• Network: TNT
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 1, 2013
  • Season #: 1
8.2

1. Jun 21, 2014
    I love 1950's Los Angeles. Its my favorite period in time. And this show does a great job of capturing the neon lights, palm trees and criminal activity that made that era so interesting. Its a shame the show got canned after one year because I think it could have been something great.
  2. Jan 23, 2014
    One disappointment is the failure of the actors to adequately portray characters of historic figures. Although fictionalized, fans of the period are missing some of what made the story more interesting in real life. In Mob City, Mickey Cohen comes off like a wide-eyed clown, which he definitely was not. Chief Bill Parker had a famously distinctive, clipped, unsmiling and irritatedOne disappointment is the failure of the actors to adequately portray characters of historic figures. Although fictionalized, fans of the period are missing some of what made the story more interesting in real life. In Mob City, Mickey Cohen comes off like a wide-eyed clown, which he definitely was not. Chief Bill Parker had a famously distinctive, clipped, unsmiling and irritated personality. Neal McDonough misses this completely (Nick Nolte's portrayal of Parker in Gangster Squad also missed the mark). These characters, if played correctly, would lend more texture and purpose to the plot. Expand
  3. Jan 9, 2014
    Mob city was fantastic excellent actors excellent story line and excellent action this
    Show keep me so interested since it based on true event can't what for season 2
    Best show series ever!!!!
  4. Jan 3, 2014
    A terrific romp through a bygone era. Loaded with great characters that fit the period, Tormented Cops, A Femme Fatale and Stereotypical Mobster Types. Amazing sets and cinematography. Reminiscent of an old Bogart Film. Thumbs up.
  5. Jan 2, 2014
    Outstanding, well written, produced, directed, and acted show. My wife and I loved the series! Wish there were more episodes! If you haven't seen it, you should make a point to catch the reruns.
  6. Jan 2, 2014
    I cannot praise this series enough at how well it was made. No cheesy acting, interesting plot, and the mystery that surrounds everything. Everything from the shootouts to the cinematography were beautifully done. For a series with 6 episode I think they did better than what some shows take 16 episodes to do. People don't give it credit for it being on such a short series. I wish theyI cannot praise this series enough at how well it was made. No cheesy acting, interesting plot, and the mystery that surrounds everything. Everything from the shootouts to the cinematography were beautifully done. For a series with 6 episode I think they did better than what some shows take 16 episodes to do. People don't give it credit for it being on such a short series. I wish they would have fleshed this out into a full series. All things aside if you like mobsters and the corruption and crime of the 1940s this will certainly satisfy you. Expand
  7. Dec 20, 2013
    I really enjoy this show, and the music was appropriate, although maybe more modern than the time setting, but loved it, added to the mood and feeling of the show. I really hope this will become a series, I'd like to see more of this.
  8. Dec 17, 2013
    I feel that a lot of people judge shows unfairly today. The show didn't even have a full season to flush things out. That being said I think It is what Rockstars LA Noire should have been. It was a little slow at first but it could be something really special. People shouldn't write it off just yet. I have faith that Frank and his team will definitely Up the ante in season 2. Hopeful theyI feel that a lot of people judge shows unfairly today. The show didn't even have a full season to flush things out. That being said I think It is what Rockstars LA Noire should have been. It was a little slow at first but it could be something really special. People shouldn't write it off just yet. I have faith that Frank and his team will definitely Up the ante in season 2. Hopeful they will renew it for a second season. I would be really disappointed if they don't. It is very stylish & addictive. I think most of the cast did very well and I am very excited to see whats to come. Expand
  9. Dec 16, 2013
    TNT's newest edition to an already great television line up is Mob City, a TV Miniseries that has an ensemble cast that absolutely kills it & I'll get into why.

Plot Line: Mob City takes place in late 1940's Mob soaked Los Angeles. The show revolves around a LAPD detective who works for the Mob. I will not go into much detail because I would be giving away most of the core story. As the story follows a LAPD detective it also follows the Mob, specifically Bugsy Siegel and Mickey Cohen (who you see very little of) and the mystery woman (which I can not go into detail on without spoiling it) threatening and brushing shoulders. The series mostly follows on the LAPD and Bugsy's crew clashing, but recently in eps. 4 followed a rival gang trying to take over Bugsy's operations. There are some holes in the story, but the whole finished product does not fail.

