plot and dull moments, but Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is just as unpredictable and enjoyable as any other Marvel series.
  20. Apr 16, 2017
    Brilliant show!!! I will be the first to admit that the first half of season 1 was slow and a bit cheesy, and I know I initially gave up on the show prematurely. Luckily, my friend encouraged me to give it another try & I'm so glad he did.
    The storytelling on this show is excellent. The writing is energetic, ambitious and keeps you at the edge of your seat, as there are so many great and unforeseen twists and turns. The situations the characters find themselves in actually carry weight, this assists in removing predictability from the show, as the things they face and do, actually have realistic, long term effects. This also allows for amazing growth from each of the characters. The characters are very diverse and lovable, everyone gets chances to shine & the development of each character is done beautifully over the seasons. The VFX is good (especially for season 4), and the fight scenes are great. Overall Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is arguably one of the best comic book shows on television. It may not have started that way, but its a show that has grown a lot and gotten so much better with each season. The missteps from the first season were corrected within the latter half of that same season, and everything since has been very strong. Definitely worth the watch!
  21. Nov 8, 2013
    The show has made huge strides in the last few weeks to make it feel less predictable. I would say that the last episode which had like 2 episodes went from not caring much about Fitz-Simmons to caring deeply about the character. I would like to know more about Agent Mei. She and Coulson are the two most interesting characters in this series. I hope they continue to make huge stridesThe show has made huge strides in the last few weeks to make it feel less predictable. I would say that the last episode which had like 2 episodes went from not caring much about Fitz-Simmons to caring deeply about the character. I would like to know more about Agent Mei. She and Coulson are the two most interesting characters in this series. I hope they continue to make huge strides in the series. Expand
  22. Nov 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really like Marvel's Agents of Shield, because it is very funny and it is filled with emotion and humor an action. I like the last few episodes but the beginning of the series wasn't the best but when I watch a few more episodes It is starting to get way better because the last few episodes had an action and agents they got more serious and it got a lot more cooler. They started to get in skies past and her parents Expand
  23. Nov 22, 2013
    After a shaky start, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is finally hitting it's stride, with characters being fleshed out, and a run of good episodes. Stick through the first few episodes and you'll find this show rewarding, and I've a strong feeling its only going to get better.
  24. Nov 25, 2013
    There is not much more that I can say other than I love this show. The characters are very engaging and well portrayed. The dialogue is wonderful and very witty at times. The pace of the show is just right, keeping you engaged by stretching out the plot, but doesn't take too long on reveals. I really like that they cast such amazing actors, many of them little known rather than findingThere is not much more that I can say other than I love this show. The characters are very engaging and well portrayed. The dialogue is wonderful and very witty at times. The pace of the show is just right, keeping you engaged by stretching out the plot, but doesn't take too long on reveals. I really like that they cast such amazing actors, many of them little known rather than finding well known actors. It can make you laugh one minute and then have you crying the next.

It follows The Avengers very well, making sure the audience knows that it is included in the Marvel universe by references to the characters, as well as incorporating the events of Thor 2. If you loved any of the other movies in the franchise, or are a fan of Marvel then this is the show for you.

My final comment is that Joss Whedon is an amazing director, and I do believe that he has another hit with Agents of SHIELD. I just hope he doesn't kill anyone off too soon.
  25. Apr 3, 2014
    Marvel’s Agents of Shield is far from perfect. Many fans criticized the show for not being “Marvel” enough, however the show is slowly taking viewer’s advice. With Mike Peters becoming Deathlok; Agent Maria Hill, Nick Fury, and Lady Sif making appearances; Donnie Gill from episode 12 becoming a version of Blizzard; Bill Paxton becoming Agent John Garrett; the strange blue alien at the endMarvel’s Agents of Shield is far from perfect. Many fans criticized the show for not being “Marvel” enough, however the show is slowly taking viewer’s advice. With Mike Peters becoming Deathlok; Agent Maria Hill, Nick Fury, and Lady Sif making appearances; Donnie Gill from episode 12 becoming a version of Blizzard; Bill Paxton becoming Agent John Garrett; the strange blue alien at the end of episode 14; and future tie-ins with Marvel movies (like Captain America: The Winter Soldier) the show is genuinely trying to improve. With each passing week, Agents of SHIELD. is becoming a more fully developed show; after many episodes it has finally managed to redeem itself. The show’s characters are generic, to say the least, but they have been changing for the better. I get that fans want to have more Marvel superheroes and stuff in the episodes, and I agree with that, but it’s a bit too much to ask for people like Robert Downey Jr and Scarlet Johansson to appear on the show. Another initial problem with SHIELD was that it had “case of the week”-like episodes. There was no overall story arc (a problem Fox’s Almost Human faced). Now though, there is Centipede and the Clairvoyant.

