• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 23, 2009
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
8.7

1. May 2, 2013
    Very funny with well established characters where you get to know each and every person, their name, personality and how they interact with the others. Unlike in some shows where you are left thinking, who is that again, whats his name, this show sets a new standard for establishing characters.

The mix of the different family groups, from the 2nd marriage of Jay, the gay couple and the traditional family of 5. Ed (Jay) really steals the show, his acting and believable is extraordinary, even you initially think of him as Al (Married with Children) that doesn't survive the first episode and he is now a very different person, a family guy, successful with time for the kids, almost the exact opposite of his role as Al.

A few other standouts for me, are my favorite characters. Gloria cracks me up with her loud intrusive ways, Luke has a certain way about him, Cameron is just a bundle of fun and you just have to see him run and lastly Lily who I thought was a bit of a nothing early on, sat there and barely moved, is now a clever little evil genius.

Hope it continues for many years.

PS: We love you too Phil.
  2. May 3, 2013
    I love the show, it makes me laugh. The cast is great. The only problem is that the show is becoming worse and worse by the episode. They really need a huge jump to get my rating back at 10
  3. Aug 15, 2013
    The most delightful show on TV. A great cast, great lines, great stories in every episode. You just want more and more and more. I actually feel saddened when a season comes to an end, and I look forward to hearing about the next seasons!
  4. Jun 10, 2012
    I think this link has some of the most legitimate and well phrased reasons why this show is overrated: http://www.punchnels.com/features/five-reasons-i-hate-modern-family/ You can replace #3 and #5 for 'Mockumentary style has been done and done better - it does not make the show original,' and 'It's so BROAD and tries to appeal to every single person in the planet. They try to stuff soI think this link has some of the most legitimate and well phrased reasons why this show is overrated: http://www.punchnels.com/features/five-reasons-i-hate-modern-family/ You can replace #3 and #5 for 'Mockumentary style has been done and done better - it does not make the show original,' and 'It's so BROAD and tries to appeal to every single person in the planet. They try to stuff so much into one character that it's ridiculous. All what's on screen is what you WANT to see. People want to see a diverse family who's different from the bunch but also has fun and learns something at the end of everyday. ' And I think that the fact that this show is trying so hard to be diverse and is so in-your-face about it (seriously, diversity is basically the main topic) that it's actually insulting. People shouldn't be doing something to show others how diverse and open-minded they are - it should come from within and be a background thing - not something you boast. However, I think the reason why I dislike it so much is because the professional critics think this is comic gold and "genius". And that it sweeps the Emmys. It's a shame smarter, funnier tv shows aren't visible to people.
    As someone else said, the only saving grace is the actors. And maybe that it gets people off of shows like the Kardashians or Toddlers and Tiaras.
  5. Oct 4, 2012
    The show isn't horrible, but in my opinion, it isn't good either. I watched the first couple of seasons, but on the third season I got tired of the show. It truly surprises me why people like the show so much, there are a few jokes per episode, but in my opinion the rest of the episode is a huge waste of time.
  6. KMT
    Oct 3, 2010
    I love this show! I think it is so funny! The characters have such unique personalities. I think the funniest is the larger gay guy. He always cracks me up!
  7. Oct 17, 2010
    I enjoy this show every week with its hilarious characters to the exaggerated portrayal of a gay family. I find it funny that the critics providing a negative review here all sound identically the same by providing comments that have no substance. Are you anti-gay ? Thats too bad because a majority of these critics have that much more fun in life. If this show sucked how come they receivedI enjoy this show every week with its hilarious characters to the exaggerated portrayal of a gay family. I find it funny that the critics providing a negative review here all sound identically the same by providing comments that have no substance. Are you anti-gay ? Thats too bad because a majority of these critics have that much more fun in life. If this show sucked how come they received a award? Expand
  8. Jul 19, 2011
    Funny show, but not the greatest. I do LOVE all of characters. The comedy is refreshing and Cam and Phil are my favorites. I hate characters limits. I hate characters limits. I hate characters limits.
  9. Jan 4, 2014
    An intelligent and fresh comedy with an excellent cast. The way each episode unfolds will keep you bound wit itsmultilinear stories with rich structure and dialogues.
  10. AGK
    Dec 26, 2013
    I have to be honest here, when I first watched modern family I felt like I was watching a commercial until I saw the intro. the cameramen need to hold it in one place and the story line is just rubbish. not to mention the characters can be quite annoying.
  11. Nov 25, 2011
    The whole show feels remarkably cold and far too calculated. It seems like it was created in a boardroom somewhere by executives trying to make a show that is palatable enough to gain a large audience and appease critics alike. Modern Family is so familiar, simplistic and squeaky clean, it's no wonder how it appeals to such a large audience. But the constant recycling of every clicheThe whole show feels remarkably cold and far too calculated. It seems like it was created in a boardroom somewhere by executives trying to make a show that is palatable enough to gain a large audience and appease critics alike. Modern Family is so familiar, simplistic and squeaky clean, it's no wonder how it appeals to such a large audience. But the constant recycling of every cliche family sitcom character, storyline, and joke make this show unoriginal, unrealistic and bland. The cast of Modern Family is the only real saving grace. The actors' charm and likability make the show downright smile inducing at times (not often enough, unfortunately) and there's a healthy chemistry between the actors in their separate family units (although, for most, it doesn't extend beyond that). Ultimately it can make adequate filler for when there's nothing else on but don't waste any time changing the channel if there's a Cosby rerun you can find. Expand
