• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 10, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3
7.2

1. Dec 1, 2012
    Nashville is the best new series on TV this season. It is extremely satisfying to see broadcast TV get the music business right - or even mostly right. The characters have depth I've rarely seen in commercial television, and the actors are all pitch perfect. This show has everything you'd want - social relevance, human angst, love, honor, duty....... It's all there. I hope future episodes match the stellar beginning of its first few - and I hope the network has the sense to keep renewing it. This is a must see. Bravo! Expand
  2. Oct 11, 2012
    This is so far my favorite new show of the year. The writing is good and the acting is incredible. That is what happens when you hire talented people like Connie Britton as opposed to Tracy Spiridakos (who plays Charlie in Revolution). The pilot laid out all the different story lines we would be seeing through out the season which proves they have an actual idea of where to take the show. They are not just writing episode to episode. I would recommend watching it. Expand
  3. Nov 9, 2012
    The show is flat and sexless. It demands to be on a pay channel. ABC has this show on a short leash, and its the breed of show that can only thrive if you set it free.
  4. Nov 14, 2012
    I am not a country fan, but I do love this show. There are several compelling characters, there's no black and white and you suffer with the characters without them being too sentimental. Hope this continues!
  5. Nov 23, 2012
    The best drama of the fall season 2012/2013, good acting, good story and addictive songs. Nashville is a great surprise for audience. Connie Britton and Hayden Panettiere shine on screen.
  6. Oct 11, 2012
    Nashville is an incredibly unpredictable show filled with amaZayn cast. LoveIT!!!! It provides normally unattainable views of how celebrities live, even though only one episode aired, one can tell it is going to be spectacular
  7. Oct 13, 2012
    It's hard to know where exactly this show will go, but so far I have seen a lot of promise. Connie Britton is the new Candice Bergen, she's just electric.
  8. Oct 16, 2012
    It reminds me of a tv version of the movie Country Strong. Moving with the times or be left out. It seems to be plodding along nicely, great cast and writing is not bad. The pilot was likeable and ambitious. It doesn't cater for the kids like Glee does but a more respectful audience and therefore instantly gets credit. I'll continue watching and see where it goes.
  9. Nov 7, 2012
    The show essentially is a well written soap opera but what makes it authentic is the music. I'm not a fan of country music but even I have to admit, the music is fantastic.
  10. Dec 2, 2012
    This is arguably the best new show of the fall season. The cast itself is amazing, with Connie Britton and Hayden Panettiere as the leads. Not only is the writing and the soap elements of this drama amazing, but the music and the voices of the actors are amazing as well. This show has a massive appeal and hopefully will continue to live up to it's premise.
  11. May 14, 2013
    As many have pointed out, the show is a soap opera, though an unusually deft one. Largely due to excellent writing, the characters are convincingly complex and fallible, and the actors--particularly those playing musicians--do a good job of displaying the necessary onstage charisma while dealing with offstage tendencies and problems that are much less glamorous. What these actors don't do very well is sing. Both Connie Britton and Hayden Panettiere have sweet but small voices with no dynamics, and, though I can believe that teen and tween fans have put Panettiere's Juliette on the charts, I cannot believe that Britton's Rayna has stayed on top for a generation, especially as an interpreter of other people's songs. But, as the production of the show's songs is very slick, most viewers will like them, unaware that modern technology can make anyone sound okay. I just wish Callie Khouri had opted to hire a great country singer for Rayna's performances; then I wouldn't have such a hard time appreciating the difference between her "storied career" and Juliette's "flash in the pan." As it is, they sound more alike than different; Rayna is merely older Expand
  12. Nov 17, 2012
    This is the best new show this fall (2012). It's hard to believe the music for the show is so well done. This is a soap type show with all kinds of drama.
  13. Nov 19, 2012
    Probablys falls mosy satisfying new drama
  14. Nov 23, 2012
    I sincerely tried to watch this show. I watched the first show and was bored to tears. I tried the second episode and was so bored that I could not make it all the way through. It is a very nitch show and I am not part of that group. God Bless ya if you can sit through this hour of misery every week.
  15. Nov 24, 2012
    I liked the pilot but got kind of slow. Im sad because im a big fan of Connie Brritton.
  16. IAC
    Nov 25, 2012
    Good start, but by the fifth episode has already lost all sense of direction and conflict. First three eps had great tension between Connie and Hayden's characters, but that's been dropped by the wayside in favor of some uninspired political drama. This show needs to pick a direction and go with it, pony up and make some bolder choices. Great cast, great performances, great music (even if it's not your genre), but its taken a dip far too soon and needs to get back on track. Expand
  17. Dec 14, 2012
    This show became addictive for me. I payed no attention to it when it premiered (Country music? Not MY thing!) but one boring day thought I'd check it out on the internet and couldn't stop watching!!! In a matter of a couple days I've seen all the available episodes and am begging for more! The songs on average are pretty good but a few of them are truly beautiful. I'm glad they are being released for download.

