Orphan Black : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
8.2

1. Jun 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's nothing special, but it isn't a bad show. After watching the first season, I feel confidant in the future of this show. I'll admit the writing could be better, and that's really what keeps it from getting a higher score. The acting was great, especially from Maslany. The actors all brought their characters to life, and it did wonders to help some of the weaknesses in the writing. And I'm not saying the writing was awful, it just wasn't as good as I felt it could have been (i.e. all of the clones have identical fingerprints, when that wouldn't be the case, and I'm still not sure exactly why Leekie killed Olivier). It's a show that I would recommend to someone who wants to check out a solid sci-fi series. It's a flawed show for sure, but I like it. Expand
  2. May 5, 2013
    The premise is ok, but the show suffers from BBC political correctness and cheesy unrealistic characters, making the show feel like it was written for children (a bit like Dr Who). Unfortunately the plot is extremely far fetched. The lead is about average but the two lead men are one dimensional and totally unconvincing.

All in all, Orphan Black is a disappointing waste of potential,

All in all, Orphan Black is a disappointing waste of potential, but just watchable enough to pass the time if you've run out of episodes of something good.
  3. chr
    Aug 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Tried to bing this show, because of the lack of alternatives (lying now for a week in bed) and also because it was highly recommended.

First of all why is the show trying to pretend that all of this is happening in the US? When obviously EVERY thing around cries UK and almost every actor is speaking with a British accent?

Second: Why are there so many story gaps and errors? For instance in Ep4 S01 Sarah is forced to stay at the station because... the writer said so and she convinces Alison to go to a extremely important meeting with her daughter Kiera - right? Then five minutes later, she left the station and went to meet with a psycho... and she apparently has time for that? What?

OK I could imagine that the target group (I guess teenager euro-boys) would omit those facts and watch it just for entertainments sake. I would too when Mrs. Maslany could ever pull a believable performance, the writers would write actual good dialogue and not 'lines for actors to speak', which by the way are so obvious.... well then and only then I could imagine to watch it as a guilty pleasure. But like it is now? Oh no..... no chance! I rather watch The Room for the rest of my life.

Ah well I went just a little to far. Sorry.

It's just a mediocre show for someone who never saw The Wire or even Sherlock (the first one plays in the actual US and the second one is not ashamed of being shot in the UK) and is not used to quality. And I do accept that. BUT please do someone, something about this fan boy ratings around the net. I can not believe that THIS is my first review on MetaCritic.
  4. Aug 2, 2015
    Season one was great. Season two was okay. Season three was a mess. Graeme keeps using the term slow burn which means he has no clue what to do with a character or storyline. Shay? Why is she on the show? There is no chemistry between her and Cosima. Yuk! There has been no storyline where she is concerned and the little time she has had on screen was useless. The writers have lostSeason one was great. Season two was okay. Season three was a mess. Graeme keeps using the term slow burn which means he has no clue what to do with a character or storyline. Shay? Why is she on the show? There is no chemistry between her and Cosima. Yuk! There has been no storyline where she is concerned and the little time she has had on screen was useless. The writers have lost focus with this show. We don't see Art anymore and Felix has little or nothing witty to say. No more zingers for him. Ahh, Delphine, Delphine! Why hurt the only one who tried to help the sisters from the beginning? They really messed up with the hot romance between Cosima and Delphine. A lot of people are disappointed that they shot Delphine. If she is gone next season so am I. Evelyne Brochu is talented. You can't give us a powerhouse like her and then take her away from us. I hope the creators are listening to the fans and do the right thing. Expand
  5. Oct 25, 2016
    Interesting but flawed premise betrayed by very poor character development. The show is all about science, specifically biology and chemistry, but as is typical with bad writing, to create some form of drama, every scientist is evil, delusional, or a total f*up. You know... because like most of hollywood drivel, smart people are actually the dummies of society. And I dont mean just the badInteresting but flawed premise betrayed by very poor character development. The show is all about science, specifically biology and chemistry, but as is typical with bad writing, to create some form of drama, every scientist is evil, delusional, or a total f*up. You know... because like most of hollywood drivel, smart people are actually the dummies of society. And I dont mean just the bad guy scientists, even the good ones make monumental mistakes every season meanwhile all the uneducated normal people who didnt spend a day using their brain are apparently brilliant and can do no wrong. It is insulting and I am tired of it. Minus 3 points for that insulting portrayal.

The idea of this show is that human clones were made by curious scientists but the experiment got hijacked by the government and other organization for profit or weapons or whatever. Although they do a good job with the science as the show plays out, the glaring problem is that none of the organization have any good reason for anything they do. All of the things that drive them can be done without the clones or with new ones and it would be practically trivial to repeat the clone experiment as many times as they want. To force engagement from the clones, they were (as you might already guess), given health problems... yea its cheesy. But lets suspend our brains for a minute.

For the most part, the actor for the female clone does a good job playing so many parts, in fact she is impressive even if some of the characters are not very strong and despite a few minor hiccups here and there. For instance, there were a scene where an English accent was mixed up with Australian but honestly I thought it made for a good laugh. The show does not always take itself seriously which help relax some of the blunders and plot holes.

Give it a shot but be warned if you are a nerd or science geek you will notice the insulting tone. Everyone else wont care and will likely enjoy the show.

1. Reviewed by: Jeff Jensen
    May 15, 2013
    Slowly, a smartly constructed epic is taking shape.
    [A] gritty, visceral, and emotionally engaging thriller.
  3. Reviewed by: Curt Wagner
    Apr 1, 2013
    As Sarah makes one shocking discovery after another, Orphan Black weaves an increasingly intricate, suspenseful tale.