Raising the Bar : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2
5.5

1. NC.
    Sep 2, 2008
    The pilot was deadly dull with slow pacing accented by a terrible score. Somehow pretty good actors gave lifeless performances. Maybe it was due to the poor direction. Maybe the director was hired by Bochco because he was his son.
  2. c.s.
    Sep 4, 2008
    Didn't even get through the first episode. Turned it off before the end. Expected crisp, sharp intelligent dialogue - sounded more like a freshman English assignment. Will not watch again.
  3. RW.
    Sep 2, 2008
    I was very disappointed. I was really hooked with all of the hype created prior to the premier. I will give the show one more week to strike enough interest to make me come back. if not... Then I guess it's back to WCW (kidding, of course).
  4. Dianne
    Sep 6, 2008
    Cutting edge. For 1984. Horrid acting, writing, everything.
  5. ErinJ.
    Sep 17, 2008
    Real crap. Fantasy fulfillment for some seriously inadequate former public defender. But apparently renewed for another season by TNT. Incredible.
  6. LeeF
    Sep 2, 2008
    Yuck, what a disappointment. Two of my favorite actresses (Jane Kaczmarek and Gloria Reuben) just wasted. Plot line was pretty far fetched. And it was boring to boot.
  7. JohnB.
    Sep 27, 2008
    Where do I begin? The writing is terrible, the casting is bad, the characters aren't believable, the story line is comical, the acting is worse, and the premise that all these characters from different segments of the justice system meet together after work for drinks and relationships is ludicrous. Much less than I had expected from Bochko. In my humble opinion, completely unwatchable.
  8. RaichaS.
    Sep 7, 2008
    Unwatchable. Shrill and nonsensical. The judge is totally arbitrary, without any rhyme or reason. No matter how bad you think the criminal justice system may be, it makes a lot more sense than this mess. I expected so much more from Bochco. At least some good old LA Law humor. But no. It's just a pile of poo.
  9. MattQ.
    May 21, 2009
    Where should I begin? As a former prosecutor and a current criminal defense attorney, it's ridiculous how some of these reviewers who claim to be attorneys can actually say that this show depicts how the justice system really is. Most of these liberal public defenders do more harm than good for their clients. They lie in court, and engage in unethical practices in the name of Where should I begin? As a former prosecutor and a current criminal defense attorney, it's ridiculous how some of these reviewers who claim to be attorneys can actually say that this show depicts how the justice system really is. Most of these liberal public defenders do more harm than good for their clients. They lie in court, and engage in unethical practices in the name of defending their clients. This show is nothing more than a public defenders fantasy world, where all of their clients are innocent and wrongly accused of crimes, and everyone else is corrupt or unethical. This is like every other law show, where the criminal defense attorney sleeps with the prosecutor, and kicks her butt in court every day. First of all, the female prosecutors, who sleeps with Zack from "Save By The Bell", get her butt kicked in court by Zack. And in the rare occassion that she actually wins a case and gets a conviction, the accused is really innocent. If this case really depicted a real life view of the criminal justice system, do you actually think that the female prosecutor would still have her job? Don't waste your time with this show. I had a chance to meet the lawyer that this show is based on, and he is a huge arrogant jerk. I heard that he was a horrible atorney, so go figure. Expand

These are some of the most lackluster, unimaginative trials brought to TV in years, as every defendant's guilt or innocence is written all over his or her face from the get-go.
    Bochco has made the most cutting-edge drama--of 1994. These thinly drawn characters aren't compelling, and the entire production feels dated and stagey.
    The series seems to always eschew Hollywood-style courtroom theatrics and gotcha moments for resolutions that seem truer because they involve mistakes, bad timing, compromises, dubious ethics and sweated-out smarts.