• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 20, 2011
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
7.7

1. Sep 21, 2011
    A few smiles. A few groans. Have the feeling the title character may bug the hell out of me before too long though. But my biggest problem with the pilot was the totally forced "happy" ending. The guys ditching the party to support "the new girl" who'd just been stood up and the lengths they went to cheer her up were completely unearned, story-wise. Up to that point, they mostly justA few smiles. A few groans. Have the feeling the title character may bug the hell out of me before too long though. But my biggest problem with the pilot was the totally forced "happy" ending. The guys ditching the party to support "the new girl" who'd just been stood up and the lengths they went to cheer her up were completely unearned, story-wise. Up to that point, they mostly just seemed annoyed with her. To sum up, it's another average sitcom pilot that could go either way. Expand
  2. Oct 4, 2011
    People watch this show because they love Zooey. Yet I haven't figured out something or someone shining other than Zooey. It's always the same passionate girl, with just different backgrounds.
  3. Feb 3, 2012
    Now this is the kind of comedy that was destined to win my heart from the very first watch and it did. The only reason i was excited about watching this show was Zooey Deschannel and didn't quite cared for anything else but i found out how sweet and well written show it turned out. Very funny with sweet, cute moments and Zooey performs amazing, Jess is such a great character. A lovelyNow this is the kind of comedy that was destined to win my heart from the very first watch and it did. The only reason i was excited about watching this show was Zooey Deschannel and didn't quite cared for anything else but i found out how sweet and well written show it turned out. Very funny with sweet, cute moments and Zooey performs amazing, Jess is such a great character. A lovely quirky, goofy and innocent comedy is one the best new TV comedy of 2011 and i am lovin' it. Expand
  4. Jan 18, 2013
    Have just split from her long term boyfriend Jess (Zooey Deschanel) answers an internet ad from three guys looking for a new roommate. The opening couple of episodes are passable, doing a good job of introducing the different characters as well as being fairly humorous in places. From then on much of your enjoyment of the show will largely depend on how you feel about Deschanel
  5. Dec 15, 2011
    When its not funny its charming but the humor has really waned since the second episode. While the show has promise, its so far lacking direction, and the quirks of the characters have already lost their impact. The show hasn't found its groove yet, and the episodes feel like the writers have writers block, which shouldn't be happening in the first season...
  6. Oct 7, 2011
    I was enjoying the pilot until the end when one of the characters behaved so inhumanly that it almost soured the taste of the whole episode for me. Zooey is great here and the main attraction of the show. Unfortunately, she doesn't have a supporting cast to back her. The guys are pretty bland. I can't help but feel that Officer Leo can't believe that he got this role and comes off asI was enjoying the pilot until the end when one of the characters behaved so inhumanly that it almost soured the taste of the whole episode for me. Zooey is great here and the main attraction of the show. Unfortunately, she doesn't have a supporting cast to back her. The guys are pretty bland. I can't help but feel that Officer Leo can't believe that he got this role and comes off as awkward onscreen. He showed a lot of charisma on Veronica Mars, maybe once he starts to feel more comfortable his comic timing will set in. The long-running gags also fail (douchebag jar and the singing...especially the singing) but the show shines brightly when Zooey seemingly adlibs away. Subsequent episodes reaffirmed what I feared. Zooey is cute, but she can't quite carry a show by herself. It was just more of the same from the pilot, and the singing already got annoying in that first episode. This is passable entertainment but nothing special. Expand
  7. Mar 25, 2012
    It starts very badly but it does get better. In the 1st few episodes Jess is just stupid, the guys she lives with are boring and just nothing funny happens, but once it gets going it all the characters get better and it gets a lot funnier. EDIT: Actually, after a few good episodes, then it goes back to sucking again.
    Overall, don't bother, 30 Rock and Happy endings are better.
  8. Jan 25, 2013
    Hideous. And enormously awkward. The star Zoey Deschanel plays a character as goofy and undeniably annoying that sitting through an episode is paramount to torture.
  9. Jan 14, 2015
    I gave this show a 5 because I always find a laugh during every episode. This series relies heavily on current social trends and still ends up being out-of-date. The jokes end up over-the-top but still boring, the characters are stereotypes/predictable and the story line is completely negligible.Enjoy after you have watched every "Friends" episodes to exhaustion.

1. Reviewed by: Phillip Maciak
    Oct 31, 2011
    Despite growing out of a plot conceit that involves Craigslist, New Girl--from its characters to the Felix the Cat-like predicaments in which they land--doesn't seem rooted in reality of any kind.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 28, 2011
    This fall sitcom is a hit entirely because of Deschanel's performance as Jess. [7 Nov 2011, p.41]
  3. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson