7.7

1. Jan 21, 2011
    I was really looking forward to this series. I love Fred Armisen. However, the first of six episodes ended with a thud and not much promise. I shouldn't watch this much comedic talent in one show and not even crack a smile.
  2. Apr 26, 2014
    Portlandia is a comedy sketch show in which Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein play a variety of different characters, all of whom (unsurprisingly) live in the city of Portland.

Armisen and Brownstein are undoubtedly fine comic actors and they slip effortlessly between the eclectic group of characters they both play, unfortunately however the sketches themselves are far too hit and
    miss. I personally found that only about half of the sketches were remotely funny and even some of those were dragged out for longer than they need to be.

Unless you perhaps live in Portland I'd give this a miss.

1. Reviewed by: Phillip Maciak
    Mar 3, 2011
    Knowing but not pretentious, snarky but not sneering, Portlandia succeeds both as farce and as faithful representation of a population for whom the dream--of the '90s or anything else, for that matter--is still alive.
    Is this hipster-lampooning sketch show a little too cool for school (or, more appropriately, too cool for postgraduate-juggling studies)? Maybe. But there are funny moments, too.
  3. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    Jan 21, 2011
    While the first two episodes of Portlandia are hit-and-miss, its good-natured satire generally hits, as they say, pretty close to home.