I liked the references to the Marvel Phase One group of movies with plot elements like Extremis. While I had my doubts when I watched the first episode, I think this show is good now and I now highly recommend it. I think it's better than The Avengers and the show has potential. My only major complaint is that it’s too unrealistic at times, like with the little robots and the flying car at the end of episode one, unlike the Marvel Cinematic Universe which is grounded in reality (for the most part). I also like the plot twists in the episodes and the premises. I think they should merge the Marvel One-Shot "Item 47" with this; that would be cool.
    I personally always liked the show, despite all its faults. I think a big problem was that some people had really high expectations for this show, and those high expectations weren’t met. I get that, because I had high expectations for The Avengers and Iron Man 3, and I was disappointed when they weren’t met. High expectations can ruin otherwise great films/TV shows, so I recommend that if you don’t already—don’t expect too much from this show. If you liked this review, read my other reviews on a wide variety of movies and TV shows by clicking on my name and mark this review as helpful. Remember, every vote counts and I’d really appreciate it.
  26. Mar 24, 2014
    i think its good im enjoying every episode wishing they were longer everything is building up to like when they bring in the heroes and villains its clever funny love all the characters its a good show that doesnt have to have alot of action all the time
  27. Apr 23, 2014
    I am always a little skeptical when watching any show Joss Whedon has anything to do with. Let's just say I didn't like Buffy the Vampire Slayer much. That aside, I enjoyed the premiere but was disappointed by the overall story arc up until the 2 episodes before Winter Soldier came out. The characters are becoming more defined and the actors look much more comfortable with their roles.I am always a little skeptical when watching any show Joss Whedon has anything to do with. Let's just say I didn't like Buffy the Vampire Slayer much. That aside, I enjoyed the premiere but was disappointed by the overall story arc up until the 2 episodes before Winter Soldier came out. The characters are becoming more defined and the actors look much more comfortable with their roles. Now, the show looks like it's firing on all cylinders. Full speed ahead! Expand
  28. May 1, 2014
    I think everyone who's written a negative review stopped watching after the 2nd episode. (Like I did before I binge watched the rest of the episodes purely out of boredom.)

This is one of those shows that got surprisingly better over the course of the season. The plot is pretty amazing and well thought out. (I just wish that they would have gotten to it sooner than episode 4 like they did.) The tie-ins to the (Disney) Marvel cinematic universe is just pure awesomeness and I can see the potential of each season making a reference to the goings on in said universe.

I'm only giving this show a 10 because I don't feel that the User Score of 6.2 is justified with this show. I will be sad if abc cancels because they failed miserably on the first two episodes.

For those of you that stopped watching after the first few episodes, I implore you to get caught up. You will not be disappointed.
  29. Oct 2, 2013
    I was skeptical of this show going in, literally saying to my flatmate as it was downloading: "There's plenty of avenues for this to end up in Suckitude Town." and I found the first moments of dialogue to be dreadfully painful, but then after the first few scenes it hit me. The show is deliberately dancing on both sides of that line that divides cheezy and entertaining in a playfulI was skeptical of this show going in, literally saying to my flatmate as it was downloading: "There's plenty of avenues for this to end up in Suckitude Town." and I found the first moments of dialogue to be dreadfully painful, but then after the first few scenes it hit me. The show is deliberately dancing on both sides of that line that divides cheezy and entertaining in a playful manner when approaching those standard/stereotypical cliched scenes, and I have to say it does it quite brilliantly.

This is not going to be one of those grittier darker Whedon shows that many of us loved, and it can't be given that Marvel is now a "family friendly" franchise so we get something a bit more lighthearted and "fun" that fits an episodic format with a hint of a possibly intriguing story arc (2 episodes in is really to early to tell).

If you came in expecting one thing and didn't get it, obviously you're going to be dissapointed. But if you see it and can appreciate it for what it is it really is pretty enjoyable so far. It gets an 8 from me for the laughs it gave so far and the potential it holds, but I'm really holding judgement for at least a few more episodes.
  30. Nov 13, 2013
    Just bear through the first episode and you'll thank yourself once you watch the second. I love Fitz-Simmons. They are my favorite because of the inside jokes and witty, genius-science remarks they make. The most recent episodes have been incredible so far. The earlier episodes, not so much. I gave this a 10 not because it's an amazing tv show, but because I didn't believe it would turnJust bear through the first episode and you'll thank yourself once you watch the second. I love Fitz-Simmons. They are my favorite because of the inside jokes and witty, genius-science remarks they make. The most recent episodes have been incredible so far. The earlier episodes, not so much. I gave this a 10 not because it's an amazing tv show, but because I didn't believe it would turn into something this good. Joss Whedon is by far my favorite writer ever. Expand

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gregg has a deadpan ease that makes the engine purr. And his team is good-looking and stamped with just enough personality and humor: Without killing the fun, they ground the show. [14 Oct 2013, p.43]
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Greenfield
    Oct 3, 2013
    The show has a sound concept.... But the script, by Joss, Jed and Tancharoen, with Joss directing, is a mite too pleased with itself.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Sep 26, 2013
    There’s actually not a single weak link in the cast. The weakness of the premiere comes down to plotting. There’s a slightly melodramatic arc involving a commentary on the current economic state of the country.