• Network: PBS , BBC Two
  • Series Premiere Date: Nov 6, 2011
  • Season #: 1
7.3

1. Jul 26, 2012
    I felt compelled to write a review after reading Alessandra Stanley's mixed review for the New York Times. I can see why some Americans would be offended by this film, but David Hare's script is flawless. Judy Davis and Bill Nighy are amazing.
  2. Nov 9, 2011
    I was looking forward to seeing this movie mostly because Bill Nighy has charmed me since I saw him in "The Boat that Rocked," and Rachel Weisz is a curiosity piece now that she's Mrs. James Bond (which is how she's billed on a recent cover of Chatelaine). The movie should have been a perfect selection for Masterpiece Contemporary, but it was mostly talking heads, although the heads that talked were some of the best in British film and theater. Instead of highly stylized art, it was a morass of muddled conversations about art, high government corruption, father-daughter relationships, and more high government corruption. Fortunately, Bill Nighy is so elegant and understated, he can fascinate you even if he's reciting a list, and Ralph Fiennes is also a master of subtlety, absolutely necessary for a film that is trying to be so subtle that if you blink, you'll miss major exchanges of suppressed emotional fury. Everyone else just did their job as well as they could under the circumstances. Weisz was miscastâ Expand

1. Reviewed by: Alessandra Stanley
    Nov 4, 2011
    It's the right cast in the right setting but with a wrongfully righteous script.
  2. Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Nov 4, 2011
    This small gem of a film manages to be a finely drawn character piece and a searching exploration of what powerful people will (and won't) do to keep their countries safe, and it provides some great actors with meaty roles along the way.
  3. Reviewed by: Matthew Gilbert
    Nov 4, 2011
    The movie is so carefully stylized, any and all emotional import has been sucked out of it.