Raising the Bar : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2
5.5

1. Raprilc
    Sep 2, 2008
    TNT seemingly ran nonstop ads for this show, so I was excited to check it out. Boy was I disappointed after watching the first episode. With the exception of Gloria Reuben, I didn't find the cast intriguing at all. I actually thought most of the acting was really bad. Also, I have no idea what motivates any of these characters to do what they do, and w/o that context, everyone's TNT seemingly ran nonstop ads for this show, so I was excited to check it out. Boy was I disappointed after watching the first episode. With the exception of Gloria Reuben, I didn't find the cast intriguing at all. I actually thought most of the acting was really bad. Also, I have no idea what motivates any of these characters to do what they do, and w/o that context, everyone's actions feel contrived, hyper-dramatic and purely for the sake of television. Nothing felt real or authentic. Mark-Paul G., the main character, tries to be the hero at every turn, but he just comes off as naive and bullish. Jane K. as the judge is an ass for reasons that make no sense. (She feels so "disrespected" that she takes it out on a defendant? What?) "Raising the Bar" wants to be Ally McBeal, The Practice, and Law & Order all rolled into one. Nudge to TNT: it's not working. Expand

These are some of the most lackluster, unimaginative trials brought to TV in years, as every defendant's guilt or innocence is written all over his or her face from the get-go.
    Bochco has made the most cutting-edge drama--of 1994. These thinly drawn characters aren't compelling, and the entire production feels dated and stagey.
    The series seems to always eschew Hollywood-style courtroom theatrics and gotcha moments for resolutions that seem truer because they involve mistakes, bad timing, compromises, dubious ethics and sweated-out smarts.