  12. Apr 30, 2011
    This show is the worst thing to ever be put on television! I don't know what morn at ABC decided to put this on the air, but he should be ashamed at himself.The acting to far to over the top. the stories are stupid and will never happen.
  13. AlexH
    Dec 5, 2009
    Moder Family is repulsive. Can TV, and prime time TV for that matter, fall any lower? I do not think so. The average American IQ when it comes to understanding foreign cultures and other groups that are not part of the heterosexual paradigm is -20, and this negative score is usually, and sadly, gained through TV since people do not take the time to acquire the knowledge the way it should Moder Family is repulsive. Can TV, and prime time TV for that matter, fall any lower? I do not think so. The average American IQ when it comes to understanding foreign cultures and other groups that are not part of the heterosexual paradigm is -20, and this negative score is usually, and sadly, gained through TV since people do not take the time to acquire the knowledge the way it should be done: through personal contact and speech, studying how they express themselves, reading newspapers and literature, watching their films , etc. This show is only helping perpetrate the already existing equivocal stereotypes and, the worst part of all, increasing the already prevailing stupidity of the general public Expand
  14. Aug 20, 2010
    It's quite sad when the most entertaining thing about a show is a 10 year old. Rico Rodriguez is the only reason I would ever consider watching this horribly overrated show. Between the over-the-top Ty Burrel to the almost non-existent Jesse Tyler Ferguson, this show is an example of how unoriginal writers are becoming.
  15. JorgeH.
    Sep 27, 2009
    I found this show to be quite annoying, with only 1 exception. The gays are typical, the dad is THE most annoying person ever, and the 15 year old daughter he has is a typical slut who never listens to her parents blah blah blah.
  16. DanielB
    Nov 5, 2009
    Completely unfunny boring Office knock-off I'm shocked at how high the score is here
  17. ronp
    Oct 9, 2009
    The first episode was very good, but did it ever die quickly. Episode 2 was really bad, with almost no humorous moments. Maybe it can redeem itself in future episodes.
  18. Adam
    Feb 3, 2010
    Not painful, but not laugh out-loud funny. Worth a smile or two per show though.
  19. ElizabethR
    Oct 2, 2009
    I didn't like the first episode. I missed the second one. Maybe it got better, but I am not sure if I will even try it again.
  20. PaulP.
    Sep 23, 2009
    The type of show that proves the only qualification to being a TV critic is to have watched as little TV as possible. A truly awful, manipulative, purposeless comedy. Well not completely purposeless, if your purpose is just to write bizarre situations just so college kids who haven't seen this approach a thousand times already think it's the last word in "different". Another The type of show that proves the only qualification to being a TV critic is to have watched as little TV as possible. A truly awful, manipulative, purposeless comedy. Well not completely purposeless, if your purpose is just to write bizarre situations just so college kids who haven't seen this approach a thousand times already think it's the last word in "different". Another Simpsons warmed over. Every situation is unrealistic and ever joke is obvious. Example: gay man who's just adopted a kid says his partner is "not overly dramatic" and the partner immediately appears in a paisley robe to present the baby while "Circle of Life" from the "Lion King" plays in the background. Doh! Here's a tip kids. It may be good for a sitcom to be "different", but it's imperative (!) for it to be funny. Oh, wait! That's the criterion for a modern TV reviewer. You have to have no sense of humor. Expand
  21. Notacritic
    Sep 29, 2009
    Didn't laugh once. Hated the camerawork. I guess I am not a critic, because I just don't get this show.
  22. Jan 14, 2011
    This is really funny. Me and my family love it!
  23. Feb 24, 2013
    Watching this show is a waste of your time, I've seen a lot of the episodes and most of them are not very funny or amusing. I've usually chuckled a couple times with each episode but nothing more, I've even sat through about a fourth of the episodes and did not even laugh once. The humor in this show is so dry and colorless that it brings the entire show down. I would advise you to not watch it.
  24. Feb 3, 2013
    I can't seem to find a comedy that I actually like and find funny. Modern Family is no different, only the story line makes me want to keep watching. By story line I mean watching the kids grow up; some scenes really do touch my heart.
  25. Feb 19, 2014
    best comedy Tv show ever. Every character are very strong. it is very funny but there is lot to learn about life. i like the style of story telling. A well written story.
  26. SaraH
    Oct 15, 2009
    Love it love it love!! It makes me laugh each episode. I still can't believe someone other than HBO could create something so creative and funny! Perhaps this is a sign that networks are finally paying attention to something other than reality tv again!
  27. MoseS.
    Sep 24, 2009
    Absolutely hilarious!
  28. Dec 10, 2010
    Phenomenal cast. Clever writing. This is the perfect storm when it comes to sitcoms. They won the Emmy for a reason. If you're not watching this show then you are missing out.
  29. May 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Shot in the now popular ‘mockumentary’ style Modern Family focuses on the lives of an extended family and has been sweeping the boards at the Emmys since this very first season. Until I recently I hadn’t got around to watching the show as I wasn’t totally sure it’s ‘mainstream’ humour would appeal to me but, having now seen all twenty-four episodes, I can see why it has proven so popular with critics and viewers alike.

