• Network: USA
  • Series Premiere Date: Jul 15, 2012
  • Season #: 1
7.2

1. Jul 22, 2012
    Great writing and snappy dialog keep this from being the usual prime time bilge. The Clinton's should get residuals! Nice to see a gay guy who is a lush and easy to dislike, I'm tired of stereotypes. This is like the "West Wing meets Smash" an intelligent soap.
  2. Jul 16, 2012
    This has got to be one of the worst mini-series efforts in the history of TV. The writing is absolutely abysmal, and the dialogue is laced with the most gratuitous profanity I've ever witnessed. The ex-prez character who's a transparent parody of Bill Clinton is especially offensive and ludicrous, a buffoon who can't utter a sentence not laden with obscenities. A disaster.
  3. Jul 17, 2012
    Predictable at times, touching at other. But overall full of much to give to us [viewers] in the future.
    I think it's a good thing it's a short series, dragging it out would only make it trying.
  4. Jul 17, 2012
    Sigourney Weaver is BRILLIANT on Political Animals! Carla Gugino, Dan Futterman and Ellen Burstyn all deliver excellent performances as well. Siqourney is just so endlessly watchable and this character allows her to show a range of emotion rarely afforded to a woman. She delivers this INCREDIBLE speech toward the end of the first episode that literally made me applaud my television. Go Sigourney! Collapse
  5. Jul 24, 2012
    Horrendous. It was exhausting trying to make it thru one episode. Atrocious writing and bad acting. As much as I'd like to place the blame of Sigourney Weaver's wooden and day time soap worthy acting on the writing, great actors sometimes give noteworthy performances, even when they are handed god awful scripts. The Clintonian President is so off target and comes off as a crude and brainless buffoon. I saw Sigorney pitching this show to John Stewart on The Daily Show and was quite intrigued, and actually looked forward to watching it. Now, I look forward to never having to sit thru another episode of this drek ever again. Expand
  6. May 27, 2013
    I hope I don't come to regret this score, but I really liked the pilot. Sigourney Weaver is totally watchable in her role. And the story skirts witty, trashy and politically relevant in an interesting way. The not so subtle nod the the Clintons just makes for good TV. As if we're surprised.
  7. Jul 18, 2012
    I rarely get into TV shows and I'm hooked on this one. Performances are the highlight. Nothing I've ever seen wrote on television and although I'm not much of a TV person, I do know a good show when I watch one.
  8. Jul 17, 2012
    At one point a character compares the Middle East to IKEA instructions, basically saying: "who knows?". But this was not a person from the street. Instead it was uttered by a staffer in the office of the Secretary of State. You'd have thought someone in that position would have something more insightful to say on the subject...

Political Animals wears everything on its sleeve. The
    writing is shallow and really serves little else than to stimulate some shallow drama. It is riddled with cliches - drug addiction, marital affair, eating disorders and it couldn't help but go for the 'blog vs. newspaper' angle. It's a painfully shallow experience. Expand
  9. Jul 16, 2012
    This was completely awful. The writing is completely incompetent. They are probably trying to be "edgy" with the sex and vulgar language, but it just comes off as pathetic. It's just a lame soap opera with no depth, insight, or redeeming value. I watch a lot of shows on the USA network, so I thought this would have that same level of quality. It really doesn't. How this got any good reviews at all is a mystery to me. Expand
  10. Jul 18, 2012
    We are very near the end of civilization as we know it. To think this dreck was greenlighted and that Sigourney Weaver consented to appear in it is mind boggling. My wife and I found ourselves wishing an alien would suddenly pop out of her chest and change the direction of this assault on the intellect and three of the five senses. It was cartoonish, tawdry and lame.
  11. Jul 18, 2012
    Signorney was outstanding-writing quick and witty-I loved every second and can't wait for the next episode-definitely on my do-not-miss (or do-DVR) list!
  12. Jul 30, 2012
    What a wonderful cast. Greg Berlanti's new show is full of strong, flawed characters who initially engender strong dislike but tend to win us over anyway. Sigourney plays an intelligent, often misunderstood, woman whose fatal weakness (and maybe also strength, is her ex-husband and ex-President played by Ciaran Hinds). Just enjoyed the third episode. What a treat seeing the mother-daughter banter between Ellen Burstyn and Sigourney. Vanessa Redgrave has such a strong presence as Sigourney's mentor. Political Animals is developing well and promises further meshing of human bravery, frailty and convictions! Expand
  13. Aug 8, 2012
    This is actually a pretty nice show. Tries to portray the innards of political system, while keeping a 'political family' story going. Liked it, hope were more innovative shows like this.
  14. Aug 13, 2012
    What a fresh and in depth political series. The writing is first rate and lets you get to know each character almost personally. At first you want to hate Elaine ..but as the story unfolds ..you love her strength and her ..dare I say ethics? It clearly shows that there is a fine line between the right thing to do and protecting your family. The cast is wonderful and plays off of each other perfectly. I look forward to every episode! Please keep them coming!! Expand
  15. Aug 13, 2012
    i am so hooked on this show... its such a great story with amazing characters... and the actors chosen just woow they play their part with such greatness.... i just wish there's more cause a few episodes aren't enough...
  16. Aug 22, 2012
    A powerhouse showcase for Weaver with the perfect ensemble cast. It's a slow build with the payoffs to make this worthy of a series 2. While the exploration of the family is strong its when Weaver is dealing with matters of state rather than the state of her family that the series shines.
  17. Aug 21, 2012
    I LOVE this show....I sure hope there is a season 2 that has a LOT more episodes. It has been one of those shows my husband and I have truly enjoyed...great writing and great acting....perfect in my book. I just want MORE!!!!! Thanks USA Network for a real winner!!!
  18. Aug 29, 2012
    the acting and writing is top notch... however, they need to add more to the "extras" to make the show more believable. For example... they cast only one bodyguard to protect the Secretary ?

1. Reviewed by: Gail Pennington
    Aug 27, 2012
    Fast-paced, darkly funny and scathingly sharp, Political Animals seamlessly blends family drama with real-world issues, including an early crisis in the Middle East.
  2. Reviewed by: Daniel Goldberg
    Aug 13, 2012
    If you found the parallel universe in Lost perplexing, Political Animals's sheer optimism might leave you utterly baffled. Yet Weaver's grounding performance goes beyond maternal warmth and shrewdness, because Barrish doesn't just see the best in people; she demands it.
  3. Reviewed by: Joanne Ostrow
    Jul 16, 2012
    Think the Clintons meet "Dallas" in D.C. And that, for six episodes, may be enough.