• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 25, 2011
  • Season #: 1
7.5

1. Oct 3, 2011
    As a state department brat who flew hundreds of Pan Am flights back in the day (first class until mid-60s budget cuts sent us to coach), I should be a complete sucker for this show. But, aside from the uniforms and the logos, the show gets most things wrong. The actors, for starters, are all too young and/or unsophisticated; the women lack elegance, and the men lack distinction. I canAs a state department brat who flew hundreds of Pan Am flights back in the day (first class until mid-60s budget cuts sent us to coach), I should be a complete sucker for this show. But, aside from the uniforms and the logos, the show gets most things wrong. The actors, for starters, are all too young and/or unsophisticated; the women lack elegance, and the men lack distinction. I can no more imagine a Pan Am stewardess hiding in the galley from her mother than I can imagine Jackie Kennedy flipping off a reckless cabbie. Despite near-constant girdle checks, the stewardesses are clearly products of a women's movement that hasn't happened yet; the pilots shave their chests, and the set design (clubs, restaurants, hotel rooms) are proudly postmodern. Even the aircraft interiors, which would be so easy to get right, succumb to the anachronizing impulse, appearing much more airy and uncluttered (very 21st-century Zen) than their mid-century models. So what? Well, this show is much more about style than about characters, stories, or ideas, so it ought to have done a better job. It's either going to need MUCH stronger writing and a few new cast members or a style makeover. Or an audience that doesn't care, of course. Expand
  2. Sep 27, 2011
    One of the fall shows that I am most excited about, has a lot of potential, is still a work in progress but never the less it is very intriguing. I want to see where they go with all the characters especially the one portrayed by the talented, Christina Ricci. Love the flashbacks, the glamour and style that help take you back into the 1960´s!
  3. Dec 11, 2011
    The only interesting part of this series is the involvement with the C.I.A and that is what keeps me watching. All of the other plots and stories are pretty pointless and I usually find myself flicking through the channels when they arrive on screen. But either way the acting is pretty good and the flashbacks are half decent, providing us viewers with some character development.
  4. Aug 7, 2012
    A great story telling of history. Enticing and captivating in every way, from the brilliance of the actors to the journey it takes us on. Unfortunately for fans of the phenomenon it has been canceled due to lack of viewers. This show undoubtedly deserved to catch the public eye as well as been renewed for seasons and seasons to come. Hands down, one of the top of my lists.
  5. Oct 7, 2011
    Pan Am is no Mad Men. As of now it's entirely too lighthearted and cute for me to take seriously. I was hoping the glossy exterior would be a facade and the girls' private lives would hold the real drama, but the style of the pilot suggests they want to slop the icing on thick all-around. The bulk of the pilot's drama takes place in flashbacks which seem to be the product of aPan Am is no Mad Men. As of now it's entirely too lighthearted and cute for me to take seriously. I was hoping the glossy exterior would be a facade and the girls' private lives would hold the real drama, but the style of the pilot suggests they want to slop the icing on thick all-around. The bulk of the pilot's drama takes place in flashbacks which seem to be the product of a screenwriting roundtable of romance movie cliches. And no, they did not forget the swelling orchestral accompaniment. Ricci is a good fit here, as is her ginger co-stewardess. The espionage aspect interests me greatly, as does the globe trotting. There hasn't been a show on air to satiate that weekly adventure itch since Alias. The melodrama with the mother in the second episode was too much. However intriguing the spy angle is, it's not enough of the show to justify my watching it. I would have much rather seen an espionage thriller revolving around stewardesses than a girl-powered melodrama with the 60's airline as its backdrop. Expand
  6. Nov 15, 2011
    Great potential still finding its way but the characters are well written and the actresses are all good. I wish more people would give it a chance. Favorite character on the show is Christina Ricci, she is amazing!
  7. Oct 5, 2011
    Original? Seemingly. Captivating? No. Interesting at all? No. I watched the first episode. There is a forced introduction of characters. And it quickly spirals into an unwatchable mess of Desperate Housewives-style fluff.
