Raines : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Mar 15, 2007
8.6

1. KealanB
    Apr 4, 2007
    It bothers me that many of the reviews above draw comparisons with THE GHOST WHISPERER, and mention a cop who "sees ghosts" when in fact he's imagining the victim. This is evident in the way the victims change in appearance, disposition etc. the more he learns about them. I think Goldblum is perfectly cast, and the interplay between him and Craven is superb. This show deserves a It bothers me that many of the reviews above draw comparisons with THE GHOST WHISPERER, and mention a cop who "sees ghosts" when in fact he's imagining the victim. This is evident in the way the victims change in appearance, disposition etc. the more he learns about them. I think Goldblum is perfectly cast, and the interplay between him and Craven is superb. This show deserves a renewal, or indeed a full season, but unfortunately it may be a little too kitschy for prime time, and the move to the Friday Night Death Slot certainly doesn't help matters. It would be a shame to see it canceled. Expand
  2. EzekielS
    Apr 30, 2007
    Jeff Goldblum plays the part perfectly and its gutsy and refreshing to see a show that does not go ultra violent like Law and Order/CSI etc. and at the same time decided to not go supernatural. Further, the show focuses on the positive, what it menas to be alive... instead of how weird can we dream up somebody being killed. Hard for me to catchit on Fridays, I hope it finds a new night Jeff Goldblum plays the part perfectly and its gutsy and refreshing to see a show that does not go ultra violent like Law and Order/CSI etc. and at the same time decided to not go supernatural. Further, the show focuses on the positive, what it menas to be alive... instead of how weird can we dream up somebody being killed. Hard for me to catchit on Fridays, I hope it finds a new night next season. Expand
  3. leef
    Mar 15, 2007
    If they could just turn down the music so we can hear what the hell the characters are saying it would be great. Not exciting, and Goldblum seems like he's sleepwalking, but maybe it will find it way.
  4. JohnE
    Apr 23, 2007
    Fresh, absorbing, funny. Goldblum is brilliant.
  5. JeanM.
    May 17, 2007
    Well-written, well-acted shows are not all that plentiful - I sincerely hope 'Raines' returns next season, and is not elbowed aside by another awful, awful 'reality' series.
  6. VixianaW
    May 8, 2007
    I don't have a TV, but every Friday night I go to a friends house to watch this show. I usually stay for L&O, but this is the one that caught me. Jeff is fabulously Jeff, the supporting players are brilliantly cast, it's slightly spooky, they wear reasonable clothes (but I do suggest a crossover with the Ghost Whisper girl and those dominatrix boots) and it's thoughtful and I don't have a TV, but every Friday night I go to a friends house to watch this show. I usually stay for L&O, but this is the one that caught me. Jeff is fabulously Jeff, the supporting players are brilliantly cast, it's slightly spooky, they wear reasonable clothes (but I do suggest a crossover with the Ghost Whisper girl and those dominatrix boots) and it's thoughtful and intelligent. I hope it returns for the fall season. Otherwise it's Fellini movies and season 3 of 24 for us. Expand
  7. SusanL.
    Mar 1, 2008
    "I see dead people." Crime victims, that is. Nobody does smart flakiness like Jeff Goldblum. I hope they bring it back.
  8. LelandK
    Mar 16, 2007
    Interesting show. The only problem is that it is overdone from CSI, Ghost Whisperer, and Monk. However, i liked Goldblum's performance as a detective with a film noir characteristic.
  9. GloriaF
    Mar 17, 2007
    Best cop show I've seen in a long time. Enjoyed it so much I watched the repeat the next night. The ending was superb - touching!
  10. PW
    Mar 23, 2007
    I've only seen two of these, but the writing is deft, the acting is tops, and the wit is dry. I find this serious VERY enjoyable. Look forward to more.
  11. AdamA
    Mar 27, 2007
    The show has an interesting premise and a good performance, but was poorly executed. It has potential, but only if the writers can fully utilize the concept of the show.
  12. TeomanT
    Apr 11, 2007
    In the series, the events surrounding Raines (Jeff Goldblum) have been done before by other drama/crime shows. However, this show is not about the events surrounding Raines. This is not like such show as CSI or Law and Order. This show is more like Battlestar Galactica. It is a character driven show. Instead of multiple characters (like in Battlestar Galactica) there is a single In the series, the events surrounding Raines (Jeff Goldblum) have been done before by other drama/crime shows. However, this show is not about the events surrounding Raines. This is not like such show as CSI or Law and Order. This show is more like Battlestar Galactica. It is a character driven show. Instead of multiple characters (like in Battlestar Galactica) there is a single character. With each episode we learn more about the inner workings of Raines. The show is slow at times, however, it compensates with geniuin deep analysis of Raines. It is a welcome change from most of the other shows that occupy the network airwaves. Unlike cable tv there are very few shows in the networks that are trully original. What I mean is, in most shows it doesnt really matter if you miss an episode (CSI, Law and Order etc). Raines is not a show, where you really do not know the characters even after 7 seasons and the characters have not changed at all. The acting is very good. Jeff Goldblum is superb. The actors who portray the hallucinations have also done a decent job. They change with every bit of information Raines learns.The music in the background is also good and enhances the emotions the creators try to disasminate. The camera work does not hurt the show in any way. If one had to compare it to similar shows such as Medium or Ghost Whisperer series it would some out on top. First it is not as predictable as Ghost Whisperer and is deeper then Medium. Not that Medium is bad. It is also a very good effort to broadcast an original show. Maybe the series would have had more chance of renewal if it was broadcasted in a cable network (Showtime etc). At the end, trully original shows such as Dexter,Six Feet Under, Battlestar Galactica were/are broadcasted by cable tv. Expand
  13. JamesK
    Apr 2, 2007
    This is a solid show, pitched at a more cerebral audience than most of what's on the air. Goldblum is, as always, effective, although his character seems has a bitterness that doesn't always ring true coming from his likeable persona. The show premise - which is admittedly uninspiring - is not what makes it good. It is good because of its complex point of view and strong cast.
