• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 23, 2009
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
8.7

1. Jun 10, 2012
    I think this link has some of the most legitimate and well phrased reasons why this show is overrated: http://www.punchnels.com/features/five-reasons-i-hate-modern-family/ You can replace #3 and #5 for 'Mockumentary style has been done and done better - it does not make the show original,' and 'It's so BROAD and tries to appeal to every single person in the planet. They try to stuff soI think this link has some of the most legitimate and well phrased reasons why this show is overrated: http://www.punchnels.com/features/five-reasons-i-hate-modern-family/ You can replace #3 and #5 for 'Mockumentary style has been done and done better - it does not make the show original,' and 'It's so BROAD and tries to appeal to every single person in the planet. They try to stuff so much into one character that it's ridiculous. All what's on screen is what you WANT to see. People want to see a diverse family who's different from the bunch but also has fun and learns something at the end of everyday. ' And I think that the fact that this show is trying so hard to be diverse and is so in-your-face about it (seriously, diversity is basically the main topic) that it's actually insulting. People shouldn't be doing something to show others how diverse and open-minded they are - it should come from within and be a background thing - not something you boast. However, I think the reason why I dislike it so much is because the professional critics think this is comic gold and "genius". And that it sweeps the Emmys. It's a shame smarter, funnier tv shows aren't visible to people.
    As someone else said, the only saving grace is the actors. And maybe that it gets people off of shows like the Kardashians or Toddlers and Tiaras.
  2. AGK
    Dec 26, 2013
    I have to be honest here, when I first watched modern family I felt like I was watching a commercial until I saw the intro. the cameramen need to hold it in one place and the story line is just rubbish. not to mention the characters can be quite annoying.
  3. Nov 25, 2011
    The whole show feels remarkably cold and far too calculated. It seems like it was created in a boardroom somewhere by executives trying to make a show that is palatable enough to gain a large audience and appease critics alike. Modern Family is so familiar, simplistic and squeaky clean, it's no wonder how it appeals to such a large audience. But the constant recycling of every clicheThe whole show feels remarkably cold and far too calculated. It seems like it was created in a boardroom somewhere by executives trying to make a show that is palatable enough to gain a large audience and appease critics alike. Modern Family is so familiar, simplistic and squeaky clean, it's no wonder how it appeals to such a large audience. But the constant recycling of every cliche family sitcom character, storyline, and joke make this show unoriginal, unrealistic and bland. The cast of Modern Family is the only real saving grace. The actors' charm and likability make the show downright smile inducing at times (not often enough, unfortunately) and there's a healthy chemistry between the actors in their separate family units (although, for most, it doesn't extend beyond that). Ultimately it can make adequate filler for when there's nothing else on but don't waste any time changing the channel if there's a Cosby rerun you can find. Expand
  4. Apr 30, 2011
    This show is the worst thing to ever be put on television! I don't know what morn at ABC decided to put this on the air, but he should be ashamed at himself.The acting to far to over the top. the stories are stupid and will never happen.
  5. AlexH
    Dec 5, 2009
    Moder Family is repulsive. Can TV, and prime time TV for that matter, fall any lower? I do not think so. The average American IQ when it comes to understanding foreign cultures and other groups that are not part of the heterosexual paradigm is -20, and this negative score is usually, and sadly, gained through TV since people do not take the time to acquire the knowledge the way it should Moder Family is repulsive. Can TV, and prime time TV for that matter, fall any lower? I do not think so. The average American IQ when it comes to understanding foreign cultures and other groups that are not part of the heterosexual paradigm is -20, and this negative score is usually, and sadly, gained through TV since people do not take the time to acquire the knowledge the way it should be done: through personal contact and speech, studying how they express themselves, reading newspapers and literature, watching their films , etc. This show is only helping perpetrate the already existing equivocal stereotypes and, the worst part of all, increasing the already prevailing stupidity of the general public Expand
  6. Aug 20, 2010
    It's quite sad when the most entertaining thing about a show is a 10 year old. Rico Rodriguez is the only reason I would ever consider watching this horribly overrated show. Between the over-the-top Ty Burrel to the almost non-existent Jesse Tyler Ferguson, this show is an example of how unoriginal writers are becoming.
  7. JorgeH.
    Sep 27, 2009
    I found this show to be quite annoying, with only 1 exception. The gays are typical, the dad is THE most annoying person ever, and the 15 year old daughter he has is a typical slut who never listens to her parents blah blah blah.
  8. DanielB
    Nov 5, 2009
    Completely unfunny boring Office knock-off I'm shocked at how high the score is here
  9. ronp
    Oct 9, 2009
    The first episode was very good, but did it ever die quickly. Episode 2 was really bad, with almost no humorous moments. Maybe it can redeem itself in future episodes.
  10. ElizabethR
    Oct 2, 2009
    I didn't like the first episode. I missed the second one. Maybe it got better, but I am not sure if I will even try it again.
  11. PaulP.
    Sep 23, 2009
    The type of show that proves the only qualification to being a TV critic is to have watched as little TV as possible. A truly awful, manipulative, purposeless comedy. Well not completely purposeless, if your purpose is just to write bizarre situations just so college kids who haven't seen this approach a thousand times already think it's the last word in "different". Another The type of show that proves the only qualification to being a TV critic is to have watched as little TV as possible. A truly awful, manipulative, purposeless comedy. Well not completely purposeless, if your purpose is just to write bizarre situations just so college kids who haven't seen this approach a thousand times already think it's the last word in "different". Another Simpsons warmed over. Every situation is unrealistic and ever joke is obvious. Example: gay man who's just adopted a kid says his partner is "not overly dramatic" and the partner immediately appears in a paisley robe to present the baby while "Circle of Life" from the "Lion King" plays in the background. Doh! Here's a tip kids. It may be good for a sitcom to be "different", but it's imperative (!) for it to be funny. Oh, wait! That's the criterion for a modern TV reviewer. You have to have no sense of humor. Expand
  12. Notacritic
    Sep 29, 2009
    Didn't laugh once. Hated the camerawork. I guess I am not a critic, because I just don't get this show.
  13. Sep 23, 2014
    This series is on par with grandiose abomination. It is Damaging Children (tm) for profit. Children deserve both a mother and a father.

All forms of human trafficking are EVIL.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Dec 15, 2010
    This remains far and away the best prime-time sitcom: crisp and farcical, but very kind. [25 Oct 2010, p.37]
  2. Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    Modern Family is good. Better than good. Really good. O'Neil--dry and wonderful as ever--and Vergara (considerably less dry) are a winning combination.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Flitting among three storylines, it's smart, nimble and best of all, funny, while actually making a point about the evolving nature of what constitutes "family."