• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 23, 2009
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6
8.7

1. May 25, 2011
    A breath of fresh air in the comedy genre. The whole cast is likeable and the writing is superb. The best comedy on TV right now. If you haven't watched this yet then you are missing half your life, and I mean it.
  2. Jul 3, 2011
    The key necessities of a good comedy are heart, meaning, realism, purpose, and devoted cast and crew. Modern Family is one of the few shows since Frasier to have all of these qualities. Especially realism, something that is becoming and issue with television and film lately. Modern Family correctly portrays the many versions of a truly "modern" family, branching from the traditional family to the advancing by the day homosexual couple. One of Modern Family's greatest strengths is its ability to create comedy that is not cliche and is not "gross-out" or strictly adult, as well as its ability to keep every character likable and steer clear of having a "butt-monkey" per say. Hopefully future generations will be able to watch and relate to this show, as it is truly one of the greats. Expand
  3. Jun 15, 2011
    ONe of the best mockumentarys ever.
    Damn THIS is funny :P
    The Characters are really awesome,all of them are special and new in the comedy scene,i think this show make it for a long time
  4. Oct 13, 2010
    I just finished watching the first season of this show, and quite honestly, it's hilarious. Every episode is well-written and fun to watch. Each family is funny in their own way, and although it does the same thing with the mockumentary idea as The Office, it has a completely different feel to it.
  5. Aug 2, 2011
    Nice hilarious comedy x 3. I loved the whole 3 couples, 1 family.
    All the performances are great the characters very well crafted for comedy. Totally consistent.
    It has touchy moments and it is really modern. A complete recommendation.
  6. Feb 1, 2012
    Modern Family's best comedy on TV. It's screamingly funny and different from other comedy series. Its successes prove to do that. Each character is great. I think, the secret of Modern Family's success is qualified a sense of humour and naturalness. It's better than other comedy series(HIMYM, TBBT, Glee etc.). By the way, my favorite char. is Phil Dunphy.
  7. Sep 7, 2010
    Nothing really much tackles the funny bone quite as much as Modern Family. Great show. TV's finest & funniest new comedy series currently. A real winner. & it's definitely up there with not only " The Office " & " Arrested Development " but as this show keeps its essence,flavour,viewership ratings & audience size, it will go down as 2 things. Greatest TV Shows of all-time & Greatest TV Sitcoms of all-time. Expand
  8. Nov 3, 2010
    This show is great, very few network shows are as good as this. The concept is not new but the amazing cast carries the show as one of the best of the year 2009.
  9. KMT
    Oct 3, 2010
    I love this show! I think it is so funny! The characters have such unique personalities. I think the funniest is the larger gay guy. He always cracks me up!
  10. Jan 17, 2011
    Modern Family's first season does a great job at flushing out a whole cast of interesting and hilarious characters, especially Eric Stonestreet as Cameron and Ty Burrell as Phil. The writing is witty and sharp, and it feels refreshing despite its universal premise.
  11. Oct 17, 2010
    I enjoy this show every week with its hilarious characters to the exaggerated portrayal of a gay family. I find it funny that the critics providing a negative review here all sound identically the same by providing comments that have no substance. Are you anti-gay ? Thats too bad because a majority of these critics have that much more fun in life. If this show sucked how come they received a award? Expand
  12. Feb 13, 2011
    Ever since The Office I have been searching for a Mockumentary that could make laugh. Modern Family seems to prove that sitcoms donâ
  13. Oct 25, 2010
    Modern Family combines a strong cast with good writing. Ed O'Neil and Julie Bowen have been doing this for years, and their experience really helps give the rest of the somewhat newbie cast a lift. In Season 2 you can really see the effect as some of the less experienced cast members come into their own. The mockumentary style worked for the Office, and it works for Family, especially the irrepressibly clueless Phil Dunphy. In a sea of mediocrity, Family stands out ... just ask your friends.

To be fair, there are a couple of minor issues with the show: the child actors, with the notable exception of Rico Rodriguez, are average (will improve with time), and the intelligence level in the story-lines is also average, but compared to shows like Two and a Half Men, it's a godsend.
  14. Oct 28, 2010
    This is what intelligent writing is all about. CBS (Mr. Chuck Lorre in particular) should try clicking over here to see how well a sit-com can be done.