  8. Oct 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. muy buena, de lo mejor de esta segunda parte del año, buenos diálogos , buenas actuaciones, y excelente ambientación y si encima se hace entretenida que mas se le puede pedir...? Expand
  9. Nov 4, 2011
    This show has great potential to become something really interesting, with the side plot of secret agents and flight attendants, the new-girl-become-famous Laura, the many international love affairs, the charismatic cast, the awesome historical significance of these beautiful, professional women, plus the idealistic feel of a time when the world was full of unforeseen possibilities. I'mThis show has great potential to become something really interesting, with the side plot of secret agents and flight attendants, the new-girl-become-famous Laura, the many international love affairs, the charismatic cast, the awesome historical significance of these beautiful, professional women, plus the idealistic feel of a time when the world was full of unforeseen possibilities. I'm going to say the show centres around Laura, whose sister is already a flight attended, the Pilot episode, not a pun, it's a pilot episode, sees her joining the maiden flight of a new clipper jet. On board is her sister, a lovely french lady with a heartbreaking smile named Colette, and previously grounded Maggie, played by the infectious Christina Ricci. The potential here is broad, the historical stories that could be told, maybe even an appearance of Frank Abagnale Jr, Catch him if you can. I've not watched anything beyond the pilot, but I look forward to seeing what the show can come up with. Like the British Mile High without the swearing. I hope the rumours aren't true that it's all about romances now. That'll steer the show in the wrong direction. I look forward to this taking off and reaching it's full potential. Expand
  10. Jan 7, 2012
    Pan Am is amazing, cute, retro, tearjerking, awesome, cool, romantic, nice, sentimental...good, entertaining...and more...and that's all I can say about it.
  11. Oct 30, 2011
    Every week when this shows up on my que on hulu, I always watch it last. I feel that it's less important and less interesting (almost if I don't care if I watch it or not). It's a good show, just isn't anything we are all used to. Has potential though!
  12. Nov 1, 2011
    My wife and I really like this show. It's 60's time setting is a great stage of course. They do a good job of tying all the episodes together through the pilots/stewardesses private lives with each other. This helps the series so it isn't just a show about hanging out in a new destination each week.
  13. Nov 1, 2011
    I've watched two episodes now. I think it's fun and has some intrigue in it. It has left me wanting to know where things are going and precisely what is going on. I hope it sticks around.
  14. Dec 4, 2011
    I think that the show has great potential. Although I don't know if they portray the lives of the stewardesses correctly, they're spot on with the time period and events going on at that time.
  15. Oct 10, 2011
    Too many characters. Too unfocused. Pretty people with problems in 60's. Very pretty, but so what? Should appeal to the "Desperate Housewives" set, but not for me. Don't expect Madmen here.
  16. Sep 26, 2011
    Like cotton candy - tastes great but mostly air. Beautiful production values and costuming but the storyline is lackluster. Here's to hoping it gets more nutritional value.
  17. Sep 26, 2011
    Fairly accurate in presentation of facts and sights. A little too soap opera like for a higher score. Lets see how the next show comes off. There is still a lot of material and plenty of verbage that the writers can tap and fill in the story lines which could make it interesting to non airline people both from others as well as people remembering that era. The pilots were too young to beFairly accurate in presentation of facts and sights. A little too soap opera like for a higher score. Lets see how the next show comes off. There is still a lot of material and plenty of verbage that the writers can tap and fill in the story lines which could make it interesting to non airline people both from others as well as people remembering that era. The pilots were too young to be very real. I never saw an airline pilot less than in his mid 40s anywhere in the world much less the world's most experienced airline, Pan Am. I think they should bring more of the history of Pan Am out and the importance to this country and the world. Pan Am was the name of aviation travel for the world and it wrote most of the book in human history of it. Expand
  18. Sep 26, 2011
    I feel like this show has great potential. It has beautiful production and costume, and some potentially interesting story lines. I also think the premise is pretty brilliant. I was at times put off by the acting, the story seemed overall pretty boring, and I felt like everyone was trying too hard. I will hang in past the pilot to check it out hoping it settles into a groove, but I am aI feel like this show has great potential. It has beautiful production and costume, and some potentially interesting story lines. I also think the premise is pretty brilliant. I was at times put off by the acting, the story seemed overall pretty boring, and I felt like everyone was trying too hard. I will hang in past the pilot to check it out hoping it settles into a groove, but I am a little skeptical. Expand
  19. Sep 27, 2011
    I loved it. It was very much a pilot episode- you get to know all the characters involved and there's not much to it other than that, but it's so well-made and interesting! Loved how glamorous and yet realistic it is.
