Modern Family : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 23, 2009
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
8.7

1. May 25, 2011
    A breath of fresh air in the comedy genre. The whole cast is likeable and the writing is superb. The best comedy on TV right now. If you haven't watched this yet then you are missing half your life, and I mean it.
  2. AF
    Oct 1, 2009
    Makes me laugh every week. Reminds me of The Office and Arrested Development. My one gripe is that the mockumentary style has been used too much lately.
  3. zach
    Oct 20, 2009
    The funniest new show of the fall possibly the year.
  4. TomB
    Oct 20, 2009
    This show is freaking hilarious... one of the sharpest comedies I've seen in a while and I've never been a fan of "The Office" type of docu-comedy genre.
  5. JustinM.
    Sep 23, 2009
    Finally! A well-written, thought out comedy on ABC.
  6. Matt
    Sep 24, 2009
    Very promising comedy. Half-hour of true to life quick, quirky-wit combining the heart of My Name is Earl and the smartness of Arrested Development. Hopefully this one will persist and have a good and appropriate run.
  7. KevinC
    Jan 8, 2010
    Basicly a rehash of the GREAT 2006 comedy series Sons & Daughters. Very Funny
  8. MikeM
    Oct 11, 2009
    Best new show of the year.
  9. ChrisC
    Nov 2, 2009
    I'm divided on this show. On one hand, it's a nice fresh take on sitcoms that defibrillators a creatively dead genre. Finally a show breaks sitcoms out of the dreary 'three camera + random interchangeable gags' formula. On the other hand, the stereotypically clueless male is way too cliche. He's the only character who would fit right in in Full House, and he drags I'm divided on this show. On one hand, it's a nice fresh take on sitcoms that defibrillators a creatively dead genre. Finally a show breaks sitcoms out of the dreary 'three camera + random interchangeable gags' formula. On the other hand, the stereotypically clueless male is way too cliche. He's the only character who would fit right in in Full House, and he drags down the entire show. Expand
  10. claraw
    Nov 5, 2009
    This is the best comedy since The Office. In fact, I think it is better!!!!
  11. Alexo
    Oct 19, 2009
    I NEVER watch sitcoms but a friend recommended this and I have to say I am hooked! This isn't just the best sitcom, it is one of the best shows on tv right now.
  12. RaymondR
    Oct 7, 2009
    Finally, a show that captures what it sets out to do in a great way. It's not filled with obvious jokes to make you laugh, but the subtlety of everyday situations are wonderfully projected in this series. I love the concept, love the characters, even though they may need some more development as the show goes on. But still, 3 episodes in and it's off to a great start. As opposed Finally, a show that captures what it sets out to do in a great way. It's not filled with obvious jokes to make you laugh, but the subtlety of everyday situations are wonderfully projected in this series. I love the concept, love the characters, even though they may need some more development as the show goes on. But still, 3 episodes in and it's off to a great start. As opposed to 'Community', which relies too much on stereotypes and using the guy from The Soup as a lead character. This is the best new series now, followed by Community, and dead last is Cougar Town. Expand
  13. AbhinavR.
    Sep 24, 2009
    Painfully funny and very clever. Looking forward to subsequent episodes.
  14. JohnD.
    Sep 24, 2009
    One of the best new comedy shows that I have seen in many seasons...The cast is quick, funny, and disfunctional, and the writers are to be commended...I will stick with it for the season...Just don't blow it cause your off to a good start.
  15. MichaelH
    Sep 25, 2009
    I lol (yes laughed out loud) from start to finish. Loved the surprise near the end.
  16. cydena
    Sep 28, 2009
    I love it and can not wait to watch the season. Its quirky, witty, and funny. I like the idea that even though they are their own separate individual family, they are tied together in some way (which you wouild find out from watching).
  17. Tim
    Jan 22, 2010
    Awesome show. keep up the great work and more episodes please.
  18. AndreaR.
    Oct 1, 2009
    This is without a doubt the best new show on television. An absolute pleasure to watch.
  19. GilbertD
    Nov 26, 2009
    Absolutely love it every episode i range between contented smile and belly laugh! The families are PERFECT for the show!
  20. AlanB
    Oct 13, 2009
    My wife and I love this show. It is the first thing to come on television in years that elicits belly laughs from the both of us in equal measure. Plus, its getting a lot of critical acclaim....so of course they're gonna cancel it.
  21. Tom
    Oct 15, 2009
    I hated the first episode - thought what is all the fuss about, then watched second episode loved it laughed more than I had in ages at t v comedy - for those who didn't like it first viewing try again - Along with The Middle the two best new comedies.
  22. Denebk
    Oct 16, 2009
    Fantastic, captures the absurdity of modern family life.
  23. MariaG
    Dec 10, 2009
    This is the only recent (as in the last twenty years) sitcom I like. No stupid, insulting one-liners or irritating innuendo.
  24. AngelaS.
    Dec 30, 2009
    Witty, fast , thoroughly entertaining for the whole family and in a quirky way more true to life than we'd like to admit! A real winner!
  25. LeeS
    Oct 26, 2009
    I have never laughed so much or so hard at a sitcom or been able to relate so easily with its characters. This is my new favorite show.
  26. PatrickM
    Oct 26, 2009
    I watch very little TV, but I go out of my way to catch Modern Family. Endlessly witty and entertaining, a must see.
  27. MichaelD
    Oct 29, 2009
    The best new show of the season. The acting can sometimes lack in a few characters but besides that, superb writing and believable performances carry the show. The Office is my favorite show, but this one is catching up in my books.
  28. DarrenL
    Oct 5, 2009
    This is a great show for every age and every demographics including for the first time gays. I'm in a long lasting relationship with my partner and we laugh nonstop. I'm glad it shows that two men can have a serious relationship and be funny at the same time.
  29. kateh
    Sep 23, 2009
    I knew "it" when I saw the first Cheers, Will and Grace, Frasier, Taxi, Barney Miller etc. etc. etc. and this one is in for a long ride, thank God an Intelligent well-written, well acted comedy. Thank You!!!!!!
  30. risatrix
    Sep 23, 2009
    Sure, this show tries a little too hard at points -- do we need to include every crazy permutation on the family? -- but the cast makes it work. And hell, anything with Ed O'Neill as a kinder, gentler Al Bundy can't be all bad.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Dec 15, 2010
    This remains far and away the best prime-time sitcom: crisp and farcical, but very kind. [25 Oct 2010, p.37]
  2. Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    Modern Family is good. Better than good. Really good. O'Neil--dry and wonderful as ever--and Vergara (considerably less dry) are a winning combination.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Flitting among three storylines, it's smart, nimble and best of all, funny, while actually making a point about the evolving nature of what constitutes "family."