  14. CeceliaG
    Apr 23, 2007
    I am so tired of CSIs and Law and Order shows. This one is different and Jeff Goldblum's acting and the supporting cast really make it interesting. I am really unhappy there are only seven episodes. This really needs to be on NBCs schedule.
  15. DonM
    Apr 27, 2007
    Great show. Needs a little "Colombo" flavoring to include car, coat, hair, sloppiness, dog, girl friend
  16. ElizabethH
    Apr 6, 2007
    Well written, good acting. Jeff Goldblum plays Raines perfectly. This is a show with heart and substance. We look forward to watching it each week -- please keep them coming.
  17. PipT
    Apr 7, 2007
    Weird and excellent. Jeff Goldblum is wonderful in his role. He makes the weird stuff believable.
  18. RayG
    Apr 8, 2007
    jeff goldblum is very "raymond chandleresque" in raines. the stories are good and are treated a little bit differently due to the "talk to urself" premise. i think it works and i think jeff goldblum is better in this than he was in jurasic park
    Apr 9, 2007
    Its really good
  20. RobertL
    May 4, 2007
    I like this show. No bad laguage and fun to watch. Hope to see a lot more of this show.
  21. SarahL
    Mar 15, 2007
    Wasn't a perfect first episode, but Jeff Goldblum is always worth watching!!
  22. Blurb
    Mar 16, 2007
    Jeff Goldblum rocks! He owns Raines, quite literally. There is only one Goldblum in this world - there's no one like him. He's such a character, you gotta love him - his facial expressions say more in a fleeting moment than Wentworth Miller does in a whole hour of Prison Break. In that way, raines reminded me a bit of Dexter - it's all about the twisted hero. Sure, the show Jeff Goldblum rocks! He owns Raines, quite literally. There is only one Goldblum in this world - there's no one like him. He's such a character, you gotta love him - his facial expressions say more in a fleeting moment than Wentworth Miller does in a whole hour of Prison Break. In that way, raines reminded me a bit of Dexter - it's all about the twisted hero. Sure, the show had conventional moments, stereotypes, and the pacing was off, but it's the pilot episode, so give it a break! Pilot episodes always are a bit weak, cos they introduce the characters and set up the tone, both of which I loved in Raines. I mean, it was directed by Frank "Shawshank" Darabont! There were quite cinematic moments that I loved, like the "pale L.A. beaches" conversations with Raines' dead partner (who everyone guessed was dead in the first three minutes.) The established reflective mood with a little sardonic overtone thrown in also works. And he does not see dead people - he said it himself - it's just his imagination visualizing them, and the more he finds out about the victims, the more developed they become, which I actually thought was quite inventive. Another quality show for NBC - I'm hooked! Oh, and did I mention Golblum rocks? Expand
  23. EricC
    Mar 18, 2007
    Wildly boring. Twists are dull and seen coming from miles away. The premise offers no creative possibilities for the future. And Jeff Godblum will never be the amazing and daring actor he was in The Fly.
  24. JimTim
    Mar 23, 2007
    Have only watched this once. Won't watch any more. Too slow, and Goldblum's character isn't very believable. Anytime the story needs to advance he gets a vision, how convienient and predictable.
  25. Jen
    Mar 31, 2007
    I was very interested at first, the premise was just a bit different than Ghost Whisperer and Medium, but wow it was boring and so slow!
  26. CandaceC
    Mar 30, 2007
    Wow! What a great show! Jeff Goldblum is in his game. There is a old black and white detective movie feel to the show, while using humor and suspense to draw you in to the story. Goldblum shows his captivating talent every show.
  27. MehmetT
    Apr 14, 2007
    I find the criticism directed towards Raines to be unfair. This show is not generic. Let me explain this a little further. Given the circumstances, the stories in the episodes are as original as possible. I mean after years of CSIs and Law and Order stuff what else is there left to portray about crimes? As such what saves the episodes from being generic is that episodes are not actually I find the criticism directed towards Raines to be unfair. This show is not generic. Let me explain this a little further. Given the circumstances, the stories in the episodes are as original as possible. I mean after years of CSIs and Law and Order stuff what else is there left to portray about crimes? As such what saves the episodes from being generic is that episodes are not actually about the crimes, but they are about the Raines character. Each episode reveals a little bit more about a deeply scarred and lonely homicide detective (who is superbly portrayed by Jeff Goldblum) who is trying to cope with his situation by resorting to hallucinations, sarcasm, and humor; and clinging on to whatever shred of optimism that Expand
  28. alane
    Apr 19, 2007
    It's fun to watch Jeff Goldblum on the show. It's wierd, but fun to watch him every week with another "hallucination?" It'll problably get cancelled, most show I enjoy either get cncelled or stay around too long and get dumb.
  29. stevenc
    Apr 20, 2007
    a fresh show with a fine lead in goldblum
  30. MNelson
    Apr 23, 2007
    Great show with wonderful acting and great writing.

1. Entertainment Weekly
    Reviewed by: Alynda Wheat
    [It] makes Los Angeles look as dreary and sluggish as Goldblum's performance. [16 Mar 2007, p.65]
    An average, unoriginal series.
  3. As close-ended procedurals go, "Raines" certainly offers an intriguing hook, but I'm not sure it's one with much staying power.