Mr. Selfridge : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jan 6, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3
6.8

1. Apr 3, 2013
    Rarely have I seen a series where the cast is excellent EXCEPT for the lead. Mr. Piven is overacting in egregious fashion. But the plots are intriguing, the players consummate and photography and art direction sublime. I just look forward to the Selfridge-less scenes.
  2. Jun 3, 2013
    I have never been more passionate about how much I dislike an actor's performance until I saw Piven as Selfridge. To mention this show in the same breath as Downton Abbey leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

1. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Apr 1, 2013
    The sets and costuming are top-notch. The musical score is brash, if redundant. The personal dramas range from silly to
diverting.
  2. Reviewed by: Sara Smith
    Apr 1, 2013
    Mr. Selfridge really gets rolling in its third and fourth episodes, when its interlocking stories and Piven’s outsize performance settle into place.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Apr 1, 2013
    As drama, it's uneven, often cliched, even silly, but, like the store in which it's set--and whose ground floor, mezzanine and facade have been splendidly re-created--so variously stocked that you will likely find something here to take home.