• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Jul 11, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
8.5

1. Jul 11, 2013
    I have to admit, I didn't know quite what to expect from Netflix as a show producer, but if "Orange is the New Black" is representative of the caliber of the shows they're investing in, I'm really impressed! Both the writing and the casting are excellent, and the show manages to be really funny while also telling meaningful stories about a refreshingly diverse range of engaging and three-dimensional characters My friend and I decided to check out just the first episode, but ended up watching five in a row because we were so caught up in the different storylines. It's already one of my favorite new shows, and I'm thrilled that Netflix has already ordered a second season it's nice to know that they recognize a good thing when they see it!

Side note: I would respectfully disagree with the reviewer who said the show made prison look not as bad as it really is, because the prison in the show is a medium security prison that does not house the most violent inmates. As such, it is actually a more realistic portrayal of life a typical women's prison than what we usually see on TV, though some of the characters may be unusually quirky!
  2. Jul 17, 2013
    Although this show is relatively entertaining, with the exception of the segments pertaining to her life outside of prison, the show lacks any hint of authenticity. All of these women have been convicted of crimes that warrant prison time and yet they are all portrayed as having a heart of gold. Anyone that has seen lockup would know that even in a women's jail life is much more intense than what has been portrayed in this program. Totally not buying Laura Prepon as any form of heroin dealer (she would be dead in seconds flat) because heroin is a much more serious game than just selling weed. I also find it incredibly hard to believe that a person would even be indicted let alone sentenced for a ten year old crime based on nothing more than the testimony of a criminal trying to get their sentence reduced. All that being said I think the show is still relatively entertaining which came as a complete surprise considering its from the same creator of that awful excuse for a television program they call Weeds, what a pile of crap that is. They could also do without that annoying Regina Spektor noise. Expand
  3. Jul 11, 2013
    Sharp, engrossing & funny, this “Oz" like Netflix original dramedy about life in a women’s prison is filled with characters & storylines worthy of a 12-hour binge. -MN
  4. Jul 16, 2013
    Funny, tense, fresh, fast-paced and mesmerizing the episodes can surprise you over and over, even when they are lacking. The season finale opens a sea of possibilities for improvement.
  5. Jul 11, 2013
    Great! its a heartwarming, funny, and well mad show! The one thing I don't like is how they make prison look not as bad than it looks. Other than that, its a great show!
  6. Jul 16, 2013
    Intelligent, provocative and at times downright hilarious. The cast is stellar and at the top of their game. The writing is nearly flawless and more importantly, I find, incredibly original. But what makes this fast-paced comedy-drama a cut above the rest its huge heart.
  7. Jul 15, 2013
    Damn!! To begin with I was not sure this was for me, even before it was released I didn't get the trailer (I don't know why.) But I gave it a shot. One after another I watched every episode, i was completely addicted it took me by surprise how dark it actually got, that by the end I was wanting more.
    Cannot wait for season 2. Loved it. Go watch!!
  8. Jun 11, 2014
    I've watched 11 episodes of season 1 and to be perfectly honest, this is THE most uninteresting,bland,sleep-inducing show about life in prison! Firstly, the main character does NOT in any way possible,shows or remotely shows she has the ability to sell drugs ESPECIALLY herion! Secondly, the prison she's in DOES NOT EVEN REMOTELY RESEMBLE A FREAKING PRISON! How,is probably your question seeing as their in what can barley be called a prison,well its too clean,there's virtually no violence and pretty much every character comes off as an inmate with a heart of gold! Ive seen only ONE inmate hit someone and that was only one slap! A screw driver was taken from the workshop but its only used for masturbation,threats gets made left and right but 20minutes later,there back to being friends,crazy eyes gave me hope that she would actually show some craziness by doing something that would warrent people calling her crazy eyes but the craziest thing she's done so far is urinate on the floor but then,everythings all good after that....i hate empty drama and