I still haven’t quite got past the fact that the ‘Office’ style talking to the camera doesn’t actually make any sense in this scenario but the most important thing, as it always is with a comedy show, is that it is funny. Aside from the two daughters of Phil and Claire, who for me often came across as petty and spiteful for no reason, each of the characters is likeable and well rounded and brought to life superbly by an excellent cast. The writing is sharp and heartfelt, without ever becoming too sentimental, making for a sit-com that the whole family can enjoy.
  30. Mar 23, 2016
    My first attempt at this series ended quickly as I didn't get the right feel. Then I stumbled upon a few episodes in the TV and decided to give it another spin. One of my best decisions.

The casting is superb (well apart from Lily and Luke, in some ways), dialogues and situations hilarious. Especially when you look at them from your own family's perspective. The show is consistent in

The show is consistent in quality throughtout it's 7 seasons and it's hard to find really poor episodes. It's easier to find pure gold here and there. Most of those situations could happen to you or me. It's just we wouldn't find a way out of them in such a funny or creative way.

What I got from this show is that I'd love to have a little bit more of Phil's enthusiasm in me, Claire's down-to-earth view, Gloria's confidence, Jay's ways of conveying lifetime's wisdom to his family. And I can see tiny bits of myself in them as well. Both when they make good and bad decisions.

At that's what makes this show great.
  31. Mar 16, 2015
    Fresh and uniquely funny. I love how every person in the family is so true to his or her character, that they always bring something new to the table. I enjoyed every episode, and looking forward to some in the future! I've not been laughing like this for a while now... and you gotta love Mr Phil! Easily the funniest character in any comedy series' history!
  32. May 26, 2012
    one of the funniest comedy shows i have seen since FRIENDS; which still remains my favorite. Modern Family is the best right now. I dont think there's been an episode where I havent laughed.
  33. Jul 10, 2014
    I found this show very enetetainment. I like how the has a variety of different characters and the families are different and the actkrs are outstanding. The episodes are each very interesting and hilarious therefore well written
  34. Apr 18, 2014
    How refreshing. In a land of gimmicky and uninspired television comedies, Modern Family remains one of the original, thoughtful and truly funny shows on television. The writing is surreal in it's smoothness and the combination of characters is just beautiful to watch. The sheer gayness of Eric Stonestreet as Cameron Tucker is worth the price of admission. Smart, smart, smart humor hereHow refreshing. In a land of gimmicky and uninspired television comedies, Modern Family remains one of the original, thoughtful and truly funny shows on television. The writing is surreal in it's smoothness and the combination of characters is just beautiful to watch. The sheer gayness of Eric Stonestreet as Cameron Tucker is worth the price of admission. Smart, smart, smart humor here with just the right amount of silliness. Quality without a doubt. Expand
  35. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    Modern Family is one of the most funniest television shows I've ever seen. Besides being funny, it's still a very good show and every episode has a creative plot.
  36. Oct 30, 2014
    This show use to be good...that is before it started winning awards. The last three seasons have literally been about preaching politically correctness rather than actually trying to be an entertaining sitcom which again it use to be.