  15. Nov 10, 2010
    Very entertaining show, I had to go out and purchase the 1st season on DVD. Love the Manny character and the father of all the sibling families. He has always been a favorite of mine as an actor.
  16. Apr 18, 2011
    If you enjoyed Arrested Development, you'd better start watching this gem right now. Chances are high that it will be canceled early because of a distinct lack of taste in today's TV viewing audience. It continues to mystify me how shows like this are ignored while inane drivel like 'How I Met Your Mother' and 'Two And A Half Men' boast good ratings.
  17. Dec 12, 2010
    I absolutely LOVE this show. The characters are great and very entertaining. I watched this show every week on tv and could not wait for the next episode and also recently bought it on dvd and have been watching episode after episode. I really love how different all of the characters are and how the storyline isn't like any other typical tv show's.
  18. Sep 17, 2012
    It's so refreshing to see a comedy that doesn't just treat it's homosexual characters as one-note gags, and as a complete package, Modern Family is a home-run. The actors are flawless, the writing is hilarious and the result is one of the best comedies on television.
  19. Jan 13, 2011
    What is it not to like about ''Modern Family''? Its situational comedy at its best with a high potential of being funnier (this sitcom hasnâ
  20. Feb 1, 2011
    A "laugh-out-loud" comedy every week. Each character is so diverse and comedic that you feel that you are watching a well-put-together variety show of family quirks. Manny's character has funny ideosynchrocies, but the actor who plays him needs some acting lessons, to say the least.
  21. Feb 5, 2011
    Every family has a goof, a geek, or that weird uncle that everyone hates to sit next to during Thanksgiving dinner. But one family in particular is known across America for having all three of these unleashed in weekly segments. Thatâ
  22. Feb 7, 2011
    Wow, I can't believe there is even one single negative review. This show is amazing on so many levels. If you don't find it Laugh out Loud funny every week, I'd seriously check your depression level. All the characters are great and the writing is phenomenal. Every week the show gets funnier and funnier. Wonderful job to by cast, writers, and creators of Modern Family and congratulations to ABC for picking up one of the very few good comedies left on Network TV. A+++++ Expand
  23. Mar 11, 2011
    This show is hilarious. I love the cast. The characters are so funny and likable. They are such a fun family and I love watching this show. I love the mocumentary style.
  24. Mar 21, 2011
    Simply, this is the most hilarious show I have ever watched in the history of my existence! I mean pure genius; if you watch this show you'll never stop laughing! Who ever came up with this idea thank you my prayers have been answered!
  25. Sep 18, 2012
    One of the funniest shows ever, right up there with arrested development. One of the funniest shows ever, right up there with arrested development....
  26. Aug 27, 2011
    Engraçadíssimo. O sistema de sempre dividir o elenco em, no mínimo, 3 histórias paralelas evita qualquer chance de enjoar do seriado. Ã
  27. Sep 22, 2011
    I considered Modern Family to be the best show, currently airing on television, there isn't a comedy show that's able to do what all crew and cast of Modern Family does, it's just pure animation and laugh when you watch the show, it's pretty much awesome and very well written in every single episode, with a very interesting story, and amazing characters, like Claire & Phil, Cam & Mitchel, Gloria & Jay, all the children, just amazing, they bring the story to a whole to level of comedy, best show on television, for sure. Expand
  28. Sep 8, 2011
    The best sitcom on television right now. This has smart writing, a cast literally full of great comedy performers, even the kids can be hilarious, and I haven't really seen that since Michael Cera in Arrested Development. Praise be to Modern Family.
  29. Sep 8, 2011
    I came on here expecting rave reviews, I simply do not understand how some people can rate this show poorly, it's laugh out loud funny and by far in a way one of the best new comedies I've saw in a long time. Those people who don't find it funny obviously have no sense of humour.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Dec 15, 2010
    This remains far and away the best prime-time sitcom: crisp and farcical, but very kind. [25 Oct 2010, p.37]
  2. Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    Modern Family is good. Better than good. Really good. O'Neil--dry and wonderful as ever--and Vergara (considerably less dry) are a winning combination.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Flitting among three storylines, it's smart, nimble and best of all, funny, while actually making a point about the evolving nature of what constitutes "family."