7.5

1. Mar 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm an avid Merlin fan and as you may or may not know, the writers decided to wrap up the entire series in two episodes at the end of Series 5. I, for one, feel that we have been shortchanged as from the beginning the theme has been 'when Arthur becomes King, Magic will be allowed in Camelot' and this theme continued for much of Season 5 as they were planning for a Season 6 etc. but for an unknown reason they announced on Nov 29, 2012 that Season 5 would be the last.

The 'ending' was 10 minutes of 'magic reveal' and that was that. Arthur died. After following this amazing triple threshold show for five years, holding viewing figures of 7m each week in the UK alone, to have this 'ending' was just a stunning shock to the system. Not the only fan who feels like this, I joined a global campaign to resurrect the show and have different writers re-write the ending and bring our beloved series back. Our glorious leader has contacted top TV producers, TV executives and the BBC and all have said that a campaign like this will work. www.facebook.com/merlin2return
  2. May 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a fan of the series, I will say that Merlin's final season begins on a high-note. The opening two-part episode is thoroughly enjoyable, with the re-introduction of an older Mordred as well as other interesting and well-done characters.
    Throughout the season, a certain momentum is being created, a building tension, and a serious threatening undertone. The usual cheesiness is there, but this season does a great job of making you guess. The CGI and special effects in particular were a cut above.
    Alexander Vlahos does a particularly brilliant Mordred, who kept me guessing at his true intentions as much as Merlin, but also seemed to be quite loyal to Arthur and Camelot.
    Sadly, in the end it was disappointing. Mordred's betrayal seemed too quick and uninspired, Morgana wasn't very active in the final battle, but the stunningly stupid omission was the LACK OF A DUEL TO THE DEATH BETWEEN MORDRED AND ARTHUR. All they did was meet in battle and stab each other....once! For the final battle, this is not acceptable. The audience is led to believe that Mordred and Arthur are equally skilled warriors (i.e. 'Arthur's Bane'), but the only time they actually fight in battle and its over before you can blink in outrage, at the supposed climax. This stumbling into a half-baked recast of typical, tragic Arthurian legend seems a larger tragedy in itself for a show that was destined to re-imagine and re-invent the classic tale of the once-and-future-king!
    Overall, it is of my opinion that this season had greater potential than was realized, and was cut short before its time. I enjoyed nearly every episode of Merlin, and will miss it.
  3. Oct 5, 2013
    Season 5 of Merlin is the best one and overall one of the best seasons of any show ive seen. As Mordred gets closer to Arthur, Merlin fears that the prophecy will come to pass. As the ending nears Camelot goes to war against Morgana's army. Mordred accomplishes his task but not without some reprecussions. Merlin reveals that he has magic to Arthur. Morgana's dream of Emrys comes true, Camelot wins the war. This was an amazing last season, but i wish their would have been a season 6. Expand

There are no critic reviews yet.