• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 23, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
8.2

1. May 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the best season that Once Upon a Time has.

Sure, it had its flaws but the entertaining value is higher than ever.

Since the season is split into two story arcs. Let’s review the first half of the season, which is about Peter Pan taking place in Neverland.

Yes. It was boring. First of, the setting of Neverland is just plain dark and boring. And the storylines weren’t strong enough to hold it. It had its plot holes and unsolved questions. Here are some of the few questions, all about the Darlings.

1-How did the Hipster Darlings grow up looking young in the future?
    2-What happened to the Darlings after Peter Pan is killed in a “suicide” mission by Rumpelstiltskin?
    3-Did they leave Storybrooke to London?

We may never know.

But it did feature interesting new (likable) characters such as Ariel. Her hair color. Wow. I can’t stop looking at her. She is beautiful. That’s probably because I love redheads so much.

The last few episodes of the “Neverland” story arc were finally getting to the point of the action. It made me go edge of my seat for the first time since the premiere of the third season.

And oh boy, the last episode of the arc felt like a true season finale. Heck, even a bittersweet series finale if the last two minutes didn’t happen.

After that episode, it’s quite hard to think what happens next. That’s brilliant writing right there ladies and gentleman.

And now, for the second arc of the season which I would like to call "The Wicked Witch of the West Invades Storybrooke”

Again, this arc has many unsolved questions and I would like to list a few.

1-What happened to Mulan after she has eyes on Princess Aurora?
    2-What happened to Princess Aurora and Prince Philip after they became those “flying monkeys”?
    3-And the most important question of all after watching the finale. How the hell did Rumpelstiltskin got off the hook (no pun intended) from killing Zelena if his Rumple side is still showing despite he is the new “Mr.Gold”? They better address this next season.

However, while it does add new more questions. It’s more entertaining than the last arc.

I am so happy they’re doing this arc in Storybrooke. It’s more interesting to have fairy tale epic-esque battles in a small modern town where the FCC didn’t even know that town existed with TV stations.

And also, the story was pretty straight forward and it didn’t drag on.

Character development was very strong in this arc. From Regina’s redemption to happiness (now ruined) to Emma Swan’s “This is Where I Belong Now That I Am in Henry’s Storybook!" moment.

I loved how they did with the time traveling plot device. But then again, it’s better to travel time by TARDIS because magic isn’t real and science is real and it doesn’t involve killing of babies.

Overall, despite its flaws that cannot be ignored, this season of Once Upon a Time was their best. I hope the seasons get better and better without any questions unsolved.

And dividing the season into two story arcs from on is a very good plot device to avoid dragging the season. I hope they do this until they reach their final season. And with Elsa being the next antagonist, it’s appropriate for the fall/winter season.
  2. Oct 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First episode was really slow and some how predictable.
    There were some graphic mistakes at 26:26 the mermaid was gone from the deck for no reason!
    I would like to see more action on the next episodes.
  3. Apr 19, 2014
    The season is split into two parts. The first part takes awhile to get good. The first 8 or so episodes feature the cast walking around a jungle and arguing. Most of the interesting stuff happens in the flashbacks. However, the second part is awesome right from the start. It's filled with suspense that leaves you wanting more. Overall a great season.
  4. Oct 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really really love Once Upon A Time and I am liking the characters' new adventure so far in Neverland. I just can't stand that idea that Pan talks to Emma anytime he wants with Emma looking like too overly detached that Pan has Henry held in captive. This part doesn't please me. it draws away the emotions bonded with the series. But apart from this, everything is still Once Upon A Time standard. Expand
  5. Apr 24, 2014
    I really love this series. The character developments are done to perfection. I cannot stand the wicked witch which means great casting. Cannot wait to see the season finale. Wish they would have continued Once upon a time in wonderland. I liked that show too. Love the Disney Characters.
  6. Jun 25, 2014
    For a story for season 4 I think that emma should get cursed as a swan like her last name says but I don't think regina should get the blame so the only question that will remain is who wants to punish emma or her parents by doing this to emma
  7. Nov 23, 2014
    Once upon a time, ABC was in talks with an amazing creator named Bill Willingham, whose comic series "Fables" is a long line of brilliance, mature exploration of character and fairy tale tropes blended into a modern setting. It is hands down one of the best series I have ever read, and it's still going (at least into 2015 when the story comes to a close).

At some point, those talks fell

At some point, those talks fell through. Then, half a year later, ABC announces Once Upon a Time, based on the same basic conceit as the Willingham comic from Vertigo (DC). I'm sad it's not Fables, but I'm excited at the idea.

Then, I watch it. I tried. I really did. It's so watered down, trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator, with annoying leads (though I liked Jiminy Cricket and I liked Rumpelstiltskin for what they were worth). It had a less-intriguing premise. It was far too soft and Disney-fied. They basically took this amazing mature story and tried to make it have mass appeal to the family audience. Already not what I wanted, but hey, I like a good family show on occasion, so I stuck it out.

And the writing sucked. The plotting, the dialogue, the generic tropes done with a straight face, bland as could be. The kid is obnoxious. Snow's 'daughter' is obnoxious. Snow is less interesting than a bottle of Ambien (and it's sad, too, I loved the actress in Big Love).

Jiminy and Rumpel are the only reason this review didn't get a '0'.

If you want something that's actually good in this vein, go read Fables. Or watch Grimm.
  8. Dec 12, 2014
    It's a decent show, with all the favorite characters wrapped into one CF'd story line. It tickles my inner child.

However, at times it's extremely predictable and cliche. Others, there are some serious major inconsistencies with story line, "rules" established in the world, with forced exceptions when convenient to keep the plot moving. Emma's character personality has almost completely devolved into whiny, insecure mother, but then suddenly has her life together during the second half of the season, though nothing has really changed. They hadn't quite reconciled all of the issues in the first half. Snow is, as usual, drippingly sweet with very, very little character development. She just kind of exists, occasionally has some short-lived, shallow crisis blown out of proportion, but suffers no real complex experiences or emotions.

In general, the idea of the show is great. The general story line is entertaining, and hits all the nostalgic points. The dialogue, however, is a little lackluster, a little hackneyed, and often forced. Interactions between Emma and Hook are almost laughably bad, and hard to find believable. But the show is redeemed by some interesting plot twists, star performances, as well character development in other characters and relationships, like Rumpelstiltskin, Regina, and even Henry.

Overall, it's an okay series; it passes the time. But there are just so many glaring flaws, so many convenient plot twists that ignore pre-established conventions and timelines to call it an amazing series.

There are no critic reviews yet.