Partners (2012) : Season 1

• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 24, 2012
5.3

1. Nov 29, 2012
    From the moment I laid eyes upon this sitcom, I couldn't help but think to myself, "Man, this tries so hard to be like 'Will & Grace'!" and guess what? I WAS RIGHT!

Look, we all admit that we loved kitsch stereotype humor when being gay and on television was a career ending thing, but was our little guilty pleasure because everyone just loves an underdog, and no one does underdog better than a flamboyant, gay character.

I agree that Michael Urie is comedic genius whose portrayal as a gay man all but validates me as a gay man, but I didn't read a single review and I too thought "Wow, there is just no chemistry between the gay characters (Wyatt's Brandon Routh...and who didn't LOVE the Superman/Clark Kent reference in Episode 2? It's just too bad Brandon bases Wyatt on Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent...pretty sad when you think about it) and when the straight characters have to work at chemistry....well that says it, doesn't it?

At least in "Will & Grace", Grace had a crush on Will, who is gay, and what **** hasn't crushed on her best gay pal? And really...does EVERY gay themed sitcom HAVE to have the Sklar Brothers?

This show preys upon the most annoying gay, straight, and Jewish stereitypes (again...the Sklar Brothers...need I say more?). I mean really? Schmekle (penis)? This show needs to find its individuality fast, or it will be just another bad sketch-comedy-that-would-have-worked-better-as-a-stage-play that finds itself on the cancellation list.
  2. JBM
    Oct 19, 2012
    David Krumholtz alone is holding the audiance for this show. For a show to be successful, the characters have be likeable. Krumholtz is but that is about it. He is the only one on the cast that seems at ease with actually acting. The first episodes so far have the rest of the cast mugging and shouting their lines. The obnoxious laugh track and end of scene clapping only makes itDavid Krumholtz alone is holding the audiance for this show. For a show to be successful, the characters have be likeable. Krumholtz is but that is about it. He is the only one on the cast that seems at ease with actually acting. The first episodes so far have the rest of the cast mugging and shouting their lines. The obnoxious laugh track and end of scene clapping only makes it harder to give this mess a chance. This show might be fixable because the dialog is cleverly written at times. But they have to calm this train wreck down and quit being a gay pride parade only. Expand
  3. Oct 2, 2012
    My score corresponds to the number of times I chuckled during the second episode (the pilot was an even bigger mess), and it was mostly owing to Ally's cousin/assistant. Considering she was probably part of only a one-off gag, there's little reason for me to watch the show again.
  4. Sep 25, 2012
    It's charming on the outside, but you see that charm become irritating on the inside.
    The latest tv show by once acclaimed writers& creators David Kohan and Max Mutchnick tries so hard to live up to a show that was royalty years ago - Will & Grace. The thing that's possibly most insulting in this pilot is how these two writers try to put into one of the main characters "Louis" so many attributes that BELONGED to characters of Will &Grace - Will's consistent control over every situation, and his need to show off and embellish his boyfriend; Jacks quirky comebacks, including lines that were used on W&G, This characters relation with his secretary overly similar to Jack's and Karen, and Graces constant need to attract attention to herself. All of these are tightly contained into one big, over-the-top irritating character.
    The writers try so hard to make the relationship between these protagonist cute and fun, but it turns out to be overacted by both actors, and just seems to have 'fake' spread all around it.

1. Reviewed by: Dorothy Rabinowitz
    Sep 28, 2012
    The creators can be held responsible for enlarging the quantity of execrably written works on this theme [gay-themed sitcoms].
  2. Reviewed by: Lori Rackl
    Sep 25, 2012
    I expect more from the creators of "Will & Grace" than this lackluster comedy.
  3. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Sep 25, 2012
    Partners plays like an idea written on a napkin, if that, and looks like it's from another era (a long past era, if that wasn't clear).