Cast: Let me start of with Frank Darabont. Frank of course took over The Walking Dead after its first season, which in my opinion has dumbed down the show ever since. Ever since Frank took over The Walking Dead for season 2 ongoing I slowly stopped watching. The Walking Dead just became dull and just flat out boring. That is to say I am not a Walking Dead fan, so I could see my hesitation when TNT started advertising a 1940's mob show using Frank's work as a promotion. Looking at the ad's I think, how is a zombie guy create a noir? Frank brought Jon Bernthal (Walking Dead's Shane Walsh) and Jeffrey DeMunn (Walking Dead's Dale Horvath) back who were both killed off of The Walking Dead. Personally I did not like Jon Bernthal in The Walking Dead, but seeing him here on Mob City made me appreciate him a little more. Jeffrey DeMunn was also my one of my favorites on the show and here he is even better. The Walking Dead's resurrected cast helps boost the show, and I love to see others returning to the screen such as Michael McGrady (Southland, L.A. Noire), Neal McDonough (Justified), and Gregory Itzin (24) who make it feel more at home for me. I absolutely love that Edward Burns is playing Bugsy Siegel he is all around a great actor with a lot of potential and portrays him greatly. I do have a problem with casting Jeremy Luke as Mickey Cohen. He makes the show feel awkward and just does not portray Mickey the way I would like. The casting is great overall, and I do enjoy it very much as they defiantly add to the noir feel of the show.

Conclusion: Mob City is a great miniseries, with a cast that makes it and screenplay that kills. Mob City has a lot of potential as a straight up television series. As it is a miniseries they traditionally do not get renewed nor have more that one season, so It will be upsetting to see it go. Frank impressed me when I thought he could not. If Mob City is becoming renewed or brought to a series it cannot be dumbed down, I can already see the money they've spent with the sets, props, and costumes and cutting budget it will make me a lost viewer. I applaud Frank and TNT for making a piece that is my favorite this year. I recommend to anyone though, not the typical Walking Dead fan because I just do not think they would enjoy it. Some background knowledge of the LA mob is good to get the story. A mob enthusiast like me will be just at home. See you at the series and/or season finale? 7/10
  10. Dec 13, 2013
    It was a cold and rainy night when this mug walked into my front room and turned my TV on. The show was new, "Mob City" was the name. He smiled and settled in. I didn't say no since he brought me some great silk stockings. I'm a girl that knows which side her bread is buttered. We watched together. It was just what a girl needs, a great guy and an awfully good show.
  11. Dec 12, 2013
    It was very good the story and plot is amazing hope the keep the season going.It is based on true events and would be good for anyone who likes mob movie go for it and your love it.
  12. Zic
    Dec 5, 2013
    The show is just way to boring for me. In addition the music in itself is enough to turn me away from this show since I cant stand that kind of music.
  13. Dec 4, 2013
    A fantastic show nothing short of amazing. Really captures the feel of film noir. The acting is also very good. I love mafia series and this one has got to be the best I've seen so far. It also has some mystery elements behind it. It is a long premeire with a 2 hour and 11 minute runtime but its a great worthwhile watch. I just wish it was a whole series rather than a mini series because aA fantastic show nothing short of amazing. Really captures the feel of film noir. The acting is also very good. I love mafia series and this one has got to be the best I've seen so far. It also has some mystery elements behind it. It is a long premeire with a 2 hour and 11 minute runtime but its a great worthwhile watch. I just wish it was a whole series rather than a mini series because a show this high in quality of acting, performances, action, story, and mystery deserves more. Bottom line watch tho show if you love noir or mafia movies or shows it does not disappoint. Collapse
  14. Dec 4, 2013
    TNT's Mob City is definitely treading familiar ground, but it still manages to keep me interested and entertained the entire time. The acting is stellar, with several great stand-out performances (Knepper and Bernthal, particularly) and fantastic cinematography. The show certainly looks great. Simon Pegg's guest role also helped a considerable amount and he brought his own depth to aTNT's Mob City is definitely treading familiar ground, but it still manages to keep me interested and entertained the entire time. The acting is stellar, with several great stand-out performances (Knepper and Bernthal, particularly) and fantastic cinematography. The show certainly looks great. Simon Pegg's guest role also helped a considerable amount and he brought his own depth to a seemingly simple character. The show also had a few interesting plot twists being thrown around as well. Extremely solid so far. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Vicki Hyman
    Feb 13, 2014
    Sometimes it seems that Darabont is more in thrall to the rise of the West Coast mob than to the story he's allegedly trying to tell.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Dec 10, 2013
    Holliday Grainger is an excellent Bonnie.... Emile Hirsch, a very good actor, plays Clyde as a passive nonentity.... Bonnie and Clyde seem as remote and illogical as another notorious couple of the era, Wallis Simpson and the Duke of Windsor. [16 Dec 2013]
  3. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    Dec 9, 2013
    The new TNT miniseries (it's on just three weeks in December) has plenty of in-your-face drama and heaps of atmosphere.