• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date:
  • Season #: 1
8.3

1. Oct 24, 2013
    Beautiful, complex and engaging. Unlike another reviewer, I was captivated until the WWII scenes hit, where I felt like the action was slowed way down and I just wanted to get back to the "real story" of the relationships of the central characters. Overall, a great show though, perfectly cast, smart and passionate.
  2. Jun 29, 2013
    This is something like Downtown Abbey, as nearly every reviewer mentions. I'd say it has less guilty-pleasure fun, and more smarrts and art to it. There are a few filmmaking devices that we're not generally accustomed to seeing on television that are pretty refreshing.
    Another way of contrasting it with Downton, as I've noticed from the user reviews for and against, is that this isn't
    the kind of story where one should necessarily choose a character to sympathize with. In Downton there are 15 characters and enough soap opera to go around. There it's hard not to pick a character to love or hate. Parade's End is more of a well-rendered look at complex characters from a particular time and place. You need not like Downton to enjoy Parade's End. Expand
  3. May 15, 2013
    In general i'm a period serial fan, but this imo, is shockingly poor, terrible acting, cumberpatch, lol lives up to his name cold and boring the plot is just lacking, seems to be relying on the 'in house' anglophile vote from our distant cousins. sad really, relying on the gullible.
  4. May 11, 2013
    The first thing about this series is that the photography and production design is sumptuous and stunning. Even if the story and characters were of no interest, the visual appeal of this is memorable.

The only strange thing in this aspect of the production is that the music in scenes for the parties is jazz 1920s sounding jazz. It is very odd and historically inaccurate for the social
    status of the story as jazz entered England in 1919, apparently.

As to the core of it, well, it is an abbreviated working of a complex set of novels written in a certain way and Stoppard has done well with the time limits etc of the medium. It works but one is always aware of what is being abridged to make it fit.

Cumberbatch is the most intense, internal English leading man in a long while and seems to have borrowed Jeremy Irons's mandible crunching pensiveness. But he is absolutely right here.

Hall as Sylvia Tietjens is ravishing and confused in right order. Her performance is entitled' and arrogant, though it might be a bit too modern in its overtness.

Highly recommended.
  5. May 11, 2013
    I don't like watching series or movies based on the wars but I watched this because of Benedict Cumberbatch and I have fallen in love with this series. I have not read the novels or have any idea about the writer but if the books are even half as good as the TV adaptation, they must be a must- read. Christopher Teijens is a brilliant, very committed and decent gentleman. He has a wife who cheats on him and he is love with a girl. At the backdrop is the world war 1. If you are looking for a story, there is not much of it but the true star of the show is the direction, cinematography, amazingly poetic dialogues and unblemished acting by the whole cast. The music compliments the settings and the backdrop very well. Benedict Cumberbatch has shown the world how talented he is. Flawless acting, deep emotions and superb voice modulations. Rebecca Hall and Adelaide Clemens have made the characters of Sylvia and valentine unforgettable.

Don't watch this if you are a fan of fast paced action. This is for patient, connoisseurs of literature and romantics. Watch it for intelligent viewership.
  6. Mar 20, 2013
    This is an extremely ambitious, loyal and high-end adaptation of Ford Madox Ford's tetralogy. In essence, it's about an old fashioned, eccentric—part Don Quixote, part John Keats—and gifted aristocrat who is self-destructively and at times comically out of his time. His moral code is constantly challenged and tested by those around him, which creates ample conflict and drama for us to feast on. Benedict Cumberbatch, Rebecca Hall and Adelaide Clemens' performances are exceptionally magnetic. Keep in mind, the miniseries plays like a literary novel in its narrative pace and character development; definitely not suited for the mass culture consumers. Expand
  7. Mar 5, 2013
    In spite of ravishing cinematography, beautiful dialog, and impeccable acting, this series will most likely have limited appeal in the US because of subtle character development and deliberative pace. For those such as myself who found Downton Abbey' a yawning bore, this series will represent a lush alternative. For the mainstream masses, the opposite will be true.
  8. Mar 4, 2013
    Booooooooring. Although pretty to look at I couldn't care less about these very annoying people. I thought maybe once he went off to WWI I might see some real depth to character...well that lasted for two minutes. The only bright spot is Stephen Graham who can go from being Al Capone to a pathetic Scotsman, fun to watch which Parade's end isn't.

1. Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Feb 26, 2013
    While Hall (who plays Tietjens' wife, Sylvia) and Cumberbatch do a fine job of portraying two mismatched people who are nevertheless stuck with each other for a bunch of social, cultural and personal reasons--some of which even they don't understand--Parade's End is often at war with itself.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Feb 26, 2013
    Although affecting at times, Parade's End tends to congeal rather than gel.
  3. Reviewed by: Matthew Gilbert
    Feb 26, 2013
    The unfolding of the Parade’s End narrative has been directed (by Susanna White) and written to challenge--sometimes too much so. While you always understand the connections among the characters on “Downton,” you have to piece them together yourself in Parade’s End.... It’s the kind of demanding storytelling that differentiates “The Wire” from most other crime series.