Pushing Daisies : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2
8.3

1. CygnetB.
    Oct 3, 2007
    This show was just stupid. The show was dry, the story dumb. The actors, however, were great. I love the collection of great actors, but when they were "doing their craft" I wondered who wrote this drivel... If you think it's gonna get better, you will probably be surprised when the show itself is "pushing daisies" CYG- Neilsen Rater.
  2. harv
    Oct 8, 2007
    Exactly 5 minutes 2 seconds and 3 milliseconds into the show I found myself hating the show violently. I also violently hated it. (This is the type of writing which passes for wit on the show).
  3. TK
    Oct 11, 2007
    I can't believe this is getting such high marks. It's awful. What an idiotic premise. I watched the first 30 minutes and had to change the channel. Silly, pretentious and schmaltzy...
  4. LyndaIvey
    Oct 10, 2007
    Big fat 0. Tries way too hard.
  5. Mike.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Apparently it's the thing now for the narrator to be excessively annoying. The narrator feels the need to introduce every single character with their age in years, months, days, and hours. This is nothing short of painfully annoying. Meanwhile the music is nearly a half hour of non-ceasing flowery strings, which is enough to give me a headache. This show is much better in concept Apparently it's the thing now for the narrator to be excessively annoying. The narrator feels the need to introduce every single character with their age in years, months, days, and hours. This is nothing short of painfully annoying. Meanwhile the music is nearly a half hour of non-ceasing flowery strings, which is enough to give me a headache. This show is much better in concept than it is in post-production execution. Expand
  6. AndrewK
    Oct 10, 2007
    I didn't last the first 20 minutes. I guess the magic kicked in after that -- but the visuals are impressive. Is anybody else uncomfortable with deboning death to that degree?
  7. TimH.
    Oct 8, 2007
    This show would be great but for the absolutely dreadful soundtrack and voice over. It makes the show unwatchable! After seeing the reviews I was looking forward to this one but it's simply dreadful!
  8. MatiasB
    Feb 19, 2008
    After watching two episodes I realized I could have downloaded something less idiotic and overacted.
  9. PaulW
    Aug 25, 2008
    Dreadfully dull show with lame attempts at humor which' general flamboyance seemed to be directly ripped off of the movie Amelie. The same blue light cinematography and the same annoying narration, the sets were kindly borrowed too. The score is a rip off of the more familliar Tim Burton films and the entire premise pinched from the already done to death mockeries such as the tv Dreadfully dull show with lame attempts at humor which' general flamboyance seemed to be directly ripped off of the movie Amelie. The same blue light cinematography and the same annoying narration, the sets were kindly borrowed too. The score is a rip off of the more familliar Tim Burton films and the entire premise pinched from the already done to death mockeries such as the tv series Heroes. (We don't need another hero). I barely made it through the pilot. Expand
  10. Gene
    Oct 15, 2007
    Watched it once, didn't like it. Gave it a second chance, had to turn it off after the first half.
    Oct 3, 2007
    Cutesy and contrived and heavy as lead. Not my cup of tea.
  12. Len
    Oct 6, 2007
    Truly horrible. Pretentious, witless dialogue and a depressing story.A real downer and subtle as an anvil.
  13. Ann
    Oct 7, 2007
    Yecccch.
  14. Sharon
    Oct 7, 2007
    A really dumb show masquerading as a really smart show.
  15. JF
    Oct 19, 2007
    Maybe it's just me, but this show is like Tim Burton trying to do comedy. It isn't nearly as cute as it things it is and the whole AIDS-metaphor (they're in love but they can't touch, unless they're in full body condoms) seems really out of date. The narration is annoying beyond belief and everything seems to be a great idea in search of a show. It's already boring.
  16. G.Fresh
    Oct 25, 2007
    Different is not always better, and the proof is Pushing Daisies. Obviously there are a lot of talented people working on this show, save for the writers who deliver mind numbingly boring stories. If the show is going to get better, try writing storylines that are challenging for those over three years old.
  17. EvelynD
    Mar 29, 2008
    Why?? This is a epic fail. of epic porporshuns. Waaay to british (not that theres anything wrong the brits) and corny. This belongs in the PBS Kids line up.
  18. Nov 1, 2010
    This show is mind-numbingly boring. The concept is fantastic and the writers and narrator outright ruined a potentially brilliant idea. The narrator explains things as though speaking to a two year old and does so in excessive detail. The characters are two-dimensional and even within such restrictive bounds they're character and story-line don't match up. For example, a girl gets broughtThis show is mind-numbingly boring. The concept is fantastic and the writers and narrator outright ruined a potentially brilliant idea. The narrator explains things as though speaking to a two year old and does so in excessive detail. The characters are two-dimensional and even within such restrictive bounds they're character and story-line don't match up. For example, a girl gets brought back from the dead. She's pushy, 'in-you-face' annoying and does whatever she wants, whenever she wants, irrespective of others. Her background story is as a stay at home 'nurse-maid' to her two Aunts, doing what she was told and being a polite little 'good-girl'. Her only transition was leaving home to get a job where she did what she was told and died in the process. Huh? The writers must have been asleep. The only way one could possibly know the actors are good is if they've seen them in something else because in Pushing Daisies they have precious little to work with, including lines. For the most part the narrator stole them.

How this show managed to get past the pilot episode is a miracle that may only be explained by the good reputation of 'Dead Like Me'. My advice, give this one a miss.

It's a whimsical, romantically inventive and darkly funny pop-up hour about a man (Lee Pace) whose touch can bring the dead back to life (but also, yikes, vice versa).
  2. The hour balances its caper-cartoon and ghoulish sensibilities with a crisp pace and well-cast leads.
  3. As charming as all that is amid the macabre, Pushing Daisies is a show that only a grown-up can fully enjoy.