New Girl : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 20, 2011
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
7.8

1. Jan 18, 2013
    Have just split from her long term boyfriend Jess (Zooey Deschanel) answers an internet ad from three guys looking for a new roommate. The opening couple of episodes are passable, doing a good job of introducing the different characters as well as being fairly humorous in places. From then on much of your enjoyment of the show will largely depend on how you feel about Deschanel
  2. Mar 25, 2012
    It starts very badly but it does get better. In the 1st few episodes Jess is just stupid, the guys she lives with are boring and just nothing funny happens, but once it gets going it all the characters get better and it gets a lot funnier. EDIT: Actually, after a few good episodes, then it goes back to sucking again.
    Overall, don't bother, 30 Rock and Happy endings are better.
  3. Oct 10, 2013
    New Girl, in its first season, is a somewhat fun sitcom. It definitely improves after the first couple of episodes. At the beginning it is slow but the characters develop and you can relate to them!
  4. Jun 4, 2013
    This is a comedy that's actually funny, something that's kinda hard to accomplish. I'm sure if you watch this show, you'll agree with me. I disagree with the negative reviews!
  5. Mar 20, 2013
    Funny, charming, and cute. All Zooey Deschanel characteristics, and this show is carried by her for the most part. It has its misfires, and it's not really rooted in reality, but the characters grow on you. An enjoyable sitcom. 6.9/10
  6. Dec 30, 2011
    Who doesn't love Zooey Deschanel? This show took a little time to find its footing, but once it did, it turned into a charming comedy with a few laughs here and there. Hopefully people will watch it.
  7. Sep 23, 2011
    Amazing Zoey , good story , funny and .......Amazing Zoey Amazing Zoey Amazing Zoey ! New girl will be one of the top show in this season . It could go long because it has really funny characters .
  8. Oct 6, 2013
    What hooked me about this show is its awkwardness, quirkiness and amazingly funny characters. Zooey Deschanel is an amazing actress. Jess, Schmidt, Nick, and Winston are an overall great group of characters. New Girl season 1 is great and season 2 is even better. I just wish they would have left Wayans Jr. as Coach on the show.
  9. Sep 30, 2011
    Not as good as Raising Hope (which it airs immediately before) or Parks and Recreation (the best show on TV) but it is miles than Glee (which it airs immediately after) and is probably the best new show of the season. Zooey Deschanel is adorable.
  10. Sep 22, 2011
    As a single het guy who lived with two single het women, platonically, as roommates for three years, I have to say the female character on this show probably has a better deal than I had. It's a great learning experience, and if the show can resist making two of the primary characters hook up, then there are a good many situational opportunities for comedy. I repeat, the secret to thisAs a single het guy who lived with two single het women, platonically, as roommates for three years, I have to say the female character on this show probably has a better deal than I had. It's a great learning experience, and if the show can resist making two of the primary characters hook up, then there are a good many situational opportunities for comedy. I repeat, the secret to this show staying fresh is to not have her fall in love with any of her roommates. As soon as the writers break that rule, the show will get predictable. Also, don't dumb down the male characters, smart men are funny.
    A tentative 6/10 because I'm hoping the arc is on an upward trajectory.
  11. Sep 27, 2011
    Probably the best new comedy pilot of the season, I like the concept, the leads do a good job and the jokes actually had me laughing! I am definitely rooting for this sitcom!
  12. Oct 15, 2013
    After a slow start with the first episode, this show quickly became one of my favorites. I watched the first two seasons quite quickly on Netflix, and it's great to see the characters actually grow and change. It's quirky and fun, and quite funny.
  13. Feb 3, 2012
    Now this is the kind of comedy that was destined to win my heart from the very first watch and it did. The only reason i was excited about watching this show was Zooey Deschannel and didn't quite cared for anything else but i found out how sweet and well written show it turned out. Very funny with sweet, cute moments and Zooey performs amazing, Jess is such a great character. A lovelyNow this is the kind of comedy that was destined to win my heart from the very first watch and it did. The only reason i was excited about watching this show was Zooey Deschannel and didn't quite cared for anything else but i found out how sweet and well written show it turned out. Very funny with sweet, cute moments and Zooey performs amazing, Jess is such a great character. A lovely quirky, goofy and innocent comedy is one the best new TV comedy of 2011 and i am lovin' it. Expand
  14. Sep 10, 2015
    One of the best comedy series!!! Talented actors, great, funny and interesting plot!!!The best for having a quick eye on television(about 20 minutes per episode)
  15. May 22, 2012
    The show is good but not great. There are scenes that are great, there are scenes that are too cheesy, there are scenes that are very connective and there are scenes that are too lousy. Zooey Deschanel really did act great in the show, but sometimes she's too goofy. Not the best sitcom, but it's good.
  16. Sep 21, 2011
    A few smiles. A few groans. Have the feeling the title character may bug the hell out of me before too long though. But my biggest problem with the pilot was the totally forced "happy" ending. The guys ditching the party to support "the new girl" who'd just been stood up and the lengths they went to cheer her up were completely unearned, story-wise. Up to that point, they mostly justA few smiles. A few groans. Have the feeling the title character may bug the hell out of me before too long though. But my biggest problem with the pilot was the totally forced "happy" ending. The guys ditching the party to support "the new girl" who'd just been stood up and the lengths they went to cheer her up were completely unearned, story-wise. Up to that point, they mostly just seemed annoyed with her. To sum up, it's another average sitcom pilot that could go either way. Expand
  17. Sep 11, 2013
    This show has caught me off guard--completely. The pilot episode was not a WOW factor but when Damon Wayans left and his replacement stepped in things felt more natural and in sync. The whole gang is just hilarious. The acting, the writing and the comedic timing is pitch perfect. Its warm, funny, and Jess is so deliciously adorable---she can wear on you but she her quirkiness and uniqueThis show has caught me off guard--completely. The pilot episode was not a WOW factor but when Damon Wayans left and his replacement stepped in things felt more natural and in sync. The whole gang is just hilarious. The acting, the writing and the comedic timing is pitch perfect. Its warm, funny, and Jess is so deliciously adorable---she can wear on you but she her quirkiness and unique individuality is refreshing and charming. I am not easy going when it comes to comedy but this show has stole my attention completely. This show IS the best, for me that is for so many reasons but mostly because it speaks to me. The language of Jess and her very entertaining yet endearing roommates is familiar to me. Kudos to the writers of this show!!!! Expand
  18. Dec 15, 2011
    This show is getting better every week since its debut. And when it is good, it is amazing, hilarious, well-acted and well written. The actor that plays Schmidt, Max Greenfield, is proving to be a break-out star. His scenes alone are worth watching the show for. The problem with the show is the cheesy tie-up scene that they always have at the end! Are these cheesy, "adorkable" scenesThis show is getting better every week since its debut. And when it is good, it is amazing, hilarious, well-acted and well written. The actor that plays Schmidt, Max Greenfield, is proving to be a break-out star. His scenes alone are worth watching the show for. The problem with the show is the cheesy tie-up scene that they always have at the end! Are these cheesy, "adorkable" scenes really necessary? The writers must think so, because week in and week out I am cringing at the ending of this show! Please, New Girl writers, get rid of these cheesy tie up scenes! Then the show would be perfect. Expand
  19. Jul 11, 2013
    Jess becomes annoying as all hell at times with her hipster ways, but this is overall a solid new show. I liked the writing and various characters in the loft. Excited for season 2.
  20. Sep 17, 2012
    A lot of the reviews of this show seem to hinge on where you stand in relation to Zooey Deschanel's unique brand of hipster adorability. Fans of Zooey either love the show because she's so cute in it, or hate the show because her interminable cuteness can't save it from banality. Those who can't stand Zooey Deschanel hate the show because they can't stand Zooey Deschanel. Before watchingA lot of the reviews of this show seem to hinge on where you stand in relation to Zooey Deschanel's unique brand of hipster adorability. Fans of Zooey either love the show because she's so cute in it, or hate the show because her interminable cuteness can't save it from banality. Those who can't stand Zooey Deschanel hate the show because they can't stand Zooey Deschanel. Before watching "New Girl" I was completely ambivalent to Zooey Deschanel, and I still am - this show is successful because of the chemistry between its ensemble cast including Jake Johnson, Max Greenfield and Lamorne Morris as new girl Jess's room-mates. These three provide the comedy, and Jess's adorkability is satirised rather than celebrated. Jake Johnson is hilarious and immensely likeable as Nick, the guy you laugh AT, not WITH; Lamorne Morris's Winston is witty, flawed and endearing, and Schmidt (Max Greenfield) is wickedly funny, a compelling blend of madness and mania: think Tom Cruise when he's jumping on couches or talking about Scientology. Jess is exactly what you expect her to be; an eccentric, creative, doe-eyed, hair-twirling ingénue whom the boys instinctively protect and nurture. Jess sort of mothers them in return, and there are some genuinely heart-warming moments among the four, five if you include the beautiful Hannah Simone as Jess's best friend Cecilia. I actually can't stand Zooey's haircut, and I wish she wouldn't wear so many tiny skirts and high-waisted shorts. I find some of her interactions too eccentric to be credible - at times she seems to go out of her way to be quirky and unconventional - but I did find myself liking Jess, largely because of the way she seemed to electrically charge the group dynamic. Regardless of how you feel about Zooey Deschanel, the best thing about this show is that it's funny. I haven't laughed out loud so much since Arrested Development, and I don't often laugh out loud watching sitcoms. But this is no standard sitcom rehash. It's witty, modern, sharply edited and well paced. It's quality comedy. At the very least, you can't not laugh at Schmidt. Expand
  21. Sep 23, 2011
    Well, this is just another sad sitcom, and NO Zooey Deschanel is not good enough to make a bad sitcom look descent (she's not Christina Applegate or Julia Louis-Dreyfus). You'd think people would get tired of these "This is how men work, and this is how women work" sitcoms, but apparently they're not.
  22. Jul 11, 2012
    i cant wait until the 2nd season because it is so funny i love how she just breaks out into song at any given moment and when i saw her on bones i thought she was so funny and now both very talented sisters have there own show on the same channel makes it even better
  23. Nov 5, 2011
    New Girl is one of the brightest spots on TV. Zooey Deschanel is utterly charming and completely irresistible! I've truly loved the episodes so far because of the writing, directing, editing, and wonderful supporting cast. Keep up the good work!
  24. Sep 25, 2011
    I'm not a hardcore Zooey fan but I love this show so far. Yes, she is super dorky in this show but after a bit into the pilot it actually started to work. I was actually laughing out loud. The other characters add a nice balance and I'm looking forward to seeing more. I think those who weren't too keen on the pilot should give this show a couple more episodes before they quit it.
  25. Sep 8, 2012
    Deschanel's new show is a hit! The interaction among the cast is what makes this comedy so attractive since it premiered. Love the show, love the cheesy moments, love the guys and, of course, love Zoey's Jess Day, an awkward teacher and her irreverent personality which, I think, creates the show's adorable and hilarious atmosphere.
  26. Jun 18, 2013
    PURE MAGIC Zooey Deschannel is perfect for this show. The humour is simple but yet so funny and memorable one of those shows that needs more recognition...I just love the way it is written and it follows a good story TOP KNOTCH
  27. Sep 24, 2011
    you've got to be kidding me. This show is hilarious and strongly character-driven by Zooey. I can't get enough of her quirkiness. After one episode I can tell something special is happening here....I can see Zooey ranked up there with strong female leads such as Lucille Ball and Carol Burnett, and their hasn't been any strong female leads since. Zooey is unstoppable and the 1st episodeyou've got to be kidding me. This show is hilarious and strongly character-driven by Zooey. I can't get enough of her quirkiness. After one episode I can tell something special is happening here....I can see Zooey ranked up there with strong female leads such as Lucille Ball and Carol Burnett, and their hasn't been any strong female leads since. Zooey is unstoppable and the 1st episode shows a huge range of comedy that i'm dying to see where she can take this. Expand
  28. Oct 7, 2011
    I was enjoying the pilot until the end when one of the characters behaved so inhumanly that it almost soured the taste of the whole episode for me. Zooey is great here and the main attraction of the show. Unfortunately, she doesn't have a supporting cast to back her. The guys are pretty bland. I can't help but feel that Officer Leo can't believe that he got this role and comes off asI was enjoying the pilot until the end when one of the characters behaved so inhumanly that it almost soured the taste of the whole episode for me. Zooey is great here and the main attraction of the show. Unfortunately, she doesn't have a supporting cast to back her. The guys are pretty bland. I can't help but feel that Officer Leo can't believe that he got this role and comes off as awkward onscreen. He showed a lot of charisma on Veronica Mars, maybe once he starts to feel more comfortable his comic timing will set in. The long-running gags also fail (douchebag jar and the singing...especially the singing) but the show shines brightly when Zooey seemingly adlibs away. Subsequent episodes reaffirmed what I feared. Zooey is cute, but she can't quite carry a show by herself. It was just more of the same from the pilot, and the singing already got annoying in that first episode. This is passable entertainment but nothing special. Expand
  29. Feb 26, 2012
    This is one of my favourite new TV series. If you like 30 Rock then you'll love New Girl. The show is witty and fast paced, filled with many short punchy silly jokes.
  30. Jan 25, 2013
    Hideous. And enormously awkward. The star Zoey Deschanel plays a character as goofy and undeniably annoying that sitting through an episode is paramount to torture.

1. Reviewed by: Phillip Maciak
    Oct 31, 2011
    Despite growing out of a plot conceit that involves Craigslist, New Girl--from its characters to the Felix the Cat-like predicaments in which they land--doesn't seem rooted in reality of any kind.
  2. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 28, 2011
    This fall sitcom is a hit entirely because of Deschanel's performance as Jess. [7 Nov 2011, p.41]
  3. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson