• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 10, 2013
  • Season #: 1
6.9

1. Oct 11, 2013
    I like Once upon a time, and I'm a 28 YO White male. I think OUAT has some interesting remakes of popular characters and I like seeing where they go, even if the episodes sometimes drag.

This... felt weird. Right from the start. Perhaps that is fitting for a tale about Wonderland and Alice, but, I think it might have lost me, and I give pilot episodes a LOT of leeway and drift.

Here's what's up acting, actually relatively decent. They have a great actor from Britain (previously on Being Human) as the Knave of Hearts, and honestly I only found his part's to be entertaining.

The entire romantic storyline was so shoddely put together that it felt terrible. It was forced, and it was so briefly introduced. They really could have skipped it entirely except for references to "a genie, or him" and come up with better motives for Alice going into Wonderland. And... what time period are we in? Alice's father seems like he dresses for the early 1900's or 1800's but then the Knave is in modern day storybrooke? Uh... what?

The story's internal consistency there leaves a LOT to be desired. The main female actor is frankly terrible. her dialogue is even worse. When are these writers going to start giving these actor's lines that any decently intelligent human can't see coming miles away?

Action scenes? hah, well other than being classically awful in the few we had, the cgi also looked really cheap. They screwed themselves by creating a story that relies so much on the territory of Wonderland... which really should look more unique. I understand everything is darker now... but not only did the contrast feel off so did the colors of the plants.

The only part I liked, the introduction of the cat...

Ways to turn this show around? Perhaps make the main actor a little more observant, or the Knave? That's his world, and he doesn't see ANYTHING wrong right off the bat? Or if he knows (like he may seem to) whats going on, wouldn't he say SOMETHING to Alice?

This show needs something beyond faith and hope. OUAT is fascinating, and a fun adventure. This feels like a pale shadow, for spin offs done right, look to the Originals and Vampire Diaries. Both shows are QUITE different, despite coming from the same place.

This feels just like OUAT except with worse acting, visuals, and plot. Recommend staying away unless the writers drastically turn this around. But I doubt they will.
  2. Oct 16, 2013
    This show is pretty interesting. From what I saw, it seems like it could end up being a very great show. I can't wait to see more of it. Love the fact they put another disney character from a whole different show in it!
  3. Nov 26, 2013
    Once Upon a Time in Wonderland is a breath of fresh air when comparing it to other network television. Finally, a show with an interesting, unique premise with a good storyline. I am so sick and tired of generic comedies, singing shows, and the unfathomable amount of crime series. Wonderland is unique and brings to life a world we learned about during our childhood. I hope that ABC will keep this show running and not crawl back to the generic boring crap most networks put on. Expand
  4. Oct 22, 2013
    So, so pitiful. A terrible waste of talent. There was potential here, but they didn't come through with a script worth filming. The CGI is so cheap it belongs in the 1990s. I've seen better effects on laundry detergent ads.

I'll continue watching the original show but not this weak spin-off.
  5. Oct 21, 2013
    This is fun and bubbly! I like it!

The Knave of Hearts is likely to be a fan-favorite, following the steps of his sister, who become famous on the British hit "Misfits". The Socha siblings are fun to watch! I also like Jafar, he is malevolent and cool. I enjoyed the music and the storyline was somewhat engaging.

But there are so many things wrong with this show. As its very
    existence! Was it really necessary? I don't think so. I can hear the producers counting the money! I just don't see it purpose. A stereotypical leading roles, even more stereotypical villains...

But I like the soundtrack, and I recommend sticking around it for some time.
  6. Oct 14, 2013
    Thers is too muche romance and kindness that in OUAT original and the effects aren't so good. But I love how they use fairy tale character!
    The Rabbit and the Knave have great potential!
  7. Oct 25, 2013
    Creative, imaginative, fun. Keeps me wanting to find out more. Not such a fan of the cgi, but the characters are likeable and acting is better than Once upon a time.
  8. Mar 18, 2014
    I love this show! As to be expected, this first season is slow but this is the case with most every story. Time to established a plot and show character growth and development shouldn't happen over night. If it did, then there would be no story. That being said, i hope they keep it on for a second season so we can see where the story really goes. I think it has a lot of potential, just maybe some better decisions when it comes to the writing. Expand
  9. Oct 20, 2013
    The show is pretty unnecessary, the storyline could be weaved into a back-story of the regular Once Upon a Time series. The plot is OK, but it still isn't too interesting. Same stuff we've seen before.

