• Network: PBS , ITV
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 6, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
7.0

1. Dec 19, 2014
    It's a great drama with colorful characters, that presents this historical period in a delightful ways. It really lights up this period and brings it to life.
  2. Dec 13, 2014
    I actually like this one, well played, maybe even usurped by Piven. It's coresponding a little with Downton Abbey and you might consider it like some kind of supplement to this show, focusing more on London and actuall change of sociaty (not only upper class like in DA).
  3. May 25, 2014
    The second season is much better than the first. Jeremy Piven has somewhat toned down his infuriating mugging (especially in reaction shots) and the rest of the cast is marvelous. The old dramatic standby of World War I is hauled out once again (Upstairs, Downstairs; Downton Abbey; The Duchess of Duke Street, etc.) to full effect. As always, the settings are sumptuous and the plotting isThe second season is much better than the first. Jeremy Piven has somewhat toned down his infuriating mugging (especially in reaction shots) and the rest of the cast is marvelous. The old dramatic standby of World War I is hauled out once again (Upstairs, Downstairs; Downton Abbey; The Duchess of Duke Street, etc.) to full effect. As always, the settings are sumptuous and the plotting is lively. Everything just seems so much self-assured than it did in year one. And I remain hopelessly infatuated with dear Agnes. Expand
  4. Apr 26, 2014
    I love Mr. Selfridge! Jeremy Piven is awesome. He is naturally an actor that is easy to love. What I like is that he plays a passionate, kind, intelligent, and caring business man. He is so convincing. Yes, we all love/hate and miss Ari Gold (Entourage) terribly in my house.. but lets move on and appreciate what is new and the wonderful talent he once again brings to us. He is SOI love Mr. Selfridge! Jeremy Piven is awesome. He is naturally an actor that is easy to love. What I like is that he plays a passionate, kind, intelligent, and caring business man. He is so convincing. Yes, we all love/hate and miss Ari Gold (Entourage) terribly in my house.. but lets move on and appreciate what is new and the wonderful talent he once again brings to us. He is SO underrated.

Love Frances O'Conner! And though I don't know many of the other actors or their work they are all making their way into my heart. It's a GREAT show. It's very refreshing.
  5. Mar 29, 2014
    I can't believe some of the shots Jeremy Piven is taking here. His skills are excellent and he truly IS the show. That said, the show does not revolve solely on him and the supporting cast, subplots and secondary storylines are very well done and given proper airtime.
    This show, while not breaking down any walls, is wonderfully written and produced. If I have any criticism, it's that most of the girls are way too skinny. Especially in those oldtime dresses and skirts. Please find some T&A for season 3!
    But what this show displays for all others to use it's example is that: With 10 hour long episodes per season, each episode is in and of itself complete. While there are always some cliffhangers on a small level, every hour takes you from a beginning to an end resolution. Something a lot of cable networks fail to deliver on these days while being lazy and self indulgently dragging weak stories into multiple seasons.
  6. Mar 5, 2014
    After watching only one episode, I can tell you it's one of the worst acted and directed programs I've seen in a very long time. The characters are wooden, Piven is abominable - a caricature of an American. If it doesn't improve, I won't be watching. It was truly a painful experience.
  7. Feb 6, 2014
    What on earth are 1940-1950s style hairdos doing in a series set in 1909? No self respecting woman would have had shoulder length hair even if it meant getting a wig or hairpiece. Rather, it would have been very long hair piled up on the head. What a load of ridiculous rubbish!
  8. Jul 18, 2013
    Thoroughly enjoy the show! Jeremy Piven started off slow, but has proven to hold the role. Like the flow of characters & story line. And that not only is it "fact" based, the store is still in existence. Look forward to next Season!
  9. Jun 28, 2013
    I really wanted to like this. I love period pieces, and enjoyed both Downton and Call the midwife from PbS. This one was really disappointing. Piven's acting was not good, but he wasn't the only one to blame. There's a lot of subpar dialogue and some shockingly bad video editing at times. I couldn't make it through the 4th episode without dropping this; too many good shows to seeI really wanted to like this. I love period pieces, and enjoyed both Downton and Call the midwife from PbS. This one was really disappointing. Piven's acting was not good, but he wasn't the only one to blame. There's a lot of subpar dialogue and some shockingly bad video editing at times. I couldn't make it through the 4th episode without dropping this; too many good shows to see without wasting my time on this one!

saw this was picked up for a second season, and if I see really good reviews of that then who knows, maybe I will try to power through to catch back up. Otherwise I would say to avoid this.
  10. Jun 18, 2013
    Absolutely love it. The hour goes so fast I can't believe when it's over. The many different story lines going on and interesting characters has me hooked. Also great costumes and sets.
  11. Jun 3, 2013
    I have never been more passionate about how much I dislike an actor's performance until I saw Piven as Selfridge. To mention this show in the same breath as Downton Abbey leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
  12. May 31, 2013
    Love it!! I can't wait to see more of it. The characters are well defined. Mr. Selfridge is a successfully driven man with a past that motivates him to step outside of the box to stay ahead of his competitors. He's not afraid to take a chance..I like his entrepreneur spirit. He cares about his employees and he brings out the best in them. But the downside of that driven success is that hisLove it!! I can't wait to see more of it. The characters are well defined. Mr. Selfridge is a successfully driven man with a past that motivates him to step outside of the box to stay ahead of his competitors. He's not afraid to take a chance..I like his entrepreneur spirit. He cares about his employees and he brings out the best in them. But the downside of that driven success is that his family is suffering. I think we all can identify with the characters in some way. Great show... Expand
  13. May 5, 2013
    Promising follow-on to Downton given the period, setting and production quality. The sets and costumes are sumptuous and the multiple story lines interesting, but we still tuned out after the first two episodes. Jeremy Piven ruined it: overacted, out-of-step, and a far too modern persona for ~1910's England. Instead, suggest using an empty refrigerator box to stage your own period drama.
  14. Apr 3, 2013
    Rarely have I seen a series where the cast is excellent EXCEPT for the lead. Mr. Piven is overacting in egregious fashion. But the plots are intriguing, the players consummate and photography and art direction sublime. I just look forward to the Selfridge-less scenes.
  15. Mar 31, 2013
    I found this show almost unwatchable when it aired in the UK over the past couple of months. Piven's overacting and the tedious script ruined a story that has huge potential. I'd avoid if I were you

1. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Apr 1, 2013
    The sets and costuming are top-notch. The musical score is brash, if redundant. The personal dramas range from silly to
diverting.
  2. Reviewed by: Sara Smith
    Apr 1, 2013
    Mr. Selfridge really gets rolling in its third and fourth episodes, when its interlocking stories and Piven’s outsize performance settle into place.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Apr 1, 2013
    As drama, it's uneven, often cliched, even silly, but, like the store in which it's set--and whose ground floor, mezzanine and facade have been splendidly re-created--so variously stocked that you will likely find something here to take home.