Season #: 1, 2
4.5

1. UmNo
    Apr 24, 2008
    Truly awful, unwatchable garbage. A bunch of whiny, amoral twentysomethings endlessly complaining about their uninteresting, selfish lives. Good riddance to this this "show".
  2. JoshP
    Feb 28, 2008
    Well its lovely to see that the pervasive disease that is cynicism is well and alive(Burt H). Ripping on art people generically is about the easiest thing to do. Yet you wouldn't have any shred of aesthetic perception and an ability for preferences that drives your fantasies without artists, writers, film makers and tv. The whole reason your favorite book, show, music, etc exists is Well its lovely to see that the pervasive disease that is cynicism is well and alive(Burt H). Ripping on art people generically is about the easiest thing to do. Yet you wouldn't have any shred of aesthetic perception and an ability for preferences that drives your fantasies without artists, writers, film makers and tv. The whole reason your favorite book, show, music, etc exists is because it was built on exploring that what dwells beneath. Many people just live a surface level existence and i think you prove that quite well or disguise it with your bitterness I could agree that who wants to see mopy, twenty-somethings trying to find themselves. I mean its like looking in the mirror. And sure it shares commonalities with Thirty-something and My So Called Life, but why is it that poignant and self reflecting shows are such a turnoff to modern audiences? We think we want to be wowed by special effects, but as is the case with most good universal praise why Batman Begins is much better than Fantastic Four(either) is that because the story line is character driven. So while this writers strike went on they filled the air with more reality shows and everyone got bored. The more exciting shows like Heroes and Lost have their flaws as well. Nobody can believably sympathize with characters from Lost. It's brilliant serial fantasy, but the characters lack the vulnerability that those on Quarterlife showed. Two different worlds i suppose, but even Heroes with its X-Men like plot is still a tidge bit too wooden for believability. I'm the sap that loves Michel Gondry and longs for a day when more movies are made with heart rather than worried about staying on budget. Expand
  3. BrandonU.
    Feb 27, 2008
    Not the greatest, but in a world where people actually watch American Idol and Two and a Half Men, the overblown claims of its all-time awfulness are getting quite old.
  4. Jurgen
    Feb 27, 2008
    This show does not have a very interesting premise, but can work in the right conditions. These are not the right conditions... Shows like this only work if you like and want to get to know the main characters better. After several minutes of the show I was bored and annoyed by most of them. The mostly main character, Dylan, was whiny, immature and neurotic, and not in a way that was even This show does not have a very interesting premise, but can work in the right conditions. These are not the right conditions... Shows like this only work if you like and want to get to know the main characters better. After several minutes of the show I was bored and annoyed by most of them. The mostly main character, Dylan, was whiny, immature and neurotic, and not in a way that was even remotely endearing. The other characters were either unlikeable (the shallow, jerk cheating on his girlfriend) or uninteresting (the forgettable girlfriend who the "artist" Jed also likes, or the actress roommate). The only person remotely interesting was Jed, but even he was kind of lame because he ends up going after his "best friend's" girlfriend, who is bland and unattractive physically or personality-wise, so you wonder what the big deal is and why both these guys are into her. (Perhaps that is the fault of the actress playing her? Her friend Dylan describes her as someone interesting and engaging, but we never witness that...) Basically I had to force myself to finish watching the show, so I could give it a fair chance, but I'd rather have that time back. Expand
  5. NickJ.
    Feb 27, 2008
    It had potential; It's just so unrealistic and boring that it almost fails completely.
  6. BurtH.
    Feb 27, 2008
    In the same vein as pretty much every "smart 20-something" movie of the early 90's, it shows how once out of college that you once again have no idea what you want to do with your life much like when right before college. So bunking up with friends, having sex and forming fragile relationships with unstable artistic people seems to be the way to go. Quarterlife presents the idea that In the same vein as pretty much every "smart 20-something" movie of the early 90's, it shows how once out of college that you once again have no idea what you want to do with your life much like when right before college. So bunking up with friends, having sex and forming fragile relationships with unstable artistic people seems to be the way to go. Quarterlife presents the idea that through video blogging, you can vent the frustrations of being an artist that cannot express themselves and piss off their friends at the same time by saying things they don't really care to have the whole world knowing. When really, everyone who video blogs is shouting to deaf ears when no one really gives a shit what you have to say, anyway. But I digress. Quarterlife is another attempt at the magic of Friends, My So Called Life and a handful of other weepy 20-something dramas. It sucks being young, yes. It sucks to be old, yes. Is anyone ever really happy? No. Does work suck? Yes. Do relationships suck? Most definately. Will you ever get paid to do what you love? Doubtful. There. I just simplified the world for you, so watching this show will be a waste of time now. I'd apologize, but I wouldn't really mean it. Maybe if I video blogged it for you, then maybe you can see how I REALLY feel. Expand

Oh big sigh indeed. Quarterlife, is just plain creepy.... Rather than developing a clique of layered individuals, as they've done before, Herskovitz and Zwick deliver a small culture of flat, irritating generational emblems.
    Though it soon settles into the standard patterns of an above-average (if overwrought) drama, the first episode of quarterlife may make you regret the creation of the Internet.
  3. Doesn't sound like the formula for compelling, consequential drama, but quarterlife manages to take these typically narcissistic young adults and make them legitimately interesting.