this crap show is full of drama that goes NOWHERE! They get your blood pumping thinking something will happen and boom!, nothing, and everyone is friends again! It took ten episodes before someone died andthat was bbasically suicde,no one murdered her, she just O.D! One inmate even walks around this college like prison with a freaking huge dog and...you guessed it,NOTHING! No one gets attacked by the dog! The main character insults the chiefs food and the worst thing that happens is a bloody tampon between bread and getting starved for 3 days. Prison life her is like heaven for these inmates when you look at hiw NOTHING happens here! Its a funny show but other then that, it has NOTHING to offer people besides pointless, go nowhere threats that ends with everyone being friends, NO violence,pathetic back stories that DESPERATEL tries to show these ccriminals as innocent angels who made a mistake,like that woman who worked as a cleaner but she kills a guy for beating a young girl..or the track star who had a promising future but let a guy talk her into stealing....its like watching grown people act like kids since the majority of every episode has the inmates crying and feeling sorry for each other...THIS SHOW FREAKING SUCKS! 3/10 just for the comedy since thats all its has going for it. Expand
  9. Jul 14, 2013
    This show proves it can be serious and hilarious all at one time. An unpredictable journey through a women's prison that will give you characters that you love to hate or characters you hate to love.
  10. Jul 19, 2013
    Good show. It feels a little small, but maybe that will change with future seasons. Great cast. Interesting stories. Really different. Love the character back stories.
  11. Jul 26, 2013
    I am truly puzzled by the critics of this excellent show. I am a forensic psychologist who has been in plenty of prisons, including some women's prisons, and this show is the real deal. Sure, it probably condenses and dramaticizes events that more realistically occur over a period of years, but they DO occur, and the inmates are pretty realistic (for a women's prison...in my experience, the intelligence level is lower in men's prisons). The writing and acting are superb. Some professional critics are calling this the "new Mad Men" and I concur. I look forward to Season 2; it it keeps up with Season 1, the we are in for some phenomenal video-watching. Kudos to Netflix: two great shows (House of Cards being the other) in a year!! Expand
  12. Jul 26, 2013
    Im from México and i only have a question, when start the second season. I totally loved this original series. Good work, i really need the second season now!!!!!! Really very good Job...!!!!:)
  13. Jun 10, 2014
    I really enjoyed the first season but I've gotten really bored with the second season. I'm much less interested in the characters and I'm tired of the narrative structure of the show.
  14. Jul 25, 2013
    One of the best cast of supporting characters I've ever seen. Similar to shows like Thrones and House of Cards, there really isn't an all good or an all bad character which helps make them compelling. Great mix of comedy and drama and hopefully a bright future for many new actresses in this series.
  15. Aug 1, 2013
    I don't write many reviews for this site, but I just wanted to add my two cents: this show is pretty spectacular. I would recommend it to anyone that likes any or all of Weeds, Dexter, Damages, or Breaking Bad due to the show's mix of dark humor and drama. It sheds light on some issues you don't see commonly covered, and the acting among the entire cast is incredible.... which is a very rare thing to find! Expand
  16. Jul 26, 2013
    Original, entretenida y con buen guión, buen reparto y roles interesantes rozando a veces lo grotesco.
    Muy recomendable si estáis cansados de series de policías, médicos, etc.
  17. Nov 5, 2013
    This show is meandering at best. I have watched 4 episodes so far and I do not know where it is going-which is good. But a bit boring. The characters are slowly revealing themselves but WAY too slowly. I do like the flashbacks to tell the back stories of the characters but cannot stand the boredom between events within each episode. Each episode is about an hour but could easy be told just as well in 30 minutes. Expand
  18. Sep 6, 2013
    I couldn't finish this show. It really got boring and repetetive and I was sick of listening to all the female characters complaining about numerous things.
  19. Aug 6, 2013
    I wouldn't say it's one of the best series I ever watched, but I did enjoy watching the first few episodes. It got boring after a while, they had too many flashbacks so they could tell the character's stories, didn't really roll with me.

