New Girl : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 20, 2011
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
7.8

1. Oct 10, 2013
    New Girl, in its first season, is a somewhat fun sitcom. It definitely improves after the first couple of episodes. At the beginning it is slow but the characters develop and you can relate to them!
  2. Jun 4, 2013
    This is a comedy that's actually funny, something that's kinda hard to accomplish. I'm sure if you watch this show, you'll agree with me. I disagree with the negative reviews!
  3. Mar 20, 2013
    Funny, charming, and cute. All Zooey Deschanel characteristics, and this show is carried by her for the most part. It has its misfires, and it's not really rooted in reality, but the characters grow on you. An enjoyable sitcom. 6.9/10
  4. Dec 30, 2011
    Who doesn't love Zooey Deschanel? This show took a little time to find its footing, but once it did, it turned into a charming comedy with a few laughs here and there. Hopefully people will watch it.
  5. Sep 23, 2011
    Amazing Zoey , good story , funny and .......Amazing Zoey Amazing Zoey Amazing Zoey ! New girl will be one of the top show in this season . It could go long because it has really funny characters .
  6. Oct 6, 2013
    What hooked me about this show is its awkwardness, quirkiness and amazingly funny characters. Zooey Deschanel is an amazing actress. Jess, Schmidt, Nick, and Winston are an overall great group of characters. New Girl season 1 is great and season 2 is even better. I just wish they would have left Wayans Jr. as Coach on the show.
  7. Sep 30, 2011
    Not as good as Raising Hope (which it airs immediately before) or Parks and Recreation (the best show on TV) but it is miles than Glee (which it airs immediately after) and is probably the best new show of the season. Zooey Deschanel is adorable.
  8. Sep 22, 2011
    As a single het guy who lived with two single het women, platonically, as roommates for three years, I have to say the female character on this show probably has a better deal than I had. It's a great learning experience, and if the show can resist making two of the primary characters hook up, then there are a good many situational opportunities for comedy. I repeat, the secret to thisAs a single het guy who lived with two single het women, platonically, as roommates for three years, I have to say the female character on this show probably has a better deal than I had. It's a great learning experience, and if the show can resist making two of the primary characters hook up, then there are a good many situational opportunities for comedy. I repeat, the secret to this show staying fresh is to not have her fall in love with any of her roommates. As soon as the writers break that rule, the show will get predictable. Also, don't dumb down the male characters, smart men are funny.
    A tentative 6/10 because I'm hoping the arc is on an upward trajectory.
  9. Sep 27, 2011
    Probably the best new comedy pilot of the season, I like the concept, the leads do a good job and the jokes actually had me laughing! I am definitely rooting for this sitcom!
  10. Oct 15, 2013
    After a slow start with the first episode, this show quickly became one of my favorites. I watched the first two seasons quite quickly on Netflix, and it's great to see the characters actually grow and change. It's quirky and fun, and quite funny.
  11. Sep 10, 2015
    One of the best comedy series!!! Talented actors, great, funny and interesting plot!!!The best for having a quick eye on television(about 20 minutes per episode)
  12. May 22, 2012
    The show is good but not great. There are scenes that are great, there are scenes that are too cheesy, there are scenes that are very connective and there are scenes that are too lousy. Zooey Deschanel really did act great in the show, but sometimes she's too goofy. Not the best sitcom, but it's good.
  13. Sep 11, 2013
    This show has caught me off guard--completely. The pilot episode was not a WOW factor but when Damon Wayans left and his replacement stepped in things felt more natural and in sync. The whole gang is just hilarious. The acting, the writing and the comedic timing is pitch perfect. Its warm, funny, and Jess is so deliciously adorable---she can wear on you but she her quirkiness and uniqueThis show has caught me off guard--completely. The pilot episode was not a WOW factor but when Damon Wayans left and his replacement stepped in things felt more natural and in sync. The whole gang is just hilarious. The acting, the writing and the comedic timing is pitch perfect. Its warm, funny, and Jess is so deliciously adorable---she can wear on you but she her quirkiness and unique individuality is refreshing and charming. I am not easy going when it comes to comedy but this show has stole my attention completely. This show IS the best, for me that is for so many reasons but mostly because it speaks to me. The language of Jess and her very entertaining yet endearing roommates is familiar to me. Kudos to the writers of this show!!!! Expand
  14. Dec 15, 2011
    This show is getting better every week since its debut. And when it is good, it is amazing, hilarious, well-acted and well written. The actor that plays Schmidt, Max Greenfield, is proving to be a break-out star. His scenes alone are worth watching the show for. The problem with the show is the cheesy tie-up scene that they always have at the end! Are these cheesy, "adorkable" scenesThis show is getting better every week since its debut. And when it is good, it is amazing, hilarious, well-acted and well written. The actor that plays Schmidt, Max Greenfield, is proving to be a break-out star. His scenes alone are worth watching the show for. The problem with the show is the cheesy tie-up scene that they always have at the end! Are these cheesy, "adorkable" scenes really necessary? The writers must think so, because week in and week out I am cringing at the ending of this show! Please, New Girl writers, get rid of these cheesy tie up scenes! Then the show would be perfect. Expand
  15. Jul 11, 2013
    Jess becomes annoying as all hell at times with her hipster ways, but this is overall a solid new show. I liked the writing and various characters in the loft. Excited for season 2.