    The production and overall looks of everything is very very good. Very good graphics, wardrobe and everything.
    It's all in very good taste. To be honest , i never liked Mad
    It's all in very good taste.
    To be honest , i never liked Mad Men all that much, it was so boring. Watched about 3 seasons of deathly boredom. This is the same decade and it's youthful and good. I really loved it.
  20. Oct 6, 2011
    Pan Am is a wonderful walk down memory lane. Back to a time when things seemed more elegant, where people were more courteous, and life seemed good...and flying really was a fun experience. Back to a day when girls and boys really did think being a stewardess or a pilot was cool and glamourous. I enjoy the music, the fashions, everything. I hope this show will remain on the air for a veryPan Am is a wonderful walk down memory lane. Back to a time when things seemed more elegant, where people were more courteous, and life seemed good...and flying really was a fun experience. Back to a day when girls and boys really did think being a stewardess or a pilot was cool and glamourous. I enjoy the music, the fashions, everything. I hope this show will remain on the air for a very long, long time. It's nice to have a show that doesn't rely on sex, violence or vulgarity to be popular. Expand
  21. Oct 17, 2011
    Subject: Pan Am TV Series Oct 2011

Subject: Pan Am TV Series Oct 2011

There are many books written by former Pan Am stewardesses and pilots. They all seem to have their stories very much in common and soon become by themselves repetitious. Pan Am stewardesses, while important and necessary to the benefit, welfare and safety of passengers, are not all there was to Pan Am. What is desperately missing were interesting, adventurous and exciting factual stories which begin on the ground. For instance, the public would be interested to know how potential stewardesses and other supporting employees were hired. As a former PanAm Station Manager, who came up from the ranks, let it be known that applicants indicating having been bored would not be hired for any position. For stewardess prospects, there are grueling, difficult stress interviews which are extremely selective. Let us not forget the hundreds of thousands of employees who made Pan Am the greatest airline by also working in â
  22. Nov 6, 2011
    The BEST thing about this show is the uniform! The Cast is HORRIBLE! The Writing is weak! I can't believe this show is still on TV! Charlie's Angels was much better than this show. If they intend to be around next Season, the Writers must step their game up and they need more Crew on-board the flights ,,, at least 10 Crew members. It's just a STUPID show!
  23. Nov 17, 2011
    I like the flair in the show, character could be a bit "rougher" but it is good entertainment! The story line so far is a bit all over the place, each episode seeming to basically stand by itself.
  24. Jan 25, 2012
    I love it! I love the stories and the characters, I would have opted for older pilots but aside from that Michael Mosley and Mike Vogel are doing a great Job!
  25. Feb 19, 2012
    This show is absolutely delightful! I watch very LITTLE TV and the creative plot lines on Pan Am have me truly hooked! I just watched the season finale and truly hope that ABC brings this treat of a TV show back for a second season!
  26. Feb 28, 2012
    i´m delighted with this production encounters only in the great films of cinema, each chapter is better than the last, my congratulations to the producers, hope we have a second season.
  27. Mar 9, 2012
    After concluding season one I must say I am left wanting more. I was unsure if my time would be wasted going into the series, due to the lack of advertising spent on this particular series. However I was pleasantly surprised by the acting, drama and story line. Now I am left with disappointing rumors of the shows possible demise. This TV series has moved me to right this review, my veryAfter concluding season one I must say I am left wanting more. I was unsure if my time would be wasted going into the series, due to the lack of advertising spent on this particular series. However I was pleasantly surprised by the acting, drama and story line. Now I am left with disappointing rumors of the shows possible demise. This TV series has moved me to right this review, my very first review. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Nancy Franklin
    Sep 26, 2011
    The new shows are more concerned with hitting their marks and getting the sociology right than with character, but Pan Am has a bit of style to it, and a note of darkness, and the formula might just work.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Sep 26, 2011
    Pan Am is nostalgic bonbons for the mind, made with the finest ingredients.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Sep 26, 2011
    Right now Pan Am doesn't seem to know exactly what it wants to be; it's experimenting with tone, and seeing what works and what doesn't. That's the kind of attitude that, if done right, should lead to an interesting series. [30 Sep 2011, p.62]