Oprah's Big Give : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Mar 2, 2008
2.9

1. ChrisC.
    Mar 8, 2008
    Of course the show is dumb. But honestly I'm a lot less offended by this than that lie detector show. Or whatever new Big Brother gimmick I always spend the season wincing at when I see the commercials come on. Oprah has her audience and is feeding them the crap the like. Is it a bit weird to judge charitable giving? Sure. They probably should have just made it a charity show without Of course the show is dumb. But honestly I'm a lot less offended by this than that lie detector show. Or whatever new Big Brother gimmick I always spend the season wincing at when I see the commercials come on. Oprah has her audience and is feeding them the crap the like. Is it a bit weird to judge charitable giving? Sure. They probably should have just made it a charity show without being a contest. But it's really not that bad. Expand

Winfrey and ABC have taken the much-maligned reality TV format and used it to create a show that both entertains and encourages viewers to think about such matters as how best to help others.
    Is it strange to make good will and charity into a win-lose proposition? Is it peculiar to judge the givers on their manner of giving, to quantify their largesse? To me, yes, it is, and the show makes for awkward viewing as a result.
  3. There also is something disturbing about making a game out of charitable acts.