P.S. I didn't know Hayden Panettiere could sing!
  18. Jan 9, 2013
    I find that in all my personal troubles and personally not being a country music fan, this show takes me away and lets me disconnect and bepart of the lives of Reina, Juliette, Deacon, Gunner and the fountain of funny country music names! I really enjoy the show, the acting, strangely the music and the entire drama(premise) of the show. I think the background characters including Juliette's drug addict mom, Deacon and his band of recuperated addicts, Reina's father/sister relationship.. Everything is just well done. I even enjoy how Juliette is possibly falling for her total opposite boyfriend, perhaps because he is the 1st to treat her different and with respect. Thanks to the people that made this show happen, you are real, you are current and you still let people like me, leave our troubles and enjoy a moment of disconnect without lament.🌟 Expand
  19. Jan 28, 2013
    I LOVE this show. One of the best of the year so far and it keeps the dramatic plot going. I think the characters all have something to give and it intrigues the audience. The cast is awesome!
  20. Jan 28, 2013
    Great show great cast :) Love the acting and love love the music. Im not really even a fan of country music but every song on this show is awesome. Cant wait for season 2!
  21. Jan 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nashville is an OK show. It's not hard to impress me, all it takes is a good story line. At one point I thought the original storyline took a sharp turn, but it sure did come back. The series starts off with Rayna James and Juliette Barnes being opposites, but towards where the season is now, they partner up with the tour. I like how the writing took a turn like that. This is a great show, but it isn't at the absolute top of my list. Expand
  22. Feb 1, 2013
    Best show going! Music is great, characters are interesting and lots of entertaining drama. Soapy for sure but it's cool. If you like country music, it's even better!
  23. Feb 8, 2013
    When I first saw the promos for Nashville I thought it looked really good. Now I like some country music but I'm not exactly a real country music buff. So while I liked the actors who were in it from the start I wasn't exactly sure how long I would be hanging in because of the country music theme. The cast is great. I love Connie Britton and Hayden Panettiere. They're both terrific. Except for the storyline involving Kimberly Williams Paisley's character, I'm invested in the stories. I hope this show is around for a while. Expand
  24. Feb 14, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of Connie Britton and Country music, so I really wanted to like this show. It hasn't disappointed. Maybe too many soapy plot threads running around, and Rayna's corrupt daddy (played poorly by Powers Boothe) is sooo tired and cliche; but other than that there's lots to like. Music by T Bone Burnett, great cast and characters. Great "Inside music industry" stuff. I love this show.
  25. Apr 24, 2013
    I had about given up on TV with the senseless reality shows...til Nashville came along. I am a professional musician..this show is incredible. Music, the acting...these actors sing better than most of the mega stars and the acting is a 10. Great writing, great casting. I believe in TV again. Way to go, this show is tops.
  26. MHD
    May 6, 2013
    Woooow Its The Best Drama Show This Year I don't Listen To Country Music But The Show Makes Me Love Country Music A Perfect Acting A Great Story I'm So Exited To Continue Watching This Show I Think He Should Take A Lot Of Emmys
  27. Jul 31, 2013
    Who ever thought that Hayden "Claire" Panettiere could upstage Connie "Tami" Britton? Well, it just happened on the season finale of ABC's brilliant soap, Nashville. Both actresses are extraordinary in their roles and deserve everything that will soon come their way. (Emmys, perhaps.)
  28. Oct 6, 2013
    Nashville was one of my favourite new shows from 2012 but towards the end it felt a bit predictable. However the performances by both Connie Britton and Hayden Panettiere were good.
  29. Nov 21, 2013
    Connie Britton is an impressive actress who brought depth and credibility to her breakout role in Friday Night Lights. She gives this show her full effort, but unfortunately it’s not worthy of her considerable chops. It does underscore how even great performers can't save fundamentally rotten material. Ms. Britton seemed to confess in the NYTimes feature article on her not long ago that she took this part reluctantly. But a girl's gotta eat, and you can't blame her for giving this a go. But it's an embarrassment, a hokey, superficial soap opera aimed at the hormonal set and consisting of tiresome relationship musical chairs, predictable stereotypical plots and clichéd characters. The plot turns are obvious and creaky, bearing scant resemblance to anything real people actually do. In this it is most unlike Britton's previous series, which almost always felt like it was about real people. In fact, the one time that show strayed from its honest portrayal wa in season two when network interference pushed it in Nashville’s tawdry direction, veering from an intelligent program aimed at thinking adults to yet another teeny hookup show full of preposterous events, all designed to get the characters sleeping together in random sequence. Interestingly, Ms.Britton’s FNL character stayed largely above the ridiculous stuff, but she has not had as much luck rising above the muck in Nashville. FNL righted itself in the 3rd season and from there stayed on track, but Nashville is so far off track it's left the building, and it's not coming back. Expand
  30. Nov 28, 2013
    Nashville would have worked better as a miniseries than as an open-ended television show. The first season was great the tensions, the high drama, the villains, the surprisingly palatable country music.

But as any soap opera goes on, it necessarily becomes more and more ridiculous trying to top itself. Eventually, everyone's slept with everyone; everyone's been everyone's friend and
    everyone's enemy; we've seen murders and suicides and near-death experiences and kinky sex and infidelity of every flavor and at that point, the characters and story border on the absurd.

Even by Season 2, Nashville is starting to feel utterly ridiculous. It's definitely worth buying a box set of the first season, but you may want to do yourself a favor and just consider that to be the show in its entirety.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 22, 2012
    Nashville is the best new show of the fall. [29 Oct 2012, p.37]
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Bianco
    Oct 11, 2012
    It's a sprawling story, held together with music--though unlike Glee or Smash, most of the songs are presented on this night in truncated bursts.... While that could mean trouble, set worries aside for one night, and simply enjoy the season's best, most enjoyable new hour.
  3. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Oct 11, 2012
    Nashville feels fresh because it catches a different tone. The few ironic winks it makes do not disfigure its straight face for quality pulp, nor does the sincerity harden into hokum.