  16. Sep 17, 2012
    A lot of the reviews of this show seem to hinge on where you stand in relation to Zooey Deschanel's unique brand of hipster adorability. Fans of Zooey either love the show because she's so cute in it, or hate the show because her interminable cuteness can't save it from banality. Those who can't stand Zooey Deschanel hate the show because they can't stand Zooey Deschanel. Before watchingA lot of the reviews of this show seem to hinge on where you stand in relation to Zooey Deschanel's unique brand of hipster adorability. Fans of Zooey either love the show because she's so cute in it, or hate the show because her interminable cuteness can't save it from banality. Those who can't stand Zooey Deschanel hate the show because they can't stand Zooey Deschanel. Before watching "New Girl" I was completely ambivalent to Zooey Deschanel, and I still am - this show is successful because of the chemistry between its ensemble cast including Jake Johnson, Max Greenfield and Lamorne Morris as new girl Jess's room-mates. These three provide the comedy, and Jess's adorkability is satirised rather than celebrated. Jake Johnson is hilarious and immensely likeable as Nick, the guy you laugh AT, not WITH; Lamorne Morris's Winston is witty, flawed and endearing, and Schmidt (Max Greenfield) is wickedly funny, a compelling blend of madness and mania: think Tom Cruise when he's jumping on couches or talking about Scientology. Jess is exactly what you expect her to be; an eccentric, creative, doe-eyed, hair-twirling ingénue whom the boys instinctively protect and nurture. Jess sort of mothers them in return, and there are some genuinely heart-warming moments among the four, five if you include the beautiful Hannah Simone as Jess's best friend Cecilia. I actually can't stand Zooey's haircut, and I wish she wouldn't wear so many tiny skirts and high-waisted shorts. I find some of her interactions too eccentric to be credible - at times she seems to go out of her way to be quirky and unconventional - but I did find myself liking Jess, largely because of the way she seemed to electrically charge the group dynamic. Regardless of how you feel about Zooey Deschanel, the best thing about this show is that it's funny. I haven't laughed out loud so much since Arrested Development, and I don't often laugh out loud watching sitcoms. But this is no standard sitcom rehash. It's witty, modern, sharply edited and well paced. It's quality comedy. At the very least, you can't not laugh at Schmidt. Expand
  17. Jul 11, 2012
    i cant wait until the 2nd season because it is so funny i love how she just breaks out into song at any given moment and when i saw her on bones i thought she was so funny and now both very talented sisters have there own show on the same channel makes it even better
  18. Nov 5, 2011
    New Girl is one of the brightest spots on TV. Zooey Deschanel is utterly charming and completely irresistible! I've truly loved the episodes so far because of the writing, directing, editing, and wonderful supporting cast. Keep up the good work!
  19. Sep 25, 2011
    I'm not a hardcore Zooey fan but I love this show so far. Yes, she is super dorky in this show but after a bit into the pilot it actually started to work. I was actually laughing out loud. The other characters add a nice balance and I'm looking forward to seeing more. I think those who weren't too keen on the pilot should give this show a couple more episodes before they quit it.
  20. Sep 8, 2012
    Deschanel's new show is a hit! The interaction among the cast is what makes this comedy so attractive since it premiered. Love the show, love the cheesy moments, love the guys and, of course, love Zoey's Jess Day, an awkward teacher and her irreverent personality which, I think, creates the show's adorable and hilarious atmosphere.
  21. Jun 18, 2013
    PURE MAGIC Zooey Deschannel is perfect for this show. The humour is simple but yet so funny and memorable one of those shows that needs more recognition...I just love the way it is written and it follows a good story TOP KNOTCH
  22. Sep 24, 2011
    you've got to be kidding me. This show is hilarious and strongly character-driven by Zooey. I can't get enough of her quirkiness. After one episode I can tell something special is happening here....I can see Zooey ranked up there with strong female leads such as Lucille Ball and Carol Burnett, and their hasn't been any strong female leads since. Zooey is unstoppable and the 1st episodeyou've got to be kidding me. This show is hilarious and strongly character-driven by Zooey. I can't get enough of her quirkiness. After one episode I can tell something special is happening here....I can see Zooey ranked up there with strong female leads such as Lucille Ball and Carol Burnett, and their hasn't been any strong female leads since. Zooey is unstoppable and the 1st episode shows a huge range of comedy that i'm dying to see where she can take this. Expand
  23. Feb 26, 2012
    This is one of my favourite new TV series. If you like 30 Rock then you'll love New Girl. The show is witty and fast paced, filled with many short punchy silly jokes.