I can see there's a lot of potential for lovable characters since you really get to know them, guess some people might really like this show.
  20. Jul 16, 2013
    I was curious about this show due to Jenji Kohan's involvement but didn't have high expectations after Netfilx's last offering, Hemlock Grove. I immediately became hooked on this great new series. It somehow manages to be funny, outrageous, audacious, provocative, poignant, insightful, and frightening all in one episode. The back story of each character and the way the characters interact is so engaging and fun to watch. The acting is superb and the show's writing is extremely sharp. I love the Netflix format which allowed me to watch the entire season in four days. However I almost wish they would release individual or perhaps pairs of episodes at intervals to keep binge watchers like myself from using up a good thing too soon. Now I'm left to wait for season two. I hope it's not a long wait!! Expand
  21. Jul 26, 2013
    Orange is the New Black is one of the best things to have been broadcast, ever. If you don't watch this show, you're missing out on sheer brilliance. With the right balance of drama & comedy they broach real issues spanning from racism, to politics, to homophobia without boring or lecturing the viewers, and they have a stellar cast & a stellar crew to bring it to us & keep us on the edge of our seats right till the last second.

TL;DR: WATCH THIS SHOW.
  22. Aug 11, 2013
    Impressive program. It started out a bit light, seeming like a light and fluffy version of prison dramas. But the characterizations were excellent, and the stories were well told. However, the season finale was quite surprising. I'm looking forward to season 2.
  23. Apr 8, 2014
    This show was the reason I joined Netflix. I have never been compelled to start an account with that site but after hearing a lot of rave reviews for this show, I decided to give it a shot. Now, not only am I hooked, I have become a die-hard fan in every aspect possible. The show embraces and showcases originality from start to finish. With a premise that has an all-female cast, most of them unknown, it gives a breath of fresh air to the usual staple we get on network TV these days. On top of that, this unknown cast is beyond talented. It is a remarkable show that I hope does not end up going down the route of lacklustre plots in future seasons and continue bringing to the table fantastic story lines that keep you on the binge-watching bandwagon for long. Also, kudos to them for bringing women in TV shows to the forefront. It may be set in a women's prison but it does not stop short of showing a variety of women from different backgrounds, skin colour and sexuality. Expand
  24. Jul 28, 2013
    I agree that the show has no authenticity (the communication between inmates and prison officials is a complete fantasy it's like they are counselors at a rehab or something), but this isn't The Wire either. It's very funny, has a few great storylines and my vote for cliffhanger ending of the year.
  25. Oct 20, 2013
    I love, love, love this show!
    I'm always very cautious with Netflix Originals but this show deserves to be aired on TV because it's that good!

It mixes drama and comedy very well, there's not one bad actor, each episode has been brilliant and I hope they keep this up in the future, because if they do this show may be around for a long time!
  26. Jul 14, 2013
    Unlike Oz, this show is actually watchable. It is more akin to the early years of Weeds. Heartfealt, story with actual meaning and depth. The first episode feels like a bit of fluff, but the show kicks it in to gear in episode 3 with characters and stories that really do make you feel, regardless if its centered around a junkie, murderer or one time retard.
  27. Jul 14, 2013
    GUTSY, in a realm of next generation of Drama escalation. Taylor Schilling quantifies her emotions in such a unique atmosphere as Federal Prison. That I got the feeling of loss, betrayal and epic powerful emotions, but on the same note soft laughs and humor to fill the gaps between downtime's. Jason Biggs brought me to even tears at his volumes of hardships to Taylor. That far surpass his earlier work in anyway. The cast was magnificent and I could number them off. So I will, Kate Mulgrew really brings the sense of nourishment to others as well as the hate for betrayers. Michelle Hurst, with her dark and mirrored past, but holds her spite on the ones who don't piss her off. What an amazing cast, thank you Netflix!!! Expand
  28. Jun 8, 2014
    Amazing show, It is funny and can also be serious and emotional. The characters are very interesting and make you want to learn more about them, Waaattcchh itttt.
  29. Sep 5, 2013
    I just finished watching season one of Orange is the New Black and I was surprised with how good the show was. The cast of characters are all interesting and well acted. The production is top notch and the directing is flawless. The writing isn't cliched at all. The protagonist is so real and imperfect that the show isn't predictable but there are hints at plot points early on showing how well the show was planned out. Taylor Schilling plays the main character and she does an incredible job. I'm not too familiar with her as an actress but there are times when she looks almost like a blonde Katy Perry. I also really like the way the show's story is told. It takes almost a Lost approach by introducing you to characters through their past, via flashbacks. The show is crude and sometimes obscene so it isn't for everyone but I think most people would quite enjoy it. Expand
  30. Oct 26, 2013
    So one day it occur me, hey i should watch a new series. Dug for info and found this one and i watch the WHOLE Season in a Weekend. Oh my God it is so Good. I love the whole love triangle, the fact that Pipper completely lost her track facing the reality of her situation, does Alex deserve to be forgiven?, Larry and Pipper are meant to be?. I want all my questions answered next season. Now lets talk about the women, those girls are nuts and I love them to death, they are so funny, the show itself its outrageous, Definitely a MOST watch. So exited for next season. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Kristi Turnquist
    Jun 24, 2014
    Quibbles aside, watching this superb cast working together remains a pleasure, and it makes Season 2 of Orange Is the New Black an irresistible summer viewing choice.
  2. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    Jul 18, 2013
    Orange has graphic scenes that aren’t for kids. But they aren’t played for cheap gags, either, and that attitude serves the production well. With Schilling in top form, this Orange tastes fresh.
  3. Reviewed by: Matthew Wolfson
    Jul 16, 2013
    While it's not apparent that the show's personalities add up to anything more than themselves at first, they ultimately prove to be compelling studies of people trying to work through glaring mistakes and obvious limitations to fashion some sort of livable present.