7.4

1. Mar 12, 2015
    I was looking forward to seeing this movie mostly because Bill Nighy has charmed me since I saw him in The Boat that Rocked. The movie was a perfect selection for Masterpiece Contemporary, even though a good part of it was devoted to talking heads, although the heads that talked were some of the best in British film and theater. Highly stylized, it was occasionally a thicket ofI was looking forward to seeing this movie mostly because Bill Nighy has charmed me since I saw him in The Boat that Rocked. The movie was a perfect selection for Masterpiece Contemporary, even though a good part of it was devoted to talking heads, although the heads that talked were some of the best in British film and theater. Highly stylized, it was occasionally a thicket of intellectual conversations about art, high government corruption, father-daughter relationships, and more high government corruption.

Fortunately, Bill Nighy is so elegant and understated in the role of Johnny Worricker, he can fascinate you even if he's reciting a list, and Ralph Fiennes is also a master of subtlety, absolutely necessary for a film that is trying to be so subtle that if you blink, you'll miss major exchanges of suppressed emotional fury. Rachel Weisz was miscast as the love interest (she doesn’t really look Palestinian), but although slow-moving, Page Eight is of historical interest because the principal actors are at the height of their rather brilliant careers.

Also, in light of the subsequent two programs that followed, Page Eight can now be seen as an interesting preamble in a trilogy, followed in 2014 by the far more fascinating Part 2 (Turks & Caicos) and Part 3 (Salting the Battlefield), which puts Johnny Worricker front and center as the world’s most complex, hunted, haunted—and mature—spy.

(This review has been reposted.)
  2. Jul 26, 2012
    I felt compelled to write a review after reading Alessandra Stanley's mixed review for the New York Times. I can see why some Americans would be offended by this film, but David Hare's script is flawless. Judy Davis and Bill Nighy are amazing.

1. Reviewed by: Alessandra Stanley
    Nov 4, 2011
    It's the right cast in the right setting but with a wrongfully righteous script.
  2. Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Nov 4, 2011
    This small gem of a film manages to be a finely drawn character piece and a searching exploration of what powerful people will (and won't) do to keep their countries safe, and it provides some great actors with meaty roles along the way.
  3. Reviewed by: Matthew Gilbert
    Nov 4, 2011
    The movie is so carefully stylized, any and all emotional import has been sucked out of it.