  24. Sep 24, 2011
    I found it really funny!! Dechanel IS INCREDIBLY FUNNY!! This goofie and innocent kind of comedy is the one that is ruling this days... No need to be dirty o unbelievably potty-mouthed!! And this has really good potential..!! I think this will go far...! I'm sure of it!
  25. Dec 16, 2011
    Look forward to this show every week. Jess (Zooey Deschanel) is hilarious in her Quarky but cute way that makes her loveable and relateable to everyone. She is surrounded by an awesopme cast. Nick (Jake M. Johnson) is the more negative than the other characters but finds himself liking Jess and possibly more than the others.... The show is hinting the attraction between the two but nothingLook forward to this show every week. Jess (Zooey Deschanel) is hilarious in her Quarky but cute way that makes her loveable and relateable to everyone. She is surrounded by an awesopme cast. Nick (Jake M. Johnson) is the more negative than the other characters but finds himself liking Jess and possibly more than the others.... The show is hinting the attraction between the two but nothing yet.. Schmidt (Max Greenfield) is an overly **** and a hopeless romantic. He talks a big game but masses things up and thats when you see his true self, which you will love. His romantic intrest is Jess's best friend Cece (Hannah Simone). She is a model and is there for Jess and to pretect her. She cares for Jess but is still a little self involved and is hinting to schmidt that she likes him but just enough to keep his ego high but she keeps him in check. The show is hilarious and is a success in every way!!! New Girl makes the Geek in all of us Proud!! Expand
  26. Mar 2, 2012
    I don't know if 7 is too low but I know I could never rate it lower. I would've given it a 7.5 but you can't really do that. This show is good, not great, despite my rating. I cannot imagine not watching the show, but at the same time it is not the most original show I've ever watched. Schmidt and Jess are the funniest characters in the show and motivate me to tune in every week. This showI don't know if 7 is too low but I know I could never rate it lower. I would've given it a 7.5 but you can't really do that. This show is good, not great, despite my rating. I cannot imagine not watching the show, but at the same time it is not the most original show I've ever watched. Schmidt and Jess are the funniest characters in the show and motivate me to tune in every week. This show is not original, but its light-hearted, will make the viewer chuckle, and its cute and quirky. No real complaints other than hope for it to develop a lot more in terms of story, characters, originality and maybe even humour. It has potential to be a great show, and I look forward to more episodes. Expand
  27. Feb 9, 2012
    New girl is a show i look forward to watch every week. The characters, specially "Schmitt" are funny and interesting. I am also happy its not a typically (and boring) romance sitcom. This show makes me laugh a lot. I love Zooey and when her happy world collides with the real world view of the others. Its hilarious.
  28. jrb
    Feb 28, 2012
    Excellent writing, quirky, extremely likable characters all add up to a hit led by the talented Zooey. Would any of them survive without the others? I think not. I can see this show being watched in syndication 10-15 years from now and still getting a following. The casts' nerdiness, fragility, and vulnerability and their refusal to admit to it is what makes their story so successful. IExcellent writing, quirky, extremely likable characters all add up to a hit led by the talented Zooey. Would any of them survive without the others? I think not. I can see this show being watched in syndication 10-15 years from now and still getting a following. The casts' nerdiness, fragility, and vulnerability and their refusal to admit to it is what makes their story so successful. I look forward to each episode and identify a bit with each. JRB Expand
  29. Apr 21, 2012
    The pilot episode was really funny and it made me want to watch it more. But I got bored watching most of the episodes. Nonetheless, some of the episodes gave me learning and made me realized something.
  30. Apr 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. me la veo una y otra vez y no paro de reir me gusta muchisimo son muy divertidos todos los personajes, ademas estan muy actualizados. son muy cheveres Expand

1. Reviewed by: Phillip Maciak
    Oct 31, 2011
    Despite growing out of a plot conceit that involves Craigslist, New Girl--from its characters to the Felix the Cat-like predicaments in which they land--doesn't seem rooted in reality of any kind.
  2. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 28, 2011
    This fall sitcom is a hit entirely because of Deschanel's performance as Jess. [7 Nov 2011, p.41]
  3. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson