• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 23, 2011
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
7.7

1. Nov 23, 2014
    Once upon a time, ABC was in talks with an amazing creator named Bill Willingham, whose comic series "Fables" is a long line of brilliance, mature exploration of character and fairy tale tropes blended into a modern setting. It is hands down one of the best series I have ever read, and it's still going (at least into 2015 when the story comes to a close).

At some point, those talks fell

At some point, those talks fell through. Then, half a year later, ABC announces Once Upon a Time, based on the same basic conceit as the Willingham comic from Vertigo (DC). I'm sad it's not Fables, but I'm excited at the idea.

Then, I watch it. I tried. I really did. It's so watered down, trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator, with annoying leads (though I liked Jiminy Cricket and I liked Rumpelstiltskin for what they were worth). It had a less-intriguing premise. It was far too soft and Disney-fied. They basically took this amazing mature story and tried to make it have mass appeal to the family audience. Already not what I wanted, but hey, I like a good family show on occasion, so I stuck it out.

And the writing sucked. The plotting, the dialogue, the generic tropes done with a straight face, bland as could be. The kid is obnoxious. Snow's 'daughter' is obnoxious. Snow is less interesting than a bottle of Ambien (and it's sad, too, I loved the actress in Big Love).

Jiminy and Rumpel are the only reason this review didn't get a '0'.

If you want something that's actually good in this vein, go read Fables. Or watch Grimm.
  2. May 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Are you stupid Regina could have died but rumplestiskin could have stopped that diamond easily but instead you wanted to kill Regina. And how was Henry taken if he was in snow whites arms I score that episode with 5 Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Sep 28, 2012
    This season, with flatly played new characters introduced in the world of fantasy, I found myself itching to get back to Storybrooke, although the way the lands eventually intersect makes for a nifty cliffhanger.