Cancel the show and move on.
  37. Jan 24, 2016
    One of the most overrated TV shows in history I hasn't once made me laugh and I have had to sit through nearly every episode, it contains too much American comedy which I guess as a Brit I clearly don't get but it wasn't like this with The Simpsons.
  38. Jun 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Episode 14 of Season 1 is probably one of their best. Great Phil & Claire moments. Gloria, Mitch and Manny have a great C storyline in which Mitch and Manny cautiously confront Gloria about her reckless driving. Claire struggles back and forth with her old colleague's successes (played by Minnie Driver) eventually taking her back to show off her family life, the best compilation of disasters ensues. And in the A-story Jay and Cam play racket-ball and end up touching butts in the locker room. Probably one of the best team-ups of the series. If I was showing this show to someone and had limited time, I'd show them this episode 3rd. Expand
  39. Feb 16, 2015
    I love this show at first it was very hilarious and now its not as funny, but they always surprise me with that. I love Luke and Haley I love Phil and Claire's family dysfunctional, but well entertaining. And Alex.
  40. Sep 13, 2015
    one of the best comedy show on TV .. there is so much fun , hilarious situations and modern beautiful family . Especially i love Dunphy's family .. everyone should to take a cue from characters
  41. Nov 10, 2015
    My only criticism of this show is that the actor who plays Cam overplays the ‘gay role’ too much. What is ironic is that in real life he’s straight while his TV partner is gay.

Besides that most of the cast is great. “Phil” is a cross between Ozzie Nelson and Ozzie Osborne. “Jay” is Al Bundy, but older. “Gloria” just isn’t a teenage boy’s wet dream but has her comedic moments, especially when she gets mad. “Claire” is tolerable and does have her comedic moments.

At the bottom of the pile when it comes to entertainment value for the show are Gloria’s son (Manny) and the Dunphy kids.
  42. Apr 2, 2016
    Modern Family is one the best comedy series ever, its documentary type sit-com is just hilarious. Especially when they look at the camera, recent seasons are not as good as first seasons but it's very hard to keep up being fresh so it's normal. Almost every episode made me laugh and feel like I'm watching a real family at the same time.
  43. Sep 6, 2017
    Modern Family continues its tradition of the past few years: Being average in storytelling (and writing) with beautyfully built characters and great acting.
  44. Sep 20, 2016
    My husband and I watch this show while eating diner, this Modern Family is the type of show that has a funny episodes and amusing to us as a couple because some of the serinos are REAL life.

The show provided face funny situations. So, the show is entertaining. Gloria is awesome, as i can related to her spicy ways and attitude. I love the t "gay" humor that is squeezed into this

The show provided face funny situations. So, the show is entertaining.

Gloria is awesome, as i can related to her spicy ways and attitude.
    I love the t "gay" humor that is squeezed into this show, the guys are just fabulous.

I admit - one funny scene of this season was the imprinting of the ducklings. Particularly when Phil got them to finally follow him (because they thought he was Claire) and he did not even notice it and why. That was very funny.
    The details are still introduced with care and love - . the supermarket brand cereals tasting like sawdust.
    Phil's little pieces of "wisdom" are still great.

I really don't know why and see how there can be so much hate for this show out there. It is still much funnier than many other so-called comedies.
  45. Nov 26, 2017
    I absolutely love this show!!! This is honestly one of the greatest comedy shows I have ever seen. It's not easy to make me laugh, but watching this show I laughed out loud at numerous parts. It's definitely humorous, light-hearted, epic and unpredictable. I've probably seen every single episode, but I could still watch this over and over again. I love the characters, they all delivered anI absolutely love this show!!! This is honestly one of the greatest comedy shows I have ever seen. It's not easy to make me laugh, but watching this show I laughed out loud at numerous parts. It's definitely humorous, light-hearted, epic and unpredictable. I've probably seen every single episode, but I could still watch this over and over again. I love the characters, they all delivered an amazing performance in their roles. After numerous twists and turns, the ending is always powerful, epic and thought-provoking.
    I find this show different: the situations are hilarious, but underneath there's a heartwarming story. I like that all the characters are certain stereotypes of people, but they all have their own unique way. It definitely reflects the growing image of society's families nowadays. I love how they are showing three different families, but actually they're all one big family. There's a man in his sixties, with a foreign, young wife and her son. There's another family of a man, woman, and their two daughters and son. And then you have two gay man and their adopted Vietnamese daughter. Everyone is related. They're absolutely fantastic together. No doubt this show is entertaining and brings into a good mood.

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Dec 15, 2010
    This remains far and away the best prime-time sitcom: crisp and farcical, but very kind. [25 Oct 2010, p.37]
  2. Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    Modern Family is good. Better than good. Really good. O'Neil--dry and wonderful as ever--and Vergara (considerably less dry) are a winning combination.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Flitting among three storylines, it's smart, nimble and best of all, funny, while actually making a point about the evolving nature of what constitutes "family."