It was cool seeing characters from the originals series and I hope they have more connections considering that this is a spin-off with completely brand new characters.
  10. Oct 26, 2013
    I rated the pilot a couple of weeks back and now the third episode aired a few nights ago and i just want to point out that it was awful. this show is going nowhere! Stick to the original Once upon a time not it's cheap spin-off
  11. Nov 2, 2013
    While it's certainly imaginative and has plenty of decent visual splendor to spare, its a bit stiff on its storytelling and doesn't bring any real new interest to the story it's based on.
  12. Nov 25, 2013
    I'm yet to decide where I stand on this series. Sophie Lowe is exceptional as Alice, and the other cast members bring solid support. But I can't help but wonder; was it necessary to make this show? I'm sure we could have gotten the same amount of fun from a few episodes of once upon a time. Do we really need 22 episodes? Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it. It's fun escapism. An hour of bubbly company. A guilty-pleasure if nothing else. But again, was it necessary? Expand
  13. Oct 11, 2013
    I really liked this new show! I think the re-telling of Alice is a great idea! I'm a fan of OUAT and am excited to see this spin off grow! Just like with OUAT, I really love the costumes! Jafar looked super cool! And the Red Queen's dress and crown were awesome! I think Alice is a good actress and very believable! I'd like to see more of her love with Cyrus! It would have be fun to start this show at their first meeting even if it already happened on OUAT. Maybe do more flashbacks cuz Love is the best reason to watch stories. Its cool to have Iggy Pop as the Caterpillar and Jon Lithgow as the Rabbit love to see them more on screen! Keep up the great work! Expand
  14. Nov 17, 2013
    I was intrigued to check out the pilot because Once Upon a Time has been consistently good for its first two seasons and season 3 is, in fact, even becoming more solid. However, this spin-off doesn't impress me at all. I guess I'm no longer thrilled by the unconventional takes on classic tales. And the VFX is seriously horrible. I know it's a network TV show, but at least have the decency to work better on the visual effect because it's really irritating. Red light for me. Expand
  15. Dec 4, 2013
    I'm loving this show It makes us disover a new way to interpete the Lewis Caroll's books, and I love the environmment, the plot is simple, but fits. I hope it will continue. I just want writers to now find another story line not involving love.
  16. Dec 18, 2013
    It's a good show. There is however, some give and take between the quality of the scripting and the plot-line. The tandem story-lines and how they connect at the end of each episode is good, but sometimes it seems to just lack a certain complexity.
  17. Mar 29, 2014
    It would be better left alone once in a fairy tale, and it distorts the whole episode with its own story while trying to tie them that they peresikalis ... This is not work because in the series once a tale of gin, and this other, and somehow miraculously he was not storebruke and in Wonderland. And it's not all alkaline error. The best option is to close the show once in Wonderland.
  18. Apr 7, 2014
    I think this show is absolutely terrific!!!! Please please please don't let them cancel it. Give us at least one more season. I think the cast is great. I think the special effects are spectacular. I am so looking forward to the next season.
  19. Apr 19, 2014
    Awesome show. Each episode is filled with drama, action, and fantasy. Many elements from Once Upon a Time are present. We even get to see Cora during her reign as the Queen of Hearts. The story is entertaining, but takes a few episodes to get significantly interesting. The characters spend a lot of time walking around Wonderland before any of the really good episodes start. It's certainly not better than Once Upon a Time, but is still a show worth watching. Expand
  20. May 15, 2014
    I really like this show, the main thing that disappoints me is the scenery. I used to love the idea of Wonderland with crazy mushrooms and singing flowers and the mushrooms that make you giant and tiny. More of that stuff would be cool. The bland scenery and lack of really cool effects is the main letdown for me

1. Reviewed by: Vicki Hyman
    Feb 13, 2014
    The grand, star-crossed romance between Alice and Cyrus is promising, and turning Alice into a willful Victorian riot grrl is a move that will resonate with many viewers. As in "Once," the computer-generated landscapes and creatures don't quite work--they look do look unworldly, but in a cheesy way.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 24, 2013
    Wonderland grabs elements from the Lewis Carroll classic, throwing them down a rabbit hole and lets them land willy-nilly. [28 Oct 2013, p.42]
    Wonderland has no nuance. It's not elegant or metaphorical at all, and many of the scenes would be at home on an episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.