- Summary: Fashion expert Louise Roe helps Plain Janes prepare for dates with their crushes. They will be given a total makeover and their new identities will be revealed at the end of each episode on their dates.
- Genre(s): Drama, Reality, Health & Lifestyle, Game Show
- Show Type: Between Seasons
- Season 1 premiere date: Jul 28, 2010
- Episode Length: 30
- Air Time: 09:00 PM
- More Details and Credits »
This makeover series isn't breaking any new ground: A wallflower, repotted and pruned, blooms overnight into an assured woman willing to tackle her dream date. The real asset here is its charming British host, style adviser Louise Roe.
Although generating the sort of minor social revolution that the five hosts of "Queer Eye" accomplished is too tall an order for even a long and lovely British gal, Roe does manage to quickly become the stylish older sister you wish you had.
While it could be captivating to watch an everyday person change everything about herself to gain confidence (Hollywood-speak for "become hotter"), it's simply unsatisfying when the magical transformation takes place thanks to a highly trained team of stylists, a personal life coach and pricey electronic equipment.
Plain Jane is more than shopping spree and vocabulary builder; it betrays a cockamamie respect for the therapeutic process, and it shouldn't be giving too much away to tell you that the snails lose, that the plain Janes blossom, and that no stimulus money has been wasted along the way.
In return for confessing to a longtime crush that she's had feelings for him, an ordinary looking woman--the "Plain Jane"--is treated to a makeover by British fashion journalist Louise Roe, whose bag of tricks doesn't extend much past what you'd see on "What Not to Wear" or a host of other shows.
- By user score