7.5

1. Apr 22, 2012
    Having watched Series 1-5, I can say that Primeval is a really gripping show to watch. Rarely predictable, there are many twists and turns in the plot to keep the viewer satisfied. The special effects weren't too good in Series 1, but gradually got better, and Series 3 onwards all keep a satisfying level of visual effects. Hopefully, we'll get a Series 6, because I really want this to continue.
  2. Mar 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just watched this for the very first time and I've loved each episode. The Dodo episode (Episode 4) was the best. I'm not usually one for sci-fi monster/dinosaur programs but this is an exception. I love it and can't wait to put the Series 2 discs in my DVD player and see what happens especially after that last episode in series one. Expand
  3. Jun 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved the first season of this series as it had something new! It was shown very late on Friday nights on our Belgian TV. I felt that the series was going somewhere --- but then for some reason they thought it would be a wonderful idea to start kill off main characters for the 'kick' - thought good writers could keep it interesting without having to kill their own characters --- my favourite character Capt. Ryan got killed and I really didn't want to see more of them getting a 'cliffhanger' send off so I never bothered to watch the other series --- Expand
  4. Sep 29, 2011
    Having watched seasons 1-4, I decided to post a General Review on the beginning.

This is perhaps a prime example of bad thinking - British style! And I hate pointing this out, being British myself, but no one seems to either want to or to see it.

Everything, from the writing, casting, development and production is flawed, in -oh so many ways. There are no genuine characters in this
    series, only 'character types' i.e. the angry and surly genius, the gun toting hotty, the token female sex kitten, the goofy oddball and the main character love interest. This kind of sloppy, ham-fisted way of writing is(unfortunately)a staple of British drama, with only a few things not tied to that horrible brush.

While I will express interest and general enthusiasm in the visuals(the animals are all very well done, especially for a British TV budget)-I'm not willing or able to forgive the horrid thing that the visuals make up for. You watch a show, not for the graphics you get to see, but to watch the story unfold, to become interested in the characters and want them to succeed. If-as I am-you're a sci-fi lover, do not expect rational explanations for this, the flag of suspension of disbelief is flying high over this series from the get-go. While with time travel, you can use the flag, this series uses it unabashedly constantly and gives tenchobable answers that would make the crews of Voyager and the NX Enterprise turn and say 'Huh?'

As the series progresses, you'd think that the writing would improve and the story would get going(we all can agree that it's a rarity that any series gets it all right on the first season)but you'd be wrong, as the series progresses, the rationalizations get more and more ludicrous, to such a level at the end of season three that I practically had to turn off my brain to get through it.

I'm not expecting a great deal out of season five and I seriously hope that they don't do a season six, plug that money for something that has decent characters and story.

All in all, the series was flawed from the beginning, with the creator of the documentary Walking with Dinosaurs coming up with the initial pitch idea-ideas for documentaries don't translate well into drama-EVER!
  5. Sep 23, 2012
    Season 1 launches the series off strongly, with solid character development and a tidy, well-contained story. Some of the creatures are underwhelming (not even one dinosaur?), and the plot is more linear than the other seasons, but overall it makes for a fast, offbeat, funny, engaging, and all-around epic viewing experience.
  6. Aug 22, 2013
    Primeval has to be my favourite sci-fi TV show of all time. It has funny relatable characters, awesome creatures, a plot that makes sense and an awesome cast. 10 OUT OF 10!!!!

Though it’s kid-friendly, there are things for adults to enjoy. Henshall is a quietly appealing actor, the pace is crackling and the dialogue has its share of witty asides.
  2. Dinosaurs are certainly alive and well in Primeval, a crackling-good new BBC America sci-fi series thriller that's packed with vivid CGI prehistoric predators galore and a story line that's almost plausible.
    With its campy humor, poignant drama and potent scares, Primeval will appeal equally to adults and children.